VBBN

Bionicle 2016 Story Discussion & Rumors

That awesome artwork from Tomycase (one of my favourite artists, btw) is the scientific evidence that G1 is objectively superior to G2 in at least one aspect: style of the comics.

I'll never be tired of saying that they did an awful job in that departement, something I fail to understand especially since last year we got animations in a very nice style that could be recycled without problems.

Animations that, y'know, WERE recycled for the box comic styles? Although if you're implying those are better than the graphic novels, I don't really know what to say, other than that's totally not how you use the word "objective".

Just read Escape From The Underworld. do not click if you do not want spoilers. I mean it. fa realz n stuff

Ive started reading Escape From The Underworld,

and as it turns out, kulta is the leader of a group of Pirates Known as the "Skull Raiders".

Kulta and the skull raiders were driven to the mountains,

and when the cataclysm occurred they were trapped under-ground ,

and have since constructed an expansive underground city.

(Complete with a gladiator arena) they also have a major disdain for Ekimu because they belive that he was the one responsible for the cataclysm, and have a statue of him that they routinely spit upon.

Edited by Traykar the swift

Animations that, y'know, WERE recycled for the box comic styles? Although if you're implying those are better than the graphic novels, I don't really know what to say, other than that's totally not how you use the word "objective".

I keep on forgetting that this time around we didn't get comics but graphic novels, my bad. You know I was talking about them, just like you know that on the internet the word "objective" has no meaning and thousands at the same time. In this particular case I just thought that the visual style wasn't faitfhul to the toys neither a well executed compromise like in the animations were.

The custom lower legs of the beasts look very different in the animations… far superior of course. Also, in the final shot of the teaser you can see the back of UtD. I wish the set had that many crystal pieces to serve as proper back armor, just like in the animation.

In some shots I just don't like how Umarak looks here. Just looks to messy with all the crystal's coming out of him. Although there are hints in there that probably play into the story. Overall though I feel "meh" towards this.

UtD appears to be holding a mask near the end of the trailer. Black and glowing purple. Wonder if that's the MoUP. Kinda hope so. Really want to know what it looks like.

Also, awesome shot with him staring down Pohatu. Can't wait for these episodes!

Wow that was pretty cool. The beasts and UtD all look awesome and that's totally the MoUP in his hand at the end! I can't really tell what he's holding in the clip right before that, it just looks like a jagged sliver of gold at that angle. It looks to me like he's summoning Makuta at the end.

That awesome artwork from Tomycase (one of my favourite artists, btw) is the scientific evidence that G1 is objectively superior to G2 in at least one aspect: style of the comics.

I'll never be tired of saying that they did an awful job in that departement, something I fail to understand especially since last year we got animations in a very nice style that could be recycled without problems.

The style of this Lava Beast art is great, but it doesn't feel that much different to me than the style used on the covers of the G2 graphic novels to me. The biggest difference I see is that it's more accurate to the sets (with the armor shapes less stylized), and if you would've preferred the webisodes' style then accuracy to the sets can't be your concern…

I will admit that some pages of the new graphic novels look REALLY rough. But many other pages look really great, as good as on the covers or better! And it's not as if the G1 comics never had bizarre art goofs. Just look at Pohatu's mask in the very last panel of issue 1, or how Kopaka's head seems to have shrunk in the same panel. Or Tahu's uncomfortable-looking hunch on page 6 of issue 3, or his mouth and nose on page 8. G1 had some great comics, but if we're only comparing the worst of G2's graphic novel pages (like "Gathering of the Toa", page 8) with the best of G1's comic pages (like the last page of 2003's "Bionicle" Issue 12) then of course G1's going to look better. If you made the same comparison the other way around (like with "Battle of the Mask Makers" page 37 versus the final page of 2007's "Bionicle: Ignition" issue 11) it'd be exactly the opposite.

Edited by Aanchir

Wow that was pretty cool. The beasts and UtD all look awesome and that's totally the MoUP in his hand at the end! I can't really tell what he's holding in the clip right before that, it just looks like a jagged sliver of gold at that angle. It looks to me like he's summoning Makuta at the end.

My guess is it's a mask fragment or something like that (maybe the lower half of the Vahi?). And from what I can gather of the storyboards preview, Umarak's trying to open a portal to another world.

Kinda surprised no one tried to restart the "G2 and G1 are connected" theory from that piece of info yet. Guess everyone jumped out of that train already...

Edited by The Outsider

Kinda surprised no one tried to restart the "G2 and G1 are connected" theory from that piece of info yet. Guess everyone jumped out of that train already...

Hopefully because it's been done to death and no one wants to revisit that discussion.

We'll talk about it if/when it becomes relevant.

Anywho, I'm also curious as to the gold fragment. When are the episodes coming? August?

Hopefully because it's been done to death and no one wants to revisit that discussion.

We'll talk about it if/when it becomes relevant.

Anywho, I'm also curious as to the gold fragment. When are the episodes coming? August?

July 29th, it says on the poster. So, close to August lol.

Gotta say, I'm actually getting pretty excited for these episodes. Looks like it's going to be pretty great.

I also hope they continue into next year as well.

Man these upcoming episodes really seem to be raising the stakes. Seems like the beasts will be a real annoyance to the toa.

I like that they ALSO call them the "Elemental Beasts", makes for a nice duality with the Elemental Creatures.

That said... which one is it? =P

Man, why does Ekimu even need to transform? Little Ekimu is a total BAMF anyway =P

The Mask of Ultimate Power kinda looks like Witch Doctor's mask mixed with Breez's helmet lol.

The MoUP looks a lot creepier and demonic looking than what I was expecting. Either way I like the design, and hope we get a psychical copy of the mask next year.

The Mask of Ultimate Power kinda looks like Witch Doctor's mask mixed with Breez's helmet lol.

Aw heck, I knew it looked familiar. I'm pretty sure that's exactly what's going on - the crest is from this Mask of Creation prototype, which is like the only other part of the mask.

So I guess they just mixed up a couple of masks for it, which says to me that it is almost certainly a placeholder they made up to fill the masks's space in the series before it is properly finished/revealed for next year. Kind of like the lower Vahi in the graphic novel, I guess.