Richard Dower

What was your most difficult building experience?

last night i had one of the most bizarre building experinces of my Technic career. I was buidling the B model of 8067 and for some reason i could not get my head around it, it felt like the most convoluted and complex build ever.

maybe i was tired but 292 parts took me over 3 hours to build!.....wtf???!!

have you had a similiar experience?, was there a set that made you pull your hair our or give up?

image 1

image 2

Edited by Jim
Images too big

Sorry to say that, but it couldn't be 3 hours... OMG! That's a lot. But back to the question: my most difficult experience was maybe the 8258. But it will be (when it finished) the Arocs. :-)

Sorry to say that, but it couldn't be 3 hours... OMG! That's a lot. But back to the question: my most difficult experience was maybe the 8258. But it will be (when it finished) the Arocs. :-)

i looked at the clock when i sat down and then when i finished...over 3 hours, i couldnt figure out where parts were supposed to go, pins would not snap into place....i made mistakes etc.

It took me a long time to build 42009. Partly because of all the gears, but mostly because there were just so many steps. Also my colorblindness didn't help: I ended up tearing apart half the model because I used the only 7L black beam somewhere in the middle, instead of a DBG one. I should note that this was my first "studless" build after my dark ages, so that may have been part of the problem :wink:

In the olden days, I remember that 8480 took me quite a while. It is very compact with a lot of functionality in a small space. I remember routing the wires required some attention. Also 8868 was challenging for me at that age for the same reason: all the hoses had to go to the right place.

I made more mistakes with the 42029 than usual. Building huge mocs from lxf file is always challenging

For me it was the 42009, I took around a week to build it but I only built an average of an hour and fifteen minutes a day. I had a big problem making the boom, I could not figure out where the string went.

Yes, the 42009 was not difficult to build but a lot of time consuming... I built it in 3 nights, each 3-4 hours... So totaly 10-12 hours... I don't remember exactly...

Max...

Edited by MaxSupercars

8860, around 1982 I think, with an average of 27 parts added on each page. 8851, with the tightest fit for pneumatic hoses ever. Or maybe 8466, first set after dark ages before color coding of pins and axles and before I revived my eye measure for beam and axle lengths.

After that building official sets has become easier and easier each year, no matter the size of the set.

8466 for me. I've built it a few times and every time I screw up the doors.there was one hinge point that is critical for the door lifters to operate correctly and the instructions aren't totally clear. I always miss it by one hole.

42009 was a challenge and I made a few mistakes but I caught them before I got too far into the build

The most difficult overall would be the JCB JS220 excavator designed by Jennifer Clark.

As for official sets: 8480. I've built it twice, both times I found it difficult. I've done something wrong because this time the rubber bands for the FOS lights keep slipping. A good reason to disassemble and rebuild it. :grin:

I think 8880 has been the most difficult official set for me. At the time I was rather new to technic and it was a really difficult build. I also remember I had made a mistake that took forever to find and correct. It was driving me nuts. But at the same time, this masterpiece was one of the most rewarding and fun build ever.

For me it was 8865. First technic set I got a little over 20yrs ago, everything about it was totally new to me and I could not believe I had got my hands on it. I think the shock of having bought it played a part. I spent a whole day, at least twelve hours or more, building it with no break. Still use the parts.

H

Is it okay that I have never had any building frustrations? At least, not with any official set. I am very challenged by certain MOCS, especially the ones that only have LDD instructions. I also frequently run into roadblocks with my own creations, which is why I don't post that often.

packaging electric wiring into Sheo's excavator is easy if you don't care about damaging the cables. If you do, it's a challenging exercise!

Probably my most fun difficulty is the stack of hose runs in the 8868.

For me it was 42009, lots of place where you can go wrong. The new Merc 42043 was difficult too, but not as much as the crane.

I once forgot to put in a clutch gear that made the Unimog's steering work that was right in its heart

Without question, it was this compound of five tetrahedra. Even with a computer model on the screen it is very hard to work out how to interleave them.

last night i had one of the most bizarre building experinces of my Technic career. I was buidling the B model of 8067 and for some reason i could not get my head around it, it felt like the most convoluted and complex build ever.

Please don't post images larger than 1024 wide.

42009 was my first set and it was most difficult. I spend about 12 hours to build it, and was careful enough to make no single mistake. And then i was sleeping for another 12 hours)

Lucio Switch Tractor Truck in a 4-Axle-Dump-Truck Version :blush:

After weeks of building ... still not finished.... :cry_sad:

Ahh, and i forget one:

Sariel's Leopard 2 ... redesign it with LDD just from the few pics he released ... but it is done :sweet:

Never found building instructions much of a challenge. I have always found that LEGO building instructions leave little to no room for ambiguity. However the story is totally different when I started building my own technic MOCs with complex mechanisms. Some intricate mechanisms can take me hours, days or even weeks till I get the design right (or right enough, perfection doesn't exist).

Set # 8674-1: Ferrari F1 Racer 1:8

I can't say it was the most difficult. But it was the set I've delighted every moment of building!

8466, for all reasons mentioned above. The horror of searching for a few black pins w/ towball between hundreds of black pins and other black parts...