Gearslover01

Winter Village Sets - Rumours and Discussion

Oh I couldn’t agree more about a church, but apparently TLG have a policy against religious buildings, which I simply don’t understand. I didn’t realise that a village wouldn’t have a town hall. I do agree that more houses would be good. How about a winter village farm? Could be a dairy farm with a little stall selling hot chocolate :-)

16 minutes ago, alsielou said:

How about a winter village farm? Could be a dairy farm with a little stall selling hot chocolate :-)

That would be awesome! All these animals...

43 minutes ago, alsielou said:

Oh I couldn’t agree more about a church, but apparently TLG have a policy against religious buildings, which I simply don’t understand. I didn’t realise that a village wouldn’t have a town hall. I do agree that more houses would be good. How about a winter village farm? Could be a dairy farm with a little stall selling hot chocolate :-)

25 minutes ago, parsom said:

That would be awesome! All these animals...

A excellent idea, count me in :excited:

22 minutes ago, alsielou said:

Oh I couldn’t agree more about a church, but apparently TLG have a policy against religious buildings, which I simply don’t understand.

I understand that rule and agree with it. As Lego puts play value above anything else, it would be weird to see a church with play features, and religious activities (like praying or  preaching) are not easy to incorporate into a toy that's meant to be played with by children. There's definitely more to it (not wanting to upset non-christian families etc) and it's understandable why Lego is sticking with the Santa Claus side of Chritmas.

I haven't heard about people offended by Playmobile churches or nativity scenes. I would rather say that the Lego reason for not doing churches is some kind of political correctness and fear about touching non-Christian people.

5 minutes ago, parsom said:

I haven't heard about people offended by Playmobile churches or nativity scenes. I would rather say that the Lego reason for not doing churches is some kind of political correctness and fear about touching non-Christian people.

Yes iPlaymobil makes religious sets, which if people don’t want to buy they don’t have to. I guess there would be complaints if the *one* annual winter village set was something that some people feel they couldn’t possibly buy on principal, but then there are complaints about whatever set they make so what is the difference? In this case there are many people asking for a church because it is a building central to pretty much every village there is in real life. And within the set there could be a wedding happening, which isn’t  particularly religious. Anyway, at least with Lego we can make our own churches and I guess that is just what we need to do. 

Looking at the fire house again I still really love it except for the tan columns in front. They look good but I feel like a single column made lf 1x1 cones centered with a jumper would look better.

6 hours ago, parsom said:

In my opinion winter village is also lacking one building - church. Or chapel, at least. Look at old Christmas postcards...

I agree, but LEGO is not going to release a church set, methinks, due to religion issues.
We built our own, for our winter village, based on one we found online.

A quaint old school with a bell tower that’s what I would love. Hmmm and a proper frozen lake scene ooh that was motorised with Lego ice skaters skating around. How I can dream. 

I'm in for the dairy farm! Great idea + we could probably get a goat figure cheaper than 10000000$ as it costs now )))

1 hour ago, Yellowturnip said:

Hmmm and a proper frozen lake scene ooh that was motorised with Lego ice skaters skating around. How I can dream. 

Well, it's not a lake, but some frozen water and motorised ice skater are here:

18 minutes ago, adwind said:

I'm in for the dairy farm! Great idea + we could probably get a goat figure cheaper than 10000000$ as it costs now )))

Good point!

2 hours ago, Withacee said:

I agree, but LEGO is not going to release a church set, methinks, due to religion issues.
We built our own, for our winter village, based on one we found online.

You are probably right, but we may try to convince them...

7 hours ago, BenderBrau said:

I understand that rule and agree with it. As Lego puts play value above anything else, it would be weird to see a church with play features, and religious activities (like praying or  preaching) are not easy to incorporate into a toy that's meant to be played with by children. There's definitely more to it (not wanting to upset non-christian families etc) and it's understandable why Lego is sticking with the Santa Claus side of Chritmas.

I agree. A church is a religious symbol and would exclude parts of lego’s fanbase. Would also damage their image as a non-political company.

54 minutes ago, Bainter-ban said:

I agree. A church is a religious symbol and would exclude parts of lego’s fanbase. Would also damage their image as a non-political company.

True. As a European I feel excluded by Thanksgiving sets...
C'mon. I don't have to be Muslim to buy (and appreciate) mosque set. If non-christian people are buying Christmas related sets, then why the church would have to be problematic for them?

They had no problems with the Taj Mahal.

With its symbolic it has -at least- something to do with the hindu god Shiva and on the other hand it is called the jewel of Muslim art in India, so a combination of two religions.

I know it's a mausoleum and not a mosque or church but it's religious none the less.

Lego released graveyards sets lego Set 4766 semi mausoleum style.

If there was a church in one on the Harry Potter movies and it would have been  importend for it then they would have done a church, I'm sure. 

Just now, finishlast said:

They had no problems with the Taj Mahal.

Taj Mahal is a mausoleum - not a place of worship, but a tomb. Pretty much like a Hindi pyramid, only way more ornate.

That being said, there IS one religious place Lego has created - St. Mark's Basilica in the Venice skyline set (21026). But it's only used for its landmark status and architectural beauty, not because it's a church.

On 9/11/2018 at 2:24 PM, Bainter-ban said:

I understand your point, but as an off-topic, I find it interesting (not in a good way) when people conflate religion and politics.

On 9/11/2018 at 3:26 PM, parsom said:

True. As a European I feel excluded by Thanksgiving sets...
C'mon. I don't have to be Muslim to buy (and appreciate) mosque set. If non-christian people are buying Christmas related sets, then why the church would have to be problematic for them?

Agreed.  Some Mosques, churches, temples, and even just some religious "sites" are absolute marvels and absolutely beautiful.

This Hindu temple opened just down the road from me:

3920518738_f9431dacd6.jpg

It's just beautiful whether you are Hindu or not.

But we're talking about Christmas here, and while I appreciate non-secular Christmas, it's still rooted in Christianity.  We don't need TLG to release a nativity scene, but a "classic" small town church shouldn't be the end of the world:

abc6cf47528252887521f8d92d41bf68--old-co

The latter, though, seems simple enough to build without needing a set, but then it would miss the little touches TLG adds to it's winder village set.

Even the earlier sets had carolers.  I get there are non-religious Christmas songs, but how many carolers don't include the religious ones?

I get it; I wouldn't keep arguing the point or try to convince anyone from TLG that they should release a church, but I do think they are a bit too staunch about their objections.  I bet they'd release a Jedi temple. :wink:

Do we know what the other seasonal freebie is this year? The firestation is up on S@H for VIPs, and I nearly hit pay, but then remembered about the freebies. Not that interested in the carousel thingy with the train.

Edited by sunhuntin

I think its very different with the Taj Mahal. It is the building itself in focus, not the religion. The same would be a release of a church as a microscale landmark set. However, with minifigures etc joining the set, the figures are religious, and then promoting a religion.

And politics and religion has gone hand in hand for a very long time, and still is for many, many countries. So I don’t get the comment on religion not being connected to politics.

Any news on whether there will be additional Christmas sets this year? I am aware of the presumed GWP Christmas Carousel and the ornaments however will there be sets like 40262 Christmas Train Ride or 40263 Christmas Town Square?

I am late to collecting Winter Village and trying to build it up with smaller sets while hoping for some re-releases (sorry to all those that hoping for re-releases will insult).

45 minutes ago, timemail said:

Any news on whether there will be additional Christmas sets this year? I am aware of the presumed GWP Christmas Carousel and the ornaments however will there be sets like 40262 Christmas Train Ride or 40263 Christmas Town Square?

40262 has a "coming soon" status on S@H, my assumption is that it will be this year's Christmas set, along with Mr and Mrs Claus Brickheadz

2 hours ago, timemail said:

will there be sets like 40262 Christmas Train Ride or 40263 Christmas Town Square?

Most likely no, there is usually brickbuilt figs and minifig scenes seasonal sets every other year, so next year I assume the minifigs are back in those sets..

1 hour ago, BenderBrau said:

40262 has a "coming soon" status on S@H, my assumption is that it will be this year's Christmas set,

That was last years set, so probably just a error on the Norwegian page. I do not expect to see a return of that set this year, they usually are a one hit wonder :tongue:

46 minutes ago, Roebuck said:

That was last years set, so probably just a error on the Norwegian page. I do not expect to see a return of that set this year, they usually are a one hit wonder :tongue:

It says coming soon in all of Europe, but it's sold out in USA/Canada and not listed at all in Australia/New Zealand. We'll find out in a week, I wouldn't mind getting that set, although it really is weird there's nothing new coming (except BH).

BTW, Korea has double VIP points right now. Go figure...

23 hours ago, Roebuck said:

Most likely no, there is usually brickbuilt figs and minifig scenes seasonal sets every other year, so next year I assume the minifigs are back in those sets..

I think timemail was asking about the GWP Christmas sets. We don’t know anything yet about the GWP that’s the equivalent of last years’ creator-esque advent calendar.

I kind of liked the advent calendar(s), as partspacks. I wouldn’t mind getting a nice vignette this time around though. 

I've only seen 40293: Christmas Carousel and 3 baubles (ornaments), which don't interest me.    I'm hoping 40293 will be a freebie when I pick up the Christmas Fire Station.  Also hoping for a couple smaller winter sets.

Previous years we have seen 6-7 smaller sets:

30478: Jolly Santa
40253: Christmas Build-Up
40254: Nutcracker
40262: Christmas Train Ride
40263: Christmas Town Square
853670: Christmas Ornament Snowman
5004934: Christmas Ornament

40205: Little Elf Helpers
40206: LEGO Santa
40222: Christmas Build-Up
40223: Snowglobe
853574: Christmas Ornament Reindeer
5004420: Toy Soldier
5005156: Gingerbread Man

40124: Winter Fun
40125: Santa's Visit
40138: Christmas Train
40139: Gingerbread House
851358: Holiday Bauble White Bricks
5003083: Christmas Ornament

40092: Reindeer
40093: Snowman
40106: Toy Workshop
40107: Winter Skating Scene
850939: Santa Set
850949: Christmas Snow Hut Ornament
850950: Christmas Cat Ornament
5002813: Christmas Train Ornament
5004259: Holiday Ornament Collection

Edited by kasmca

I just noticed last year's Winter Village Station is listed as sold out on LEGO's website. I thought these sets usually lasted two years? I prioritized the train this year because I thought that one would retire sooner than the station.