Ondra

Technic 2016 Discussion and Speculation

I also thought up a plausible reason for the 42051 fire truck being delayed: it could be that since there is so much red on the model, any issue with making the red parts would be disastrous. So, the cause might have been a bad batch of red plastic, and that might affect the initial production run, and Lego has not announced it because they haven't gotten that sorted yet. I can see a lot of evidence in favor of it being canceled, and it's not that I don't believe Anio, but I'm not calling it until it is actually 2016.

That sounds like a very plausible reason.

sorry is it hard to read?

There's no reason to use a colored font. Just use the regular black font.

Or sneak less important note.

Edited by zux

Given how... unpolished some of the 1H sets were, I am preparing for the worst when it comes to 2H. Worst case scenario is that Claas Xerion is the normal flagship, the Volvo excavator is canceled, and the bucket wheel excavator is the smallest set. Also, the ultimate IP car is an ugly rendition of a (insert car you hate here), with most of the cost going to the license, and few functions.

Cynicism aside, it might be that the design for some sets of the 1st half were rushed to give the designers time to get the 2nd half stuff really good. I also thought up a plausible reason for the 42051 fire truck being delayed: it could be that since there is so much red on the model, any issue with making the red parts would be disastrous. So, the cause might have been a bad batch of red plastic, and that might affect the initial production run, and Lego has not announced it because they haven't gotten that sorted yet. I can see a lot of evidence in favor of it being canceled, and it's not that I don't believe Anio, but I'm not calling it until it is actually 2016.

Same here, and given how they like to take simple short cuts in functionality when theres actually alot of potential (like the mine loader) im afraid they will do the same with a 2H set, probably for one of the licensed sets. For a 50 dollar/euro (rumored) volvo excavator set we get lucky if they will include any pneumatics at all... most logical design would be short cuts in form of lever controls like the excavator of the 42023. And if the BWE is the smallest 2H set it will indeed be strange, either way i think we can expect to be disappointed.

But with one cancelled set so far theres a pretty big chance/risk that we will have a cancelled 2H set as well, but i guess we wont find out until august.

Colours are for highlighting important bits, or to make it festive!

like this?

I found out the instructions for some of the 2016 sets are on Lego digital instructions!

Edited by Babaloveslego55

like this?

I found out the instructions for some of the 2016 sets are on Lego digital instructions!

No not like this. Quit using colors and simply use black text.

But with one cancelled set so far theres a pretty big chance/risk that we will have a cancelled 2H set as well

On what, exactly, are you basing this conclusion/assumption?

And what about, if you are wrong in every single word you have written here :wink: ?

Hopefully, that's the case. I want to be wrong about all of this.

Also, I can't remember there ever being a set that was announced, and then cancled, at least in Technic.

Cynicism aside, it might be that the design for some sets of the 1st half were rushed to give the designers time to get the 2nd half stuff really good. I also thought up a plausible reason for the 42051 fire truck being delayed: it could be that since there is so much red on the model, any issue with making the red parts would be disastrous. So, the cause might have been a bad batch of red plastic, and that might affect the initial production run, and Lego has not announced it because they haven't gotten that sorted yet. I can see a lot of evidence in favor of it being canceled, and it's not that I don't believe Anio, but I'm not calling it until it is actually 2016.

This doesn't sound like something that would happen. Lego no longer uses pre-colored plastic—they use colored dye added to colorless ABS/PC, and one of the reasons they changed from using precolored granulate was specifically to avoid scenarios where a "bad batch" impacted the production schedule. Now not only do they buy the dye separately, but they buy it from multiple suppliers, so that if one has trouble with production they can buy from another supplier to offset it. And even if Lego did still use pre-colored plastic, there are plenty of other sets that use lots of red that are being released as planned, such as the Lego City fire sets, which would seemingly rule out a supply problem.

I have no idea why a set like the airport fire truck might be cancelled, but I think it would have to be a much deeper problem than the model being underwhelming, as some have criticized this year's models for— it'd probably have to be a significant design flaw that would require the set to be completely reworked, such as an essential new mold turning out to not meet safety standards, or a critical structural or mechanical problem with the build. Alternatively, it could just be that not enough retailers expressed interest in the model to justify large-scale production.

Edited by Lyichir

See, I don't see any new parts in that model, at all, so I doubt that that is the case. As for critical structural problems, I just don't see there being a way to screw up such a simple model. I don't know how the procurement system works, and how retailers order things, but given that there are literally no other examples of this happening, that we can point to, that seems unlikely. I just see no solution from our perspective that would explain it.

Regardless of what the problem is, since none of us have any experience with the production side of things, we are not going to arrive at a conclusion, no matter what. However, like I said, I am waiting for official confirmation, which may or may not come before saying it is canceled.

I really hope that the Volvo excavator will be the flagship of 2016. It would be great to have a wheeled excavator with the buckets of 42043.

I really hope that the Volvo excavator will be the flagship of 2016. It would be great to have a wheeled excavator with the buckets of 42043.

I'm sorry, but we have information that the BuWeEx is the flagship. And above that there is the ultimate set.

The Volvo seems like the 50€ set but lego has given us some surprises this year.

The reason why fire truck was canceled?Look in the new 1H 2016 catalogue... They included a lot of older 2015 sets in catalogue. So fire truck had no space more or was a concurence for older sets...

Max