CM4Sci

2016 Speed Champions Sets - Rumours and Discussion

Huh, only 5 sets named. There's one set number in Brickset's database but that's probably misplaced.

I missed the hot rod news - this is amazing! Hope they have some good colors and not too bright. And I hope they are moving away from the racing helmet figures, besides for the Audi where it makes sense. But the Ford and Chevie cars are probably street cars and I would love to see some more civilian drivers for those.

Great news! I hope the fix the way the cars actually roll, though. Very stiff, not smooth like most Lego cars and trucks. Not as fun for the kids to play with, and a big let down after getting the 60053 City race car. I made some different colored versions of that set and my kids had a great time racing them around. We got the Speed Champions, and were shocked at how poorly the rolled (except the Scuderia Truck of all things; that uses the standard low friction LBG technic pins instead of the tan technic pins the Speed Champions cars use).

If you look at the list, you'll see that there isn't a 75873. I really hope this is announced as the Ford GT. Ferrari had 2 stand alone car sets this year so why can't Ford?

If you look at the list, you'll see that there isn't a 75873. I really hope this is announced as the Ford GT. Ferrari had 2 stand alone car sets this year so why can't Ford?

according to brickmania 75873 is slated to be an Audi R8 LMS Ultra.

according to brickmania 75873 is slated to be an Audi R8 LMS Ultra.

So there is going to be an extra set, maybe the 100 $ set?

New info!

Official names, nothing too different, one new set:

75870 Chevrolet Corvette Z06

75871 Ford Mustang GT

75872 Audi R18 'e tron quattro'

75873 Audi R8 LMS ultra

75874 Chevrolet Camaro Drag Race

75875 Ford F 150 Raptor Ford Model A Hot Rod

*75876 Porsche 919 Hybrid and 917K Pit Lane*

Hah, alright! I want to see how the Z06 and R8 compare to my MOC'd versions (whose techniques used and pieces are pre-Speed Champions)

If I may be honest, I don't think the last Speed Champions cars were all that great looking as a whole. The 911 and the LaF were decent

Edited by wooootles

Muscle cars tend to look more blockier than European sports cars so they should translate better into LEGO :classic:

R8 LMS ultra, you say?

photo.jpg

They better do the old one, because the new one's got no side blade. I need to see that side blade.

tumblr_nmhvp7pfNs1r0brpio1_500.jpg

This wave is packing a whole lot of horsepower, variety, and some legendary cars (emphasis on the latter). Seeing Ford and Chevy in this theme is the big good news for SC, and the eventual 917K is merely the icing on the cake.

I love this news. I just found the McLaren P1 today after it being sold out at my LEGO store and TRU for months, and I have to say that this is the line I've been most excited about in years. SO glad to be getting another wave!

Absolutely thrilled that we're getting a 919 and 917k to go alongside the R18, I'm a massive fan of sportscars and already have a Le Mans style diorama using the current Speed champions GTE cars. I wonder what version of the R8 LMS we will get and what livery? When are these coming out?

Absolutely thrilled that we're getting a 919 and 917k to go alongside the R18.

True. Finally, we're getting actual championship-winning cars for the Speed Champions theme.

I wonder what version of the R8 LMS we will get and what livery? When are these coming out?

Probably the factory livery I posted a few replies earlier, but I, for one, would like to see Flying Lizard Motorsports on that car.

audi-45-daytona-2nd.jpg

Or Phoenix's Bilstein car.

907e6d936c9517552092ff31216b0be6.jpg

My bet, however, will be on the Belgian Team WRT car.

15-04%20WRT%20new%20Audi%20R8%20LMS2.jpg

I'd expect it will be a factory livery such as the WRT one you've shown or the Phoenix racing version from the 24 hours of Spa or Nurburgring. I'd imagine the liveries such as flying lizard or Bilstein would be less likely due to them not being a proper 'works' livery. I'd personally love a United Autosports R8 LMS but there's zero chance of that.

I wish the corvette they were releasing was the C7R, all we would need is the Aston Vantage GTE and Toyota TS040 and we would have a full grid. (Ignoring Nissan's woeful GTR)

I personally love the gulf colors on just about any car, but 1970 Porsche #23 will always be my favorite Porsche. (and one of my top 5 Le mans cars of all time) this next wave is sure to be hard on the pocket, worse than the first wave

I could definitely see that set including the red 919 and the #23 917. At this years Le Mans a lot of the Porsche marketing such as the billboards involved those two cars sat next to each other as a reflection of Porsche then and now. I'd personally love that as a set.

Does anybody think it would a good idea for Lego to include additional stickers in the racing car sets with other car numbers? For example with the R18 E-tron they could give us numbers 7, 8 and 9 as well as corresponding trim colour differences too. If they were to do that I would buy multiples of that set, same would have gone for the Ferrari 458 GTE too.

Does anybody think it would a good idea for Lego to include additional stickers in the racing car sets with other car numbers? For example with the R18 E-tron they could give us numbers 7, 8 and 9 as well as corresponding trim colour differences too. If they were to do that I would buy multiples of that set, same would have gone for the Ferrari 458 GTE too.

Yess, i think so as well, because then we have an pretext for buying multiple of them

They did something like that with the Horizon Express (and maybe other sets?), including additional stickers in case people bought multiples to extend the train. So it wouldn't be completely unprecedented.

Yeah they did, they included extra coach numbers and also different locomotive numbers too. I suppose if you wanted multiple trains as well as extra coaches that would come in handy. I really hope they do this with the R18, having all 3 of them lined up on a Le Mans style grid alongside the 919, 911 and 458 would look amazing.