Sign in to follow this  
Dannylonglegs

[Challenge 2] [Cat A] OT-Cog 1

The OT Cog 1 is Dr. Long's personal shuttle.... well, it's not hers, technically. The ship is one of many Cog model shuttlecraft used by Octan personnel for extra-orbital transportation needs. The crew is typically 2 to 3, a pilot, the optional co-pilot, and the passenger, as is the case with Cog 1. Some have been modified to decrease cargo space in favor of more seats. Dr. Long took a liking to the Cog 1 very early on in her employment at Octan, and nowadays no one dares reserve its use for fear of irritating Dr. Long... a mistake that could make any Axle worker's life miserable. Dr. Long frequently uses the ship to shuttle herself and her Science drones to and from the Axle. It can hold up to 6 Sc106 specimen acquisition drones.

20266429675_11523dc308.jpg

The "Head" is so snotty I built it upside down. It's very sturdy.

20079847299_38d31dddc1.jpg

Rear wheels fold out. Front wheels need to be put on manually. :blush:

20258183892_7c883ca6a8.jpg

20078484030_99ecc855c9.jpg

20272404961_9923f77bf4.jpg

Bay door allows minifigures to climb in with very little space. Watch your heads! :laugh:

Several nights of little sleep building this, and one final all nighter. I'm exhausted, but she's done.

Anyone know how to photograph big ships like this well? :wacko:

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Edited by Dannylonglegs

Very nice (and big!) ship Danny, I especially like the ribbing in the middle! The shape of the front is great as well. Looking forward to better pics!

Definitely the most spaceship-looking spaceship we've had. Very cool design and I also really like the way that middle section plays against the white hull.

Better pictures! :grin: If you have advice for how to make my Pictures even better, or would like to see a specific angle, or portion of the ship, please ask!~

20266429675_11523dc308.jpg

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Edited by Dannylonglegs

Very nice ship Danny, though it appears in the first pic as if your background might be a little small! :laugh::grin: The dark gray section in the middle is my favorite - the slopes and greebling there are superb! :sweet: The wheels and door underneath are some excellent details as well!

Very cool - I love the shaping of the 'head' and the 'Octan' radar dish is a nice touch!

One thing I've been trying lately is photographing against a dark background - that makes it a lot easier to cut out the white ships. I also picked up one of those tri-fold cardboard stands (old school science fair style) to help hold the backing paper up.

...Anyone know how to photograph big ships like this well? :wacko: ...

Get another sheet of paper! :grin:

Actually for super long things (like my ship two years ago) I use a sheet; problem with that of course is wrinkles.

The other thing is to just get as close as you can and then do some editing - yours is fairly straight lines so you have an advantage there. Or of course, you can just have a half background - better than nothing! :thumbup:

Anyway, I'm really liking the front here! As I already mentioned the ribbing is great too. The back does kind of feel like you could have done better with a bit more time, but that is definitely something I understand!