VBBN

Bionicle 2016 Story Discussion & Rumors

I really hope that the AFOLs who did this report didn't know their stuff and confused the story of the original run with the 2015 story, because, really, you can't go simpler than 2015 story.

That's...probably the most pathetic attempt at describing a theme we've ever gotten.

Hah, in Poland we have that one AFOL group which has descriptions for every Lego theme on their website, Bionicle's description was something among the lines of "a theme with weird robots that constantly fight which each other, uses pieces that don't fit anything else". One of the most pathetic descriptions I've ever seen.

This is beyond embarrassment.

Not only BIONICLE was the only theme without descriptions, but it was also reported to have a simpler storyline. Damn, let's enjoy these three years because day after day I'm more convinced they're the only ones.

Hah, in Poland we have that one AFOL group which has descriptions for every Lego theme on their website, Bionicle's description was something among the lines of "a theme with weird robots that constantly fight which each other, uses pieces that don't fit anything else". One of the most pathetic descriptions I've ever seen.

Same thing with Italian AFOLs. That's one of the many reasons I'm not able to like bricks, they remind me of those cocky elitists.

To be fair, we're one of the few themes to have leaked prelims. I wasn't expecting to learn much from London TF, but that tidbit on the Netflix series is nice!

Not really surprised. Constraction always gets the shaft.

Nuremburg toyfair's up next, right? And pics are allowed?

On the Netflix series, 4 22-minute episodes? I'd like to see them strung together as a movie. Roughly an hour and a half of material, that's not too bad!

Edited by Kalhiki

Same thing with Italian AFOLs. That's one of the many reasons I'm not able to like bricks, they remind me of those cocky elitists.

From what little I've seen of Italian AFOLs, can confirm. Bricks are the real deal, constraction is cancer that must eliminated at worst, and a cute little toyline for silly children at best. There's a reason I prefer staying in English speaking Lego communities.

I wouldn't be surprised if that site described 2015 given what little care constraction is given.

Edited by Shakar

Not really surprised. Constraction always gets the shaft.

Nuremburg toyfair's up next, right? And pics are allowed?

Meh, we'll just wave our leaked prelims in their faces.

Nuremberg is in two days. And yeah, most likely we'll get pics of non-licensed sets there, including Bionicle.

From what little I've seen of Italian AFOLs, can confirm. Bricks are the real deal, constraction is cancer that must eliminated at worst, and a cute little toyline for silly children at best. There's a reason I prefer staying in English speaking Lego communities.

I wouldn't be surprised if that site described 2015 given what little care constraction is given.

I'm glad we're seeing more and more constraction pieces seep into brick-based licensed and non-licensed themes. It'd be gold to find out what these "brick elitists" think. :tongue:

Considering how little detail they went into with Bionicle, I would take the "simpler story" bit with a heaping helping of salt. Even if they were told something along those lines, it may have been in comparison to the G1 story (which we all know was convoluted as hell even at its best) rather than in comparison to this year's story.

With passing wave and news article, it really does seem like Bionicle will end with its third year. It's a shame that a theme that I enjoyed so much for years, is getting shafted, and from how the U.S.A. version of lego.com had almost the entire winter wave at half price. Ugh, bioincle's glory days are ended with G1.

Edited by MrHerofan

Whoa, now, just because the pieces look different doesn't meant they're not lego. They are all made with the same components, on the inside. :D

Seriously, people still bitter about Constraction almost 17 years later?

Wow, it amazes me that he even bothered to write down something for Bionicle, even if its just "lel more simple storyline for kids, and netflix and stuff".

Edited by Dosenbrot

What's up with all the doom and gloom and people saying that BIONICLE is going to end after the third year? Are people jumping to conclusions again?

What's up with all the doom and gloom and people saying that BIONICLE is going to end after the third year? Are people jumping to conclusions again?

Always.

I'm 90% sure the Lego reps who gave this info to Brick Fanatics were referring to the entire reboot as a whole, and not just this year.

There's a reason I prefer staying in English speaking Lego communities.

Same here, bro.

LEGO in Italy isn't that popular to begin with, and those who are interested conceive it as a "highly sophisticated interlocking brick system" (yeah, I'm quoting that movie).Therefore anything that doesn't meet these criteria is rubbish. And sadly the fanbase here is so small that there's no room for constraction fans, or anything in between.

Back on topic, I'm sadly one of those who think next year is the last one.

SW sells like hotcakes, sets are constantly on clearance (except in Italy...) and in general the line did not have a noticeable echo. As soon as I'm done with my exams I'll go into details, as for now those are my two cents.

Well, I'm hoping that Brickset at least is more upbeat with their Bionicle information from the London Toy Fair... not least because I'm very good friends with one of their Toy Fair reporters and I actually persuaded him to pay some attention to Bionicle! :laugh: Whether or not the info he notes makes it into their report or just into a personal Skype chat between me and him remains to be seen though.

But still, despite that horrible one-sentence "description" from Brick Fanatics, it's nice to see that Bionicle is getting some decent length episodes this year. The downside is that I don't have Netflix :look:

I wonder why LEGO always has such weird and short episode amounts for their themes. I remember reading somewhere that the Netflix series was going to be 8 episodes long, though that might just have been wishful thinking.

Also, when are we gonna see some footage of that show, I'm really curious about it.

I wonder why LEGO always has such weird and short episode amounts for their themes. I remember reading somewhere that the Netflix series was going to be 8 episodes long, though that might just have been wishful thinking.

Also, when are we gonna see some footage of that show, I'm really curious about it.

It was always going to be 4 episodes long, that was confirmed quite some time ago I think.

Same here, bro.

LEGO in Italy isn't that popular to begin with, and those who are interested conceive it as a "highly sophisticated interlocking brick system" (yeah, I'm quoting that movie).Therefore anything that doesn't meet these criteria is rubbish. And sadly the fanbase here is so small that there's no room for constraction fans, or anything in between.

I'm starting to think that Italy in general breeds elitist fandoms due to our general culture/personality. Anime/manga fandoms likewise tend to be pretty terrible.

As for the report, I think it's Huw screwing things up as usual, because Bionicle is crap that doesn't deserve his time.

I dunno...from where I stand, it doesn't look like Bionicle will live past its third year. Cities in Canada that are not Toronto are not even getting the Bionicle 2016 sets.

Also, I can't believe that is actually what was being said about Bionicle....simpler story line? No way can a child not figure this story out. It's extremely simple.

Edited by lambda_cla3391

That isn't something that is exclusive to the Italian Lego community. When I went to my first Lego convention I was told I was a sucker for buying a giant bag of Bionicle parts and later heard someone saying that all constraction is 'close to Megablocks trash' and that I just didn't belong. It doesn't help that there are only three out of ~100 people who is into Constraction. I have mentioned many times before that Constraction is marginalized by the Lego community as a whole, and this shoddy reporting on it is yet another example.

That isn't something that is exclusive to the Italian Lego community. When I went to my first Lego convention I was told I was a sucker for buying a giant bag of Bionicle parts and later heard someone saying that all constraction is 'close to Megablocks trash' and that I just didn't belong. It doesn't help that there are only three out of ~100 people who is into Constraction. I have mentioned many times before that Constraction is marginalized by the Lego community as a whole, and this shoddy reporting on it is yet another example.

Reminds me of one of the first BrickFairs. At the door prizes the first night, Todd Webb, the organizer, commented on a Bionicle set (Tuma) being given away that it was "about as Lego as Lincoln Logs". For what it's worth, the Bionicle contingent took it in stride and the next day a Lincoln Logs playset was on display alongside the Bionicle MOCs. Cut to today, when Tuma's been immortalized as one of the sets Jesus is holding on the cheeky "What Would Jesus Build?" T-shirts at the merch booth. :tongue:

That's...probably the most pathetic attempt at describing a theme we've ever gotten.

Agree on both of this. I love both Constraction and System Lego sets, but the fan bases are sometimes can be awful like FNAF's fandom when talking about Constraction sets and theme like HF and Bionicle.