VBBN

Bionicle 2016 Story Discussion & Rumors

It would not surprise me if there were some kind of connection. However, I do think the new details about the G2 Mask of Time being older than Okoto, the world, and the stars might make an alternate universe scenario more plausible than just a far-flung future scenario. After all, the origins of the G1 Mask of Time are pretty well established.

Consider: what if the Mask of Time has something to do with the origins of the G2 universe itself? What if either completing the mask or breaking it in two somehow reshaped reality, rewriting the G1 universe into a new universe with its own discrete history? Alternatively, what if just as the mask is broken in two, the G1 and G2 universes are themselves separate fragments of a larger reality, with only one half of each mask existing in each universe outside of legends?

Then again, I've also seen other theories that the "complete" Mask of Time might in fact itself be a form of Makuta's Mask of Ultimate Power, a theory which is not wholly outrageous. The Mask of Ultimate Power disappeared during the great cataclysm — what if instead of being flung through space it was flung through TIME, with one fragment planting itself in the early history of the universe and another materializing in the future? This theory would not necessarily invoke a G1 connection, which isn't to say it couldn't.

Overall, though, I think the idea of G2 being a straight continuation of G1 (i.e. a later point on the same timeline) still seems unlikely.

Then why are there hints of both generations being connected...?

Let me sum up:

- the Toa are said to be timeless heroes, coming from another time and space

- the Toa don't remember their past after their arrival to Okoto

- there is G1 Vahi appearing in literally every episode of 1st season of 2015 animations

- there is a Mask of Time in G2 that is said to be the upper half of a mask called Vahi

- G1 Vahi clearly looks like the bottom half of a mask

- out of all masks from G1, Vahi is the only one which name appears in the reboot, I wonder why, since the other masks are simply called, well, Masks?

Saying there is no connection between the two generations FOR SURE is simply ridiculous.

So...the Toa were create, trained by Hydraxon to save Mata Nui, they are on their way to Mata Nui, but get lost at Protodermis Sea for a thousand years, finally get to Mata Nui, remember nothing about themselves, battle Makuta and his minions to the bitter end.....then get teleported to a different dimension, getting their memory wiped again to save a different dimensional world? Yeah.....if that is truly the case, then overcomplication of a story is clearly lego's plan. No kid today will understand the references, and they will have to research a ton about the old G1 story which already is a lot of work...that does not sound like a good idea to me. That does not in any way sound ridiculous to me. In fact, the idea that the two are directly connected is more ridiculous than denying the connection between the two. The references are their to please older fans, I highly doubt that tese are directed to the kids watching animations.

If you establish the connection at the end of the run what it even matters if the explanation is overcomplicated?

If you establish the connection at the end of the run what it even matters if the explanation is overcomplicated?

Ok perhaps ive misunderstood what is meant by the two generations being connected. Can anyone clarify what this specifically means?

Then again, I've also seen other theories that the "complete" Mask of Time might in fact itself be a form of Makuta's Mask of Ultimate Power, a theory which is not wholly outrageous. The Mask of Ultimate Power disappeared during the great cataclysm — what if instead of being flung through space it was flung through TIME, with one fragment planting itself in the early history of the universe and another materializing in the future? This theory would not necessarily invoke a G1 connection, which isn't to say it couldn't.

If this is the case they didn't think it fully trough since MoUP controls, nature, it's elements and enchances users strength. This doesn't correlate in any way with seeing into future, other worlds or Vahi's original powers of slowing and speeding up time.

The G1 Vahi had no upper half though. What you saw is what you got and saying that it looks like a bottom half means nothing. 2015 Tahu's mask looks like he has chubby cheeks, but that doesn't mean the character actually has chubby cheeks. In the same way that G1 Vahi looked like a bottom half of a mask does not mean it actually a bottom half. It is clearly a nod to older fans of the original series, to remind us a bit of the older series. In the same way that Transformers or Power Rangers share names and even have nods to past iterations of themselves.

While yes the story does say that the Toa are timeless heroes, you could say that Mona Lisa is a timeless painting. Their origins are not known and they suffer from amnesia, does not mean that there is an immediate connection. It is just a simple nod yet again from the original series, with similar execution.

To say that there is a connection to me makes no sense when you start to consider ALL of the evidence. Though I am sure that this discussion will continue long after G2 ends next year on whether or not there is a connection.

Ok perhaps ive misunderstood what is meant by the two generations being connected. Can anyone clarify what this specifically means?

It's very easy. At the end of 2017 we find out that the Toa have been sent from another universe, the Vahi has something to with it and that a wise, mysterious being sent the Toa to Okoto. Credits start scrolling and BIONICLE goes silent until 2031.

Very simple, very clean and no super-complicated plothole from G1 needs to be explained in the process.

It's very easy. At the end of 2017 we find out that the Toa have been sent from another universe, the Vahi has something to with it and that a wise, mysterious being sent the Toa to Okoto. Credits start scrolling and BIONICLE goes silent until 2031.

Very simple, very clean and no super-complicated plothole from G1 needs to be explained in the process.

So i was right, this is a continuation generational connection....I highly doubt that is the case, but Im free to be proven wrong in 2017

Edited by lambda_cla3391

Exactly. I firmly believe that Lego could pull of a subtle and non-obtrusive "connection" between generations without compromising the integrity of G2's reboot, nor would they make it any less of a "reboot" by doing so. I also think there is absolutely zero chance that we would ever return to Spherus Magna to conclude any lingering plot threads. That's a ludicrous and implausible thing to hope for taking into account Lego's strategies regarding the storytelling of BIONICLE G2, nor do I think it's necessary in the least.

It's always perturbed me that, from the very moment the possibility of a generational "connection" was first brought up, many people were so vehemently against it. Many seemed to think that the people who were advocating such a theory were G1 zealots, or people who demanded that the loose plot threads from G1 should be resolved at any cost, even sacrificing the integrity of the new story to do so. That's not always the case. I think that, often times, people would benefit by opening their minds to the possibilities of what could happen in such a complex theme as BIONICLE, rather than solely constraining their hopes for the future to nothing but a completely independent and unconnected reboot or a deeply interconnected and complicated melding of the generations. It doesn't have to be so black and white.

Edited by Mesonak

I'm on the fence it could happen or it could not... But we do have fictional stories that are both reboots and continuation.

Love it or hate it 2009's Star Trek reboot was an example of this. The story is set in a new universe with new characters (or new versions of old characters) but there is a direct link between the two via a group of characters from the original story influencing events (most notably Leonard Nimoy's original Spock). Furthermore both stories shared a similar mythology and background.

So if Bionicle took this approach it would explain the Toa's origin (it would still be hard to explain Lewa's new jungle power that way...). It could explain the Vahi as an artifact of both dimensions. But ultimately it would still leave a blank state for the reboot. If this was the path taken, the reboot story could continue uninterrupted, just with the added info "the Toa are from another dimension."

The problem with a lot of fan theories I've seen is they want to link the reboot and G1 in such a way there is no point in calling it a reboot... I don't want Okoto to be on Spherus Magna with Velika in the guise of Ekimu and Vopharak running around with Vezon teleporting in and out. It doesn't make sense, and would be gratuitous fan service which would in the end destroy any purpose to both stories.

Even a connection as simple as that raises several questions. Why have the Toa's personalities changed? Why has Lewa's entire element changed? Sure, if that were the end of the theme, Lego would be under no obligation to explain those things—but I wouldn't call an ending that leaves loose ends like that "very clean". Ideally, the end should be one that ties up loose ends from G2, rather than creating brand-new ones.

Edited by Lyichir

http://www.toysrus.c...2255962.3696486

Some product info is out.

The beasts are splattered all over with the word "corruption" which should make it pretty clear that this isn't their original from.

Mask of creation is just "powered up"

Interesting. Apparently Lava Beast can fly? Also, Ekimu's description curiously doesn't even mention the Umarak mask it contains...

http://www.toysrus.c...2255962.3696486

Some product info is out.

The beasts are splattered all over with the word "corruption" which should make it pretty clear that this isn't their original from.

Mask of creation is just "powered up"

One of the pictures for the Umarak set includes the red Hunter mask that comes with Ekimu. This is probably a mistake, but interesting nonetheless.

One of the pictures for the Umarak set includes the red Hunter mask that comes with Ekimu. This is probably a mistake, but interesting nonetheless.

It's likely just a mistake, but I don't know how I feel of the fact that Storm Beast is being labelled as an exclusive and there is a complete absence of Quake Beast.

Edited by GK733

The new Beast sets have Masks of Corruption... any ideas on that? They're Okoto wildlife that's been mutated? Makuta has kept on doing what he did in life, making masks?

The new Beast sets have Masks of Corruption... any ideas on that? They're Okoto wildlife that's been mutated? Makuta has kept on doing what he did in life, making masks?

The "masks of corruption" could conceivably be regular masks (maybe masks originally worn by the wildlife, like the masks worn by the Creatures) that have been corrupted by Umarak the Destroyer's power. No telling, but considering Makuta has so far not been shown to even still occupy a body, I don't think he's been doing a lot of mask making.

I'd really like it if, when Makuta eventually adopts a body, he makes it out of a pile of old masks of his. It'd really be quite a funny touch to see the mask maker become the masks, and not in the usual way either..

Finally got the Second Graphic Novel today. Its really good in the fact that it explain the backstory of Makuta's intentions a lot better. He just wanted whats best for Okoto he just used the wrong methods.

Also someone did some art of a complete Mask of Time

https://i.sli.mg/TfW91v.jpg

Finally got the Second Graphic Novel today. Its really good in the fact that it explain the backstory of Makuta's intentions a lot better. He just wanted whats best for Okoto he just used the wrong methods.

Also someone did some art of a complete Mask of Time

https://i.sli.mg/TfW91v.jpg

That one on the left is perfect! I reeaally want a complete Vahi in the plastic just like that one. I'm glad to hear the graphic novel is awesome. Mine should be arriving tomorrow and I can't wait to check it out, long with my last set for this wave of Bionicle, Ketar, as I already have everyone else and I gotta say, I really like them all a lot. Way better than I thought for some of them.(I'm looking at you Pohatu)

So in JtO we see that Umarak can summon those clones/spawn/something. Maybe the beasts are just that power manifesting itself differently because of his mutation?

So in JtO we see that Umarak can summon those clones/spawn/something. Maybe the beasts are just that power manifesting itself differently because of his mutation?

So you mean to say that the beasts are mutated shadow traps???

So you mean to say that the beasts are mutated shadow traps???

No, I mean to say they're possibly the mutated spawn of Umarak we see in JtO. These guys:

24624779396_a514db5d15_b.jpg

Edited by Junior Shark