VBBN

Bionicle 2016 Story Discussion & Rumors

Yes please. One of the catalysts for the comparisons was surprising amount of JoJokes people have made with G2. Like this beauty for example:

Hah, that was great! I had seen a picture someone made of Makuta in Dio's pose from Sono Chi no Sadame (when he's menacingly removing the stone mask, using the shadowed MoUP), complete with the DODODODO characters. If they had gotten around to using the Vahi, that would've been great for an AMV set to Sono Chi no Kioku. Damn, now I want a Bionicle fighting game to introduce bonkle memes to the masses.

I just browsed TVTropes a while back, and I noticed two extra problems with the finale noone seems to be discussing:

1. Every major subplot has been abandoned with no explanation. Why did the Toa lose their memories? Doesn't matter, story's over! Why did they seem to have memories of Ekimu and the Labyrinth of Control? Doesn't matter, story's over! What was the deal with the Mask of Time, and why was it necessary to call the Toa? Doesn't matter, story's over!
  2. The ending was just a temporary solution. Makuta is trapped in the Shadow Realm, yes; but he was already trapped before and could communicate with his minions just fine. What's to stop him from calling the surviving Skull Creatures/Raiders, or recruiting new followers?

Yeah that ending still gets me. Main issue I have is that the characters change personalities constantly (whatever little personality they have). It's a problem they've had since Hero Factory. Don't know if it's a problem with other themes, but I feel it makes it hard to get attached to the characters when it's never solid or set. Lewa, Tahu and Kopaka changed completely for instance.

I just browsed TVTropes a while back, and I noticed two extra problems with the finale noone seems to be discussing:

1. Every major subplot has been abandoned with no explanation. Why did the Toa lose their memories? Doesn't matter, story's over! Why did they seem to have memories of Ekimu and the Labyrinth of Control? Doesn't matter, story's over! What was the deal with the Mask of Time, and why was it necessary to call the Toa? Doesn't matter, story's over!
  2. The ending was just a temporary solution. Makuta is trapped in the Shadow Realm, yes; but he was already trapped before and could communicate with his minions just fine. What's to stop him from calling the surviving Skull Creatures/Raiders, or recruiting new followers?

Sorry, but it's already discontinued for now.

Edited by Chimaninja454

Yeah that ending still gets me. Main issue I have is that the characters change personalities constantly (whatever little personality they have). It's a problem they've had since Hero Factory. Don't know if it's a problem with other themes, but I feel it makes it hard to get attached to the characters when it's never solid or set. Lewa, Tahu and Kopaka changed completely for instance.

Cold not agree more. Lewa changed drastically from animations to JtO. Kopaka did somewhat...Tahu barely had any character development in the first place, but I definitely see what you meant. Gali had almost zero character development throughout. Onua's personality also changed...and Pohatu became an angrier character. It's a shame. Overall, going ack and reaching the whole thing....JtO was pooooorly written. Fan goggles off, it's very low-quality. It's unfortunate.

wonder if Journy to One was affected by Lego sacrificing its marketing Budget to cover production costs due to their high demand sets. i remeber Dorek saying the decision to end G2 seemed to come about during the production of the netflix series and given how the show was more or less and advertizment for the toyline they had the comission budget cut and therefore could not aford the same writers or the time to get everything in order. it did basically condense what was supposed to be the 3rd year's plot and a super tight production schedule does not allow for continuity/plothole checking.

i would want to say the differnces between the web animations and JtO charatcers was due to differnt studios tackling each production but they were both one by Volta so it cant be that.

maybe this was a severe case of early installment weirdness where the story team fleshed the heck out of the charatcers once they learned they were getting 20+ minute episodes rather than just the 2 minute snippets.

also who thinks joT would have been a full blown 13+ episode series rather than the 4 episode miniseries we got? i would figure it would have been bigger bt the aformentioned marketing budget cuts widdled the 13 episode comission to 4.

they could have at least done 6 episodes, the story desperately needed detail, and a better ending. A fight between makuta and all six toa, with him wielding all six elements against them, would have been awesome.

wonder if Journy to One was affected by Lego sacrificing its marketing Budget to cover production costs due to their high demand sets. i remeber Dorek saying the decision to end G2 seemed to come about during the production of the netflix series and given how the show was more or less and advertizment for the toyline they had the comission budget cut and therefore could not aford the same writers or the time to get everything in order. it did basically condense what was supposed to be the 3rd year's plot and a super tight production schedule does not allow for continuity/plothole checking.

From what I've read, the reduction of the marketing budget was specific to American marketing campaigns. So it would have primarily affected things like how many TV commercials LEGO themes got on American TV networks or how many special events were held at American stores, rather than things like the production values of LEGO TV series, TV specials, and Netflix series. Those things are generally produced and budgeted on more of an international basis.

Edited by Aanchir

From what I've read, the reduction of the marketing budget was specific to American marketing campaigns. So it would have primarily affected things like how many TV commercials LEGO themes got on American TV networks or how many special events were held at American stores, rather than things like the production values of LEGO TV series, TV specials, and Netflix series. Those things are generally produced and budgeted on more of an international basis.

wow! now Bionicle's cancellation makes even less sense because it seemed to hinge on it being a sacrifice. learning that the budgets that got slashed were events and TV spots G2 had all that and more so it had its full budget,if I make sense.

ould have also explained the AFOL centric social media campaign as they had a guaranteed customer base in us grown up fans and nothing is cheaper than having employees shoot VLogs for facebook.

do special promotional items such as themed jewelry count towards marketing? because folks have been saying Lego screwed themselves over by making 14 karat gold versions of every golden mask in 2015 which ate up hundreds of dollars of the budget.

i am utterly confused now :(

Does anyone know if preliminary images of what would've been the 2017 sets exist somewhere?

It would be nice if we could build the sets with existing pieces, at the very least.

Since the decision to end Bionicle came midway in JTO's production which was in 2015, I doubt Lego made preliminary images for potential 2017 sets. The furthest they would have gotten is concept art at best and I doubt Lego would release those.

Does anyone know if preliminary images of what would've been the 2017 sets exist somewhere?

It would be nice if we could build the sets with existing pieces, at the very least.

Really, I'm pretty sure the only semblance of 2017 they ever came up with was the design of the Mask of Ultimate Power, and even that might have been (at least) partially finished back in 2015.

Overlord Makuta's printed shield and purple loincloth? Those could've easily been made a few months ago, specifically for the model and the contest video.

Then there's that really odd printed Super chest that Mask Maker Makuta had in JTO that we've never seen in plastic form. Not sure what to make of it since the MM Makuta on the designers' desk used a piston shell on his torso like MM Ekimu.

Overall, I don't think there's been any 2017 set plan that went beyond a few doodles and concepts. They couldn't even settle on a consistent colour scheme for Makuta. :laugh:

I'm not sure if anyone has posted it yet, but... Oh. My. God. (Also, the proof it isn't fake)

EDIT: It can be a bootleg, though, so I might've jumped to a conclusion. :hmpf_bad: To be perfectly honest, I'd have probably brushed it off as a bootleg if it wasn't for the fact that this DVD was a giveaway on that webpage - is that even legal if that's a bootleg?

Edited by Onepu the Protector

3 hours ago, Onepu the Protector said:

I'm not sure if anyone has posted it yet, but... Oh. My. God. (Also, the proof it isn't fake)

EDIT: It can be a bootleg, though, so I might've jumped to a conclusion. :hmpf_bad: To be perfectly honest, I'd have probably brushed it off as a bootleg if it wasn't for the fact that this DVD was a giveaway on that webpage - is that even legal if that's a bootleg?

It isn't a bootleg. The DVD has Universal branding, and they published The Legend Reborn. They just reused assets they had lying around from that movie, because why bother when A) Bionicle is dead and B) the DVD seems to only be getting a limited Australia release.

It reeks of "nobody wanted this, but it's some weird contractual obligation. let's get this over with and pretend it never existed"

4 hours ago, Onepu the Protector said:

Well, the Universal branding is the reason why I (and a couple of my friends) think it's a bootleg - Universal has nothing to do with JTO, as far as I know.

They're distributing the DVD version, just like Netflix distributes the digital version. Warner Bros is in charge of Lego DVDs for the most part these days, but in 2009 - 11 or so it was Universal, and they seem to have held on to the vestiges of that contract. See their re-release of Clutch Powers last year or their re-release of (surprise!) The Legend Reborn this year.

Them publishing something they didn't originally publish is new, but there's no reason to think it's a bootleg - unless the bootleggers have access to Universal's library of TLR material and also cared enough to make their packaging look authentic and even use the Universal logo.

19 hours ago, Tazakk said:

It reeks of "nobody wanted this, but it's some weird contractual obligation. let's get this over with and pretend it never existed"

An understandable reaction to Journey to One, I'd think.

On 10 October 2016 at 10:36 AM, Onepu the Protector said:

Is it bad that I feel legitimately insulted because of this? I mean I know Bionicle's on the backburner for a while but in the name of all that is Mata Nui what is that? I'm not sure if it's a testament to the legacy of G1 or an analogy for the sheer lack of source material from G2. Or just laziness. 

On 10/10/2016 at 11:36 AM, Onepu the Protector said:

I wanted to post this since like early september, but I didn't even bother... the thing has been circulating for quite some time on 4chan.

What can I say, just another proof of how little did the higher ups care about BIONICLE G2. Yeah I know it's Universal and not LEGO here, but I think the latter had (or should have had) the last word on the matter. They could have even used pictures of Terminator for what it's worth, and the fact they went away with this is just saddening and embarrassing.

Day by day I think they shouldn't even have brought back BIONICLE. To give the line such a tragic, abrupt ending... I said it once and I'm saying it again, BIONICLE passed from being the theme that saved LEGO and lasted ten years to one of the few themes that couldn't even fulfill their planned lifespan.

In any case it really serves as a bit of a disconnect in terms of who cares about what. It's clear the designers put a lot of passion into the sets and worked with what they had, giving us some interesting sets and a glorious return to functionality, even if it did sacrifice aesthetics in some places (Skull Scorpio). Marketing and general management of the theme however did not seem to share the same level of passion. A lot of what the theme boiled down to was "too little too late" in regards aesthetic changes in the uniters, basic story elements revealed after nearly a year, etc.

Again I have to repeat that the DVD is absurdly made, and completely contradicts the goodwill demonstrated by the Makuta contest, used to give a final hurrah to the series. It literally looks like it was made in 15 minutes and insults the intelligence of the fanbase. It uses different parts of Bionicle stock, like assets from the Phantoka background to entire characters from the Glatorian era, as if to say they couldn't find anything else.

I'm aware this is long and sounds bitter but as is constantly reiterated the timing of these incidents is awful, especially considering G2's cancellation. Even the most forgiving of fans is bound to get cheesed off at some point.

10 hours ago, MakutaDreadscythe said:

In any case it really serves as a bit of a disconnect in terms of who cares about what. It's clear the designers put a lot of passion into the sets and worked with what they had, giving us some interesting sets and a glorious return to functionality, even if it did sacrifice aesthetics in some places (Skull Scorpio). Marketing and general management of the theme however did not seem to share the same level of passion. A lot of what the theme boiled down to was "too little too late" in regards aesthetic changes in the uniters, basic story elements revealed after nearly a year, etc.

Again I have to repeat that the DVD is absurdly made, and completely contradicts the goodwill demonstrated by the Makuta contest, used to give a final hurrah to the series. It literally looks like it was made in 15 minutes and insults the intelligence of the fanbase. It uses different parts of Bionicle stock, like assets from the Phantoka background to entire characters from the Glatorian era, as if to say they couldn't find anything else.

I'm aware this is long and sounds bitter but as is constantly reiterated the timing of these incidents is awful, especially considering G2's cancellation. Even the most forgiving of fans is bound to get cheesed off at some point.

And you know what's the saddest part of this story? Nobody cares about all of this. Or at least, almost nobody.

BZPower, EuroBricks, the TTV boards, even freaking 4chan... every place that used to discuss BIONICLE and managed to do it a little bit more during G2 is now being slowly abandoned. The older fanbase is gradually disappearing and I don't see many kids joining us after such a short and unfortunate reboot. The fanbase got mad at the end of July, when the rumor of discontinuation became an official statement by LEGO itself, but it didn't last long. And not just because G2 lasted two years, but mostly because there's less of us day by day. And LEGO made things even worse with terrible business decisions (I'm talking about the higher ups, I'm perfectly aware of the efforts made by designers and authors), tarnishing BIONICLE's reputation.

I feel like I should quit myself this place, but for the sole reason it makes me sadder everytime I come back here.

Edited by TwistLaw