VBBN

Bionicle 2016 Story Discussion & Rumors

Dunno if this been brought up. But it seems that the island between fire and jungle don't count it to belong in either of them

http://www.lego.com/.../bionicle/okoto

Could this distant island be Umarak's hiding place?

Look, a bit of Fire region is in the Jungle. Does it mean that it belongs to Jungle?

It means that web-designers were too lazy to draw the lines correctly.

Look, a bit of Fire region is in the Jungle. Does it mean that it belongs to Jungle?

It means that web-designers were too lazy to draw the lines correctly.

Correctly? Yes, but they didn't draw any lines to that island at all.

Found a interesting (but extremely and extremely crazy) theory on a Russian fan-forum, which seems to have come from 4chan - 2016 happens in a universe in which the Toa never existed (or have died). Umarak is a local hunter, while the creatures in the background are natives and the Shadow Traps are evolved Skull Spiders. Also, the island on the poster is Mata Nui, only in a mirror reflection.

Found a interesting (but extremely and extremely crazy) theory on a Russian fan-forum, which seems to have come from 4chan - 2016 happens in a universe in which the Toa never existed (or have died). Umarak is a local hunter, while the creatures in the background are natives and the Shadow Traps are evolved Skull Spiders. Also, the island on the poster is Mata Nui, only in a mirror reflection.

That's kinda cool! Any more details about this story idea?

Shadow traps being evolved skull spiders is an idea I had as well but having seem them, i'm pretty sure the shadow traps are robots rather than a organic being like a skull spider.

I prefer the shadow traps to been robot drones rather than a organic creature. I think the complicated texture on the shadow traps fits better for a mechanical drone.

In the MMvsSG designer video the designer talks a little bit about the MoCr. He mentions the runes on the "crown" are the source of the mask's power. This could just be an error or mistake. However it's interesting to note that if you count the Nuva Symbols as runes, all of the masks of 2016 have runes inscribed on them. Even the creatures have some. Could magic runes be the source or the "mythical link" of the mask's power?

And while I don't believe the rules from G1 apply to G2, the Nuva Symbols were the source of the Toa's elemental power.

Noticed that the gold masks next year have trans blend...

But the trans-blended gold masks from the Skull villains were power-drained versions...?

So, now we have trans blend indicating power drained and... Whatever the 2016 masks are supposed to represent. Crystal power?

I just found that interesting. I must say, though, that the spikey backs of the masks look better with that trans blend since it reflects the whole crystal aesthetic this year.

Still wondering what the significance of the crystals are? Probably just Quaza some new elemental power source.

What if in G2 the Masks are, instead of Kanoka disks, made from those crystals? Or maybe, Masks and armour/weapons made from those crystals enhance their user's power?

What if in G2 the Masks are, instead of Kanoka disks, made from those crystals? Or maybe, Masks and armour/weapons made from those crystals enhance their user's power?

That actually makes a lot of sense. I can see it happening that they explain the masks and weapons are made from the crystals which could be described as a natural resource of the island with strong elemental connections or something.

I believe Makuta had boxes with the elements inside when he made the Mask of Ultimate Power, but that might be an excpetion to the rule.

The sets box art shows the Golden Masks floating over pedestals sitting on top of crystal-like formations, so maybe they are indeed a natural aspect of Okoto's landscape. We know that masks with powers more similar to the G1 ones exist, maybe the powers these crystals yield depend on their colours or on the region they grow on.

Actually I came up with this theory for my BIONICLE headcanon I'm building (which is a combination of G1 and G2), but it'd be cool if G2 actually went down this route. Not to sound arrogant but hey, mining crystals to make Masks sounds pretty cool to me. Actually sounds better than "they're made from disks", which is something I never liked very much I'll be honest.

That's actually what I've been thinking. Like, a crystalline form of elemental power.

Makes sense and also would explain how the heck they can make a mask out of something like fire or water.

In the MMvsSG designer video the designer talks a little bit about the MoCr. He mentions the runes on the "crown" are the source of the mask's power. This could just be an error or mistake. However it's interesting to note that if you count the Nuva Symbols as runes, all of the masks of 2016 have runes inscribed on them. Even the creatures have some. Could magic runes be the source or the "mythical link" of the mask's power?

And while I don't believe the rules from G1 apply to G2, the Nuva Symbols were the source of the Toa's elemental power.

I doubt it; this year's Golden and Protector Masks had no runes. A better theory would be for the runes to give non-elemental power; after all, the only masks that have them have some sort of non-elemental function: Creation, Control or Unity (not sure if that applies to the Creatures, though).

That's actually what I've been thinking. Like, a crystalline form of elemental power.

Makes sense and also would explain how the heck they can make a mask out of something like fire or water.

yesyesyesyesyespleaseyes :thumbup:

Also, the new Unity masks are surrounded by those crystals in the boxart, so it seems plausible.

Now on an unrelated theory: maybe Umarak the Destroyer is this generation's version of the Kardas dragon? As in, he loses to the Toa at first, so Makuta (or the MoCo, to increase the similarities) gives him a power boost to fight again?

That's a fantastic idea, and I hope they go with it. I always felt like the whole process of mask-making in G1 seemed a little bizarre and unnecessarily complex (why not just use protodermis and cut out the middle step?), so this would be a good simplification.

That's a fantastic idea, and I hope they go with it. I always felt like the whole process of mask-making in G1 seemed a little bizarre and unnecessarily complex (why not just use protodermis and cut out the middle step?), so this would be a good simplification.

Why buy iron ore to make a stainless steel spoon when you can buy sheets of stainless steel? I have a feeling that Kanokas were made seperately as a sort of way to transport Protodermis as a more finished material.

I like the idea of using raw elemental crystals a lot though- it fits Ekimu far better, being more of a rustic, skilled artisan than just another metalworker. Here's to hoping it shows up in canon.

Why buy iron ore to make a stainless steel spoon when you can buy sheets of stainless steel? I have a feeling that Kanokas were made seperately as a sort of way to transport Protodermis as a more finished material.

I like the idea of using raw elemental crystals a lot though- it fits Ekimu far better, being more of a rustic, skilled artisan than just another metalworker. Here's to hoping it shows up in canon.

Besides for kids it would be easier to use their transparent Lego crystals as raw Mask material, then pretend that a glow in the dark disk can become a mask...

The skull masks don't seem to have any powers.

Umarak's mask might have powers considering it has a transparant green color to it. This has so far only been seen in Toa and Protector masks all of which have elemental powers to some extent.

This is based on absolutely nothing but Mask of hunting would be my guess. It could allow him to sense targets from long distance and give more precision to his shooting.

Do we even know if Umarak's mask is a mask? What if it's his face like Hydraxon?

Assumedly it's a mask, considering he's likely meant to be able to replace it with the Mask of Control.

Gali seems to use the SW lightsaber hilt piece.

I'm not quite sure what you mean. She has the crossguard lightsaber piece, same as Kopaka and the shadow trap from Ketar (can't tell if it's Dark Stone Grey or Titanium Metallic, probably the former), but the silver metallic connectors in her weapon are not the lightsaber hilt piece, but rather these.

(also this is the story topic)

Edited by Aanchir

Eep. I meant the crossguard. And I am very sorry for getting that badly mixed up with regards to topic.

At any rate, I wonder if the toa and creatures will actually combine minds in-story when in Unity mode, or if they'll just be able to hear each others thoughts. Speaking of which, do you think the creatures will be sapient? I always like the "sapient, but still animalistic" approach.

Edited by DraikNova