VBBN

Bionicle 2016 Story Discussion & Rumors

So I found this Tumblr post about the most common complaints with G2 & I thought it raised some interesting points about how G1 & G2 engaged the audience, so I'll post it here.

http://herora-nui.tumblr.com/post/145520071884/lego-doesnt-care-about-lore

As much as I enjoy G2 for it's willingness to go a little bonkers with it's design and functions I feel discussion over the story is worth mentioning as it sort of goes into why G2 seems to be less successful than the early days of G1.

Personally the lack of substance is why I feel it hasn't been a big hit. G1 for all it's confusing side-stories and unanswered questions at least gave substance to characters where necessary, particularly the Heroes who are the main selling point. I don't feel the story should be complex but the world should be fleshed out enough that we care what happens in it. Even Hero Factory understood this to some degree.

Well personally they should have had more episodes on Netflix. The only two toa that we really know their personalities about are Lewa and Pohatu. The rest of the toa we only get bionicle.com descriptions or small glimpses in JtO. In the next two episodes, I find it'd be difficult to expand the characters of Onua, Tahu, Kopaka, Gali, and Ekimu. Hopefully JtO did well enough to warrant more from it. In 2017 I really hope they give the show more episodes.

The animations were really bad in comparison to the old Bionicle flash animations such as the MNOG cutscenes or the Bohrok Flash animations. They were designed to captivate an audience, with a good soundtrack, fluid animation & most important of all, interesting characters. The characters felt alive because they were all so interesting & the audience could connect with them. Who doesn't love the Chronicler's Company, Takua or Kongu to name a few characters? With the animations, the Toa weren't able to show off their personality traits or do anything that makes the audience like them. I also have to mention how everyone on BZPower laughed at Lewa losing his mask in one of the animations. If a moment that is meant to harm the character is treated like a joke, then that is a bad sign.

I don't think making more episodes is going to save the show if it continues to display little to no development for the Toa, villagers or even Umarak.

The animations were really bad in comparison to the old Bionicle flash animations such as the MNOG cutscenes or the Bohrok Flash animations. They were designed to captivate an audience, with a good soundtrack, fluid animation & most important of all, interesting characters. The characters felt alive because they were all so interesting & the audience could connect with them. Who doesn't love the Chronicler's Company, Takua or Kongu to name a few characters? With the animations, the Toa weren't able to show off their personality traits or do anything that makes the audience like them. I also have to mention how everyone on BZPower laughed at Lewa losing his mask in one of the animations. If a moment that is meant to harm the character is treated like a joke, then that is a bad sign.

I don't think making more episodes is going to save the show if it continues to display little to no development for the Toa, villagers or even Umarak.

As someone who holds the old Flash content in the highest of esteem, I think you're being a little too harsh on the new animations. It's true that they aren't up to the storytelling caliber of MNOG, but they're also from a very different time in LEGO's history. I'm not sure something like MNOG could really exist today. But for what they had to work with (incredibly short 1:30 runtimes), the 2015 animations did a good job of establishing the Toa as characters and squeezing in some fun interactions between them. Certainly, I feel like I know the Toa of the webisodes better than the Toa of Journey to One.

As for Lewa losing his mask, I don't see what is so problematic about that. Its a joke that plays on our familiarity with the character. We laugh because we know Lewa, and think that this is just the sort of situation he would find himself in. It doesn't feel too different to me from when Taipu is abducted by Nui-Rama, which is an abrupt reversal of his enthusiasm and wonder for the world around him. He's a little naive and it gets him into trouble - yep, that's Taipu.

As much as I enjoy G2 for its willingness to go a little bonkers with its design and functions I feel discussion over the story is worth mentioning as it sort of goes into why G2 seems to be less successful than the early days of G1.

Personally, the lack of substance is why I feel it hasn't been a big hit. G1 for all it's confusing side-stories and unanswered questions at least gave substance to characters where necessary, particularly the Heroes who are the main selling point. I don't feel the story should be complex but the world should be fleshed out enough that we care what happens in it. Even Hero Factory understood this to some degree.

the story was the foundation of the entire advertising campaign during G1's run. not only did it produce entertainment to get the customer hyped for the next product but they produced very viral or at least permeating memes that kept the product in your mind for the longest time, the main goal of any ad.

they were using slogans and symbolism and show-don't-tell storytelling that put forth a lot of intriguing information in little time with (seemingly) little effort. they weren't pitching an action toy they were telling the legend of 6 heroes who wield the elements to fulfill their destiny in defeating a great evil. they had to find the power and you can live the legend. six heroes one destiny. and all other terms that told me this is an epic and intriguing tale I wanna follow.

and as the Tumblr post said it was all freely accessible. not only the free online content that engaged but the very ads themselves put forth narrative. little films that showcased the exploits of characters in this ever expanding world. you weren't seeing kids working the gear functions of action figures you saw heroes demonstrating the abilities of these elemental champions. you did not see someone activating the action gimmicks of these unwieldy contraptions you saw the very danger these great beasts pose to the world and why the heroes must fight them. hell, you didn't see the second wave of canister sets showing off the latest bell and whistle compared to last year's line you saw a brand new intimidating foe that was nothing like the heroes encountered before.

they were introducing the character while they introduced their product so you have a reason to buy the product. if I make sense.

I got none of that with G2's ads. I had no idea what a skull spider was outside of it being a monster of the week like any other action show and that it gets stopped by some superhero people no different from the power rangers or another action team. and I don't know who skull grinder is outside of a scary big bad who wants to steal a MacGuffin no different from the hunter guy that came out the year after. too devoid of content for me to keep in mind and too generic to remember as its own thing.

they had transmedia storytelling down pat back when the internet just hit the mainstream so I can't fathom how they don't use the same techniques in the age of social media. they had hashtags before twitter in the form of those slogans and any "confusing" terminology could be remedied with a google search that brings you to the official site!

and I realized whatever techniques I wanted the Bionicle campaign to use was used for nexo knights.

Personally a longer show would help keep the characters more memorable I feel. Its really commercials and advertising that I feel is hurting the line. If LEGO promoted Bionicle like they do Nexo Knights or Chima then it would probably be a success. Oh wait its not a system theme so it gets thrown to the curb and gets minimal attention.

the story was the foundation of the entire advertising campaign during G1's run. not only did it produce entertainment to get the customer hyped for the next product but they produced very viral or at least permeating memes that kept the product in your mind for the longest time, the main goal of any ad.

they were using slogans and symbolism and show-don't-tell storytelling that put forth a lot of intriguing information in little time with (seemingly) little effort. they weren't pitching an action toy they were telling the legend of 6 heroes who wield the elements to fulfill their destiny in defeating a great evil. they had to find the power and you can live the legend. six heroes one destiny. and all other terms that told me this is an epic and intriguing tale I wanna follow.

and as the Tumblr post said it was all freely accessible. not only the free online content that engaged but the very ads themselves put forth narrative. little films that showcased the exploits of characters in this ever expanding world. you weren't seeing kids working the gear functions of action figures you saw heroes demonstrating the abilities of these elemental champions. you did not see someone activating the action gimmicks of these unwieldy contraptions you saw the very danger these great beasts pose to the world and why the heroes must fight them. hell, you didn't see the second wave of canister sets showing off the latest bell and whistle compared to last year's line you saw a brand new intimidating foe that was nothing like the heroes encountered before.

they were introducing the character while they introduced their product so you have a reason to buy the product. if I make sense.

I got none of that with G2's ads. I had no idea what a skull spider was outside of it being a monster of the week like any other action show and that it gets stopped by some superhero people no different from the power rangers or another action team. and I don't know who skull grinder is outside of a scary big bad who wants to steal a MacGuffin no different from the hunter guy that came out the year after. too devoid of content for me to keep in mind and too generic to remember as its own thing.

they had transmedia storytelling down pat back when the internet just hit the mainstream so I can't fathom how they don't use the same techniques in the age of social media. they had hashtags before twitter in the form of those slogans and any "confusing" terminology could be remedied with a google search that brings you to the official site!

and I realized whatever techniques I wanted the Bionicle campaign to use was used for nexo knights.

I have to agree. I feel like the story is what is severely lacking in G2 and the way they have gone about presenting it. G1 definitely had the right idea in how it was presented and they should have taken more cues from that. The advertising for G2 has been dreadful quite frankly. What little of it exists that is. They did not do a good job of understanding and encapsulating what made Bionicle a success in the first place and it is to the detriment of the line. While the sets are great, there is almost no substance to who the characters are and what the world is about giving us little reason to become invested or care. I feel like they really could have done a more in depth, streamlined story that didn't get needlessly over-complicated but instead they went with the bare bones approach. What we have is serviceable but it's just that, serviceable. With G1, you could see and feel the passion of the creators in every story tidbit and every animation and commercial, this time around the only passion we see is from the sets themselves and their design. The webpage has no heart, no passion, the animations do not have that same drive and sense of mystery or heart. It has all just felt very systematic and churned out. TJtO was the first instance that I felt some little spark of what G1 was, a small sense of mystery and heart in the story that unfolds in a mystical land. It was far from perfect but it was a step in the right direction. I'm just worried that it was too little too late. That being said I am doing my best to enjoy what we have and focus on how great the sets themselves are. I do hope Bionicle extends past 2017, as unlikely as it may seem to most. Until we have more info on the line's success we have no real way of knowing how well it's doing aside from guesses and assumptions.

I agree, sets are fantastic in my opinion, retaining a mix of functionality and articulation while still looking good for the most part. Issue is there's no real advertising and the story is bare bones. I've said it before, I'm glad they scrapped the overly complicated vortex that was the later years of G1, but you need some substance to keep people interested, especially kids. What I find interesting is that they take the original G1 approach or something similar with other themes like Nexo Knights, Ninjago and Chima, yet not with Constraction as a whole, which is a little disheartening.

Something I find really troubling is the severe lack of presence the line has, which extends into the lore and MAIN story, which is dangerous. I didn't even realise they'd introduced the Mask of Time in G2 until it was mentioned in a random YouTube podcast. I think that's a pretty important detail to miss considering their main source of story is JtO.

I agree, sets are fantastic in my opinion, retaining a mix of functionality and articulation while still looking good for the most part. Issue is there's no real advertising and the story is bare bones. I've said it before, I'm glad they scrapped the overly complicated vortex that was the later years of G1, but you need some substance to keep people interested, especially kids.

Agreed. It was a smart move to reboot the line and scrap the overly complex story telling. It has been 6 years since G1 ended and I don't think I have all of its story figured out since it is so darn complex once you learn about the serials and what not.

However G2 is almost far to simplistic. Yeah we have got some good moments every now and then, but the main story devices are rather dull and straight forward. JtO might have given us great set pieces and cool visuals, but it didn't give a compelling story or great characterization.

Lego needs a balance; a story that has depth and meaning to it; yet one that is also simple and easy to follow. G1 had a strong plot motivator, the secret robot buried underneath the island that drove the writing forward. I just don't feel G2 has more to it than "fight villain of the week" style story telling.

I actually love the over-complexity of G1's story. I kinda skipped over the stuff that was getting too vague when I was a kid but right now I'm stunned every time I discover something new of G1 (which also explains why G1 collapsed under itself in the end, me as a kid and many others couldn't follow everything that easily anymore. I'm just saying I really enjoy the complexity right now). Everything about G2's story and formula has been said before here. It is too simplistic. I kinda liked JtO, but it didn't really leave a great impression behind.

I agree with the 'villain of the week' type of storytelling, it is a little weak. Maybe they still have some surprises left near the end of the toy line, whenever that will be (that don't have anything to do with a giant robot of course). While G1 started a little more complicated, both that and G2's first years were basically six heroes on adventure on an exotic island. G2 could still grow. It might be a little too late to invest in it though, as again the marketing is almost non-existent.

Really diggin' Umarak's pose in the first panel.

Kinda sad to see no preview for next year like how the Mask of Control game gave us a sneak peak of Umarak the Destroyer. Guess it's still a little early for 2017 stuff, though.

Personally a longer show would help keep the characters more memorable I feel. Its really commercials and advertising that I feel is hurting the line. If LEGO promoted Bionicle like they do Nexo Knights or Chima then it would probably be a success. Oh wait its not a system theme so it gets thrown to the curb and gets minimal attention.

Here's the thing — it's not going to get more attention unless it earns it. Throwing money at a theme's marketing team doesn't magically make it more successful. If a theme is selling well, then it and any of its successors will get a larger budget the next time around. But if not, then it's going to get a smaller budget the next time around. LEGO didn't start making full TV shows like Ninjago or Nexo Knights or Chima without any kind of precedent. Nexo Knights got a TV show because Chima had been successful with one. Chima got one because Ninjago had been successful with one. Ninjago didn't even start off with a TV show — it started with a 44-minute special, which it only got because Atlantis had gotten a 22-minute special, which it only got because Power Miners had a series of mini-movies! All these ad campaigns were successful, so each subsequent theme was gradually expanded.

Bionicle hasn't been like that, though. Even in G1 its direct-to-DVD movies weren't successful enough to justify more than three consecutive years of them. The 2009 movie likewise underperformed. When Bionicle ended, its successor, Hero Factory, started with a four-part miniseries. But since it wasn't all that successful, it was followed by just three episodes the next year, then two, then one, and then finally one that was released exclusively on the web. So when Bionicle came back, it would have been a reckless and irrational gamble to give it a full TV series or movie! Instead, LEGO re-evaluated what had made it successful in the first place and decided to go with eighteen 90-second web videos and six 30-second character videos. Which is still more animated content than the last year of Hero Factory had gotten. In fact, it's more animated content than Bionicle had gotten in 2002, the theme's most successful year! And now, it's getting a four-part Netflix series (five-part if you count the prologue). So it's growing — but it had to start small.

Something I find really troubling is the severe lack of presence the line has, which extends into the lore and MAIN story, which is dangerous. I didn't even realise they'd introduced the Mask of Time in G2 until it was mentioned in a random YouTube podcast. I think that's a pretty important detail to miss considering their main source of story is JtO.

The Mask of Time hasn't really been a considerable part of the main story yet, though. It's involved in the backstory, which we saw in the second graphic novel, and the Protectors use it at the very start of the 2015 story as a part of their ritual, but it isn't essential to know that to follow what's going on. It certainly hasn't played any role in the 2016 story.

Chances are it will appear more prominently when it becomes relevant to the Toa's journey, which I'm sure it will. Until then, it's more of an "expanded universe" detail. To make a Star Wars comparison, Jabba the Hutt didn't actually appear in the original edition of Star Wars: A New Hope, even though as the guy who put a hit out for Han Solo he was kind of significant. But once he finally overlapped with Luke Skywalker's journey in the third movie, THEN we got to see him in the movies proper.

Actually, even in Bionicle G1, we learned about the Mask of Time through blurbs long before it became relevant to the Toa's journey. However, as in G2, it was an important part of the backstory, as we found out later.

It's so funny to see the same people that condemned the doom and gloom people like me "promoted" months ago using the same arguments used by those pessimists.

By the way I have a couple of things to add to the topic when I get home.

Here's the thing — it's not going to get more attention unless it earns it. Throwing money at a theme's marketing team doesn't magically make it more successful. If a theme is selling well, then it and any of its successors will get a larger budget the next time around. But if not, then it's going to get a smaller budget the next time around. LEGO didn't start making full TV shows like Ninjago or Nexo Knights or Chima without any kind of precedent. Nexo Knights got a TV show because Chima had been successful with one. Chima got one because Ninjago had been successful with one. Ninjago didn't even start off with a TV show — it started with a 44-minute special, which it only got because Atlantis had gotten a 22-minute special, which it only got because Power Miners had a series of mini-movies! All these ad campaigns were successful, so each subsequent theme was gradually expanded.

Bionicle hasn't been like that, though. Even in G1 its direct-to-DVD movies weren't successful enough to justify more than three consecutive years of them. The 2009 movie likewise underperformed. When Bionicle ended, its successor, Hero Factory, started with a four-part miniseries. But since it wasn't all that successful, it was followed by just three episodes the next year, then two, then one, and then finally one that was released exclusively on the web. So when Bionicle came back, it would have been a reckless and irrational gamble to give it a full TV series or movie! Instead, LEGO re-evaluated what had made it successful in the first place and decided to go with eighteen 90-second web videos and six 30-second character videos. Which is still more animated content than the last year of Hero Factory had gotten. In fact, it's more animated content than Bionicle had gotten in 2002, the theme's most successful year! And now, it's getting a four-part Netflix series (five-part if you count the prologue). So it's growing — but it had to start small.

See I understand your point of how system shows have proven more successful than constraction ever has, but G2 really has like no advertising. The books and the like only really get promoted by the community. There is nowhere on the website that suggests that there even are books or graphic novels. So while I really understand where you are coming from it just seems like Bionicle a theme that once stood on top is now getting the shortest hand of the stick.

Also to that comic from above, if that is how the year ends then that is really disappointing.

Actually, even in Bionicle G1, we learned about the Mask of Time through blurbs long before it became relevant to the Toa's journey. However, as in G2, it was an important part of the backstory, as we found out later.

Not that it has any bearing on your point, but I wanted to mention that the only reason the Mask of Time had story blurbs from the beginning was because it would have had a story role in the cancelled PC game.

Also to that comic from above, if that is how the year ends then that is really disappointing.

Take the mask of his face; Umarak reverts to normal (or dies?) and then everybody lives happily ever after... Until 2017's plot starts. No real surprises there... I bet the Umarak Hunter mask with Ekimu is to be slapped on Umarak's face after the Mask of Control is removed.

And yeah I've derided the pessimism this year, but I have no qualm in commenting on what I see as errors in the story. Declaring a state of panic due to our perception of the line's success is one thing; adding constructive criticism without saying outright "it sucks" is another. Any critique directed towards the line should be well thought out and as factual as possible, especially seeing Lego probably has their own ways to monitor fan reaction; just saying "it sucks" might cause them to drastically change the line without truly knowing what we disliked about it. I'll call it the "Halo 4 to Halo 5" effect, a lot of fanboys criticized the story of Halo 4 for the sake of criticism, but the creators of the game listened to their critiques and made a far more inferior story in Halo 5 to try and appease fanboy demands without actually realizing what the fanboys truly disliked in the first place. I don't want Lego to take a similar route hearing nothing but "G2 Sucks" without knowing what we think was right about it, lest they actually make the line worse trying to appeal to our un-cohesive complaints.

Mind you I have typed out some strange opinions about the line before so maybe I am not the best one to judge what is a valid complaint about the line :laugh:

See I understand your point of how system shows have proven more successful than constraction ever has, but G2 really has like no advertising. The books and the like only really get promoted by the community. There is nowhere on the website that suggests that there even are books or graphic novels. So while I really understand where you are coming from it just seems like Bionicle a theme that once stood on top is now getting the shortest hand of the stick.

Did the official Bionicle website EVER really acknowledge the books and graphic novels? I don't remember it doing so. What's more, the Ninjago and Nexo Knights websites have never really acknowledged their books and graphic novels either, and it doesn't seem to be hurting them one bit.

LEGO does acknowledge SOME (not all) of their books, including Bionicle books, on their Lifestyle page. They're pretty inconsistent about it and bad at updating it, though. Take note that the first Bionicle graphic novel is the ONLY graphic novel listed there — none of the Ninjago or Friends graphic novels are even mentioned. The second Bionicle chapter book is listed, but not the first. You get the picture.

Edited by Aanchir

Ok, no. Bionicle isn't going to end with Umarak being defeated...it was guaranteed at least a third year. I would probably assume it would get one last wave if anything, but there is no way it is ending on that note. Aanchir is right about the marketing and money aspect too. You can't just assume something will do well because you generously funded its marketing, which is why I've never understood the arguments saying that the theme isn't doing well because of lack of marketing. Honestly, the theme, if it's not doing well, likely is not doing well because of a simple lack of interest by children in the theme.

What really sold me on Gen1, before I even got into the story (and before I could read, for that matter) was the sense of wonder it evoked. Now, it's been a decade-and-a-half since I was five, so I might not be the best judge of how Gen2 is doing in that regard, but I suspect that if it is failing to hook young consumers, that is where it is deficient.

Certainly, it seems to me that less has been made of Okoto, its splendors, and its mysteries than was made of the island of Mata Nui. This is not a matter of Tolkenesque detail, but rather of the sort of beauty and charm that draws one to Hobbiton and Lothlorien. Gen2 certainly has the potential for it, as evidenced by much of its box-art, but I'm not sure it's quite managed to actuate it.

Another potential pitfall is the comparative lack of novelty. Gen1 may have ended in 2010, but Hero Factory was singing from the same hymnbook aesthetically, even if the songs were different. One would be hard-pressed to mistake a BIONICLE for a Slizer or a Roborider, while most Hero Factory sets (IFB excepted) could pass as part of some species of BIONICLE (that Gen1 ran for so long rather compounds this problem.) Gen2 is still visually distinct from its predecessors, but the basic scheme of mechanical humanoid warriors has been in play almost nonstop since 2001, and many of the same CCBS parts have been in use since 2011 or 2012 (not that this is inherently a bad thing.)

Did the official Bionicle website EVER really acknowledge the books and graphic novels? I don't remember it doing so.

It did actually, in 2004. The year that was the height of book sales, for what it is worth.

Edited by Tazakk

Ok, no. Bionicle isn't going to end with Umarak being defeated...it was guaranteed at least a third year. I would probably assume it would get one last wave if anything, but there is no way it is ending on that note. Aanchir is right about the marketing and money aspect too. You can't just assume something will do well because you generously funded its marketing, which is why I've never understood the arguments saying that the theme isn't doing well because of lack of marketing. Honestly, the theme, if it's not doing well, likely is not doing well because of a simple lack of interest by children in the theme.

I would like to point out that we haven't been "guaranteed" anything. While I would love to see Bionicle to continue (and what we will or won't be getting in 2017 is still an open question), an initial three-year plan in no way a guarantee that the theme will in fact last that long. Just like how a theme can be extended if it proves to be successful, it could just as easily be ended prematurely if sales are truly abysmal. Nothing is set in stone.

It did actually, in 2004. The year that was the height of book sales, for what it is worth.

Also, weren't Gen1's books advertised in the catalogs? I know they were on shop.com, which doesn't seem to be the case for Gen2's.

Huh, interesting! I hardly remember this version of the site since I could never get the archived versions of the 2004 Bionicle website to work for me. Even now none of the links are taking me anywhere. If anybody can ever get a version of the site working where all the links work then I'd love to explore a bit and refresh my memory.

Also, weren't Gen1's books advertised in the catalogs? I know they were on shop.com, which doesn't seem to be the case for Gen2's.

Some of them. Like the Lifestyle page, they were inconsistent about it. I think they stopped doing that in 2006, though.

And again, that's not just something that changed for Bionicle. LEGO no longer really features ANY books in their catalogs on the online LEGO shop, or in LEGO brand stores. Maybe they just didn't sell enough through those channels to really justify stocking them.