Gearslover01

Winter Village Sets - Rumours and Discussion

On 9/15/2020 at 8:20 AM, GwladysM said:

I'd love that too! Prices on secondary market are way above reason...

I don't understand why Lego don't do more re releases you would think it would be an easy win ?

Probably because re-releases greatly reduce the market for that set.  If you hope to sell 100,000 copies of a new set, if the first release sells 90,000, the re-release will probably only sell 10,000, unless it is a really highly sought after set.

2 minutes ago, legoboy3998 said:

Probably because re-releases greatly reduce the market for that set.  If you hope to sell 100,000 copies of a new set, if the first release sells 90,000, the re-release will probably only sell 10,000, unless it is a really highly sought after set.

This only makes sense if the target market is completely stagnant with absolutely no chance of attracting new customers...which obviously isn't the case.

1 hour ago, Flippi01 said:

I don't understand why Lego don't do more re releases you would think it would be an easy win ?

I would assume it would be too expencive for them. Ofcourse a few would buy both the new released set, and a re-released set, but how many would just skip the new set instead? And I'm sure there is a lot if work in getting a set on the shelf; from re-designing the set to the packaging and supply. 

12 hours ago, CDM said:

This only makes sense if the target market is completely stagnant with absolutely no chance of attracting new customers...which obviously isn't the case.

In a single set per year, collectors type theme like the Winter Village series is, I would say the market is likely more stagnant than say the City Police market.  If you did only a re-release in a given year, those who already purchased that set would not buy the set again.  The market would only be those who missed out on the set during it's original release, or those new to the Winter Village series.  If you released the re-release along side a new set as @jpx stated above, you would get people buying one or the other, but not likely both. 

11 hours ago, jpx said:

I would assume it would be too expencive for them. Ofcourse a few would buy both the new released set, and a re-released set, but how many would just skip the new set instead? And I'm sure there is a lot if work in getting a set on the shelf; from re-designing the set to the packaging and supply. 

I consider a re-release to be the exact same set with little to no changes.  When LEGO did release the updated Toy Shop, I picked it up, even though I had bought the original, because they made good updates to it to correct the originals shortcomings.  The original lacked details that all the other sets have automatically, the stickered sign and decorations on the building for example.

10 hours ago, legoboy3998 said:

In a single set per year, collectors type theme like the Winter Village series is, I would say the market is likely more stagnant than say the City Police market.  If you did only a re-release in a given year, those who already purchased that set would not buy the set again.  The market would only be those who missed out on the set during it's original release, or those new to the Winter Village series.  If you released the re-release along side a new set as @jpx stated above, you would get people buying one or the other, but not likely both.

I'm not going to get into a long-winded discussion about this because it's probably not the right thread but one thing is sure: Lego has done the research and know the market. They were so confident the market was growing they re-released the Toy Shop a mere 6 years after initial release. I don't have that market data but I suspect the re-release sold well and there are more coming in the next few years. In fact that re-release got me INTO Winter Village...re-releasing anything earlier than that would be new to me. I'd be shocked if I'm alone on that.

9 minutes ago, CDM said:

In fact that re-release got me INTO Winter Village...re-releasing anything earlier than that would be new to me. I'd be shocked if I'm alone on that.

I have the exact same story!

Still, I think its more expencive than we think, and therefore not something to do the same time as relasing a new set. 

Just now, jpx said:

Still, I think its more expencive than we think, and therefore not something to do the same time as relasing a new set. 

I agree that it's unlikely we'll see two WV sets at a time, specifically 1 new and 1 re-release.

30 minutes ago, CDM said:

I'm not going to get into a long-winded discussion about this because it's probably not the right thread but one thing is sure: Lego has done the research and know the market. They were so confident the market was growing they re-released the Toy Shop a mere 6 years after initial release. I don't have that market data but I suspect the re-release sold well and there are more coming in the next few years. In fact that re-release got me INTO Winter Village...re-releasing anything earlier than that would be new to me. I'd be shocked if I'm alone on that.

Thank-you. You summed up my feeling and thoughts.

2 hours ago, CDM said:

I agree that it's unlikely we'll see two WV sets at a time, specifically 1 new and 1 re-release.

One of the problems with having two WV sets at one time is production capacity.  That has been discussed previously by LEGO employees.  Although I'm sure LEGO is expanding its capacity to produce sets, it has been made clear that they have a limit on how many can be produced at any one time.  Even if it's a re-release, and no design work is necessary, the parts have to be manufactured and assembled. 

At the time the Toy Shop was re-released, in the wake of the outrage by many in the LEGO community, one of the lead LEGO designers was quoted saying that if they didn't re-relase this old set, there would not have been a WV set that year.  It was either re-relase or nothing.

I would not hold my breath waiting for another re-release, and especially I would not expect two WV sets in one year.

Yea I watched a video with the designer of the Re released toy shop saying that Lego wanted more time on the one that should have been released that year. ? wonder then which Lego set that was - the WV train?

4 hours ago, wooster said:

At the time the Toy Shop was re-released, in the wake of the outrage by many in the LEGO community, one of the lead LEGO designers was quoted saying that if they didn't re-relase this old set, there would not have been a WV set that year.  It was either re-relase or nothing.

Good perspective here. Worth noting a re-release was more favorable than skipping a WV release altogether. Santa's Workshop and the Cottage are the two i'd most like to see revisited but if they don't, well, they don't.

6 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

I really surprised this hasn't been revealed by now

Is a bit late, isn't it?

It seems late if you judge on past releases however, as someone pointed out upthread, the leaked promo image listed 9/23 as a VIP date. https://brickset.com/article/53633/first-image-of-10275-elf-club-house

I can only speak for myself but I'm not really sure why I'm so anxious to buy it...it's going to sit in the basement unopened until Thanksgiving along with the two advent calendars. What's the rush? haha

1 hour ago, Robert8 said:

I really surprised this hasn't been revealed by now

Is a bit late, isn't it?

It’s the latest ever for a Winter Village which is adding to the sense of it being drawn out a bit .... the unofficial leak feels like it was ages ago ! 

I sure hope that set is the GWP for the Elf Clubhouse, since I now plan to get it day one. Looks like a great little build. And, isnthat a regular red scarf?! “Mr. Tumnus” can finally get rid of the orange one. 

4 minutes ago, Vindicare said:

I sure hope that set is the GWP for the Elf Clubhouse, since I now plan to get it day one. Looks like a great little build. And, isnthat a regular red scarf?! “Mr. Tumnus” can finally get rid of the orange one. 

Yep, orange with Mr. Tumnus and Dark Red with James (Harry Potter's father) in the Harry Potter Collectible Minifigures Series 2. Now it is bright red for Tiny Tim! Such a neat little set, and I'm a big ban of A Christmas Carol. I wonder though if this is going to be one of those GWP sets that doesn't come out until December, and I usually like to build my new Winter Village sets in November so they are all on display from Thanksgiving through Christmas.

Edited by BigHobbit

That's a very nice looking set!  Love that the book is the base of the set, and I greatly prefer this presentation to the sets that looked like a book laying open.  Big winner here!

31 minutes ago, BigHobbit said:

Yep, orange with Mr. Tumnus and Dark Red with James (Harry Potter's father) in the Harry Potter Collectible Minifigures Series 2. Now it is bright red for Tiny Tim! Such a neat little set, and I'm a big ban of A Christmas Carol. I wonder though if this is going to be one of those GWP sets that doesn't come out until December, and I usually like to build my new Winter Village sets in November so they are all on display from Thanksgiving through Christmas.

I looked at last year’s Christmas Tree GWP set & it was late November. Bummer if this follows suit because I don’t think the Clubhouse will even be in stock at that time...

I think last year's two sets were on Black Friday, and then maybe another in December?  I remember years past when they would do the 1st GWP in October (with 2X VIP points), and the 2nd in November.  I much preferred that schedule.

52 minutes ago, Flippi01 said:

All these festive sets and still no Elves Clubhouse official reveal .... high standards on the seasonal reveals though ! 

Yes agreed! Why are they waiting so long to reveal the winter village set that is supposed to be for sale next week, but have revealed the batwing several weeks in advance?? I’m glad that TLG themselves leaked the picture of the clubhouse, otherwise, by now I think I would have been beside myself with worry that the winter village line had ended.

The other seasonal sets that have been discovered/leaked are really a step up from previous years; this GWP looks fantastic. Yes I am also concerned about trying to get the seasonal sets and GWP here in Australia. Stocks have been low and delivery heavily delayed all year.