Ondra

Technic 2016 Discussion and Speculation

Are there any pics where the Porche has it's wheel's turned? Or the steering wheel turned?

Edit: On the box, the wheels are slightly turned, and the steering wheel is still straight, chances are it's RC

Edited by Kman860

Are there any pics where the Porche has it's wheel's turned? Or the steering wheel turned?

Edit: On the box, the wheels are slightly turned, and the steering wheel is still straight, chances are it's RC

Actually its gotta be rc:

8043 was rc, 8110 not, 9398 was, 42009 wasnt, 42030 was, 42043 wasnt....so the next logical step is rc, I hope

Does anyone know what date roughly these will be available in the uk thanks

When the new Argos catalogue comes out.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I don't see the steering wheel at all on the high res images of the box. I did see 2 images of this with the wheels just off of straight and the steering wheel is at 5 degrees and another with the wheels further to the right and the steering wheel at 30 degrees.

I'm merging this topic with the 2016 discussion topic. No need for another topic about the new sets.

Hello all, I am new to the forums but am keen technic lego builder. I like the look of the Volvo and the Claas and will get them. The question I hope someone could answer for me is what does the 1h 2h etc mean? and when will these sets be available for sale? I live in New Zealand and am keen for my next build. Thanks in advance

I'm merging this topic with the 2016 discussion topic. No need for another topic about the new sets.

Where are the box images I posted yesterday? Can you please add them to the first post of the dedicated set threads? Thanks.

Hello all, I am new to the forums but am keen technic lego builder. I like the look of the Volvo and the Claas and will get them. The question I hope someone could answer for me is what does the 1h 2h etc mean? and when will these sets be available for sale? I live in New Zealand and am keen for my next build. Thanks in advance

Hi, Im new here too but reading since a year ago.

h refers to half of the year (1h first half, 2h second half) :thumbup:

Edited by Starmort

Where are the box images I posted yesterday? Can you please add them to the first post of the dedicated set threads? Thanks.

They are on the previous page, with the other posts from yesterday :wink:

(I will add them to the other topics)

So the Porsche seems to have sequential gearbox with flappy gear change paddles

plus possible RC and brakes by the look of the size of the wheels.... you could fit a small family in there

the more i look the more I understand the 299€ pricing apart from the licencing IP issues - the seats are back to being the work of art old technic car seats used to be...etc...

we have to thank the MOCers like Sheepo et al. etc... who have been making complex cars like this that lego 'feels' the need to catch-up with something 'wow'

Still wish they'd done a pastel green landrover defender like the last one that was made...and that was the reason they did not do one with the lego ideas channel

the more i look the more I understand the 299€ pricing apart from the licencing IP issues -

me too - especially if you take into account the 200€ of the - functionwise - boring 41999 crawler - well, the 41999 had about 80€ PF parts, but on the other side just half of the parts the 42056 will contain (estimated)... overall i would rate the 299€ for the Porsche as not overprized even without RC parts - part count + Porsche licence + new parts + the load of nifty car functions (probably) make it at least as good valued as the 41999...#

just my 2ct

Indeed, all the 2H sets are awesome and each one offer unique pieces and functions.But talking about all sets of this year, in my opinion, it's a bit disappointed that TLG is not giving us basic and new useful pieces in the low and mid segment. For example, seems like the only set that will come with a differential is 42056, even when there are sets capable to have one (Funny car, mine loader).

To me, the wave of the last year was better balanced in every aspect. Just look at the 42037, 42038, 42039, 42040. From these sets you can easily get useful pieces as tracks, frames, shock absorbers , steering parts, gears and differentials and panels for a price under 100$.

Just my feeling and opinion . That's why I will only get the Volvo of this wave

Edited by Jonfensu

Indeed, all the 2H sets are awesome and each one offer unique pieces and functions.But talking about all sets of this year, in my opinion, it's a bit disappointed that TLG is not giving us basic and new useful pieces in the low and mid segment. For example, seems like the only set that will come with a differential is 42056, even when there are sets capable to have one (Funny car, mine loader).

To me, the wave of the last year was better balanced in every aspect. Just look at the 42037, 42038, 42039, 42040. From these sets you can easily get useful pieces as tracks, frames, shock absorbers , steering parts, gears and differentials and panels for a price under 100$.

Agreed on that!, that last year was better balanced. I wont probably get any 2H set, sure the BWE is absolutely stunning but approx 3550 pieces... it must be a pain to build, unless i find an already built second hand BWE :tongue:

The volvo excavator on the other seems to be a total disapointment (so far), overpriced but with 1166 pieces and still only 3 pneumatic functions, plus 2 simple shortcuts (blade and outriggers). Its amazing that they could use 10 cylinders many years ago on the 8455 and still cheapier(?). And no i didnt expect them to use 10 cylinders on the EW160 but atleast to design the boom/arm like IRL with the extra movable section, plus a rotating normal bucket instead. A total of 5 cylinders would do the job :thumbup:

In the 1H wave the helicopter looks amazing, and so does some of the smaller sets, i.e hydroplane boat and the go-kart.

To be fair, Technic sets from a previous year tend to be available for much, if not all of the present year. So no reason for the designers to feel obligated to make certain sets when not needed.

@geezerman402

Well, it's not about design or the models selected. It's about the pieces, and in the end,the finish that have the set. Being honest, some 1H sets feels and look self made, except the Helicopter and Go-kart. To understand what I am trying to say, just compare the 42028 with 42049 and look what offers each one for the same price and almost the same piece count

@GoldVillage

You're right about the Volvo and I expected the same as you. They should have used pneumatics in the outriggers. About price I think it's fine, looking the piece count alone and pneumatics :P even it's cheaper than the Helicopter that has 1000 pieces. Of course, if the rumored price is correct.

Maybe I am interested in the Volvo because it has pneumatics, it's the cheapest of the 2H and it should be my third Technic set after 10 Dark years that offers different parts to my current inventory :P

The volvo excavator on the other seems to be a total disapointment (so far), overpriced but with 1166 pieces and still only 3 pneumatic functions, plus 2 simple shortcuts (blade and outriggers). Its amazing that they could use 10 cylinders many years ago on the 8455 and still cheapier(?). And no i didnt expect them to use 10 cylinders on the EW160 but atleast to design the boom/arm like IRL with the extra movable section, plus a rotating normal bucket instead. A total of 5 cylinders would do the job :thumbup:

Original retail price of 8455 was 125 euro, and it has less than half the parts. But, like you said, we have 1200 parts and a bunch of shortcuts. Actually, going by the scale, I have a very hard time believing the 1200 parts thing. And what did we get? The most basic version of the real machine possible, with several shortcuts taken. I am really hoping that the part count and price are off, otherwise this set is going to be a letdown.

FWIW, 42048 is a decent parts pack, it has a frame, lift-arms, panels in various shapes, sizes and colours, and it is the cheapest set ever to my knowledge to include a gearbox. And 42044 is brilliant for panels, even if it doesnt have a lot of mechanical bits.

I agree though, the two sets i mentioned are the only ones i bought from this years wave, and that will likely stay like that. Meanwhile from last year i LOVE 42036 and 42039, and 37 and 42 are still on the "to buy" list

Original retail price of 8455 was 125 euro, and it has less than half the parts. But, like you said, we have 1200 parts and a bunch of shortcuts. Actually, going by the scale, I have a very hard time believing the 1200 parts thing. And what did we get? The most basic version of the real machine possible, with several shortcuts taken. I am really hoping that the part count and price are off, otherwise this set is going to be a letdown.

Yes, been thinking of that too! it surely doesnt look like a 1166 pcs set especially when comparing it to the much bigger 8043. Could be a typo on the box so 766 pcs sounds more like it :wink:

Edited by GoldVillage

Yes, been thinking of that too! it surely doesnt look like a 1166 pcs set especially when comparing it to the much bigger 8043. Could be a typo on the box so 766 pcs sounds more like it :wink:

Good point comparing with 8043, which is bigger, has a complex gearbox and lot of tread links.

FWIW, 42048 is a decent parts pack, it has a frame, lift-arms, panels in various shapes, sizes and colours, and it is the cheapest set ever to my knowledge to include a gearbox. And 42044 is brilliant for panels, even if it doesnt have a lot of mechanical bits.

I agree though, the two sets i mentioned are the only ones i bought from this years wave, and that will likely stay like that. Meanwhile from last year i LOVE 42036 and 42039, and 37 and 42 are still on the "to buy" list

I am totally agree with you. The Go-kart, Display jet team and Hydroplane boat are only the best low-mid sets of this year.

--------

I am +1166 agree with all of you( :tongue:) about piece count in Volvo. The first time that I saw the Volvo I thought: "It must have around 700 pieces". Then, I get surprised for the 1166. I'd say it has the same size of 42006. So, if it was a typo and has less pieces, for 70£, it would be a big fail set :look:

Agreed on that!, that last year was better balanced. I wont probably get any 2H set, sure the BWE is absolutely stunning but approx 3550 pieces... it must be a pain to build, unless i find an already built second hand BWE :tongue:

In the 1H wave the helicopter looks amazing, and so does some of the smaller sets, i.e hydroplane boat and the go-kart.

Funny, the most entertaining part for me is building models. What i don't like is taking apart a model. ;-)

I agree with you on the helicopter, looks like a very fun model.

I don't think you should compare recent Technic sets to much older sets regarding price and parts. Do you remember the 8851 excavator? Only 347 parts (and 110 of them are tracks) and a flagship! I think the Volvo has a lot more to offer than that, and the price is right in my opinion.

Edited by Bering

[/size]

I am totally agree with you. The Go-kart, Display jet team and Hydroplane boat are only the best low-mid sets of this year.

--------

I am +1166 agree with all of you( :tongue:) about piece count in Volvo. The first time that I saw the Volvo I thought: "It must have around 700 pieces". Then, I get surprised for the 1166. I'd say it has the same size of 42006. So, if it was a typo and has less pieces, for 70£, it would be a big fail set :look:

Thats a really good comparison! omg why did i use the 8043 for?! thats a overkill. By comparing the volvo excavator to the 42006 (or 8294 for that matter) which contains alot of more gears and axles because of a gear box and actuators, confirms that the volvo contains no way NEAR 1166 pcs. After this comparison i would be surprised if it even would have more than 600 pcs...

Volvo superstructure size without cab approx 20x15 studs.

42006 without cab approx 22x17

Then compare the arm/boom... the volvo is really tiny in a comparison.

Then add what the volvo lacks, and whats been pointed out earlier - the tracks.

Maybe it has parts for an different attachments? Maybe a metal grab? That's not shown and kept secret.

We can hope...

But I would't put my hopes high.