Ondra

Technic 2016 Discussion and Speculation

I love these new sets, they're aimed at us AFOL's. I think there is something for everyone and I sense they've taken inspiration from this forum and come up with some stunning sets. It's the first time in all my years of technic that I like all the sets. I'm not a fan of farming equipment but when I see the functions and the parts I want it. I'd love the porsche, as I think it will be better than we've seen, but I love the volvo with the pneumatics and if the price is about £70 then I can get it. So great sets at hopefully great prices with a great mixed selection of parts for all.

Jim, pass on my/our thanks to Lego.

H :classic:

Horace, I couldn't have said it better myself. New parts, new designs and subjects, the range of functions - the only drawback is having to decide - I am almost paralyzed knowing that at most I can probably get 2 sets from this wave.

42056 doesn't show any awkward looking knob for HOG steering but then I might be wrong, Lego pulled off a stunt by integrating HOG steering in the Aroc's beacon lights but that is a truck so its easy the Porsche is a sports car so sticking a knob in the model is not a wise move for Lego. Following the cycle of RC and non RC sets, the last RC set was the Volvo L350F so the Porsche 911 is a logical successor. I hope this will display PF 2.0 but regardless 42056 is gorgeous looking.

I've seen lots of knobs driving Porsche's.... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Edited by Kman860

I've seen lots of knobs driving Porsche's.... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I was pertaining to the HOG steering knob, this model has none of that which makes me think its an RC set, RC or not it's cool.

I was pertaining to the HOG steering knob, this model has none of that which makes me think its an RC set, RC or not it's cool.

IK, I was making a joke about, well, just say knob can also be a derogatory name.

Edited by Kman860

So, is 2016 the best year ever for the Technic line?

YES! Like others said, it's the first year I'll buy every set in a wave.

Edited by Kman860

So far. We don't know what 2017 and on holds yet.

It seems so at least. For sure we have no idea yet what 2017 might bring us ... but to top 2nd wave of 2016 will be VERY hard if not impossible.

Entirely personal, im mostly into cars, and with the porsche costing €300 (or more in my country), the only two sets out of the whole 2016 lineup i like enough to buy are the display team jet and the go-kart (both of which i already have), the rest doesnt float my boat, so ill probably spend the rest of the year on older sets (ive got 8070, and oddly 42042 on the wish list) or moccing/modding.

2015 was a lot better for me in that respect

After few days from first toy fair photos, I did little summary for myself.Sets, are great but still there are some flaws.

42053 Volvo-Great set, probably it will be selling like cupcakes.Manual pneumatic pump with possibility to motorisation with price about 90 euro.What else can fan of pneumatic or kids want!Im aware of awful installation of battery box with this volunteer motorisation.

42054 Xerion-Big and beefy set, looks more like mix beetween MOC and toy .Crane is unnecesary and looks like my MOC(This means bad), I rather want some agricultural attachments as main attachments.Unnecesary motorization that kill fake engine and 4WD.Tyres are great but I hope in more usage in future such as monster truck or backhoe.

42055 BWE-Nice idea, but made as kid proof machine.Im a bit dissapointed as afol.

42056-Looks really good, but Im aware of high price thanks to unnecesary license.If its fully RC then price is OK.

Excepting the BWE, which features design work from Markus Kossman and Alfred Pedersen (he did design 42035, after all), I wonder who designed the 2H sets?

42053 - very good price for a licensed set, but doesnt look as good as i expected, but functions seems ok based from video. It could grow from more pics/angles. B model looks even better, from the one pic, so far...

42054 - good looking tractor at a impressive size, but i rather seen the tractor itself being motorized instead of a half-done tractor and a half-done crane...

42055 - what appeared as the most ugly set is the one that grow most out from other angles, Very impressive, best of them all. However the b-model looks more like the java vehicle from star wars tattoine.

42056 - nicely shaped car but overpriced, and made in wrong color.

after few days from toy fair photos...(to copy Ondra :-) )

(I admit my opinions might be in opposite to what I wrote before - real up and down for me)

Volvo - it will sell like cupcakes. Great set for good price. Since I find real Volvo not exactly pretty, same goes for Lego version. I do not like "cage" cabin. But overall I like it. It grew on me.

Xerion - I would welcome non-motorized version with steering that allows to turn even if you do not have big house. I would welcome agricultural attachment (seeding machine droping 1x1 bricks, or plough, fertilizer, something like that - but still I will get this one, because it is pretty and I will "fix" it myself.

BWE - I am biased here since I like mining. It could have been prettier (central structure would benefit from more shaping - like Sandvik BWE). But it is badass bonkers set. B-model is cool too. Winner for me.

Porsche - price is the killer for me. I like it, I am sure it has lots of clever features, but still, it is only car. Lots depends on colour of the body for me. I am not interested if it is RC, without it is better for me. Lego RC car is never match for dedicated RC car. RC Lego is "crying on the wrong grave" for me.

disclaimer: all is just IMO.

Edited by bob st-claire

42055 - what appeared as the most ugly set is the one that grow most out from other angles, Very impressive, best of them all. However the b-model looks more like the java vehicle from star wars tattoine.

42056 - nicely shaped car but overpriced, and made in wrong color.

Do you have a picture of the B-Model?

I can't find one :-(

The Color of the Porsche is camouflage like on Real-Vehicles.

The End-Color will be an other one.

Edited by hsky

When I pick up the BWE I will definitely presort the parts. No dumping everything into the box. I end up searching for 30 minutes for the part i need most that way. Ill build bag by bag. In big sets 1000+ pieces and up, has lego ever put all pieces into one polybag?

In big sets 1000+ pieces and up, has lego ever put all pieces into one polybag?

Maybe I don't understand your question correctly, but sets with 100 parts already have two bags, let alone a 1000+ set.

Maybe I don't understand your question correctly, but sets with 100 parts already have two bags, let alone a 1000+ set.

I meant big sets to have all its pieces in one bag.

I meant big sets to have all its pieces in one bag.

In that case....my answer will be the same :laugh:

Sets with 100 parts already have two bags, let alone a 1000+ set.

Ok :) sorry for the confusion.

No problem. The bigger the set, the more bags. Check out one of my reviews of the Mercedes, Volvo, etc and you'll see what I mean.

BWE will have one bag with 1500 black pin connectors, another bag with 750 blue axle/pin connectors, a bag with 600 axle 3's, another bag full of 300 or so 3L blue connectors, and then maybe just the few remaining parts loose in the box. And of course with a box that big, a giant sticker sheet :grin: :grin: :grin: