Ondra

Technic 2016 Discussion and Speculation

Dumb question for you guys - why is the Porsche the 2016 flagship? It seems to be in its own category, "Ultimate Technic". I am considering the BWE to be the true 2016 flagship - largest regular set, released on August 1st (typical timing for flagships), and with significant new parts and new functions.

I haven't yet seen any website or post that labeled the Porsche "flagship". Brickset even gives the flagship label to the BWE, not the Porsche. And I'm certain that most of the people here doesn't think of the Porsche as the flagship either.

1-It will be the 1st of the month in between July and September and 2-I doubt a $350 CAN set will sell out first day.

Well, it did sell out first day, who knows maybe earlier this morning. I live in the US, and it says out of stock, expected 30 days. Figured that would happen, never had a chance with working hours. I'm sure it will be available again at some point, but somewhere I read the set is limited to 10,000 production units...

Typically, the US and Canada get stock at the same time and I believe it is all controlled from Enfield, Connecticut.

Edited by DarkShadow73

There's no 10.000 unit limit.

There may be 10.000 set production run, but they can do another, if needed.

The sets appear to be hand packed by people instead of machine. That could limit how quickly they can get them out the door. You could make people work faster but then there is more chances for packing errors in rushing. :classic:

Does anyone know the box dimensions yet?

Box dimensions for what? This topic is for all the new 2016 sets. The Porsche box is the same perimeter as the 41999 but thicker.

Volvo box is like 42000 box, Claas box is the same as 42052, 42042, 42025 box. No idea about BWE box.

Volvo: 35.7x37.8x9.4

Claas: 58.2x37.8x10.3

BWE: 58.2x48x17

Volvo box is like 42000 box, Claas box is the same as 42052, 42042, 42025 box. No idea about BWE box.

Claas box is same size as the sets you listed? Those sets all had between 1050 and 1400 pcs, and has been used extensively since 2008 or 9, whereas the Claas (esp the huge new tractor tires, FINALLY!) is coming in at 1977 pcs IIRC, seems like it would use a size larger, not as large as 42043 or 42030, but something in between. 42053 actually looks kinda small, but 42000 size box makes sense

Bet the BWE has a LOT of pins of various types, and looks to have maybe 200 or more track pieces. Though I hate snapping track pcs together (chaps your fingers bad, esp w/ the amount on the BWE's base and on the conveyors itself), I can't wait for this set to be released. Its a set so unusual and fresh for Technic unlike all the wheeled vehicles (not criticizing at all, I love Technic) and the rash of tracked excavators in the past several years, almost like a mobile gravel pit.

Back in the day when 8053 Mobile Crane came out and I built the harbour crane version, I modified the 4 'bases' and made the unit static instead of moveable.

So, really the first the 'land-based' Technic model I had. I really like that version of the 8053 with my small modification, and it may fit in well with 42055.

I wish the US would just go to the metric system like the rest of the world. Its tough to calculate centimeters into inches in your head. I know 2.54cm=1 inch, but still that's some heavy math to calculate. At least we have calculators and unit converters on cell phones nowadays.

Claas box is same size as the sets you listed? Those sets all had between 1050 and 1400 pcs, and has been used extensively since 2008 or 9, whereas the Claas (esp the huge new tractor tires, FINALLY!) is coming in at 1977 pcs IIRC, seems like it would use a size larger, not as large as 42043 or 42030, but something in between. 42053 actually looks kinda small, but 42000 size box makes sense

The Claas box has the same perimeter to those boxes and only 1.6 cm thicker. Volvo box isn't the same to 42000 box. It has 0.1cm high less, 11.7 cm long less and 0.3cm deep more. Edited by dimaks13

Why this obsession with box size? It goes in the bin 2 minutes after I've emptied it of its contents.

Edited by LucyCol

I never keep the boxes either. And on another note, I prefer those times when the box is about full and doesn't have a lot of free space inside.

I never keep the boxes either. And on another note, I prefer those times when the box is about full and doesn't have a lot of free space inside.

At least Claas' box must be about full.

Claas box is same size as the sets you listed? Those sets all had between 1050 and 1400 pcs, and has been used extensively since 2008 or 9, whereas the Claas (esp the huge new tractor tires, FINALLY!) is coming in at 1977 pcs IIRC, seems like it would use a size larger, not as large as 42043 or 42030, but something in between.

I've observed that 1H flagship and 2H second biggest sets all come in that size. I actually own 42052, 42042, 42025, and 8070. So I guess this year there wouldn't be any difference.

So. I'm planning to buy a 2HY set, what's the best set?

If you want a very expensive static display piece, go for the Porsche

If you want a long building experience for a very, very big thing, go for the BuWeEx.

If you want amazing functions, go for the CLAAS.

If you want something playable, go for the Volvo.

If you want a very expensive static display piece, go for the Porsche

If you want a long building experience for a very, very big thing, go for the BuWeEx.

If you want amazing functions, go for the CLAAS.

If you want something playable, go for the Volvo.

Y not buy the copter for the time being?

did so myselfe today :grin:

So. I'm planning to buy a 2HY set, what's the best set?

Time will tell, nobody knows yet. And it depends merely on your taste and preferences for vehicles/machinery. In a few weeks you can read the reviews of the new sets.

I agree with Legonut, the helicopter is definitely one of the best sets this year. Good price, nice gearbox and lots of good executed functions.

I agree with Legonut, the helicopter is definitely one of the best sets this year. Good price, nice gearbox and lots of good executed functions.

Not to mention, pleasant building experience, and clean, complete look.

They appeared on a Finnish store pages too. The prices are not as bad as I thought they would be, so I mit actually be able to afford some of these.

42055 - 226,90 Eur

42054 - 159,90 Eur

42053 - 94,90 Eur

These include the VAT of 24%.

The reason I was afraid of high prices, was that the Porsche costs 350 Eur in the Lego shop for Finland, instead of the 300 it's supposed to. Apparently, the street prices are a little bit better.

https://www.karkkainen.com/verkkokauppa/haku/Lego%20technic#!spos=202_2_26