Sign in to follow this  
Cecilie

[MOC] Jedi Archives

I reached the third round of the Imperium der Steine MOC Olympics, and my theme for this round was as follows:

Interiors

The inside of spaceships, buildings and more.

And we were told to focus on optical effects and interesting perspectives.

I chose to build the Jedi Archives, and give it a forced perspective depth.

20325639505_fbbac16618_c.jpg

Jedi Archives by Cecilie Fritzvold, on Flickr

"If an item does not appear in our records, it does not exist!"

19702991834_8a92ac0f15_c.jpg

Detail shot of the far away desk.

19702984744_d082d2ea8b_c.jpg

I hope you like it :sweet:

That looks amazing. I love the use of forced perspective.

I'd love to see the curved ceiling (allegedly based on the Trinity College library in Dublin).

James

Stunning. The forced perspective looks really realistic - I was fooled until I looked closer. Also love the way you've created what looks almost like stained glass windows from the use of trans clear and trans light blue plates on their ends. Looks very cool.

The archives, what are they made of?

Trans-clear and trans-light blue 1x2 plates on their sides, I guess.

Stunning build! Just like Bob, I didn't even notice this was a forced perspective build at first. First I looked at the photos and then I read the description afterwards. Then I looked at the photos again and was amazed at how well you pulled off the effect. Even though I now know the background isn't "real", I'm still fooled when looking at the photos. Jaw-dropping effect! :thumbup:

Your FP fooled me too, I thought your creation was much larger! Nice artifacts on either side, those (holocron?) archives looks absolutely fantastic, very complicated and high tech look, love it :classic::thumbup:

This is great! The forced perspective accelerated the build to another level. All the little details are done masterfully, namely the monitors and statues. The chairs Obi-Wan sits in looks very nicely done, and really round out the little computer station. The table, however, I think could have benefited from some Snot treatment. The angles look just a bit too jagged, while the chairs are nice and smooth. The archives themselves look great, but the room looks a bit too barren for my taste. A few library goers would have worked well. Also, the scene seems a tad dark, when the actual archives have a lot of light from the windows. As for the far away details, they look just as amazing as the close up ones. The shrunk chairs and table looks very good, and I love the use of the claw pieces to continue the angle from the front. The mini statues look good, as there isn't much to be done about the monotony at that scale. I do have a question regarding the full size ones however. Was the Count Dooku statue in this scene? If memory serves, wasn't that the hall of fallen Jedi? If I'm wrong you can ignore me, but a detail like that would've looked very nice. The details at the top of the room look just as good, despite being barely seen. One odd quirk about the forced perspective here, it makes the floor look like it has a gentle curve. there probably is no way to fix that, or maybe its just me. And one last thing, did you get the idea for this from the Episode II special features disk? :grin: Cause that what it reminds me of. :laugh: Overall, this is just a great build! I wish you the best of luck.

Edited by GuyDudeMan27

I may sound like an echo, but I thought it was a huge Jedi Archives until I read your description and realized "Oh! It actually IS forced perspective!" Incredible! Loads of detail everywhere you look. Great job :wub:

Thank you everyone :sweet: I'm happy to hear that my perspective works out so well. I took constant pictures from the front as I was building, to make adjustments to the positioning of things to get this effect.

I'd love to see the curved ceiling (allegedly based on the Trinity College library in Dublin).

I had originally planned to build it taller and make the curved ceiling visible at the back end. Sadly, time (and parts...) ran out on me, so I had to frame it like this instead.

This is great! The forced perspective accelerated the build to another level. All the little details are done masterfully, namely the monitors and statues. The chairs Obi-Wan sits in looks very nicely done, and really round out the little computer station. The table, however, I think could have benefited from some Snot treatment. The angles look just a bit too jagged, while the chairs are nice and smooth. The archives themselves look great, but the room looks a bit too barren for my taste. A few library goers would have worked well. Also, the scene seems a tad dark, when the actual archives have a lot of light from the windows. As for the far away details, they look just as amazing as the close up ones. The shrunk chairs and table looks very good, and I love the use of the claw pieces to continue the angle from the front. The mini statues look good, as there isn't much to be done about the monotony at that scale. I do have a question regarding the full size ones however. Was the Count Dooku statue in this scene? If memory serves, wasn't that the hall of fallen Jedi? If I'm wrong you can ignore me, but a detail like that would've looked very nice. The details at the top of the room look just as good, despite being barely seen. One odd quirk about the forced perspective here, it makes the floor look like it has a gentle curve. there probably is no way to fix that, or maybe its just me. And one last thing, did you get the idea for this from the Episode II special features disk? :grin: Cause that what it reminds me of. :laugh: Overall, this is just a great build! I wish you the best of luck.

Thank you for the feedback. Regarding the table, I considered SNOTing it, but I wanted it to not be too thick, and I liked the look I achieved with the rounded plates, so I left it like that.

The choice of putting in just Obi-Wan and making the scene a bit dark is my personal dramatic effect choice :laugh:. Let's call it artistic freedom :wink:

As for Count Dooku, his statue most definitely is in the scene. And as much as I'd have loved to put that in, I didn't see a way of doing so using my choice of colour for them.

I don't know what's on this special features disk, as I do not have that, so no, the idea was just from watching the movie.