VBBN

Bionicle 2016 Story Discussion & Rumors

Read the first chapter on your other topic, and it's very intriguing. And the chapters, too. Underground City? Gali's Challenge? I wonder what that's all about.

I doubt I'll get the book. Only got the first one and never finished it. But I will say, this sounds like it'll be a good one.

I recently read something interesting on the internet...

The existence of a BIONICLE magazine in Europe may actually be one of the many signs the line is not doing well. The graphic novel may have sold so bad they needed a way to make it profitable, and that way we got the magazine. A magazine that, by the way, is enjoying a limited distribution as noted on a TTV thread.

I recently read something interesting on the internet...

The existence of a BIONICLE magazine in Europe may actually be one of the many signs the line is not doing well. The graphic novel may have sold so bad they needed a way to make it profitable, and that way we got the magazine. A magazine that, by the way, is enjoying a limited distribution as noted on a TTV thread.

I don't think that makes much sense. I'm not in the publishing industry, but doubling down and republishing a less successful book in a new form would seem to me to be a much riskier move than just cutting their losses and not publishing any further graphic novels (as they ended up doing in both G1 and G2), especially if it were for a theme that were failing across the board. It seems to me that the magazine's existence says more about the theme still enjoying some not-inconsequential popularity in Europe than it does about its lower success elsewhere.

Edited by Lyichir

I don't think that makes much sense. I'm not in the publishing industry, but doubling down and republishing a less successful book in a new form would seem to me to be a much riskier move than just cutting their losses and not publishing any further graphic novels

Not exactly. The comic material already exists, they paid for it to be made and they published it without getting a relevant revenue. What do they do, then? They split the material they already own in various issues of a magazine sold in the area it may be the most profitable, that is Europe of course. A magazine which contains very little work outside the comics itself (and that's a fact, on TTV it was examined carefully and the articles were substancially copypasted from the website). So we get a BIONICLE magazine, LEGO makes a little more money with stuff that didn't really pay itself and everybody's happy.

Not exactly. The comic material already exists, they paid for it to be made and they published it without getting a relevant revenue. What do they do, then? They split the material they already own in various issues of a magazine sold in the area it may be the most profitable, that is Europe of course. A magazine which contains very little work outside the comics itself (and that's a fact, on TTV it was examined carefully and the articles were substancially copypasted from the website). So we get a BIONICLE magazine, LEGO makes a little more money with stuff that didn't really pay itself and everybody's happy.

Well considering that the magazine's have little polybag like sets included with them I don't see how they are a way of showing that Bionicle is doing terrible. In fact I would assume that it'd be doing great in Germany. Russia also got two exclusive polybags probably because its probably very popular there. I'm just failing to see how releasing those magazines means the graphic novel's sold badly. I mean this magazine is released in Germany right? Did Germany even get the graphic novels?

Well considering that the magazine's have little polybag like sets included with them I don't see how they are a way of showing that Bionicle is doing terrible. In fact I would assume that it'd be doing great in Germany. Russia also got two exclusive polybags probably because its probably very popular there. I'm just failing to see how releasing those magazines means the graphic novel's sold badly. I mean this magazine is released in Germany right? Did Germany even get the graphic novels?

The magazine is released in Europe, and we didn't get the novel nor the books. That's another problem I've ALWAYS had with LEGO and how they handled BIONICLE's story material, but that's fuel for another rant.

Maybe, since the novel didn't sell well in the USA, they decided to sell it to the europeans using another stratagem. A sort of trade off: you get the novel in a single shot, and you get the novel paying ten times its price but with cheap gadgets included in every issue.

As I said, it's a win-win condition.

I just checked and the hardcover of "Gathering of the Toa" costs 7.99$. Since the magazine will be sold at 5.99$, and it's confirmed to have at least two issues, LEGO did the math.

The magazine is released in Europe, and we didn't get the novel nor the books.

We will, though. At least, France will.

Figures they'd call it a "second season". Netflix's organization bugs me sometimes. Oooooh well. Good stuff!

So the third and fourth episode are called season two? So I guess all those people worried if Journey To One would get more than one season don't have to be worried anymore. It is strange they call it season two though considering that it'll be two episodes.

Who knows maybe there will be a bonus third episode as an epilogue. None of us expected there to be a Prologue so an Epilogue is possible

So the third and fourth episode are called season two? So I guess all those people worried if Journey To One would get more than one season don't have to be worried anymore. It is strange they call it season two though considering that it'll be two episodes.

It's mostly to make it consistent with Netflix's release terminology. Technically, at least according to Netflix, these are episodes 4 and 5, because the prologue was 1. And since it was released AFTER the first episodes, they can't be part of the same season, since Netflix releases all episodes of a season at once. Screwey internal logic, but hey.

9XOGMSO.jpg

The magazine came out today in Italy. Yay!

(it doesn't allow me to resize the image, pls help me)

Edited by TwistLaw

That little polybag is so adorable. Is there a set number on it anywhere?

Nope. I think this will have some sort of influence on its secondary market value.

Sorry for double post, but I bring bad news: the next issue of the BIONICLE magazine is gonna be the last, at least in Italy.

S9w2yCc.png

It says "in october discover the LAST special issue of the BIONICLE magazine".

Well, it was something. Ridiculously overpriced, but still something.

Neat! I wonder if we're going to get Ekimu's Falcon too!

ninja'd

Eh, not too surprised that it's the last one. If they were going to do a third (for the second graphic novel), they'd have to do a fourth since that's how they split them up, and four polybags seems pushing it, especially for BIONICLE.

Eh, not too surprised that it's the last one. If they were going to do a third (for the second graphic novel), they'd have to do a fourth since that's how they split them up, and four polybags seems pushing it, especially for BIONICLE.

The magazine packs aren't part of the normal polybag count for any theme. In fact, a lot of the other magazines (Ninjago, Star Wars, Friends, Nexo Knights, and previously Legends of Chima) have been monthly, in other words, getting TWELVE magazines (and consequently, twelve magazine gifts) per year. And most these themes also get four or more other polybag sets per year, so there's clearly no "polybag limit" holding them back. The number of magazine gifts is based on the number of magazines, not the other way around.

However, two magazines a year isn't that unusual either. That's what the Elves theme gets, and I didn't expect much more than that with Bionicle. So the only disappointing thing is that this presumably means it's not getting new issues in 2017, at least in Italy.

The magazine packs aren't part of the normal polybag count for any theme. In fact, a lot of the other magazines (Ninjago, Star Wars, Friends, Nexo Knights, and previously Legends of Chima) have been monthly, in other words, getting TWELVE magazines (and consequently, twelve magazine gifts) per year. And most these themes also get four or more other polybag sets per year, so there's clearly no "polybag limit" holding them back. The number of magazine gifts is based on the number of magazines, not the other way around.

However, two magazines a year isn't that unusual either. That's what the Elves theme gets, and I didn't expect much more than that with Bionicle. So the only disappointing thing is that this presumably means it's not getting new issues in 2017, at least in Italy.

But if you think about it, why isn't there going to be any new magazines in Italy? Well' I've found two simple reasons. The happier reason (not in Italy though) is simply LEGO isn't shipping the magazines to Italy. (Why???) The sadly sadder reason is because Bionicle is finishing in 2017. (NOOOO) Not too suprising, but sad.

Edited by Anthony12901