Gearslover01

Winter Village Sets - Rumours and Discussion

1 hour ago, Paperballpark said:

I'm calling it - Winter Village Ski Shop.

Look at the leaked Advent Calendar images - they're clearly from a catalogue. Look at the City one, and look at the (cut off) image above it, which looks distinctly like a Winter Village set (which would make sense to place it there in the catalogue).

Winter Village Ski Shop, with ski and snowboard gear in the windows, and an A-frame and a snowman outside.

No, that's just the City Ski Resort from last year.

8 hours ago, Paperballpark said:

I'm calling it - Winter Village Ski Shop.

Look at the leaked Advent Calendar images - they're clearly from a catalogue. Look at the City one, and look at the (cut off) image above it, which looks distinctly like a Winter Village set (which would make sense to place it there in the catalogue).

Winter Village Ski Shop, with ski and snowboard gear in the windows, and an A-frame and a snowman outside.

Damit! I was hoping for the Winter Village Fruitcake Factory. A gloomy and poisonous place populated by Zombie slaves and Goblins. Ruled under the iron booted heels of Santas Elves. You know a traditional Christmas setting. 

I want to know what the current rumors are (if there are any) for Winter Village 2020. My hope is something like a post office with a snowplow, as we haven't gotten any of those for a while, and it would be nice to get something like that. But, if you want a REAL out of the box suggestion that has yet to be done? A Winter Village Airport. Now, hear me out. Imagine getting a passenger plane that's about half the size of the typical passenger planes we have been getting for years now (that way they can still keep the set at $70) and as the side build give us a decent sized airport that's mostly red with bits of green and some other colors thrown in. I figure that the cockpit of the plane could have red over most of it, with the back of the cockpit piece showing the red splitting up into red stripes. I think the interior could look really fancy like in a fancy train car with yellow windows around the plane. The airport I could see having a smaller control tower with a wreath hanging down in the front and Christmas lights around the "floor" of the control tower. the outside of the airport could have a couple more wreaths and Christmas lights around the edge of the roof and a few big windows. The inside would have a nice baggage carousel build along with a ticket area, some advertisements for food, drink, and LEGO, a small store, and a small airplane boarding tunnel on the side. Now, I said they could still keep the set at $70, but I think now they would have to make it $80. And I know my details are a lot, but the plane would be a brand new size, with it being somewhere between the size of the smallest passenger plane and the largest passenger plane. I would also like to have a little baggage transport cart.

On 6/6/2020 at 9:47 PM, TeriXeri said:

This new for 2020 Elf Keychain appeared on Brickset, wonder if the next Winter Village set is going be Elf themed (Santa's Workshop related?).

https://brickset.com/sets/854041-1/Happy-Helper-Elf-Key-Chain

854041-1.jpg?202006060907

As for this, I think this is just a fun keychain that isn't related to the next Winter Village set, but I could be wrong.

Edited by xxix5

For whatever it's worth, that elf is built using the alternate elf parts that debuted in the BAM stations a couple years ago.

Thanks for the picture of the 2020 Elf Keychain, @TeriXeri! :classic:

I don't like elves, so I don't like this key chain, too. As well as the 2020 Happy Santa Key Chain of which you can find a picture at brickset, too:

854040_alt1.jpg

Concering this year's Winter Village set:

We come from that this year's Winter VIllage won't be a Creator Expert set anymore, but will already be release under the "18+" theme. The question is: Will this affect the design and the contents of the set? That's hard to say. Imo the 10273 "Haunted House" (written into quotation marks since it's no real haunted house) is a complete let-down for the Fairground theme. So closed backwalls, a house to open with hinges, no side builds, a low number of minifigures, packing too many and too different things in one set and a for a fairground completely unfitting setting (not colorful but gloomy) - big mistakes in 10273 which I hope that TLG won't deface this year's WV set with in the same manner. Since all WV sets so far link following: a detailed and lovely looking building with open backwalls and a nice and cozy interior, some fitting side builds and a lot of minifigures. If TLG didn't continue this, then they would kill the charisma of the WV theme.

Since last year saw a fantasy stuff related building, I bet that this year's set will contain only realistic stuff. Since with 18+ the set may be bigger and more pricey and since there wasn't any 10th anniversary declarated set last year, I could well imagine that this year's WV set will contain either two small buildings or a big one. Maybe a town hall, a grocery or a candy shop or chocolate factory (I know, we already had the gingerbread house last year, but candy then would link these two sets - so I don't see any danger that they would compete). Which I don't see are any buildings which we've gotten so far, a sports shop since there was already released one in the fantastic Ski Resort last year and any sort of hut or hotel since it would have the same function like the gingerbread house, namely "only" a housing.

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

So do we think with the new 18+ brading do you think the winter village set will be sub branded “winter village” or something like “holiday collection” that will allow them to encompass-sets like santas workshop and the gingerbread house that dont maybe fit into a village setting 

Even if that happens, I hope the box won't suck like all the +18 we've seen so far

I actually like the 18+ boxes we've had so far. I can see them doing a white backdrop with the greebling bar being green/red to make it look more Christmas-y but still align with the 18+ boxes

On 6/12/2020 at 1:50 AM, Klaus-Dieter said:

I don't like elves, so I don't like this key chain, too. As well as the 2020 Happy Santa Key Chain of which you can find a picture at brickset, too:

854040_alt1.jpg

We come from that this year's Winter VIllage won't be a Creator Expert set anymore, but will already be release under the "18+" theme. The question is: Will this affect the design and the contents of the set? That's hard to say. Imo the 10273 "Haunted House" (written into quotation marks since it's no real haunted house) is a complete let-down for the Fairground theme. So closed backwalls, a house to open with hinges, no side builds, a low number of minifigures, packing too many and too different things in one set and a for a fairground completely unfitting setting (not colorful but gloomy) - big mistakes in 10273 which I hope that TLG won't deface this year's WV set with in the same manner. Since all WV sets so far link following: a detailed and lovely looking building with open backwalls and a nice and cozy interior, some fitting side builds and a lot of minifigures. If TLG didn't continue this, then they would kill the charisma of the WV theme.

Since last year saw a fantasy stuff related building, I bet that this year's set will contain only realistic stuff. Since with 18+ the set may be bigger and more pricey and since there wasn't any 10th anniversary declarated set last year, I could well imagine that this year's WV set will contain either two small buildings or a big one. Maybe a town hall, a grocery or a candy shop or chocolate factory (I know, we already had the gingerbread house last year, but candy then would link these two sets - so I don't see any danger that they would compete). Which I don't see are any buildings which we've gotten so far, a sports shop since there was already released one in the fantastic Ski Resort last year and any sort of hut or hotel since it would have the same function like the gingerbread house, namely "only" a housing.

I hear you, but not sure TLG will. TLG is in a process of change, looking at marketing to new customers.....looking to increase revenue like all businesses.  I just hope they don't forget about us, there existing customer base.  

I am still holding out for a ice skating pond with a hot chocolate stand for this years offering.  Know it wont happen, but still fun to dream.....

The home alone mansion will be a good addition. I would love to see a set from nightmare before christmas  

I have similar thoughts @Klaus-Dieter

TLG hasn't released back to back fantasy themed WV sets so I don't expect that to happen this year. I'm personally thinking a town hall or police station this year. As usual I'll be happy with anything as long as its not a re-release. I am slightly worried that after 10 years of WV they are going to start repeating sets more often like in Star Wars

Star Wars is limited by the source material

I think they learned from the backlash they received with the Toy Shop 2.0 

Surprised by the overall silence in this thread, so I'm gonna jump in.  This time last year we already had leaked pics of the GB minifigs, and things were buzzing here.  I haven't heard of any such leaks this year, though this is hardly the typical year.  

So long as we don't get another re-hash, I'm going to be happy with whatever TLG puts out.  Personally, I'd like to see another building/store that does not look out of place in a small village.  I've always thought that a candy/sweet shoppe was a natural for this line, but I'm skeptical they would do such a store on the heels of the GBH.  Maybe this is the year for a town hall.  Maybe a cafe or coffee shop.  Maybe a small schoolhouse or library?  With TLG seemingly retiring most/all of their police sets, I'm very doubtful of a police station - and if that's what TLG had originally planned for this year, then I would be fearful of another re-hash.

I would really like to see the Winter Village gets its own theme, the way they've done with the Fairground sets this year.  WV is becoming one of the longer running (sub)themes for TLG, and I believe it is worthy of its own branding and box art.

Lastly, just one year I would like to see TLG take the fall CMF series and make it a WV themed series, similar to Series 14 and its Halloween theme.  (don't get me started on the idea of a Halloween Village line - instant winner!)  One could argue that they started down this path with Series 11 (elf, Yeti, GB man), but I'd like a full line of figures to populate our winter villages.  I think a re-deco of Mr & Mrs Claus would be two obvious figures.  You could easily get away with 2-4 different elves.  I think a snowman figure akin to Leon from "Elf" would be fun, or they could go with a more classic Frosty the Snowman design.  You could do a couple people in crazy holiday sweaters.  I would take 1-2 more redesigned GB people - or kids.  And you could easily fill out the rest with other townspeople, and add in some new molded elements.  

On 6/12/2020 at 1:50 AM, Klaus-Dieter said:

854040_alt1.jpg

I am not a huge fan of the new haunted house ether.  IMO it just lacks the fun fair type experience the other sets provide. 

6 hours ago, Arstotle said:

Surprised by the overall silence in this thread, so I'm gonna jump in.  This time last year we already had leaked pics of the GB minifigs, and things were buzzing here.  I haven't heard of any such leaks this year, though this is hardly the typical year.  

So long as we don't get another re-hash, I'm going to be happy with whatever TLG puts out.  Personally, I'd like to see another building/store that does not look out of place in a small village.  I've always thought that a candy/sweet shoppe was a natural for this line, but I'm skeptical they would do such a store on the heels of the GBH.  Maybe this is the year for a town hall.  Maybe a cafe or coffee shop.  Maybe a small schoolhouse or library?  With TLG seemingly retiring most/all of their police sets, I'm very doubtful of a police station - and if that's what TLG had originally planned for this year, then I would be fearful of another re-hash.

I would really like to see the Winter Village gets its own theme, the way they've done with the Fairground sets this year.  WV is becoming one of the longer running (sub)themes for TLG, and I believe it is worthy of its own branding and box art.

Lastly, just one year I would like to see TLG take the fall CMF series and make it a WV themed series, similar to Series 14 and its Halloween theme.  (don't get me started on the idea of a Halloween Village line - instant winner!)  One could argue that they started down this path with Series 11 (elf, Yeti, GB man), but I'd like a full line of figures to populate our winter villages.  I think a re-deco of Mr & Mrs Claus would be two obvious figures.  You could easily get away with 2-4 different elves.  I think a snowman figure akin to Leon from "Elf" would be fun, or they could go with a more classic Frosty the Snowman design.  You could do a couple people in crazy holiday sweaters.  I would take 1-2 more redesigned GB people - or kids.  And you could easily fill out the rest with other townspeople, and add in some new molded elements.  

Agree, not too much discussion on this years set.  IMO last years offering of the Gingerbread house was just so-so and folks have lost a little bit of the interest in the theme.  The whole COVID-19 mess isn't helping much too.  Hopefully this year TLG will offer a nice old fashion building that matches the majority of the sets of this theme and everyone will get excited again.  

As long as they don't do a fantasy-themed set, I'm happy with whatever they come up with. The designers that have been working on this theme so far did a very good job on all sets from my POV, and even though I passed on the Gingerbread house, I'm excited for whatever comes next!

I usually reside in the SW forums, but this time of year have a separate tab open to catch the WV rumours.

Now I understand the anti-remake logic (I did say I'm usually in the SW forums which is always full of remakes...), part of me wouldn't be against Lego it if they released two WV sets a year, one something new and the second set a remake.

I started collecting from Santa's workshop and got all past sets but the original toy shop and post office off eBay for reasonable prices. I was greatful for the toy shop remake as the old WV sets were quickly escalating in the second hand market. The post office I used my own pieces and bricklink to complete.

My sister started collecting from the new toy shop / train set so I'm always looking for cheap second hand sets for her, but they are now outside of her price range unfortunately.

So I could see one year something new (ski lodge, sweet shop etc) and a remake (bakery) but I understand Lego only releasing one a year since the previous year(s) sets are usually on the shelf too. 

Just my 2p's worth...

33 minutes ago, azzer86 said:

Now I understand the anti-remake logic (I did say I'm usually in the SW forums which is always full of remakes...), part of me wouldn't be against Lego it if they released two WV sets a year, one something new and the second set a remake.

Azzer,

I was just thinking about this myself.  

I understand that the people who already have the bakery and post office don't want to have a year missed due to a redo of those sets, but at the same time, the secondary market is such that it is cost prohibitive for those of us who want the older sets to be able to get them.  And i was just thinking that the solution might be to offer two sets a year.  

Also, I have no clue what they might offer for the WV this year, I was one of the ones hoping for a Gingerbread house so was excited with last years set, so I was happy.  In my wish list world I wish they could do a new train car or two for the train set, but that seems unlikely.  Maybe the sweet shop like someone was saying, with a delivery/catering.  I think a "full size" ice skating pond would have some potential if done right.  I agree. they won't do police, even before the political climate changed I don't think they would have.  Anyhow...here's hoping we get something soon... they've already shown the advent calendar...

Robert

16 hours ago, Arstotle said:

(don't get me started on the idea of a Halloween Village line - instant winner!)

Don't get me started! (Actually, maybe we should get started...new thread?)

31 minutes ago, Karalora said:

Don't get me started! (Actually, maybe we should get started...new thread?)

As much as I love the WV line, a Halloween Village line would have me squeaking of joy like a little schoolgirl. A man can dream, right?

12 minutes ago, Darnok said:

As much as I love the WV line, a Halloween Village line would have me squeaking of joy like a little schoolgirl. A man can dream, right?

I started a thread to talk about it! Go check it out!

21 hours ago, Celtchief said:

I understand that the people who already have the bakery and post office don't want to have a year missed due to a redo of those sets, but at the same time, the secondary market is such that it is cost prohibitive for those of us who want the older sets to be able to get them.  And i was just thinking that the solution might be to offer two sets a year.  

Agreed. It definitely wouldn't be such a big deal if it weren't for the single set release each year. Star Wars and other themes can do set remakes constantly because there is still always some new sets released as well. I remember being so disappointed after waiting all year only to find out the set was a toy shop remake. TLG got a ton of bad feedback so I doubt that will happen again but I would love to see them re-release an older WV set in the spring wave.

15 hours ago, Blackpool said:

TLG got a ton of bad feedback so I doubt that will happen again but I would love to see them re-release an older WV set in the spring wave.

Christmas in July!

I think the philosophy behind re-releasing of old sets that Lego has been mostly adhering to is selecting something iconic from its history. Taj Majal was iconic, though not necessarily the first of it's kind (the Eifel Tower if I'm not mistaken was the first). WV Toy Shop was the first - and nobody knew back then it will start a new line - so whoever missed it was given a second chance. Town Plan (2008) needs no introduction as well. If anything I would bet Lego will someday re-release or reimagine the Cafe Corner / Green Grocer. So chances of them having releasing a WV Bakery or anything else are pretty slim from my pov.