VBBN

Bionicle 2016 Story Discussion & Rumors

I hope the creatures work for Umarak instead. I ain't gonna be happy with that 12v1 release again so hopefully he's hunting the Toa.

Or, Umarak is a good guy (Axonn-like mysterious benevolent giant) and the creatures are Bohrok-like horde creatures awakend by the battles between the Toa and the Skull Warriors.

Umarak was called Mask Hunter in the very first list I saw, the one with the Ghost sets. It's on the second post of the 2016 sets topic. That one included Kopaka as a single set, but the rest of the list was in line with the second preliminary (?) one and the final one. That reminds me of that Summer 2012 HF list, which included sets called "Core Drainer" and "Stormer Lgd", along weird stuff like "Dynamo", "Flash Freeze" and new Heroes...a week or more (can't remember) before the real list was leaked. I wonder if those are preliminary lists or works of people who have the list but can't leak it so they tweak it a bit to throw us a bone. But I guess we'll never know the truth.

Melum is in a 2-in-1 set with Kopaka, and there's no "vs" in there, so I doubt the Creatures are going to be enemies with the Toa, at least not permanently.

Umarak has to be a villain, they'd never call a good guy "hunter", think of the marketing aspect.

Umarak was called Mask Hunter in the very first list I saw, the one with the Ghost sets. It's on the second post of the 2016 sets topic. That one included Kopaka as a single set, but the rest of the list was in line with the second preliminary (?) one and the final one. That reminds me of that Summer 2012 HF list, which included sets called "Core Drainer" and "Stormer Lgd", along weird stuff like "Dynamo", "Flash Freeze" and new Heroes...a week or more (can't remember) before the real list was leaked. I wonder if those are preliminary lists or works of people who have the list but can't leak it so they tweak it a bit to throw us a bone. But I guess we'll never know the truth.

Melum is in a 2-in-1 set with Kopaka, and there's no "vs" in there, so I doubt the Creatures are going to be enemies with the Toa, at least not permanently.

Umarak has to be a villain, they'd never call a good guy "hunter", think of the marketing aspect.

But the Ghost Leak coincides with the playtester report, whether those claims were legitimate remains to be seen. But if we are going by that information then clearly Mask Hunter is not Umarak as the playtester report states the presumed Mask Hunter as a larger Ekimu, and white and gold I believe. Umarak, I believe is more or less confirmed as black in primary color by another user who knows a shop owner(this was before Nekchir, not him). I suppose nothing is confirmed though. Speaking of which, when can we expect summer 2016 pictures?(joke)

Edited by MakutaOfWar

I'd like to point out that the ghost lists set numbers are before the uniters. This alone confirms it as a fake. http://i.ytimg.com/v...xresdefault.jpg

And only thing ghost like the playtester described were the projectiles. He also said those could had been just slime-y. He said only seeing his nephew and others playing with them afar. So was what he said true or not there is no point speculating at this point.

I see the lack of leaks is getting to everyone but the wait is easier if people don't remind about it every second. Last year the another type of catalog was spotted in the late September and a day before that Meso found the pictures from some store site... It's not uncalled for that it would take all the way to the NYCC but I seriously doubt it.

Edit: Well I was afraid that seperating sets and the story topic wouldn't work all that well. Guess I was right.

Edited by GK733

Well, I personally didn't mean to derail the topic, I was keeping it to story-related speculation. But I had to discuss the list in order to get to the topic.

What I'm interested in the most is Makuta, if he's alive/active and if he's directly responsible for the Skull Spiders and/or the revival of Kulta and the Skull Army. Hopefully the books shed some light on these, otherwise I guess it's going to be revealed later on in order to keep Makuta's current status a mystery.

How exactly are we suppose to discuss story without sets and sets without story? There are going to be a lot of apologies in these threads for "going off-topic". What was wrong with a standard year thread, again? I call for an end to the seperation!

I guess I agree it's somewhat hard for Lego themes, especially considering this topic is pretty small compared to the Sets one. I'd suggest trying to see how this works, and let VBBN decide what's best.

(Meanwhile, I am convinced the Wishlist topic should remain separate)

You know, I really want the final battle with Makuta to involve Makuta putting on the mask of time and doing a "ZA WARUDO!" to freeze time.

You know, I really want the final battle with Makuta to involve Makuta putting on the mask of time and doing a "ZA WARUDO!" to freeze time.

Niiiiiice.

How exactly are we suppose to discuss story without sets and sets without story? There are going to be a lot of apologies in these threads for "going off-topic". What was wrong with a standard year thread, again? I call for an end to the seperation!

Because the thread was completely uncontrollable and went off topic far too much. Plus we are finding and implementing new ways to spotlight LEGO Media and as part of that separation a clear line has to be established between sets and story.. There needed to be some separation- and besides, if it fails, I can merge the two threads together seamlessly. Most likely not going to happen, but it's a fail-safe nonetheless.

Because the thread was completely uncontrollable and went off topic far too much. Plus we are finding and implementing new ways to spotlight LEGO Media and as part of that separation a clear line has to be established between sets and story.. There needed to be some separation- and besides, if it fails, I can merge the two threads together seamlessly. Most likely not going to happen, but it's a fail-safe nonetheless.

Genuinely not trying to go against your better judgement here, but I can't see how things can go off topic if it's all Bionicle related. Just my opinion, but I think it's a bit awkward having to swap threads all the time. Not exactly a massive deal, just a bit inconveniencing. Then again, I suppose with the Bionicle story getting more in depth could be called for.

I'm seriously expecting Toa Okoto-Nuva, with Ekimu joining the cast as the "Takanuva" character.

The book previews show the masks getting shattered, and they recieve some new masks, as well as Ekimu getting upgraded.

This may have been addressed here already but Set Form Ekimu is the same upgraded one from the book.

Yeah, Ekimu starts out with his armour blackened and ruined. Powered up Ekimu is just the gold armoured guy from the set, so no Toa Ekimu at least for now.

You know, I think the Beasts are the evil equivalents of the Creatures as opposed to them being the Creatures fused together. The Creatures are allies to the Toa while the Beasts are the allies of Umarak The Hunter/Destroyer.

The reason I think the Beasts are evil is because they seem to be mixes of different elements and from what we have gathered from the story, that is pretty much frowned upon since it would make objects or beings "too strong and dangerous" which leads me to believe Makuta somehow created them with the MOUP.

You know, I think the Beasts are the evil equivalents of the Creatures as opposed to them being the Creatures fused together. The Creatures are allies to the Toa while the Beasts are the allies of Umarak The Hunter/Destroyer.

The reason I think the Beasts are evil is because they seem to be mixes of different elements and from what we have gathered from the story, that is pretty much frowned upon since it would make objects or beings "too strong and dangerous" which leads me to believe Makuta somehow created them with the MOUP.

Ahhh very good point

Maybe the Beasts were actually created by the MoUP itself? It seems to be implied that it's sentient and what turned Makuta evil (or at least amplified his existing evil).

Also, do you think the Toa will have the same mask powers? I'm hoping that, due to a lack of time/resources, Ekimu can only make them new masks based on their G1 Kanohi powers, and they have to unite with the Creatures (literally or metaphorically) to regain their elemental powers.

EDIT: Also, maybe Umarak is the name of the species, and their titles are their individual names. Like the Time Lords, only evil (and biomechanical).

Edited by The Outsider

Considering that several of the G1 mask powers canonically exist within G2 (see the description for the Mask Maker's Forge on the website), that'd be a nice way of both making the Toa a little more interesting power-wise while allowing them to introduce next year's plot devices, without having to make the story any more complicated than it already is.

Okay okay, so what if Umarak is a mercinary type character hired by Makuta or someone else to track down the Mask of Control, so basically a race between the Toa and Umarak to obtain it. The creatures may be Umarak's personal 'pets' unleashed to suppress the Toa. So in the summer maybe Umarak seizes the MoControl first and becomes the Destroyer and either makes new beasts or-grabbing this from user's prievious speculation-combines his creatures from before. So instead of returning the Mask to Makuta or whoever Umarak gets power mad and claims it himself.

*Posted this in the other 2016 topic by mystake but here:*

You know, I just realized: Umarak - M, A, K, U, R, A

MAKUTA! *oh2*

Probably just coincidence but interesting none the less.

On the topic of mask powers... NO. I. DONT. WANT. THAT. AT. ALL. NEW. GENERATION. NEW. RULES. GET. OVER. IT. (why am I typing like this? :grin: )

I always though most of the G1 mask powers were stupid and then some became obsolete (Miru). I kinda like the Elemental Masks. It's fresh and different. Also Elements tend to bring a more powerful presence in other cultures soooo.

Edited by Phoenix_Flare

On the topic of mask powers... NO. I. DONT. WANT. THAT. AT. ALL. NEW. GENERATION. NEW. RULES. GET. OVER. IT. (why am I typing like this? :grin: )

I always though most of the G1 mask powers were stupid and then some became obsolete (Miru). I kinda like the Elemental Masks. It's fresh and different. Also Elements tend to bring a more powerful presence in other cultures soooo.

I wanna have G1 powers...G1 names, too please...

Mask powers, yes. Names, no.

Reason: I dislike the masks bearing elemental powers. It implies that the Toa have no inherent elemental power themselves (in this case anyway; I know Gen 1 had elemental masks), which makes them less than what I think they should be. If they gain inherent elemental powers from the creatures AND new powers from new masks, that would make my day. I don't really care if they are Gen 1 mask powers or not, but I want them to do things they could not before.

As for names, using original names helps keep Gen 2 further separated from Gen 1. We already have our six heroes; I'd like to throw new scenarios and characters at them. That's part of the reason I'm glad Umarak is showing up: he's something new we haven't seen before.

Some speculation on how the story could go (I swear I posted this before, or did I?):

Winter: Umarak, a powerful mercenary/servant of Makuta/finds the MoCo and uses it to mind control the elemental Creatures. The Toa break Umarak's spell and free and befriend the Creatures.

Summer: enraged, Umarak decides to create his own Creatures by mixing the elements together, birthing evil elemental monsters, the Beasts. The Toa manage to defeat the Beasts.

Finale: Umarak, humiliated, decides to go all out by wearing the MoCo himself. Makuta's dormant energy turns him up into a powerful monster, Umarak the Destroyer. The Toa, helped by Ekimu, manage to defeat Umarak, but the Mask manages to reawaken and summon Makuta's spirit. Makuta now has a physical body and swears he'll unleash his most powerful servants to find the Mask of Ultimate Power before Ekimu and the Toa manage to.

I do hope the Creatures and the Beasts are sentient, otherwise it'd almost feel like HF 2013-2014. Animals are fun enemies, but they don't do anything for the plot.

There's some speculation that Umarak might actually be Makuta since the two names are almost an anagram of eachother. That could work with Makuta revealing himself at the end.

I really like all of that, except for Umarak "mixing the elements". I still believe that the Beasts' names are just stylized words meant to represent Fire, Ice, and Earth.

Soooo anybody wonder if there will be/are two Umarak's instead of one? Like maybe the Hunter and Destroyer are siblings of some sort, or Destroyer is a copy of Hunter that stems from him/her later on. If the MoControl or whatever does indeed combine the creatures then maybe it can also split a being in two. Either sounds cool enough.

Also, maybe Makuta isn't the main main villain, but the MoUP has created it's own being, like the Entity of Ultimate Power or something. That would make an awesome double villain twin pack, though. So Makuta as a servent, like manga Tetsuo was to Akira. I mean, Makuta was the main villain of G1, someone fresh might not be that bad an idea.