Ondra

Technic 2016 Discussion and Speculation

I'll settle with the BWE, because:

- Already have pneumatics and clamshell from Arocs, so no Volvo

- Already have 3 sets with crane (Arocs, MK II, Crawler Crane), don't want another one, so no Claas

- With BWE, I can enjoy building 2 models, or even 3 if somebody makes a trench digger for a C-model, while I can only build 1 model with Porsche.

I'll settle with the BWE, because:

- Already have pneumatics and clamshell from Arocs, so no Volvo

- Already have 3 sets with crane (Arocs, MK II, Crawler Crane), don't want another one, so no Claas

- With BWE, I can enjoy building 2 models, or even 3 if somebody makes a trench digger for a C-model, while I can only build 1 model with Porsche.

but porsche provides enough parts to make a good C-model, ehh, that would be a B-model i guess. nevertheless, i'll go for the BWE as well.

I'm in love with Heavy Lift Heli, but I'm getting Volvo Front Loader while I can get it cheap, so the chopper's gotta wait.

I'd love to have the Porsche as I'm a sucker for orange panels and cars in general, but that thing's way to expensive for non-PF set for me.

I'm in love with Heavy Lift Heli, but I'm getting Volvo Front Loader while I can get it cheap, so the chopper's gotta wait.

I'd love to have the Porsche as I'm a sucker for orange panels and cars in general, but that thing's way to expensive for non-PF set for me.

Get an arocs instead O' the porsche then (It has PF). :P

I'm going to get all 4 2H sets as soon as humanly possible!

I believe I asked this, but when are the 42053, 42054 and 42055 being released? I know usually its around first of August, but some years it has been much earlier, like end of June.

Anybody know?

I know the Porsche is slated for June 1, not interested in that, way too expensive and no PF elements. The other 3 I'm interested in immensely, especially like most, the BWE. I found out it is around $280 USD. Seems like since 2013 with the 42009, Lego has tried to keep making models larger and larger as far as piece count, 3900+ is almost obscene, but I'd love to have it.

Seems like in a lot of cases in the past 4 summers, only the 'wealthiest' can afford to buy the large Technic sets. I imagined to get an Arocs and also the Crawler Crane last year. Those, in itself, and I had to drive 300 miles round trip to acquire them, broke the bank. Even the B-models which many times aren't that interesting, we're good on those 2 sets. Only issue I have since Lego stopped printing B-model instructions in late 2007, is that the printable instructions (no room to build by the PC) take a ton of ink and most times only include 1 step with 1 or 2 pieces on each page, but once a model is pretty big, just those 2 pcs or so waste ink cause of having to print the entire model on the same page, while the main models instructions generally have more than 1 step and more pieces per step in the in-box instruction manuals.

I believe I asked this, but when are the 42053, 42054 and 42055 being released? I know usually its around first of August, but some years it has been much earlier, like end of June.

Anybody know?

When I spoke to the Leho shop in Cardiff last week they said they have them on the system as due Mid August

The best option IMO is to just expect August 1 and if you do find it somewhere before that, it's a bonus.

I usually settle for the official release dates (January 1, August 1) because the site I usually order from, which I find to have the best prices, get the sets in stock for those dates.

I was dead set on just the BWE but having seen the Claas tractor, I think I'll have to get the pair. They both look great but for different reasons. It'll be really interesting to see what Lego does for next year's models... They already have enough cranes and trucks.

Edited by Weezer

Personally I love trucks with the 62 wheels (or similar size), and accompanying vehicles around the same scale, like the Volvo (I realize not the same scale, but it works in Lego size).

In almost any other 2H releae the Porsche would be top of my list. However, I only have £500 left for Lego and I want the Class.

And the BWE.

And the Volvo...

7000 more parts and (hopefully) 3 excellent models for my collection!

From what I have read until now It seems TLC has the intention of launching a new line of "Ultimate" sets starting with the Porsche

Are there any news or confirmation of that?

From what I have read until now It seems TLC has the intention of launching a new line of "Ultimate" sets starting with the Porsche

I don't think there is any evidence but if they are doing that now I want a land rover

I don't want it to be close to the original since they break every 10 kilometers though :)

I don't think there is any evidence but if they are doing that now I want a land rover

From the interview that came with the press release:

What was the idea behind this project?

Andrew Woodman, Senior Design Manager, LEGO Technic: As a lover of design and high-performance cars, it was a dream to make the Porsche 911 our first model. When we started to collect ideas for this new LEGO Technic model, we realized that we wanted to create more than just a great building experience. It should be all over special. We knew that we needed a partner with the perfect vehicle that was both highly desirable and a true icon. So we reached out to Porsche.

How did the cooperation with Porsche run?

Andrew Woodman: The cooperation with Porsche was fantastic. The employees are incredibly passionate for the Porsche brand and showed huge interest in our LEGO Technic model.

From our very first meeting it was clear that Porsche shared the same passion for the vision of this concept and together we decided upon using the current 911 GT3 RS as the first vehicle in this LEGO Technic series.

Edited by Pomodoro

I will be excited if the Porsche really will turn out to be the first of a series. It makes me dream of a series of creations similar to the Modulars: machines (not necessarily just vehicles) designed in the same scale, getting better with each new release, providing a tonne of build pleasure and which will look awesome when displayed together.

Since this is a speculation topic, what could be the interval between "Ultimates", given the fact that the 42056 took at least 3 years to develop. One a year seems a bit ambitious...

Edited by Cumulonimbus

I concur! And I was also wondering about the interval. Hopefully it will be less than 3 years.

I concur! And I was also wondering about the interval. Hopefully it will be less than 3 years.

and fingers crossed for a nice McLaren or Lamborghini...

Edited by TheItalianBrick

I will be excited if the Porsche really will turn out to be the first of a series. It makes me dream of a series of creations similar to the Modulars: machines (not necessarily just vehicles) designed in the same scale, getting better with each new release, providing a tonne of build pleasure and which will look awesome when displayed together.

Since this is a speculation topic, what could be the interval between "Ultimates", given the fact that the 42056 took at least 3 years to develop. One a year seems a bit ambitious...

Most D2C sets take more than a year to develop (though three is still on the longer end of things), and as with those Lego is probably working on multiples of these at a time. One a year sounds like a decent rate to release these at, on par with the modular buildings and large Creator vehicles. It's not implausible that Lego would already be well into development of 2017's model and already in the early stages of 2018's.

I would gladly welcome 3 year intervals. I would like to have them all and that would make it easier ;) Financially, of course.

Dumb question for you guys - why is the Porsche the 2016 flagship? It seems to be in its own category, "Ultimate Technic". I am considering the BWE to be the true 2016 flagship - largest regular set, released on August 1st (typical timing for flagships), and with significant new parts and new functions.