Gearslover01

Winter Village Sets - Rumours and Discussion

Did I miss something or is there still no additional information about "Santa’s Front Yard and Mr & Mrs Claus’s Living Room"?

57 minutes ago, GarmadonFan said:

Did I miss something or is there still no additional information about "Santa’s Front Yard and Mr & Mrs Claus’s Living Room"?

TLGs leak hunters are doing a god job :tongue:

On 10/2/2021 at 4:39 PM, Railsplitter said:

WinterVillage.thumb.jpg.826d1d335ac2a06efa7621bd5392ede8.jpgI pulled out my winter village sets today. I usually don't start building it in October, but I have big plans this year and I worry that if I don't start now, I won't have it done by December. I'm planning a 6' x 7' layout (42 base plates) and it should end up being close to 30k pieces.

Wow, that is awesome! Please share pictures when you get going. In particular I would be interested to see how the new road pieces will look with the WV sets. I am considering adding some to my own layout but I am not sure how it will look with the surface of the road being higher than the base of the houses.

On 10/31/2021 at 10:14 AM, GarmadonFan said:

LEGO follows #legoleaks on Instagram so if there is something they don't like there it will be removed.

I'm guessing those are the two Black Friday / Cyber Monday freebies.

I wish LEGO didn't have to leave revealing things so last minute. I'm waiting to know what these GWPs are before I buy my wife's Santa's Visit and Home Alone sets for Christmas, but it's so stressful not knowing whether they are even going to still be in stock when the GWP is available. At least if I knew what the GWPs were like then I could make a decision on whether they are worth the risk waiting or not and if I should just buy the sets now. :angry:

While not winter village, it still fits in, I think the Chinese New Year Ice Festival is one of the coolest ways they built a frozen pond in an official set.

Edited by TeriXeri

13 hours ago, chris6507 said:

I wish LEGO didn't have to leave revealing things so last minute. I'm waiting to know what these GWPs are before I buy my wife's Santa's Visit and Home Alone sets for Christmas, but it's so stressful not knowing whether they are even going to still be in stock when the GWP is available. At least if I knew what the GWPs were like then I could make a decision on whether they are worth the risk waiting or not and if I should just buy the sets now. :angry:

I personally couldn't take the risk so I just went ahead and bought them. Worst case, I can buy the GWPs on eBay

On 11/6/2021 at 10:22 AM, chris6507 said:

Yes! This is exactly the problem my wife and myself face.
We tend to wait with buying sets until we get double VIP or a cool GWP as well.
Usually, only to see our products are "temporarily out of stock" at the moment we're ready to buy.
Santa's Sleigh is a good example. Not available at the moment here, and my guess is, it will not be back when the winter GWP becomes available. It has happened before.

Edited by Withacee

3 hours ago, Withacee said:

Yes! This is exactly the problem my wife and myself face.
We tend to wait with buying sets until we get double VIP or a cool GWP as well.
Usually, only to see our products are "temporarily out of stock" at the moment we're ready to buy.
Santa's Sleigh is a good example. Not available at the moment here, and my guess is, it will not be back when the winter GWP becomes available. It has happened before.

I waited last year for the GWP only to find my WV set was no longer in stock with no back order option either. I used to wait patiently for the Double VIP points and GWP to hit the buy button but not this year. It’s frustrating but I didn’t want to miss out again ☹️. I wish the WV sets came with the option to choose out of the 2 Xmas GWP sets as standard

Yeah I was waiting for the freebies to get Corner Garage but now it's OOS. It's super annoying.

Edited by Maple

38 minutes ago, Maple said:

Yeah I was waiting for the freebies to get Corner Garage but now it's OOS. It's super annoying.

Same. But might try to get one in store tomorrow before they all go.

8 minutes ago, RichardGoring said:

Same. But might try to get one in store tomorrow before they all go.

I don't live near a store.

Amazon still has it, but I swear the Corner Garage was OOS when the yacht boat was a freebie because I bought the modular Police Station instead.

It's my least favorite modular of the last few. But if LEGO is going to ask $120, $150 or $200 for a 'free' gift there needs to be better stock on the website.

I totally agree about the frustration regarding WV lego's and the GWP, and this maddening secrecy.  In the past I have waited till the GWP's to snag sets, but last year I missed out on the nutcracker and wreath with that strategy.  So this year I picked up the WV, Sleigh and Penguin, as well as last years wreath and nutcracker either before or during double points.  As for the GWP's, I really only care about them if they can be used in the WV.  So while I would not mind having the Christmas Coral set, I can live without it, but the ice skating pond was AMAZING for the WV.  So, this year I would like to know what the GWP's are, because they both have title's that indicate they might both be appropriate for my village.  I really don't understand the secrecy.  Esp with sets like the Titanic and Star Wars UCS sets, which are so expensive, that many of us would have to budget for them.  And if Lego does not show us the product until 2 weeks before it goes on sale, then I am less likely to plan on getting it.  Well, good luck to everyone in getting what they want!  

9 hours ago, Maple said:

I don't live near a store.

Amazon still has it, but I swear the Corner Garage was OOS when the yacht boat was a freebie because I bought the modular Police Station instead.

It's my least favorite modular of the last few. But if LEGO is going to ask $120, $150 or $200 for a 'free' gift there needs to be better stock on the website.

Shame. But I didn't realize Amazon sold modulars. Amazon directly, anyway. I always thought it was third parties which are overpriced.

Interestingly Walmart has it too, for $180. But it's a third party seller, and not sure I trust it. Too good to be true and all that.

Either way, I will get it today, whether store or Amazon. Good luck on getting it too.

Bringing it back to the WV, I have all the winter village sets back to 10222 Post Office, except for the train station. I like the sets, but don't feel like a collector where I need to have them all, nor do I pay over MSRP for older sets if I see them.

I occasionally check Craigslist/Facebook for LEGO listings and I've been able to get a few modulars and WV sets, which is great. Often for far less than MSRP, which is better. Yesterday I saw a load of Friends sets for only $35, so I went round and picked them up. They were all stuffed into a couple of bags, and just been going through them to find... 10259 the station! Hurrah! Very pleased with that, and just in time for getting out the rest of the lineup.

5 hours ago, RichardGoring said:

Shame. But I didn't realize Amazon sold modulars. Amazon directly, anyway. I always thought it was third parties which are overpriced.

Interestingly Walmart has it too, for $180. But it's a third party seller, and not sure I trust it. Too good to be true and all that.

Either way, I will get it today, whether store or Amazon. Good luck on getting it too.

Amazon direct has sold every modular for the last 15 years. I think they even Market Square. Amazon sells pretty much all LEGO, they even started selling Monkie Kid.

The station is great. I have a great eBay seller that I get things cheap from. I got the Elves Clubhouse a few weeks ago for 30%ish off with a slightly bad box. I think it's my favorite set of the series.

Hmmm...is that the gwp we get this year during vip bf weekend?

last year was dickens and a brick built brick. I hope we get something else cause I don’t know what to think about this vignette. Seems a bit simplistic.  

It's nice to have the elf hat in red in an official set but besides that I wish I bought Corner Garage during double points. haha

It's valued at $30AUD which is $22USD, aka $20. So it's probably free with $120 again, maybe $150.

Edited by Maple

I think I’m glad for the first time that I don’t particularly care for this years GWP

no take that back I’m literally relieved as I thought it might be maybe a reindeer stable to go with this years sleigh 😮💨 . Now I can be happy that I ordered everything I wanted already

Edited by Yellowturnip

Has anyone got the Home Alone house yet? I'd like it as I love the film, but would it be absolutely massive compared to the official WV buildings?

I love the set, but I think it can be Christmassier! Surely there were far more Christmas lights all over it in the movie.

14 hours ago, daemon4001 said:

I'd like it as I love the film, but would it be absolutely massive compared to the official WV buildings?

Someone on Instagram has a comparison with the latest Winter Village set and the modular Police Station:

If you asked me? Yeah its massive.

The scale of Home Alone is definitely very different to the Modulars and WV sets. Modulars and WV are, to me, impressionist versions of real buildings. Giving you the essence, without everything being there. It works great for LEGO where it would be expensive, and probably a less enjoyable experience (law of diminishing returns and all that) to go for real-world scale accuracy. Not to mention minifig vs human scaling issues.

But as you start to recreate real-world places, with all their details, in minifig-ish scale, then things have to become much bigger. Home Alone and all the Sit Com sets feel like they're a similar scale to each other, and different from the Modulars and WV. On Rebrickable, Lego Artisan has a couple of great designs to turn the Sit Com sets into full levels in apartment buildings, and they seem to scale nicely with Home Alone. I think the larger scale is also what the Winter Chalet in the Bricklink Designer Program 3rd round uses.

I've often thought that Modulars should be on a 48x48 baseplate if they were to be more realistic scale wise. But they would be crazy expensive and almost certainly very little extra enjoyment to be gained.