How do you guys feel about the 'minifigures'?

I guess this has been discussed before, but I really like the builds/looks of this theme except for those minifigs.

It kinda feels like buying a set without the figures because, in my opinion, they are useless.

I like 'em. They have some nice lifelike detail and awesome outfits. I don't think the theme would be as nice with classic minifigures.

As for being "useless", I don't think they're any less useful than any other type of figure you don't already own. It's true you probably already own minifigures and don't already own mini-dolls, which might make them less useful to you at first. But realistically, if you limited your collection to types of figures you already owned then you probably wouldn't have any minifigures to begin with! Most people aren't born with LEGO collections, after all, and every collection has to start somewhere.

I like them. They are just a little more life like. They have very detailed prints, I just with there were more male characters.

I also really like the mini dolls as elves. Mixing the friends dolls with reg figs bothers me but Tolkien style elves are consitantly described as taller thiner and pale-er than humans so the mini dolls fit perfectly in that context.

I agree Ottergeek, much more Tolkien-esque.

I quite like the minidolls. As Velouria said, they're more life-like. They allow more detailed artwork, more realistic faces. The ladies can sit down in their dresses. The only thing I'd like to see in the future is movable hands; like minifigs.

I accept the Elves minidolls, as their designs to have a sort of magical beauty to them that makes me forget they're minifigures. The fixed hands will always bother me, but the body type works for the Elves really well.

To me their just way to far a departure from the traditional minfigures, you can't really mix them with minfigure, without them looking like some strange race and their way less customizable than the minifigures, don't get me wrong, the builds are great and the printing and the hair pieces on the elves are excellent, but their just to different, they have more in common with Poly Pocket then they do with minifigures.

I hope the hoods are properly compatible with minifigs, they seem to look big enough at least.

As for my opinion about the minidolls: It's hard to say because I don't have any, but I think they're cute. Only thing I don't like are the non articulated hands and the articulation of two feet at the same time. However, I think It suits them in some way opposed to minifigs.

There is a new polybag coming out with Sira! :classic:

30375 Sira's Adventurous Airglider

I KNEW there'd be an airship at some point >:D Though I hope she gets a proper one in the future, and it looks like Ninjago's Raid Zeppelin <3 <3

Hm... I can't help but feel a LITTLE miffed that we didn't get a more substantial airship for her... but I suppose this is better than nothing. It's a nice model for a polybag, at any rate.

Also, does it bother anyone else that the U.S. Lego Store Calendar for March doesn't even mention Lego Elves? I would think that'd be a high-profile release, but even the back omits it in favor of Minecraft, Ninjago, and Speed Champions, and Juniors Disney Princess. :hmpf_bad:

I was a bit miffed myself. I figured Elves would at least be mentioned, but nothing. The polybag is cute, but I hope they plan to release an actual airship not just an airglider.

I guess this has been discussed before, but I really like the builds/looks of this theme except for those minifigs.

It kinda feels like buying a set without the figures because, in my opinion, they are useless.

I love the minidolls. I use Legos to play with my Micro ball jointed doll and regular minifigures make her look like a giant.

I particularly enjoy playtime with my granddaughter. She recognizes minidolls as dolls. Her favorite minidolls are the Elves, so far.

Does anyone know if the Sira Polybag will be released in the US?

Yes. Gift with purchase at LEGO Stores (and online) in April.

Edited by Tragic Banjo

Minidolls are the biggest flaw with themes like this. I love the looks of the sets, but the minidolls completely turn me off. And it's a value argument, since minifigures typically add value to a set. The sets have less value without minifigures, and to me the minidolls do not add that value back.

To me their just way to far a departure from the traditional minfigures, you can't really mix them with minfigure, without them looking like some strange race and their way less customizable than the minifigures, don't get me wrong, the builds are great and the printing and the hair pieces on the elves are excellent, but their just to different, they have more in common with Poly Pocket then they do with minifigures.

I completely agree.

Minidolls are very nicely detailed, and lots of the hair pieces are really well done. But in comparison to the classic minifigure, they are too different to be compatible (to me).

The compatibility issue doesn't seem to matter to children and they're TLG's target demographic, so I don't see the problem.

Thank you Tragic Banjo for the information about the polybag. :classic:

The compatibility issue doesn't seem to matter to children and they're TLG's target demographic, so I don't see the problem.

Fair enough, but the issue does matter to a sizable portion of their other customers. It's a problem to me.

<p>I think the best solution was the one proposed by Kotaku: that every set come with a cupon you could mail in to buy minifig versions of the elves. It would be expensive but maybe helpful to the AFOLs that want to love the sets but cant get past the minidolls. In any event I dont see the mini dolls going anywhere they have done thier job of bringing young girls into lego very very well. It will be funny 10 years from now when the kids who grew up playing with friends and elves sets look back and try to understand what all the fuss was about. after all to a lot of kids mini dolls have been around as lond as they have been playing with lego.

Edited by Ottergeek

<p>I think the best solution was the one proposed by Kotaku: that every set come with a cupon you could mail in to buy minifig versions of the elves. It would be expensive but maybe helpful to the AFOLs that want to love the sets but cant get past the minidolls. In any event I dont see the mini dolls going anywhere they have done thier job of bringing young girls into lego very very well. It will be funny 10 years from now when the kids who grew up playing with friends and elves sets look back and try to understand what all the fuss was about. after all to a lot of kids mini dolls have been around as lond as they have been playing with lego.

I have an easier and cheaper solution: If someone doesn't like minidolls, they should unclench their...jaws ;) and try to accept them. If the kids like it, why shouldn't we?

Lol I agree! But we are 4 yrs into the dollpocalyps and people still fear the minidoll cooties so I'd just like a solution so that every thread about new elves/friends sets doesn't need to have ten "I love the set but can't buy it because owning mini dolls will make my penis fall off" comments (obviously I'm embelishing for comedic effect)

Putting aside the pointless minidoll controversy... I have this weird hunch... it involves the suspicious absence of Sira's airship and hooded Farran...and the NY Toy Fair. If my hunch turns out to be true, I'm officially declaring myself a clairvoyant :grin:

Question for people who read the chapter book, does the airship actually appear in the plot or is it just hinted at?

Edited by FortNerd

Putting aside the pointless minidoll controversy... I have this weird hunch... it involves the suspicious absence of Sira's airship and hooded Farran...and the NY Toy Fair. If my hunch turns out to be true, I'm officially declaring myself a clairvoyant :grin:

Question for people who read the chapter book, does the airship actually appear in the plot or is it just hinted at?

The airship actually appears, which is part of why I'm surprised it's not yet depicted in a set. She uses it to guide the Earth Dragon to the Dragon Sanctuary (which, interestingly, is NOT visited by the main characters). It isn't described very clearly, though, apart from apparently having an engine based on the sound it makes.

But please, tell us about your hunch. I'd love to see Sira's airship and a hood/cloak for Farran in a set, but unless there's a D2C set or store exclusive waiting in the wings I have no idea whether we'll get them, at least not this year. And there don't seem to be any conspicuous gaps in the set numbering or other rumors to suggest that there's any sort of exclusive in store...