I'm part hoping it's... something else since I was looking forward finally relaxing and enjoying my up to date collection for a while which is why I have been rushing to get them all. (Not there yet)

This looked like such adorable small theme this time last year... I'm just so new to this all. :laugh:

Hope this works

http://tinypic.com/3ia4wlk4

Looks to me like it's just teasing that the new sets will appear in the September issue of the magazine, and it's just phrased a bit confusingly so it sounds like it could be talking about the sets themselves being out in September.

It wouldn't actually surprise me if LEGO had developed a third wave of sets for this year given how well the theme is developing (waiting ~8months between waves is a long time). However I wouldn't make any predictions based on that image - it doesn't even use the word 'sets', it just refers to Elves and then look for the LEGO club magazine in September. So it just sounds more like the magazine will have a bigger focus on Elves during that month. Maybe comics or a continuation of the story line or better look into the world of Elvendale.

It wouldn't actually surprise me if LEGO had developed a third wave of sets for this year given how well the theme is developing (waiting ~8months between waves is a long time). However I wouldn't make any predictions based on that image - it doesn't even use the word 'sets', it just refers to Elves and then look for the LEGO club magazine in September. So it just sounds more like the magazine will have a bigger focus on Elves during that month. Maybe comics or a continuation of the story line or better look into the world of Elvendale.

I can't think of a single theme that gets three full waves per year, save for "impulse" themes like CMFs and Mixels. So I certainly doubt any such thing was ever planned for Elves.

Also, there really haven't been any eight-month waits, have there? The spring wave released worldwide in March and the summer wave releases worldwide in August. That's five months—not at all an atypical release schedule for your average biannually-released theme.

I can't think of a single theme that gets three full waves per year, save for "impulse" themes like CMFs and Mixels. So I certainly doubt any such thing was ever planned for Elves.

Also, there really haven't been any eight-month waits, have there? The spring wave released worldwide in March and the summer wave releases worldwide in August. That's five months—not at all an atypical release schedule for your average biannually-released theme.

You're right.

I was referring to the wait from summer to spring. I was off by a month then. 7 months still feels long. I had thought larger themes, like Friends, had three waves. But it must be all the polybags that are spread out throughout the year that mistakenly gave that impression.

Just got Ragana's Castle! Hope to be able to show you some pics soon!

And I ordered Queen Dragon's rescue, but it's not here yet.

Lucky people. The sets don't come out in the U.S. until August, so I've had to make do with building them on LDD. Can't wait to see pictures!

Star Wars gets three full waves per year. :wink:

Hm, I guess that's technically true for some years... but then, it's a somewhat special case, since it's a MASSIVE licensed franchise. Star Wars could almost be considered to be equivalent to multiple interconnected themes, with separate release schedules for multiple product categories (for instance, the constraction figures release on their own schedule, and each new movie release brings with it its own wave of sets, often separate from the main summer and winter releases).

The same wouldn't really happen with an in-house IP like Elves. What media Elves does get is scheduled to tie in with and support set releases, rather than the set release schedule itself having to be reworked to tie in with a pre-scheduled movie release.

Edited by Lyichir

Second half of the castle review is up :)

I had a good long look at the queen dragon and I like it very much, but I will not be buying it. I have reached dragon saturation. But, it is a great looking set make no mistake!

Edited by Velouria

Queen Dragon arrived & built :) Will take pics tomorrow in better daylight.

Ouch. That crystal mine is expensive for the piece count. The other sets are in the range for what I expected. Still what an expensive wave of sets! Quality looks excellent though.

Edited by Iria

Iria - is always like that - The sets for second line of sets are the ones that need to be bigger to be a better presents for christmas, while first year often gets more sets that are starters for theme! :)

Iria - is always like that - The sets for second line of sets are the ones that need to be bigger to be a better presents for christmas, while first year often gets more sets that are starters for theme! :)

That makes sense regarding big sets for Christmas. I did a tally in my head and even with fewer sets during the summer, the total is just so much more than spring this year. It's great that the theme is expanding the number of large sets available. It would be nice to get a couple more cheaper sets, as they tend to run out the fastest, leaving limited options for families/AFOLs on a budget. Nexo Knights, for example, has a better price distribution of sets coming out this summer (I realize it's a bit difficult to compare Elves with many other themes, since it's likely still catering to a smaller consumer population, but still).

What are your thoughts about the dragons?

For those of you who’ve purchased the sets with dragons, what do you think of them? Do you plan on trying to get all of them, or would you rather avoid them altogether? Do you like/hate them as much as you thought you would? Which is your favourite so far?

I wasn’t really a fan when they were first announced, but after buying the Secret Market set with the earth dragon, I’ve warmed up to them. I’ve even bought the Water Dragon Adventure afterwards. I think Thorne (green) is much easier to put into ‘normal’ poses, like sitting/laying/standing/walking and looks more natural than Merina (blue). Merina was trickier to pose because she was a shorter torso combined with a longer neck. I think her design works better with more dramatic poses. I've been impressed with their durability and playability. I've knocked them off the table a couple times and they've held together perfectly. I decided against putting on the stickers.

I’m undecided whether I will pick up the summer sets that have dragons. Partly because getting all the summer sets would be pricey, and partly because I don’t know if it’s worth having a collection of dragons. I do like all the Elves brick built structures this summer, dragons notwithstanding.

If you have any of the dragons, especially the new ones, let us know what you think.

27581106161_47a20c9f65_n.jpg27581110971_4f62e83c79_n.jpg

27655120345_cd3a9da325_n.jpg27044853463_01670d20c9_n.jpg

@Iria: i too got the Market set and was really impressed by the green dragon. I never got any of the Ninjago dragons, but this dragon's build was lovely and resulted in a very organic looking shape.

I tend to purchase sets more for the pieces than the set itself, but i always build it first, and i love how well designed some of these Elves sets are. The market's build was a little simple (compared to the tree houses of last wave which I adored. And had a difficult time dismantling :blush: ) but the Dragon was a fun part for me.

I don't know that I'll purchase a set with a dragon for the dragon, but the White dragon looks a bit tempting to me. The Green dragon's part selection was surprisingly useful, but the palate is not something I work with often.

Posability is excellent, and it really looks like a creature, and not just a brick built statue. The design pays off, and I'll use it to inspire any creatures of my own I end up making in the future, I think. :classic:

~Insectoid Aristocrat

I built the three earlier dragons recently. They went to shelf right after so I don't have all that much. Some thoughts from when I was building:

Starting with the water dragon I was quite impressed with it after I was done.

Next the fire dragon, which then disappointed me with less posing possibilities. I'm planning to take away the second wing connectors so I can at least turn the wings around more, but the neck also is very limited in movement. I like that this one is bigger than the others.

Earth dragon... no separate neck piece and not as awesome tail. Also two wing connectors again but that can be fixed.

I'd modify them but I don't have the pieces. I'd take out the saddles and do something about the joints where I feel they don't move enough.

I maybe wish that the grey pieces were black... But I'm not entirely sure about this yet.

I do like them now that I built them and played with them a tiny bit, I didn't really expect that. Looking forward to the last two dragons, I'll be getting them soon-ish.

And also looking forward to where this theme goes next even if it's starting to get bit overwhelming for me. I expected only two sets this summer, like last year, whew...

I haven't looked at the show very much yet but these sets are so pretty.

I own Merina Thorne, and now the Queen dragon. All three are rather good looking and very 'displayable', especially the Queen. They were super fun to put together, and seem sturdy and well designed. The two dragons that I don't own, fire and wind - I don't think the scale they were built in fits them very well. The dragon heads work better with the smaller dragons. Maybe in the future I'll try buying the heads, wings, and stickers for the wind and fire dragons and rebuild them to fit the smaller size.

I have been interested in the Elves theme for quite a while now but haven't invested in it yet. If you guys could only get ONE Elves set, which one would it be? Is there a standout one? I want to see whether it's for me or not and i am having a hard time deciding...