Ondra

Technic 2016 Discussion and Speculation

A bit off-topic, but:

I don't understand why some people consider Technic as not Lego. Back in the days when Technic started up, it was IMO very similar to regular Lego except the long bricks (beams) with holes and the additional axles, pins, bushes, gears etc.

Fair enough, Technic today might not look like Lego at all compared to regular bricks, but IMO it's Lego as long as The Lego Group makes it. And I personally find Technic much more appealing and interesting than the "regular" Lego :laugh:

An AFOL at a Chicago show in 2010 show told me that he didn't care for the Technic theme because it was too complicated.. Which is understandable.. During that same show there was a mother who about ripped her son's arm out of it's socket pulling him away from my table saying "We didn't come here to see that" You would have thought I was displaying live rattlesnakes or something.. You pay $7 to $12 to get into a show and you're not even going to bother looking at everything..? I just don't get it..

Edited by Paul Boratko

A bit off-topic, but:

I don't understand why some people consider Technic as not Lego. Back in the days when Technic started up, it was IMO very similar to regular Lego except the long bricks (beams) with holes and the additional axles, pins, bushes, gears etc.

Fair enough, Technic today might not look like Lego at all compared to regular bricks, but IMO it's Lego as long as The Lego Group makes it. And I personally find Technic much more appealing and interesting than the "regular" Lego :laugh:

Simply, a lot of AFOLs don't like Technic, just like some of us don't like City, licensed or action themes.

Simply, a lot of AFOLs don't like Technic, just like some of us don't like City, licensed or action themes.

I can at least respect all of the other aspects of building.. :thumbup:

On a more positive note involving Technic, last month my wife and I filmed some segments for an upcoming American television show that will hopefully educate some people who are not familiar with the Technic theme..

Edited by Paul Boratko

Man there is nothing i hate more than discrimination, that might explain why most stores i find have very little Technic but loads of everything else.

I get that. I mean, there's a difference between not caring about something and not considering it to be "real" Lego for whatever reason.

That's the aspect I just don't get, but each to his own, I guess.

Back on topic - I'm starting to really consider buying the BWE when August comes. I have a project in mind that could benefit from some of the parts.

I can at least respect all of the other aspects of building.. :thumbup:

On a more positive note involving Technic, last month my wife and I filmed some segments for an upcoming American television show that will hopefully educate some people who are not familiar with the Technic theme..

What show is it and when do you think it will air?

Probably because many people just don't appreciate Technic and accept it as actual Lego.. I've been to numerous shows where people will take pictures of everything there and completely pass by the Technic stuff like it is invisible, or make 15 minute long video reviews of a show and for some reason omit the Technic.. I was at a show a few years back and overheard a group of guys discussing about how my models shoudln't be in the main room and instead should be out in the parking lot..

Man thats messed up. I would have interrupted them and told them that my models do belong here whether they like it or not. Some people can be so rude for no reason.

I was at a show a few years back and overheard a group of guys discussing about how my models shoudln't be in the main room and instead should be out in the parking lot..

I'd take that as a complement!

What show is it and when do you think it will air?

I am not allowed to publicly discuss it until it premieres, but if you check the teaser on my website's main page, it'll give you a clue as to what show it is.. As far as when it will air, the producers of the show are supposed to let me know a week in advance because it coincides with a few other events that I have to prepare..Send me a friend request on Facebook, so that way you'll know the date as I will most likely send a message out about it beforehand..

Wow, i had no idea there was such a big part of AFOLs who consider technic to not be lego

Maybe its because i grew up on studful, and always loved technic as a kid, but studless technic is just as much lego to me as anything else

Any chance to watch it elsewhere than on American TV at some point?

This is why I started adding other things with motion(Motorized engine, Demon animatronic bust) because here in the states if you build with Technic and want to get more people to notice your work at an AFOL show and not just walk past it, then you better have something moving on your table.. Americans like to see things that move..

And if you like, I'd love to see more animatronic busts! That was supercool, and here's an idea for a cute one: Wall·E ;)

I'd take that as a complement!

Yeah, or at least pretend that it is. Your models certainly belong more in an automotive show, or a transport museum, and I mean it with the best of intentions :)

Town AFOLs find Technic incomprehensibly complex, I knew that from several people. Parents with young children have no interest in Technic since its not (and doesn't look) for that age group. Parents with older children simply don't look at Technic because older children need no guidance to their favorite toys. This leaves us with ourselves (Technic AFOLs) and I don't think we are a large segment among people visiting LEGO fairs. So drawing interest would rely on cool (non too technical) looks and action. I think GBCs are a perfect formula.

BTT: What is latest known on 42051 if any?

The concept of 42051 is great, but the looks is questionable and functions limited (As I can see), unless TLG make something like Lucio's Airport Rescue truck in smaller size.

The concept of 42051 is great, but the looks is questionable and functions limited (As I can see), unless TLG make something like Lucio's Airport Rescue truck in smaller size.

I agree on both counts. I think a lift (8289, 8292) but a bit bigger, like the scale of 8053, with out riggers. That would be awesome.

I'll give my 'twist' on Technic vs. else. I'm guessing many of us (if not ALL of us) who are interested in technic have some sort of engineering background (I'm a mechanical engineer). Yes, I do find technic a way to replicate working-mechanisms out there but lately, I've been drawn to the more 'artsy' side of Lego, be it fancy/modern architectural pieces or or even rock/mountain shaping. Those really require some 'art' aptitude that is certainly not availabe to everyone. There must be a reason there are way more engineers than artists ...

Brickworld201401.JPG

1277656159m_SPLASH.jpg

Edited by DrJB

Those really require some 'art' aptitude that is certainly not availabe to everyone. There must be a reason there are way more engineers than artists ...

I don't think there are way more engineers than artists, I just think there are more people making a living at engineering than art. You don't hear about the unsuccessful artists! Unsuccessful engineers make national news...

@Dr JB I know, that Burj Al Arab, Totally nails it. And a Quite similar one is on LEGO Ideas at over 450 supporters, Though it still has over 300 days.

And about the world having more artists than engineers, I just think well how many fine art 'schools' and classes are out there, IMO what ever the number is, it is way less than the number of colleges and schools offering engineering. I mean engineers are much more demanded in the world we live in now than artists are.

Oh and lack of information about that Porsche is killing me. Anyone else feels like there is more to it than meets the eye.

the Porsche will be most likely RC with new motors and IR control with hopefully better range and the set will most likely be Limited edition so it will probably come in a special color ( definitely not the decals in the shown pictures ) , like 41999 dark blue crawler and will most likely have Lego LEDs V2 or something like that these things would explain high costs i would like the color to be Dark Green or Dark Red but I suspect a new red like the one that shows up most common on the GT3 RS like with bright green or dark purple another likely possibility would be dark bluish gray with a side racing stripe another popular GT3 RS combination , and as for the interior it will be in no way black dark bluish gray would be neat but that might be the body color so unlikely and there is no point getting our hopes up for tan or even a whole new batch of dark tan Technic parts as that would be at home in a normal 911 not a 911 aimed at the track so that eliminates red most likely , maybe light bluish gray :)

sorry for my terrible writing and I dont know how to add pictures without it deleting my post entirely so sorry about that too :angry::look:

Well, That could be, But It still is just speculation, we all think that the price will not be that high for no good reason, but other than that we are just guessing, Who knows how it will turn out.

I was looking forward to the fire truck. My dream would be a lift style truck, like 8289. I'm kinda sad they canceled it.

http://www.technic-s...rescue-vehicle/

This reminds me of an older set (8454) that had lots of red panels and those rare shock absorbers.

8454-1.jpg

Edited by DrJB