Hello!

I would like to present my first MOC, which i was tempted to build since a while. I was always more a "fan" of Class 1 buggies ( https://en.wikipedia...i/SCORE_Class_1 ) over Baja trucks, and I also couldn't find any LEGO versions of them, so i decided to build... and failed, built again, and failed..., built again, and so on... :classic:

The long travel independent suspension with driving was really a challange, finally I found a solution, which works... kinda. I reached my goal, to make this thing move, but I must admit, the driving performance is poor, as the suspension arms are still not rigid enough, so the rear wheels start to lean. It moves, but not what i would call: clear run.

Still, i thought, maybe it is worth to share, because the rest of the car is OK.

I also would like to inspire others to build such MOCs, i would be happy to see more (and better performing) unlimited buggies! :wink:

Building instruction (V3): here

And now... the pictures (edit: no more video will be made, lack of patience and knowledge) - fixed:

EDIT:

as updated version is available, old pics and video removed.

Pre version pics added.

V0 - sketch model:

800x453.jpg

800x490.jpg

V1 model with XL motors - not really good performance...

800x451.jpg

800x451.jpg

800x451.jpg

800x452.jpg

800x451.jpg

V2 model with L-motors:

800x449.jpg

800x448.jpg

800x448.jpg

800x448.jpg

800x449.jpg

Update: V3 is ready - see page 2.

Buggy%20V3%20%20white.gif

A clever patch by @Didumos69 for the rear swingarms, now they can not disconnect at all!

800x450.jpg

Edited by agrof

Cool creation! It looks like if the stickers were created for this buggy!~ :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

This thing is awesome! I love the body and the 3rd party tires. Also try singing up for Bricksafe for the pictures

Edited by JJ2

Also try singing up for Bricksafe for the pictures

Agreed with that, I first tried the Brickshelf but is veeery slow ad bricksafe is really fast and with much better design Edited by LXF

It's not actually necessary to sign up for Bricksafe, using google is just as fine, he just needs to embed the photos instead of just pasting the direct links to them. Nontheless, great buggy, good use of original stickers...

Embedding was also not an option, that was the first i tried... whatever, Thanks guys, done! :thumbup::classic:

Edited by agrof

Thanks All!

Edit: i added some more pics in the Bricksafe folder, linked in first post.

OMG it looks awesome :thumbup: It is just like its real life role models :classic: I like especially much of suspension, front leds and driving solution. Great job there :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

That's great. Looks like the real thing. Is it quick? If you could do a video to show it's speed that would be great.

H

Great looking buggy! I like the long travel axles in the rear, some great techniques used there. I would love to see a video, even if its only simple smartphone video!

tim

This looks great! Very interesting construction method for the rear suspension. Does the battery box affect the centre of gravity a lot?

Some really cool solutions. I have more or less only built official sets or other peoples MOCs and am thinking about making a buggy or something similar. I never get started as I dont know how to make the suspension and axles, but this really got me inspired. Maybe this should be next project :)

Edited by Askan

The XL motor is geared 1:1, the wheel diameter is ~94 mm. The theoretical max speed is 3,89 km/h (XL motor runs 220 rpm), under last I assume it should be around 3,2-3,5 km/h - slow walking speed. Not a good performance for a speed race car.

This project was made as proof of a concept, but as mentioned, the rear suspension arms are still not stiff enough, maybe later I will think about on new set-up... this is maybe the 9th-10th version, I start to loose the interest as I have already plans for next MOC. The easiest and most expensive would be to use 2 RC motors, which I don't have, and it was also a point in this build to use Power Function stuff only. (Yes, I would happily see new type RC Motors for affordable price dear LEGO! :classic:)

The battery box doesn't influence the stability - thanks for the long and wide wheelbase, but it does help a lot for the suspension behaviour. I have tried several geometry, and finally found a not too stiff and not too soft setup, I wanted to replicate the resposiveness of the real ones. The tilt angle of the car is pretty good, maybe 45° or over, didnt measured.

Video... I am not keen on low quality videos, so if I will do one, it will take loooong (must learn video editing), some guys here put high standards to follow - gladly. :classic:

Edited by agrof

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aCKHhWwdwA

Do You hear gears clicking? Oh yes. :classic:

This is the best I could do now, I will not make longer video, sorry.

P.S.: Can somebody help in embed please? The code as described doesn't work for me.

Thanks Jay Psi - see below!

Edited by agrof

Here's the embedding for you, you just need to use a "regular" HTTP link rather than the HTTPS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aCKHhWwdwA

As for the buggy, it's great. Extra thanks come from me for the pictures of the isolated rear (powered) axle, that's a very elegant design.

Edited by Jay Psi

Realy nice buggy... i like it... :)

Didn't you try to use L motors instead XL? Buggy would be faster... :)

Max...

Edited by MaxSupercars

If I would have 2 spare one... :classic:

Sill there is an option in gearing with the current setup, but the cardans are the weakest points (1 broken). No differential + hard surface + lot grip = no surprise.

I added some reinforcement - not very elegant, but effective - to the rear suspension, now it seems surprisingly reliable, made some drop test also... passed. :wink:

Edited by agrof

That is a very nice MOC and it progresses up the ranks to amazing once you realise that it is your first one. Its a lot better than my MOCs because I cant get bodies to work on mine :cry_sad:

Great moc you built there, looks like it can be made from the 9398 and 42000 sets?