• Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Oustanding

indexed.gif

TIE Crawler Reviewed by Dunamis

Set 7664

548 Pieces

$50.95 from LEGO Retail Store (Glendale, CA)

Build time 1.25 hours

The Box:

7664-1.jpg

7664-2.jpg

It is a bigger box than I expected. It seems to be twice the size as what is needed. Cereal box type ends with two tape strips is what you get. Pretty typical of the Star Wars sets lately.

Here is what you get:

7664-3.jpg

The Manual:

7664-4.jpg

Two manuals included and they had the typical nice features that we have come to expect lately:

- Piece call outs for each step

- Parts inventory at the end of the manual

- Page numbers

Each manual is 32 pages in length.

No color issues in this set. Although I did find a couple of minor errors in the manuals, mainly parts missing from the call-out in a step. Really, it is not a big deal.

Parts list

7664-5.jpg

No inspiration (alternate) models were shown, but they spent five pages pimping all the other 2007 sets!

The Pieces:

Well, nothing new here. Think of it as a 7263 TIE fighter plus about 162 tread pieces and you get the idea. We have the usual assortment of blue (why they like blue on the TIE fighters I�ll never know), black, light bley and dark bley. We have the same TIE canopy that is in all the previous TIE sets.

In addition, you have quite a few Technic pieces. In fact, I�d guess that more than 60% of the pieces are Technic.

There are no stickers.

Here is what is left over:

7664-18.jpg

The Minifigs:

7664-7.jpg

Now we get to the real appeal of the set. We get two of the shadow troopers from the extended universe and the new blasters. As you can see from the photo, the helmets almost have a shiny silver finish to them. It�s pretty cool.

The Build:

A quick build that is somewhat repetitive. Putting the treads together is not too bad and goes by quickly. Each tread �wing� is kind of interesting and they did a good job with it. Experienced builders will zip through this in less than an hour.

There were no gothchas.

Canopy section is done first

7664-10.jpg

Next are the two tread �wings�

7664-15.jpg

7664-16.jpg

7664-13.jpg

7664-11.jpg

Flip out cannon assembly

7664-14.jpg

The Design:

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to combine the 7263 TIE Fighter and the 8272 Technic Snowmobile? No? Me either until I build this set. That�s basically what you have here. Who really knows what the design is supposed to be since we�ve never seen one of these things. Actually, it looks really close to the photos shown on Wookieepedia which you can read about here:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tie_crawler

No Star Wars set would be complete without one of those stupid little fake missiles that LEGO loves to give us. You know, it�s the one that gets lost in the first 90 seconds of play. Take a close look at the photo because it�s the last time you will ever see it:

7664-17.jpg

Here are some shots of the finished set:

7664-19.jpg

7664-22.jpg

7664-24.jpg

Here is the flip out cannon (one on each side):

7664-21.jpg

While we are on the topic of set design choices, I have a few thoughts:

- I don�t understand that decision to give us two of the same minifig. Since the cockpit only holds one minifig, why not give us something else? At least give the second guy a little shadow trooper speeder bike or a jetpack. That would at least increase the perceived value of the set.

- Alternatively, they could have given us one shadow trooper and maybe a unique imperial officer and another imperial droid. Put those two guys in a little control room like the old B-Wing set. Nothing fancy, maybe 50 pieces or so.

- Another thought (which LEGO likes to do) is maybe a little repair bay with an imperial technician minifig. We have plenty of rebel technicians but I�m thinking it would be nice to have an imperial technician.

- Worst case is they could have thrown in a few regular stormtroopers to make the set value more in-line with the price.

Overall Thoughts:

Don�t ever confuse me with someone who won�t buy the latest Star Wars LEGO set. They could package up the new LEGO Rebel Latrine set and I�d buy it. However, I�m not all that impressed with the TIE Crawler. As I mentioned above, it is a TIE Fighter with treads. In addition, it�s ridiculously overpriced at $50 and I don�t even want to know what it costs in Europe and Australia (and other distant locals where you get gouged). Yes, you get two shadow troopers but you are probably better off spending $15 buying one off Bricklink and spending the other $35 on the Y-Wing, Sith Infiltrator, Naboo N-1, etc.

Maybe part of my dislike for the set is that I don�t have any reference for it from the movies. I guess if it was in a few scenes, I could better relate to it. Also, why do the tread wings flip up and reverse? If we had some background on it I think it would be better understood and received. An example is the TIE Bomber. It was only on screen for probably less than 30 seconds, but I understand it and like that set much more than this one.

I know LEGO will be doing more expanded universe sets in 2008 with the Force Unleashed game and the Clone Wars series. I think those sets will be received better because we�ll have source material to draw from and we�ll see them in action.

At any rate, that�s what I think of it so flame away Star Wars fanboys!

Seriously, let�s have some inspired discussion on this set. I�m interested to hear what other people think of it.

Final Rating: 62%

Build 9/10 (Pretty quick, no gothchas)

Functionality 6/10 (Treads are OK. Wings flip up and reverse but we don�t know why. Dumb missile but it sports a couple of hidden cannons)

Design 6/10 (Marginal)

Parts 6/10 (Same old black and blue TIE color scheme. Minifigs are cool though)

Price 4/10 (Way overpriced)

Many Ttks Dunamis for that great review ;-)

I am one of the only one here loving that set and I do stand by it :-P

First the cokpit is really great like the older TIEs and I love the fact that its on treads, it looks like a mean assault machine 8-

Thank you for the review!

Limited Edition -> Omg?

@*yoda* do you already HAVENT the set?

Then your time is @ saturday , i think the Legoland they have it :)

Nope Ayla |-/ The only new SW set I have is the RC so I hope to snag saturday some of the new SW sets and the bat copter as well ;-)

I really can't wait to have those Shadies *wub*

*yoda*

Great review , shame about the set. I have to use the immortal words of luke skywalker "What a piece of junk!". I will get this set for the figs like you dunamis but i will only get it in the sales. I would have prefered a new tie bomber than this junk pile, what were lego thinking *wacko* . No real suprise *yoda* likes it, put TIE on a star wars lego box and he will go mad for it :-D .

Many Ttks Dunamis for that great review ;-)

I am one of the only one here loving that set and I do stand by it :-P

First the cokpit is really great like the older TIEs and I love the fact that its on treads, it looks like a mean assault machine 8-

Wow. It costs even more than the Crawler Crane! I have seen this set in person and thought it couldn't have cost more than half the actual price for what you get. I just really dislike this set. It doesn't even make sense: TIE stands for "Twin Ion Engines" - even the wokipedia says it doesn't use that kind of technology for propulsion!

That new republic Cruiser on the other hand looks like a must have!

Great review , shame about the set. I have to use the immortal words of luke skywalker "What a piece of junk!". I will get this set for the figs like you dunamis but i will only get it in the sales. I would have prefered a new tie bomber than this junk pile, what were lego thinking *wacko* . No real suprise *yoda* likes it, put TIE on a star wars lego box and he will go mad for it :-D .

That's a good point. I would buy multiples of this set if it was on sale for $30 or even $35. $50 just is too much.

Also, I forgot to mention that the trademark imperial insigina tile is strangely absent in this set. Here is what I am talking about:

4150ps5.png

Not sure why LEGO did not include this in the set.

I kinda like this set, actually. But then again, I AM a bit of a SW nerd X-D So I want a model of every ship there is in every single panel of every single comic. As well as those from every single book... Yuuhzan Vong POWAAAA!!!

Uh, sorry...

Unfortunately, I do agree with everyone here : it is indeed waaaay overpriced... I don't think I'll be able to afford it :'-( Even more so if I want to get the RC...

Thanks for the review.

Yaaay!! NO DSS ON! *y*

This set was a must-have for me, but since I built it it's just sat on the windowsill with the rest of my TIEs. Nice model, if a little too wide - but if we look at the actual design of the vessel (this is not a criticism of the LEGO kit as it is what it is, a representation of the "real" thing) - as a Tank it's kind of rubbish, I know it has flip-out cannon in the sides but Tanks should have turrets - in order to really assault everything the TIE Crawler has to charge head-on and even then it can only hit things at a low level - who the heck designed that?

Dr. S.

Dunamis, you realize I hate you for this review! :'-( You just cost me the fifty dollars and the gas prices for a 5-hour road trip the the lego store. :'-(

:-P :-P

My thoughts:

-I agree, one trooper on the ground is a bit odd. A speeder would have been nice, or a cannon.

-That is one huge flick-fire missile!

-The fact that it isn't in a movie doesn't bother me so much- anything with a Star Wars logo slapped on it will attract attention, plus you can easily recognize it with the TIE fighter.

-$50 = :-X

Despite not being a big collector of SW Lego, I was thinking of getting this set for use in my stop-motion animation. I really love *wub* the shadowtroopers! But when I saw the price :'-( ...........

Batbrick Away! >:-)

Great review!!!!

Okay Set with awesome figs *wub*

Overpriced so much I have to hate it from now on >:-( *n*

I agree a small base or repair type small extra would have been much better

Only worth 30USD no more

Final thought and forever judgement:

Grab one on sale next year

Piranha

I like it. Sure, it doesn't make a bit of sense from a design perspective. Sure, it's overpriced. Sure, they could have at least included a little base or something for the second guy to do. Sure, I keep starting sentences with sure. I still like it, go figure.

I like the fold out blasters. A lot. Not because they're really that special or complicated, but it shows thought that has been lacking at times in the line.

I too, will never understand the use of blue when they could use dark bley, with it's bluish tint anyway, but that's just how it seems to go. Wrong as it would be, I'd kill to get them to start using dark blue instead of blue at least. *drools for dark blue*

Great review, great pics, boo for making me buy two of this overpriced set, but I know that by the time I pick up some of those new troopers on Bricklink, I might as well just buy the set for treads and such.

Expanded Universe! *y*

GREAT REVIEW!!! I *wub* this set now and i would get it but my wallet says NO!! lol.

I'll tell you anyway. :-P It's 90 AUD, which is about 30 AUD more that is should be going by the exchange rate alone. :-|

This is why my wallet says no X-D

Edited by hollisbrick

I will get this set for the figs like you dunamis but i will only get it in the sales.

Ok, if you buy the crawler for the figs only, could you send me the treads then? X-D

I

Eventhough I do not post much, I must say a few things on this :). The only place I've seen these crawlers is Star Wars:Empire At War PC game. And they aren't assault vehicles at all, they just blow off themselves and have very very weak armor.

Apart from that, the set is quite nice actually. I love those thread pieces (since you can build tanks with them eheh). Those shadowtroopers are a nice touch too.

Thanks for the review, I like the number of treads in this 'vehicle'

Price 4/10 (Way overpriced)
Unfortunately, I do agree with everyone here : it is indeed waaaay overpriced... I don't think I'll be able to afford it :'-( Even more so if I want to get the RC...

You'll still be better of buying this contraption in the U.S. Here in Holland it retails for 64,95 Euro, that is calculated against the current exchangerate $90 ! 8-

A good review, a nice set idea, cool blackies and fine treads. Bad bad price....

I really don

Wow, with the overseas prices and the general consensus that the set is overpriced, I'm wondering how well this set will sell. If it doesn't do well, I hope LEGO understands that it was the price point. I think it is a $30 set and would sell well at that price.

I just don't see people buying it at $50.

Wow, with the overseas prices and the general consensus that the set is overpriced, I'm wondering how well this set will sell. If it doesn't do well, I hope LEGO understands that it was the price point. I think it is a $30 set and would sell well at that price.

I just don't see people buying it at $50.

One would think that Lego would have learned that lesson from the old 2003 TIE Bomber. I remember it being clearanced out pretty much everywhere (as can be seen from the secondary market, where it has not appreciated as much as other SW sets); I bought mine for $17 a few years ago. And that lack of success was without the 7664's handicaps of a $20 higher price and zero screentime. I just don't see this particular foray into the EU ending well for TLG.

Nice review dunamis *y*!

I bought 3 of this baby today and immediately built one. I concur with you except I