Gearslover01

Winter Village Sets - Rumours and Discussion

The main problem with some of these ideas is the time period for me: the buildings are 'old' and European in styling. I would like to keep with that theme (although I have added an English church to mine). The vehicles are old-style (cart) but the bus and snowplough are 1920s to 30s. The carollers wear Victorian style clothes (but that could easily be just dress-up) whilst all the others wear modern-compatible clothing. A ski lift could be 1930s, but snowboarding is recent - 1960s. I am fine with old buildings (I live near York which has buildings from the Roman occupation, built in 300s and still in use, all jumbled up together with modern stuff), but the vehicles and people need to be consistent.

I'm looking forward to this year's release and it has got me looking around for the WV sets I missed out on...as I joined this theme late. I knew I should have bought them when they were available! :damn:

Given that the prices for 10216 Winter Village Bakery; 10222: Winter Village Post Office; and 10229: Winter Village Cottage are around triple original retail price, just curious if anyone attempted Bricklink'ing any of these sets? Are there many rare pieces that drive up the price? I need to dig deeper into this...

Edited by eliminator

On 8/11/2018 at 8:42 PM, Jay66 said:

The main problem with some of these ideas is the time period for me: the buildings are 'old' and European in styling. I would like to keep with that theme (although I have added an English church to mine). The vehicles are old-style (cart) but the bus and snowplough are 1920s to 30s. The carollers wear Victorian style clothes (but that could easily be just dress-up) whilst all the others wear modern-compatible clothing. A ski lift could be 1930s, but snowboarding is recent - 1960s. I am fine with old buildings (I live near York which has buildings from the Roman occupation, built in 300s and still in use, all jumbled up together with modern stuff), but the vehicles and people need to be consistent.

Eh. Speak for yourself. I'm happy to have horse-drawn carriages amidst cars from the 1900s through to modern time periods. They still have horse-drawn carriages as a novelty in places like London. It's all in good fun. 

On 8/11/2018 at 3:42 AM, Jay66 said:

The carts could just be a Christmas time thing & not necessarily an era in history. Carriage rides seem to be a cliche Christams outing. But yes, some continuity would be nice. 

There is an entry on Amazon UK for the new set, marked Confidential. It is 1.3kg and gives product dimensions. This suggests the big reveal will be very soon...

Edit: as Dimaks13 points out so helpfully, this entry has been there some time already. The Hungarian toy shop lists release as being due 1.12.18, so I am going to give up now! If it is released late, it won't be ready in time - hey ho.

Edited by Jay66

1 minute ago, Jay66 said:

There is an entry on Amazon UK for the new set, marked Confidential. It is 1.3kg and gives product dimensions. This suggests the big reveal will be very soon...

It is there since April.

49 minutes ago, dimaks13 said:

It is there since April.

Enough time for TLG to expand the cardboard strength to 4cm and include a 300 piece set to reach the 1.3 kg.

1 hour ago, Falconfan1414 said:

Aclego on instagram revealed that the winter village set this year is rumored to be a remake of the winter village cottage. 

If that is true, I will save some money :shrug_confused:

1 hour ago, Falconfan1414 said:

Aclego on instagram revealed that the winter village set this year is rumored to be a remake of the winter village cottage. 

Lol, already have one, but really wanted to get a second one to put it into my WV display but prices are insane! I was lucky enough to get one for 150$ 2 years ago.

I would really like a rerelease of the cottage! I came out of dark ages just two years ago, so I missed a lot of winter village sets for reasonable prices. I could not find one below 200 euros, but I like the building. There’s always room for another house, next to a 31038, a slightly modified 41323 and a somewhat more modified 31025. 

I guess I’ll be buying the station this year and the cottage next year.

Edited by Goverman

I just read this news on instagram. I am terribly disappointed that there isn’t something new. Toy store all over again. Thrilled for those who don’t have the original - but is this really instead of a new set? I can’t believe they are doing this again.

Hopefully they fix the look of the truck if that is the case. I don't own any of the Winter Village sets so this may be my first pick up especially if they fix up a few things.

The potential price hike has me worried. It was ~1400 pieces for $99 when it came out. It better not be like $140 this time around.

I honestly wouldn't mind if they just did a different design of cottage each year. After all, which village only has one house in it?!

When they rereleased the toy shop they did fix a few things such as the stability of the tree, and just minor cosmetic changes elsewhere so that it essentially looked identical. 

I hope they are changing the colour of the cottage so that it looks different enough. That I would be happy with. Or I guess I will do that myself though it adds significantly to the cost.

That's disappointing if it's true. I get that re-releases appeal to newer collectors but I own all of the buildings (besides the Toy Shop remake) and it does nothing for me. Simply changing the color and a few minor details doesn't warrant a re-release. 

However, if they're going to make a significantly different cottage, I would probably buy it. That would satisfy both new and old collectors of the theme.

A blatant copy/cash-in would annoy most of the long time WV community. I honestly thought that Lego had listened to the backlash after the Toy Shop. Maybe not.. I too would skip it this year unless different colours are used. I mean seriously how difficult would it be to substitute the blue for a sand green or something akin. Lazy & disrespectful if its visually the same.

Got anything of another ideas then? Or a rumor that this rumor is fase :) 

It is hear say all over... In the other hand, that's the fun of it :) 

1 hour ago, temes said:

I wouldn't mind re-release every three years.

I second this, and this would put paid to the ridiculous prices being charged for old sets. £360 on Amazon for the cottage? I would like to see all the sets re-released on a running programme.

PLUS a new release.

Edited by Jay66

A reveal or significant leak should be out very very soon as we are almost into September. Lego really needs to knock it out of the park this year for the WV theme. The last three years has seen the re-release of the Toy Shop, the introduction of an overly junior-ized train, and a complimentry train station who's best feature was the taxi/bus.

IMO, a re-release of the Cottage is actually fine in my books, as it's the best set in the series and could bring in some more buyers to the theme (more sales = more attention from Lego).

However, as a collector re-releases hurt my collection. Before the Taj re-release, anyone who saw my collection was blown away by the fact I had one. Nowadays not so much...takes away from some of the fun.

Notably for me, there's a seller in my local area that has a sealed Cottage for sale at a fair price (about double original price). I'm ready to buy...or not buy...as soon as solid information about the WV 2019 set is available.

Edited by eliminator

12 hours ago, stebai said:

A blatant copy/cash-in would annoy most of the long time WV community. I honestly thought that Lego had listened to the backlash after the Toy Shop. Maybe not.. I too would skip it this year unless different colours are used. I mean seriously how difficult would it be to substitute the blue for a sand green or something akin. Lazy & disrespectful if its visually the same.

I understand that. I feel that way in the Star Wars line. The Winter Village is one of those that only a few collectors got into until they realized it was going to be an “every year” thing vs. a “let’s try this for 3 years” thing. Having said that, I don’t mind rereleases as long as they don’t take away from new releases. It would be nice if they rereleased one (but only every so often) as others have mentioned.