VBBN

Bionicle 2016 Story Discussion & Rumors

But the Ghost Leak coincides with the playtester report, whether those claims were legitimate remains to be seen. But if we are going by that information then clearly Mask Hunter is not Umarak as the playtester report states the presumed Mask Hunter as a larger Ekimu, and white and gold I believe. Umarak, I believe is more or less confirmed as black in primary color by another user who knows a shop owner(this was before Nekchir, not him). I suppose nothing is confirmed though. Speaking of which, when can we expect summer 2016 pictures?(joke)

Yeah, as GK377 explained the Ghost name leaks and the Playtester reports are seperate information, though reported on together due to seeming similarities. The Ghost name leaks appear to be fake given they dont seem to match-up with the list of names we presume are going to be for summer (Given we're getting beasts instead of Ghosts)

Though the Playtester reports remain unknown at the moment as to whether they are valid or not.

Also, maybe Makuta isn't the main main villain, but the MoUP has created it's own being, like the Entity of Ultimate Power or something. That would make an awesome double villain twin pack, though. So Makuta as a servent, like manga Tetsuo was to Akira. I mean, Makuta was the main villain of G1, someone fresh might not be that bad an idea.

I get the feeling at this rate it'll turn out the relationship between Makuta and Ekimu will become more like Wu and Garmadon in Ninjago. Makuta starting off as a villain, revealed to have been turned evil via an event and while possibly having a darker side to him, ends up helping the heroes against the evil controlling him. Would just be a nice, though previously used, twist. Having the MoUP revealed as being a seperate entity that perhaps could be the main villain of the series.

===

As for story thoughts;

2016 - Wave 1;

Ekimu and the Toa now know that Makuta is out their and possibly awake/awakening. Ekimu upgrades the Toa with new masks and armour to combat this (using the weapons we saw in his tomb). However before they can do anything, Kopaka is captured by LoSS, who is revealed as surviving the fall. The rest of the Toa go underground and end up defeating LoSS, discovering that LoSS was being controlled by Makuta. Kopaka is revealed as being kept in a cage by LoSS, however is saved via Tahu. Kopaka however dismisses that he was saved by the Toa explaining he can do this on his own and didnt need help.

LoSS is left trapped in a cage with Makuta speaking through LoSS explaining that the Toa cannot win. Onua knocks out LoSS with a punch. The Toa then proceed to question Ekimu about the prophecy. Ekimu re-iterates that while he was the better craftsman, the Mask Of Control enabled Makuta a greater control over the elements. Explaining that the elements themselves have physical representations in the Okoto universe in the forms of the creatures (Larger and more powerful versions of their set forms). To create a new Mask Of Ultimate Power Makuta would need to gather the elemental essence again given off from the creatures.

Ekimu realises that everything Makuta has done, releasing the Skull Spiders, controlling LoSS, trying to destroy the Mask Of Creation... has all been one large distraction. Makuta has been searching the island relentlessly using his minions - as his main goal is finding the creatures. Meanwhile we are introduced to Umarak, a bounty hunter from a distance land who seems to remember encountering the Toa before (This aspect would be touched upon slightly during the story and lead the Toa to question more about their origins). The Toa decide to split-up and find each of the elemental creatures, with the idea that they are still united even when separated and that their duty is to unite the creatures to mount a defense against Makuta.

Each of the Toa succeed in tracking down their own creatures, yet Umarak has managed to collect the essences of all the creatures other than the creature of Ice. Kopaka encounters Umarak and decides that he can take him instead of retreating. Kopaka and Umarak end up fighting until Kopaka remembers what Ekimu said about Unity and unites with his creature, Melum. The combined force of the two manages to wound Umarak enough into retreating and releases two of the essences. Though Umarak still manages to escape wtih the essence of three of the creatures and is shown smirking.

2016 - Wave 2;

Umarak returns to Makuta, who appears in the form of glowing red eyes surrounded by mist above a tomb that contains his body. Its revealed that Makuta already has the Mask Of Control which his minions had retrieved shortly before the Toa arrived, this is what enabled him to control LoSS and the Skull Grinder. Disappointed at Umarak's failure to retrieve all six elemental essences, Makuta tries to take over Umarak, however Umarak manages to break open the tomb and remove the Mask Of Control from Makuta.

Umarak puts on the Mask Of Control getting empowered. With his new powers he decides to make his own beasts to help him retrieve the final three elemental essences. Using the three essences he has he creates three beasts and uses them to attack the Toa, however each of the Toa unite with their respective creatures. Ekimu faces off against Umarak, who appears to be losing his sanity as Makuta's spirit still remains attached to the Mask Of Control (set-up for a spirti being connected to the MoUP later on)

Defeating the beasts releases their essence which Ekimu absorbs via his hammer of power, growing in size becoming more toa-like. The new Toa-sized Ekimu and Umarak face off. During the fight Umarak's memories start to return and he remembers seeing where the Mask Of Ultimate Power is - the stone region. Yet before he can act on his thoughts and go there, through the combined work of everyone and a final blow from Kopaka and Melum he is defeated. Umarak's lifeless body falls into a deep chasm while wearing the Mask Of Control. Kopaka realising that he cannot do everything alone and accepting that Tahu is his equal as the Toa and Ekimu leave, parting ways with the creatures.

However, its is revealed that Makuta has taken over the corpse of Umarak via inhabiting the Mask Of Control. Makuta is free, has a body and has a rough idea of where the Mask Of Ultimate Power is. The 2016 Summer wave ends with him laughing maniacally as the Toa feel a shudder proclaiming that 'its not over'

Apart from the "LOSS rematch and caged Kopaka" (which I think was just concept art for this year that never got used), I think your idea sounds plausible. At least it's something I would like to follow.

Ok, actual story information we've gotten from the catalogues;

"Text blurb is mainly talking about the elemental heroes of okoto, back in action after getting new armor and masks from the mask maker, just in time for their biggest threat yet: Umarak the mask hunter. They said something about the small creatures but I don't remember it. These things are usually less about the story and more about how you can make money if you choose to add the LEGO bionicle products to your shelves"

So essentially;

- Umarak is definitely a Mask Hunter

- Ekimu provides the Toa with new amasks and armour

So Umarak is hunting the masks. Interesting... but he must be hunting the creatures as well; otherwise who is sending the beartrap things after them?

Does it say what's the purpose of the new Golden Masks? I hope they aren't masks of elemental power the Toa have to search for again; that's just lazy writing (and before anyone says it, I know G1 had a similar repeated formula plot in its early years; but the purpose of a reboot is to change what's weak and keep what's good, isn't it?).

Speaking of masks, why do you think Ekimu didn't just make them new Golden Masks on the spot? Lack of resources, maybe?

So what does everyone think of Umarak's backround? Think it will be any significance to the story? Maybe it's Umarak's hunting grounds where he keeps the MoCo.

Box background I mean.

Also, just noticed the swinging axes/blades on it.

Edited by MakutaOfWar

So what does everyone think of Umarak's backround? Think it will be any significance to the story? Maybe it's Umarak's hunting grounds where he keeps the MoCo.

Box background I mean.

In the background I can see what looks like a white-and-black Chi Fluminox and another figure that is running on a ledge. Could these possibly be Storm Beast and Quake Beast? It reminds me vaguely of graphics from 'The Maze Runner', which would be an interesting plot point where the United Toa have to navigate a maze inhabited by the Beasts and Umarak.

Also, it was brought up that the creatures could go unnamed; I think that they will be named cryptid legendary beasts. Think along the lines of Loch-Ness or Bigfoot. By sentient I mean that they will understand and think, but maybe not communicate. I DEFINITELY do not want them to just say their names like Pokemon.

That Chi Fluminox is simply Lewa with his creature attached to his back. Also, I think you're the first person I've seen, Desu, that uses the word sentient properly. Most people use it when they mean sapient.

That background reminds me of a prison. Or some kind of storage. Mostly a prison.

Whatever it is, doesn't feel like it's on the surface of Okoto. I feel it's underground.

That background reminds me of a prison. Or some kind of storage. Mostly a prison.

Whatever it is, doesn't feel like it's on the surface of Okoto. I feel it's underground.

Hmm, an underground jungle. Where have we seen that before?

So what does everyone think of Umarak's backround? Think it will be any significance to the story?

I think It's some sort of underground city or a prison. About the story, I don't know.

Should the talk about the upcoming animations go to here? I guess so. Anyways, there are no commercials on Netflix and would they really put 90 seconds of animations in there? There has to be some minimum there, right?

10 minutes, 20, CGI? Ghost?

If it is a full on TV show on Netflix I'd think it be less about promoting the sets and more to make a profit of itself, right? Probably not, I don't know, but where would it start the story off? Simply recap a whole year that wasn't shown to an audience and start with 2016, or go through 2015 in a few episodes or so?

Edited by MakutaOfWar

Whatever it will be I have a feeling it will make this years animations absolutely pointless.

I really hope that Umarak is still alive at the end of the 2016 story. Skull Grinder was a massive flop in terms of creating an original, interesting villain. He had as much dialogue as the rest of the Skull Army (ie: none), almost no originality in his build, a proper name that was never mentioned in any of the online animations or the book, and to top it all off, his entire character was basically deleted with the revelation that "lol it was Makuta the whole time because evil = evil". Umarak seems to be a step in the direction of fixing several of the problems that Kulta had, and the fact that he's getting two sets this year only makes me more hopeful. Umarak has the potential to be an interesting, original character for G2, separate from Makuta and possibly even with his own motives (such as the idea being tossed around that he's a mercenary hired by Makuta, which leaves open the possibility of him trying to betray Makuta and take the power for himself). The only way that I can see this going wrong is if they have the Toa kill him off at the end of his debut story arc--- which, sadly, is a very real possibility. If he does survive, however, that gives us loads of story potential for the following years.

If it is a full on TV show on Netflix I'd think it be less about promoting the sets and more to make a profit of itself, right? Probably not, I don't know, but where would it start the story off? Simply recap a whole year that wasn't shown to an audience and start with 2016, or go through 2015 in a few episodes or so?

If it's a full series, there wouldn't be much trouble at all in adapting this year's episodes into a single pilot.

He had as much dialogue as the rest of the Skull Army (ie: none), almost no originality in his build, a proper name that was never mentioned in any of the online animations or the book, and to top it all off, his entire character was basically deleted with the revelation that "lol it was Makuta the whole time because evil = evil".

He does speak, we just haven't gotten to it yet in the episodes. And there's nothing to indicate that Makuta is directly possessing him - all we know is that he is 'under Makuta's control'.

If he doesn't speak in the books, he won't in the animation.

...Okay, but he does speak in the book. And the next animation leaked a little while ago, and he speaks in it. :sceptic:

...Okay, but he does speak in the book. And the next animation leaked a little while ago, and he speaks in it. :sceptic:

Sure, sorry, I wasn't clear enough: he ALMOST never talks. He's got literally two lines, which are nothing to write home about.

Box background I mean.

Also, just noticed the swinging axes/blades on it.

I'm more interested on those shadowy hands in the corner; they're too demonic to be the Toa's. Makuta's spirit, maybe?

I'm starting to think Umarak may be a third, independent party, wanting to take advantage of the devastated Okoto. Perhaps he'll start as an ally and guide to the Toa through that complex and betray them at the end of the Winter arc.

That Chi Fluminox is simply Lewa with his creature attached to his back.

I actually thougth that was Tahu, till I saw the solitary Ikir on the side.

Also, I think you're the first person I've seen, Desu, that uses the word sentient properly. Most people use it when they mean sapient.

You can blame the Star Wars prequels for that.

Seconded. Also, they already did the "stolen power" plotline (kind of) with the Skeleton Army this year.

Speaking of, maybe the symbols are the source of their elemental powers now? Or at least what allows them to combine with the Creatures?

I just realized, even if the Creatures are single characters it's still possible they're each from different species. Maybe Creature of Fire, Creature of etc. is going to be the title for the sets and we will get actual names for the species in the books and what have you.

Maybe Terak and Melum are both of the same species but in different regions? Good excuse for a bad design choice.

Had a little talk with CM4Sci, apparently there was no mention of Netflix on Elves pages on the catalog at least and seeing that they are 10 minute flash animations I would guess the Bionicle animations will be on par with the Hero Factory ones.

Had a little talk with CM4Sci, apparently there was no mention of Netflix on Elves pages on the catalog at least and seeing that they are 10 minute flash animations I would guess the Bionicle animations will be on par with the Hero Factory ones.

Looks like some really good news. Hype!