VBBN

Bionicle 2016 Story Discussion & Rumors

Somebody catch me, the hype is too strong. I'm curious as to how this Labyrinth came about. The MoCo imbedded in the architecture is fascinating if it's a final design choice. Which pegs the question; Who made this place? Makuta? Prior or after the MoUP? Oooooh I'm getting tingly.

Edited by MakutaOfWar

So far all of them have been rather cringeworthy. Hero Factory didn't had any (if not counting in Breakout in the end titles)

So I'm kinda betting on them having a small intro but using only the Mask of Control Theme. Not an actual theme song.

What's the Mask of Control theme?

Somebody catch me, the hype is too strong. I'm curious as to how this Labyrinth came about. The MoCo imbedded in the architecture is fascinating if it's a final design choice. Which pegs the question; Who made this place? Makuta? Prior or after the MoUP? Oooooh I'm getting tingly.

The Lego Bionicle website mentions the Creatures hiding the Mask of Control in the Labyrinth to keep Makuta away from it so perhaps it is possible the Creatures created it(?). The Creatures are the embodiments of the island's elements so I imagine they have the power to do such a thing.

I think it's possible that the place was built by somebody other than the Mask Makers or the creatures. We don't know exactly when the Mask Makers came about, or how they acquired their own masks (although I suppose they could have made them themselves =P), so whoever made them (and the Mask of Time) probably had a hand in naming these places.

Could very well be the beasts themselves too, of course.

That theme is really nice. I'm a sucker for dramatic theatrical music. It suits Bionicle well and I could definitely see this being the theme for the show. I really hope the game comes out in the US soon, it really kinda sucks. Edited by ToaDraco

For what it is worth, that also explicitly says season 1 will be available March 4. There may be more in the pipeline for summer/next year.

For what it is worth, that also explicitly says season 1 will be available March 4. There may be more in the pipeline for summer/next year.

It may be, sure, but it may also be that they split the four episodes into two two-episodes seasons.

Hhmm, I'm' intrigued. Hopefully we'll get a release date soon according to the facebook page. I like the sound of more seasons though.

Edited by ToaDraco

WIll it actually be premiering February 29th in the US?

Who knows? Not likely, because leap years, but we were only ever given a February release time; they could easily have projected end of February internally, and then have to push it back a weak for a simultaneous release or something.

As for the "season" thing, I suppose it almost always depends on the audience for the show. If they don't think it's worth doing another season, they won't, but that will be a discussion between Netflix and LEGO. They may have purchased another series ahead of time, but do we even know if this series is going to cover everything or not? Could easily be like the HF episodes, where everything gets covered at once.

So apparently this screenshot is from a new Mask of Control game trailer, which is available only for Canadian facebook users.

In other news I just found out that in 2008 they made a BIONICLE book in italian, named "Alla Ricerca Della Maschera Della Vita" (literally "searching for the mask of life"). I'm still astonished, especially since it was an exclusive for the italian market; to this day it's the only book about BIONICLE ever published here, and 2008 is for sure much later than the golden years the saga had even in my country. Whatever.

Now that I think about it, the USA (and Poland, to a lesser extent) is the only country that ever got a consistent story material throughout G1. And it's a shame, since the lore of G1 is really interesting besides the fault that are often pointed here. In general I still think to this day that the "convulted story" is really the last of the reasons tied to the decline of BIONICLE, while it being not anymore a novelty, having repetitive builds in its later years and leaving charming settings like Mata Nui and Metru Nui (and you can understand the charm of a year just by looking at the boxes and instructions) played a much larger role.

While I'm quite sure no story material will ever be translated in any other major language, at least mine, the Netflix series will do justice to the italian fans of BIONICLE.

In general I still think to this day that the "convulted story" is really the last of the reasons tied to the decline of BIONICLE

That's neat, but not what LEGO employees themselves, who have market research and analysis have said.

Who knows? Not likely, because leap years, but we were only ever given a February release time; they could easily have projected end of February internally, and then have to push it back a weak for a simultaneous release or something.

As for the "season" thing, I suppose it almost always depends on the audience for the show. If they don't think it's worth doing another season, they won't, but that will be a discussion between Netflix and LEGO. They may have purchased another series ahead of time, but do we even know if this series is going to cover everything or not? Could easily be like the HF episodes, where everything gets covered at once.

I hope that they don't take after the HF episodes, those things had absolute garbage pacing and they just left us with little to nothing else for the rest of the year. :sick:

That's neat, but not what LEGO employees themselves, who have market research and analysis have said.

Honest question, have you ever talked about the decline of BIONICLE with a european LEGO employee?

Honest question, have you ever talked about the decline of BIONICLE with a european LEGO employee?

I have. The answer generally remains the same.

In fact, considering most of the people who worked on Bionicle lived and worked in Denmark, I'm curious which non-European employees you'd even be able to talk with (authoritatively) about Bionicle and its decline. Greg Farshtey and Kelly McKiernan come to mind, but that's about it...

I have. The answer generally remains the same.

In fact, considering most of the people who worked on Bionicle lived and worked in Denmark, I'm curious which non-European employees you'd even be able to talk with (authoritatively) about Bionicle and its decline. Greg Farshtey and Kelly McKiernan come to mind, but that's about it...

I see.

I've always seen the story problem mostly an american one since, being european, we always had very little story material translated in our languages -or close to none, like in Italy's case-.

For us it had always been more or less "bad guys vs good guys", with the setting changing each year. I myself began to learn about the real deal in 2007, and I clearly remember that until 2006 I thought the Metru Nui arch was a sequel to the Mata Nui one (I got into BIONICLE in 2004). There was a website, indeed, but it didn't add much when we had no books, nor serials in later years. Besides during the early '00s the internet wasn't as widespread as in the States.

The only strong medium we had were movies, and they never got into too much details anyway.

Edited by TwistLaw