Hello everyone!

So, im new to this forum. I had a lot of regular Lego when i was a kid, but now at 23 years old i started with a 42042 and started reading this forum - theres a LOT of great stuff on here!!

However, i quickly found out that i wanted my 42042 to lift more - my target for now is 1 kilo. I extended the main mast, built a derrick mast, a ballast tray, changed the winch from 1:2 to 1:8 (2*4:1) and replaced the lego strings with 1mmx6m string i found in a Dansih dollar store ("Tiger", for those of you in the know ;) ).

However, im struggeling to get above 550 grams.

My problem is the 6m strings. They are neccesary to have the gearing, but as they roll up on the winch, they take power out of it.

I've found 4 solutions to my problem:

1: do a 2:1 pulley system on the main mast, before my 4:1's. However, this will shorten my available rope

2: Widen my winch. Tried that today with not much change.

3: Gear up the motor, or as im reading in this tread, replace the clutch gear with something stronger.

4: Put in an XL motor in, however, i have to change the superstucture to have the room for it.

Any ideas/advice? ;)

Pictures:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/139899678@N04/

As I mentioned on the last page..... all I did was change the clutch gears out and I lifted more than 800 grams. The video I posted is no joke. Did you watch the video? Did it make sense? If not PM me and I can send some pics. It really was like a ten minute change and, like it shows in the vid. i was able to lift both 8288 and 9391. over 800 grams. No change to pulleys, power, nothin'

Thanks for info guys.

Also on the clutch gear, another way to increase lift but still have clutch gear is to have one stage of gear ratio reduction, before the clutch gear, for example, i think the original design the shaft out of the motor directly feeds the clutch gear. You could instead feed tyhe clutch gear with a small cog. Would have to be careful not to do to much reduction before the clutch, as then it won't do anything at all. (or just don't put a clutch gear in at all)

As I mentioned on the last page..... all I did was change the clutch gears out and I lifted more than 800 grams. The video I posted is no joke. Did you watch the video? Did it make sense? If not PM me and I can send some pics. It really was like a ten minute change and, like it shows in the vid. i was able to lift both 8288 and 9391. over 800 grams. No change to pulleys, power, nothin'

I've seen your video now, and it seems like my solution :) All i need now is a 24 tooth gear... that'll be on my next BL order :b

BTW, a friend of mine is getting me about 4 kilos of lead in both small balls and blocks. My plan is to use the balls in small bags in the rear of the superstucture and remelt the bloks so that they fit on my counterweight tray. I will post pics when this is done ;)

I've seen your video now, and it seems like my solution :) All i need now is a 24 tooth gear... that'll be on my next BL order :b

BTW, a friend of mine is getting me about 4 kilos of lead in both small balls and blocks. My plan is to use the balls in small bags in the rear of the superstucture and remelt the bloks so that they fit on my counterweight tray. I will post pics when this is done ;)

:thumbup: :thumbup: :classic: Look forward to seeing it. Also, if they can fit into something made out of bricks, you can also create something that really looks like counterweights, out of bricks. Just have the weights inside.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :classic: Look forward to seeing it. Also, if they can fit into something made out of bricks, you can also create something that really looks like counterweights, out of bricks. Just have the weights inside.

Thanks! I'll see about the covering it with lego :)

For now, i'm out of parts, only at home in the weekends and a bit low in the Lego budget ;)

I've also started dreaming about building something like a Liebherr LR11350 or LR13000, when the new BWE comes out - those giant 4 part rings must be good for a crane ;)

Something that might be worth trying is to get some low temperature bismuth casting alloy that melts at 70 degrees C. Just build a brick box and pour it in.

Hi all,

I am a new user, I have about a year reading all the forum post!

I'm from Spain and not fluent in English, i use the google translator :laugh:

I just got out of my dark age, last summer, impressed with the new sets from my last, the incredible 8455.

Well, I'm passionate about cranes and bought this fantastic set 42042, which with all the bricks found 15 could grow a little:

259g7r6.jpg

muze6o.jpg

I have build the Unimog again, so I dismounted the jib, I'm waiting for a good deal for a second 42042 set, to build a good model, with counterweight, etc....

the crane could stand up by itself, reducing gears without a little problem, but very slowly.

I recorded a video but is very slow.

then, see you around here when I have more news.

Un Saludo a los compañeros Españoles.

Hi all,

I am a new user, I have about a year reading all the forum post!

I'm from Spain and not fluent in English, i use the google translator :laugh:

I just got out of my dark age, last summer, impressed with the new sets from my last, the incredible 8455.

Well, I'm passionate about cranes and bought this fantastic set 42042, which with all the bricks found 15 could grow a little:

I have build the Unimog again, so I dismounted the jib, I'm waiting for a good deal for a second 42042 set, to build a good model, with counterweight, etc....

the crane could stand up by itself, reducing gears without a little problem, but very slowly.

I recorded a video but is very slow.

then, see you around here when I have more news.

Un Saludo a los compañeros Españoles.

Very cool, any chances of getting a close up of the hook? Love the counterweight :P

Edited by Riley-NZL

Ok guys, based on my pneumatic modification I've decided to change my 42042 to full RC.

Slewing for some yet unknown reason is a bit jerky.

The IR-receiver for driving the tracks is obscured pretty bad and may need some improvement.

It sits below the turn table.

And I definitely need to practice with the remotes. That's why the video is somewhat slow ;)

Very cool. I think the jerkiness of the slewing comes from the boom/hook creating a kind of elestactic effect. You might be able to reduce it by changing how the main boom is connected to the base, but I think it's partly just because of the slight springiness of the plastic.

Very cool, any chances of getting a close up of the hook? Love the counterweight :P

The hook was just a lot of beams, to tighten the rope, nothing special. I've build a counterweight, with studed bricks, but I have no picture with the whole crane assembled. From body and base i've got 12 more 15 stud blue beams, replaced with dbg ones. Waiting for a second (cheapest) set to improve my mod.

I would like to make it as real as possible , with two more motorized functions in the same gearbox, for raising the extra parts. I love also the liebherr powerboom. But i don't know when i can do it.

thx & sorry my english.

Edited by iwbakooa

The hook was just a lot of beams, to tighten the rope, nothing special. I've build a counterweight, with studed bricks, but I have no picture with the whole crane assembled. From body and base i've got 12 more 15 stud blue beams, replaced with dbg ones. Waiting for a second (cheapest) set to improve my mod.

I would like to make it as real as possible , with two more motorized functions in the same gearbox, for raising the extra parts. I love also the liebherr powerboom. But i don't know when i can do it.

thx & sorry my english.

I'd like to see a powerboom built, or any of the dual boom cranes around.

I'd like to building something like the Mammoet PTC 200, using lego train tracks/boogies as the base, but I think something that big is beyond my wallet:

PTC-200-DS.jpg?width=630&mode=crop

Update on my build, some 1x16 beam things arrived (still need six more):

25504241380_cb4199ba9a_b.jpg

25804923695_6a55fb893a_b.jpg

In regards to the Liebherr Powerboom:

I have small plan/dream to build a Liebherr LR11350/LR13000 in scale 1:26, using 42042 and the new 42055 parts (both the now 140 tooth turntable, but also the track links, XL motor, and so on... And if i have my way, that will be in a powerboom configuration, maybe with a jib at the end too.

However, it will be a 1000 USD build and thus 6-18 months into my future :P

Did somebody try to modify the 42042B model, so you can move the trolley by gears or wires?

LEGO_42042_PROD_DET02_1488.jpg

Hi. Technic noob here. Just wanted to share an extremely simple mod I did to differentiate my Crawler Crane from all the other crane type construction vehicles Lego seems to be putting out.

I just switched the claw with a "wrecking ball". Voila! It's not a crane anymore haha. You can even change up the designs of the wrecking ball by using any of the other Star Wars "planets".

8hausJl.jpg

Sorry if this mod seems so trivial.

Edited by ArchieNov

On 15-3-2016 at 9:25 AM, Riley-NZL said:

I'd like to see a powerboom built, or any of the dual boom cranes around.

I'd like to building something like the Mammoet PTC 200, using lego train tracks/boogies as the base, but I think something that big is beyond my wallet:

PTC-200-DS.jpg?width=630&mode=crop

that i didn't see this post earlier, actually I have build a ptc-200 from mammoet.

it is build to minifig scale and had to include some modifications as lego and bending don't mix well

_DSC0864-2.jpg

On Monday, February 29, 2016 at 2:41 AM, Riley-NZL said:

Progress report:

Main boom extended by two sections, jib built, and jib masts started. The join between the main boom, and jib was probably the hardest bit.

25275323461_043d1a1da3_b.jpg

The two grey Technic beams are temporary until I build a winch for them. My first set came with one spare of the long grey support things with a barrel join at each, so I was expecting the second set too as well......turns out it didn't so I'm one short at the moment. Did anyone else set come with an extra one of these?

24737759734_0c88bdd096_b.jpg

Still to do:

Rebuild the main boom's mast

Build a counter weight, and hopefully build a third winch into it somewhere.

Build the pulley system between the jib boom.

Look at extending/widening the tracks slightly

If anyone has any ideas/suggestions would love to hear them. Also are there any cheap sets that contain one of those grey long tension supports with the barrel joins at each end? (I have two yellow ones)

42042 was my first lego crawler crane. Ive always liked the look of big cranes so i decided to try my hand at it. Here's my first version on the 42042 model.

I lengthened and doubled the tracks, widened the space between the tracks, essentially doubled the superstructure, added a second pf battery box for counter weight, doubled the main boom added at second, and added 2 jibs at the top.

Still to do:

Figure out some logical practical solution to the tiny turntable that is provided with the set.

Replace the black 1x11, 1x13 with the gray 16 link pieces.

Add the 900+ more pieces i just bought from brickowl (on top of the 793 that i bought last week for the mods previously stated) to strengthen the main boom and relocate the winches. 

So far i have purchased 2 of these 42042 cranes, and an additional $330 (usd) in brickowl extra parts for this crane. I can easily see another $300-$500 (usd) in parts making this crane bigger, stronger, and more functional.

IMG_0941.jpg

IMG950947.jpg

Edited by MagnusViktor

On 7/14/2016 at 7:35 AM, ArchieNov said:

Hi. Technic noob here. Just wanted to share an extremely simple mod I did to differentiate my Crawler Crane from all the other crane type construction vehicles Lego seems to be putting out.

I just switched the claw with a "wrecking ball". Voila! It's not a crane anymore haha. You can even change up the designs of the wrecking ball by using any of the other Star Wars "planets".

Sorry if this mod seems so trivial.

That is actually brilliant. :sweet:

Hello All,

Here's another small update of my modifications of the 42042 crawler crane. I built the 42042 with an auxiliary boom and a second boom on top of the main boom. the Max height I reached was 1,65m. It was full remote (except for driving) with 1 sbrick and 1 IR receiver. I didn't test the weight it could lift, the ballast it had was a total of 17 AA batteries.

20170131_135214.jpg

Next I decided to downscale everything a little bit, going to the roots again of manual operation (same like in the original TLG 42042). but I added a "slurry wall grab" which is used in construction work to make foundations. The grab is operated by 2 strings, one to operate the buckets and the other one to move the grab up and down. The buckets are from the  42055 BWE.

20170301_135528b.jpg

20170301_135722.jpg

20170301_135748.jpg

20170301_135931.jpg

and here are two videos

Hope you liked it, feel free to comment