CM4Sci

Architecture 2016

Is it just me or does the model cut off the back of Capitol? The most iconic view of Capitol from the National Mall shouldn't be cut off. I still like the set but come on Lego you were this close to having the complete building and model. Just saying.

If this was true, the would have included the west and east wings of The White House... we haven't seen the back but it won't disappoint.

When does the Lego 21030 Come out? Is summer 2016 this wave or the next one?

Either August or September if I recall correctly.

Did anyone else notice the mistakes in the manual for the NYC set? I just finished mine yesterday. I got it for $39 from Amazon. The instructions swap the base location for the Chrysler Building and Flatiron Building back and forth a few times. I thought I was really slipping there for a minute. Then flipped back and forth and realized that the instructions were wrong!

In the September 2016 Lego store calendar it shows the 21030 US Capitol coming in September. So that confirms that one. No word on buckingham palace. But pretty sure that's also September.

Is it just me or does the model cut off the back of Capitol? The most iconic view of Capitol from the National Mall shouldn't be cut off. I still like the set but come on Lego you were this close to having the complete building and model. Just saying.

Not just you, I spent most of today making a mini LEGO US Capitol Building, and looking at floor plans and maps...yes, the LEGO model appears "abbreviated". Check out the overhead view of the model on Brickjournal.

Edited by sparkart

It absolutely is cut off, but TLG has to make various considerations when it comes to price, size, etc. as others said, the White House is missing the wings. Also, Fallingwater is missing the guest house, the Louvre is missing most of the Louvre, Buckingham Palace is cut off, too. imo the view of the Capitol from the Mall is much more iconic than the view from First Street.

As for my opinion of the models - Buckingham palace is all right. But the dome of the Capitol is awful. I appreciate scale considerations when it comes to Architecture models, but the 1x1 round columns above the quarter-circle railings are too bulky and the dome itself lacks the fluting it has in real life. Again, the designers made a choice, but to me the dome is iconic and the LEGO representation is just wrong.

The version of the Capitol posted by Sparkart in the 2016 thread lacks the fluting on the dome but it's a small enough model that just having a dome is the important thing. The official set gets off to a great start at the bottom of the dome but it gets worse as it goes up.

I am still very excited about this set, and while I am disappointed that they basically split the building in half, I am sure that it will be a fun one to mod to be more accurate.

I am still very excited about this set, and while I am disappointed that they basically split the building in half, I am sure that it will be a fun one to mod to be more accurate.

Just got the Capitol, at first I didn't mind the back being cut off, but now, I'm pissed, they practically split it in half from the side, and the back is just 8x1 bricks, I haven't had a chance to mess with it, but I skimmed the manual. Thing is you need two of these sets to complete the back in some way which is easy but still, and can understand the sacrifice Lego did, but oh well, I have to figure out how to get another 100 bucks easily

Are you guys saying the east face, or the west face is cut off of the Capitol building?

The argument could be made that the model incorporates components from both, and ultimately is true to neither.

75292627-ceff-4b1c-a0e2-13b22c1e3d46_zpsqyjypbak.jpg8b7c4e74-19c0-49c5-b728-67b91d2328a0_zpse1jmnorg.png3b6781fe-e36e-4560-8bed-5d0a76b8c80e_zpsyntxdz9a.jpg

Edited by rollermonkey

Are you guys saying the east face, or the west face is cut off of the Capitol building?

The argument could be made that the model incorporates components from both, and ultimately is true to neither.

75292627-ceff-4b1c-a0e2-13b22c1e3d46_zpsqyjypbak.jpg8b7c4e74-19c0-49c5-b728-67b91d2328a0_zpse1jmnorg.png3b6781fe-e36e-4560-8bed-5d0a76b8c80e_zpsyntxdz9a.jpg

The west face is cut off.

Maybe the stairs and one or two studs, but the footprint isn't right either way. It's pretty durned slim, whatever is shaved off.

Edited by rollermonkey

I love americana and the US capitol is one of many buildings I love, although the Lego release is not really bad, it's like the White House, I had to buy two sets to make it more complete since I understand they take some shortcuts to make it work,plus if the US capitol was complete it would have been double the price.

This the Lego vs the PUZZ 3d for the overall similar look, I have a super detailed US capitol Puzzle, but it would have taken me hours to assemble it just to compare.

29404176462_74fb435d27_c.jpgIMG_0649 by Eldian Aguilar, on Flickr

29432501721_a167b9b901_c.jpgIMG_0650 by Eldian Aguilar, on Flickr

29432501211_1cf8216a79_c.jpgIMG_0651 by Eldian Aguilar, on Flickr

29404175912_15d984c1b1_c.jpgIMG_0652 by Eldian Aguilar, on Flickr

29478623126_0378409301_c.jpgIMG_0653 by Eldian Aguilar, on Flickr

28890812913_33c5805299_c.jpgIMG_0658 by Eldian Aguilar, on Flickr

28888115874_16a90883f6_c.jpgIMG_0660 by Eldian Aguilar, on Flickr

Edited by eldiano

Got my Capitol only to find it has a missing piece, one of the dark grey 2 by 8 slabs on top so it is ok to build rest of way but annoying as it seems every 5 sets I buy has a missing piece. I agree with everyone, why not just finish off the back? I would say it would add maybe $50 to the price at most and be a more complete building. Odd to have just cut it off like that.