VBBN

Bionicle 2016 Story Discussion & Rumors

NINJAGO's original episode is a very confusing mess after its DVD release, fan interpretations and later international releases. The original run on CN, IIRC was the episodes "Episode 1: Way of the Ninja", "Episode 2: The Golden Weapon", "Episode 3: King of Shadows" and "Episode 4: Weapons of Destiny". Some fans consider the forty-minute special two separate episodes (?), though I'm not sure how valid that claim is.

The original airing on CN in the US packaged it as two episodes, that's how it is on Netflix too. The four episode division was on the LEGO site and I think aired elsewhere?

NINJAGO's original episode is a very confusing mess after its DVD release, fan interpretations and later international releases. The original run on CN, IIRC was the episodes "Episode 1: Way of the Ninja", "Episode 2: The Golden Weapon", "Episode 3: King of Shadows" and "Episode 4: Weapons of Destiny". Some fans consider the forty-minute special two separate episodes (?), though I'm not sure how valid that claim is. The DVD release, at the very least the international version, merged all four "minisodes" together as "Episode 1: Way of the Ninja". Kind of trivial on this subject, but here's where it starts getting confusing: The later episodes effectively reset the episode counter, and the US release of "Episode 1: Rise of the Snakes" to "Episode 13: Day of The Great Devourer" were considered season 1, whereas the international release kept the original 40-minute special as season 1. Kind of pointless and trivial, but I just thought I'd let you know :wink: Anyway, TLG's done testing the waters. 2015 was the year for that, though I imagine that with only four episodes the community's going to be a lot more restless next year.

Well that's convoluted. :tongue: Anyway, my point was that Ninjago became a successful show with more complete seasons later on. And I'd argue that 2015 was not the year for testing the waters for a BIONICLE show. The animations we had this year were fine, but they're a different format than a TV show. Captivating kids for 90 seconds at a time is one thing, 20 minutes is something else.

The original airing on CN in the US packaged it as two episodes, that's how it is on Netflix too. The four episode division was on the LEGO site and I think aired elsewhere?

Ah, thanks for letting me know! I wasn't sure if it was true or not, only that it's something that's been floating around in the fanbase for a while.

Well that's convoluted. :tongue: Anyway, my point was that Ninjago became a successful show with more complete seasons later on. And I'd argue that 2015 was not the year for testing the waters for a BIONICLE show. The animations we had this year were fine, but they're a different format than a TV show. Captivating kids for 90 seconds at a time is one thing, 20 minutes is something else.

Fair enough, I suppose. But couldn't the animations be seen as a way of testing the waters to see if BIONICLE could be successful in an audiovisual format?

Fair enough, I suppose. But couldn't the animations be seen as a way of testing the waters to see if BIONICLE could be successful in an audiovisual format?

Merlin Mann said in his interview with TTV that he felt the webisodes this year were 'testing the waters' for bigger things, so definitely. It's pretty apparent at this point that he meant this show as far as 'bigger things,' but I guess there's no reason that this in turn can't be a test for the viability of a longer series. Just stepping things up year-by-year to see what the market is going to consume.

I do wonder whether these four episodes will constitute the entire year's story, or if there will be more in summer/fall 2016. I know the Atlantis TV special, for example, did the whole story, featuring summer sets and everything, despite airing in winter 2010.

Edited by Tazakk

Merlin Mann said in his interview with TTV that he felt the webisodes this year were 'testing the waters' for bigger things, so definitely. It's pretty apparent at this point that he meant this show as far as 'bigger things,' but I guess there's no reason that this in turn can't be a test for the viability of a longer series. Just stepping things up year-by-year to see what the market is going to consume.

I do wonder whether these four episodes will constitute the entire year's story, or if there will be more in summer/fall 2016. I know the Atlantis TV special, for example, did the whole story, featuring summer sets and everything, despite airing in winter 2010.

Breakout, Brain Attack, and IfB all had the summer sets, despite airing in spring, so I imagine that these four will be the entire year's story. The books and other supplementary material will fill in the cracks.

With the Netflix show on the horizon, I wonder what'll become of the online animations? I really enjoy them, and I'd hate to see 'em go. But having two "shows" most likely telling the same story might be little much.

With the Netflix show on the horizon, I wonder what'll become of the online animations? I really enjoy them, and I'd hate to see 'em go. But having two "shows" most likely telling the same story might be little much.

Maybe will only have a small recap-ish of each episode while the full thing is in Netflix?

I'd like the animations to take more of a side-story role, perhaps centering more on the island's legends and villiagers instead of the Toa. Best example I can think of would be the 2002 Bohrok animations

Edited by Dr_Chronos

I'd like the animations to take more of a side-story role, perhaps centering more on the island's legends and villiagers instead of the Toa. Best example I can think of would be the 2002 Bohrok animations

I would love something like that. We desperately need worldbuilding in a visual media.

... Though at the same time, I'm slightly worried that the jocular approach that Lego has taken towards side-stories in the years since 2002 (see: The Yoda Chronicles) would result in these new animations being less story-focused and more comedy.

I see some people are counting on a NYCC reveal but as there is a possibility we get absolutely nothing (Still pretty sure there will be a promo mask at least and seeing their increase in media presence I find it possible we get at least something) when Lego usually shows of their new stuff for next year?

I see some people are counting on a NYCC reveal but as there is a possibility we get absolutely nothing (Still pretty sure there will be a promo mask at least and seeing their increase in media presence I find it possible we get at least something) when Lego usually shows of their new stuff for next year?

It's possible if TLC want to launch the sets as a sudden surprises. :classic:

People might have noticed this before but do the titles of the Toa sound alike to their G1 counterparts?

I know people have pointed out Mata/Master, but now Nuva/Uniter sounds kind of similar. I guess it's just the 'U' in each throwing me off, who knows.

And I'm really curious if that Tahu/Ikir carving is more then just a teaser into 2016. Is this part of the prophecy? If so what significance are the Creatures? Where are the carvings that predict the inevitable 2017 Toa?

And I'm really curious if that Tahu/Ikir carving is more then just a teaser into 2016. Is this part of the prophecy? If so what significance are the Creatures? Where are the carvings that predict the inevitable 2017 Toa?

I have a feeling it is a similar prophecy saying that 'great heroes will tame the forces of nature' or something like that.

Edit: Here are the two bins of objects sitting by the Toa. The first bin looks like the crystal addons and the second bin looks like something else, maybe the swords. This leads into the idea that the Toa get upgraded by Ekimu. What I find interesting is that the pieces look like they are in a different art style- perhaps hinting that the style seen in the picture if the one that will be used for the 'Journey of One'.

Edited by TheDesuComplex

I have a feeling it is a similar prophecy saying that 'great heroes will tame the forces of nature' or something like that.

Edit: Here are the two bins of objects sitting by the Toa. The first bin looks like the crystal addons and the second bin looks like something else, maybe the swords. This leads into the idea that the Toa get upgraded by Ekimu. What I find interesting is that the pieces look like they are in a different art style- perhaps hinting that the style seen in the picture if the one that will be used for the 'Journey of One'.

The second bin looks more like a spiked vine to me. Perhaps it's a hint that next year will take place in the wild?

I really don't think we're getting more Toa except maybe Takua/Takanuva, and even him I'm having doubts on. IMO it's pretty clear they want to focus on one single team of heroes, like with successful lines like Ninjago.

I really don't think we're getting more Toa except maybe Takua/Takanuva, and even him I'm having doubts on. IMO it's pretty clear they want to focus on one single team of heroes, like with successful lines like Ninjago.

Oh, I don't doubt that. I'm just wondering why everyone seems to assume that our current Toa will get a third remake in 2017 when there's no precedence for that.

As for Takanuva, I think it's safe to say at this point that Ekimu represents Takanuva for this story.

The second bin looks more like a spiked vine to me. Perhaps it's a hint that next year will take place in the wild?

Pretty sure it's just the bin of 'jungle element' for mask making that we first saw all the way back in the Legend.

Pretty sure it's just the bin of 'jungle element' for mask making that we first saw all the way back in the Legend.

But the fact that they displayed it alongside next years pieces suggests greater significance.

But the fact that they displayed it alongside next years pieces suggests greater significance.

Or that in this low budget series they tried to reuse stuff as much as possible. I doubt we'll have a mask of vines or anything similar, lol.

With all the trilogy talk I'm 99% sure we'll be having the classic squad in 2017. But I really hope they're not gonna shelf us new forms by then. Two transformations in a row feels unnatural. It took 6 years to get the Mistika/Phantoka, and it wasn't even worth it.

Oh, I don't doubt that. I'm just wondering why everyone seems to assume that our current Toa will get a third remake in 2017 when there's no precedence for that.

Hero Factory rather set one, methinks. Granted, it's not a perfect comparison, but I imagine that the marketing factors are quite similar.

Hero Factory rather set one, methinks. Granted, it's not a perfect comparison, but I imagine that the marketing factors are quite similar.

BIONICLE G2 is playing much, much more similarly to G1 than HF. I don't see that happening tbh.

But I fear it will :/

Edited by TwistLaw