WhiteFang

REVIEW: 71010 LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 14

LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 14  

165 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this entire Series 14?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding
  2. 2. How do you find this review? Do you find it helpful and useful?

• 1 - Very helpful and useful
    • 2 - Somewhat helpful and useful
    • 3 - Little helpful and useful
    • 4 - Not helpful and useful at all
  3. 3. Do you like the distribution allocation number based on the designs for Series 14?

• 1 - Yes, I love it
    • 2 - Neutral and it made no difference to me
    • 3 - No, I hate it

Thank you for the feedback! I can't see us grabbing a full set, but definitely a few multiples.

So far my targets are Plant Suit, Squarefoot, Crazy Scientist, and the Gargoyle. I wonder which one from this series would have a status similar to Unicorn Girl and Hotdog Guy.

WhiteFang, thanks for another awesome review! It has been a tradition for me to see your reviews for every series before they are released. I always get very excited to see the details of the figures that can first be seen with your crisp pictures. I also really enjoy the group pictures with past CMFs or minifigures from other themes! It is also great to see the scientist has an Einstein face. With Doc Brown's new hair piece, someone could make a great Einstein!

You might have answered this already somewhere, but I have not been able to stumble upon it. Do you not plan to keep taking group pictures of all CMF minifigures anymore? I can imagine that since the collection is huge now, this is not practical anymore. However, I always enjoyed seeing all the figures together in your pictures, something I cannot do myself because my figures are stored in separate ziplock bags and it would take me forever to take them all out. If you cannot take pictures of the complete collection of all series now, perhaps a collage of sorts would be nice? :classic: Just a suggestion!

I was also wondering if you have any of the other Monster Fighters monsters or the Studios monsters. It would be very interesting to see all of the monsters throughout the ages in a single picture! We have now, I believe, four witches (five with the Witch of the West), five Frankenstein monsters, a lot of different zombies, and four non-licensed werewolves.

By the way, here's how the first three Frankenstein monsters compare! Found it on Flickr. :wub: Short of two versions now...

Summary review

Playability: 8.5/10 (New and old minifigure designs that can be integrated across many new and existing themes/settings.)

Design: 8.5/10 (Excellent detailed printing with decent new accessories especially the new headpiece mould designs.)

Price: 7.5/10 (I believe pricing may remain the same for Singapore and I hope it will not subject to any price increase as it is quite expensive as it is based on worldwide.)

Wait, what? I know very well about the ridiculous pricing here in Singapore, but is it really so infamous that it is worth a mention? *huh* Is there a whole topic on it?

Thank you guys for your interest in this review. I enjoyed reading all of your comments.

You might have answered this already somewhere, but I have not been able to stumble upon it. Do you not plan to keep taking group pictures of all CMF minifigures anymore? I can imagine that since the collection is huge now, this is not practical anymore. However, I always enjoyed seeing all the figures together in your pictures, something I cannot do myself because my figures are stored in separate ziplock bags and it would take me forever to take them all out. If you cannot take pictures of the complete collection of all series now, perhaps a collage of sorts would be nice? :classic: Just a suggestion!

I have certainly planned to take a group photo in the future, but based on my current set up I am not able to re-arrange all of these again until I am able to find a much permanent solution. Because I always keep them in storage and take them out when needed. Thus, the last time that I have taken a group photo was for LEGO CMFs Series 11. It was a difficult decision and I have indeed max out on the 48x48 baseplate.

9385044056_a9ee3b5e9e_o.jpg

I was also wondering if you have any of the other Monster Fighters monsters or the Studios monsters. It would be very interesting to see all of the monsters throughout the ages in a single picture! We have now, I believe, four witches (five with the Witch of the West), five Frankenstein monsters, a lot of different zombies, and four non-licensed werewolves.

Unfortunately I do not have any of the Studio Monsters and all of the other Monster Fighter monsters. I am still working to acquire them. It is definitely interesting to see them altogether. Speaking of which, I would definitely need to look for the fifth witch which is only available in LEGO Dimensions.

By the way, here's how the first three Frankenstein monsters compare! Found it on Flickr. :wub: Short of two versions now...

Thanks for the link.

Wait, what? I know very well about the ridiculous pricing here in Singapore, but is it really so infamous that it is worth a mention? *huh* Is there a whole topic on it?

Singapore pricing on CMFs remain competitive and have not been subjected to the outrage pricing similar to our US counterparts. Their retail price is at USD$3.99. I am praying and hoping that the CMFs pricing will not increase for the new Series 14. Otherwise, my scoring for pricing will drop. In addition, this is one of the few LEGO items which is (thankfully) are much friendly in price unlike most of the other set releases.

Excellent review as always, WhiteFang.

I quite like the packaging. I also like the directions for the textiles, even if it feels a bit arbitrary to have them after having skirts and capes for so long.

This series looks like it'll be a breeze to feel for with all of its unique parts.

Looks like there's 6 torsos with back print, and 8 have dual-colored arms or arm printing. Not bad. I also noticed that the Wolf Guy, Wacky Witch, Plant Monster and Banshee all have printing on the necks of their torsos. I wonder the significance...

Despite the scimitar, I love the Zombie Pirate. I plan on giving him a set of black epaulettes, a plume for his hat, and a new sword.

The head under the Monster Scientist's headpiece is superb!

Definitely getting two Fly Monsters, because I'm on the fence about the claw hand. Then I can have one with two claws and one with regular figure hands.

It's pretty crazy they actually put in a plastic cape for the Spider Lady, as the assembly seems very large for a CMF bag. But I know anything is possible since Medusa's snake tail has come to being.

It's pretty crazy they actually put in a plastic cape for the Spider Lady, as the assembly seems very large for a CMF bag. But I know anything is possible since Medusa's snake tail has come to being.

The Plant Monster's head is far larger, and the plastic cape is completely flat softer plastic that can be folded.

Another fantastic CMF review! Thanks, WF! :thumbup:

I am so enamoured with this lovely series, I may actually collect every single one, along with some extras too. The unique heads and other parts are just wonderful and so useful to make new characters for super heroes and Star Wars aliens! :grin:

Our Halloween display is going to be sick this year with the HH and other monster sets out, but these guys will make for an amazing monster mash party!

The Plant Monster's head is far larger, and the plastic cape is completely flat softer plastic that can be folded.

I was just referring to the fact that it's a large plastic sheet, which is a first for CMF. I wonder if you can feel it easily through the packaging...

Thanks for a great review.. I think its great that Lego decided to go "all in" on a single theme, hope to see more of that in the future. Now im just waiting for an all flesh CMF series..or even a Friends one..

I was just referring to the fact that it's a large plastic sheet, which is a first for CMF. I wonder if you can feel it easily through the packaging...

Probably not that easily, since you have to contend with the leaflet cum instructions in the bag as well.

Nice review, excellent job. I actually found a case of these at my Toys R Us today. I randomely grabbed about 18 figures. I did a little fondling of the bags, but not a ton. Needless to say, I was so lucky with what I grabbed. I wanted as many plant dudes as I could get, to army build, and I got EVERY one, all 4. I got 2 Banshees, a ghost, a skeleton dude, a witch, and a Bigfoot. I was very happy too get all those, as well, and I got 1 Tiger lady, which I wanted too. The duds, I got were 2 Zombie pirates, 2 Wolfmen, and 2 Monster rockers. The only 2 I really wanted and did NOT get, were the zombie cheerleader, for her hair, and the Fly dude.

When they rang up at the register, they said " cant be sold till Sept 1st ". Luckily the girl over rided it and sold em to me.

So keep your eyes open, they r around.

Tiger woman!! And the gargoyle would probably work well with a blank grey head piece for castle sets. Maybe lose the legs and mount it on an inverted slope?

Just completed the series two days ago and I love it. So many creative ideas with the new headgear, the PomPoms, the wings, the characters themselves, what's not to love. There isn't really a bad one in there this time.

Now if only the haunted house were still available so I could display them in style...

I'm one figure short of completing the set, but I just noticed the cheerleader has a hole in head (or hair, actually). I'm wondering why. It seems kind of far back for a tiara or crown.

I guess i'm in the extreme minority but I dislike this set. It has some nice new parts but I really dislike the way none of them are easily usable in a city setting.

I'm one figure short of completing the set, but I just noticed the cheerleader has a hole in head (or hair, actually). I'm wondering why. It seems kind of far back for a tiara or crown.

Maybe a party hat ?