Ondra

Technic 2016 Discussion and Speculation

I thought the Acros would be the pinnacle of Technic, but this year the TLG designers have really outdone themselves :thumbup: . I have to commend them for a job well done and look forward to more pictures and eventually reviews

There just seems to be an overall change, the overall feel of the Porsche, the new massive and very life like tyres of the tractor and it's many steering modes, the impressiveness of the BWE and the pneumatics of the volvo, it all seems like a large shift in our favour. Not that we haven't had stuff aimed at us before with the Mercedes sets, but this feels different, a bigger and more global shift throughout every 2H set. I love it! my wallet hates it but screw it!

I have never EVER seen eurobricks this busy, not for a single minute, and this is going for hours! The designers really got us excited this time. i thought it would be a while after the Arocs before we got something aimed at us AFOLs again, everything is awesome!

I've registered myself today after reading for some time. Rereading the 2015 topic, and this complete topic took some time. The main difference is that last year, all info came in stages (leaked photos etc). Except the description, most of the info we wanted came today. For all the sets. So stuff enough to discuss.

I'm more of the collector person and not really into designing my own rides and complex builds. But always wonder this: how far in advance does the Technic team design the new sets? Do they already have MOCs for 2017 and the ideas for the 2018 sets? And probably a lot of ideas got killed before we even see them.

Regarding those new sets I just had to register here :grin: IMO the BWE looks ugly but it is very much playable and functional, I dont think Im gonna buy it because im much more excited for the AMAZING Porsche which is hopefully rc, and the beautiful Xerion with its new massive tires, which can be used very good on a crawler.

I will be buying every single set for the 2H 2016. Its going to be an expensive birthday, but I love every set they have announced!

I am thrilled to see Technic moving this direction. It definitely seems like they are catering more to AFOL's with this round

Wow, AFOLs get lots of love from TLG this year!

I was about to say Technic fans - but there are some incredible sets in other themes also *looks at GBHQ sitting on the shelf*.

Well I think TLG have made a lot of people very happy. While maybe the Volvo could have been a bit bigger and the log grab on the Xerion is a bit meh I'm hoping they'll let VIP members pre order so we can get them on D day (smuggled to the office of course). Then I guess I'll have to be nice to the boss and hope for a Porsche for my birthday/Christmas:-S

I've registered myself today after reading for some time. Rereading the 2015 topic, and this complete topic took some time. The main difference is that last year, all info came in stages (leaked photos etc). Except the description, most of the info we wanted came today. For all the sets. So stuff enough to discuss.

I'm more of the collector person and not really into designing my own rides and complex builds. But always wonder this: how far in advance does the Technic team design the new sets? Do they already have MOCs for 2017 and the ideas for the 2018 sets? And probably a lot of ideas got killed before we even see them.

I did the same, I'm a massive Lego Technic fan and have followed posts on here before. Just had to jump on the hype and ride the wave and I'm loving every second. Good job TLG, you've done it again, but better :cry_happy:

Edited by TheCodfather

Well I think TLG have made a lot of people very happy. While maybe the Volvo could have been a bit bigger and the log grab on the Xerion is a bit meh I'm hoping they'll let VIP members pre order so we can get them on D day (smuggled to the office of course). Then I guess I'll have to be nice to the boss and hope for a Porsche for my birthday/Christmas:-S

erk- I forgot the BWE... how am I going to get that past the door!?! I might have to bribe her with brick bank, toy shop etc etc :-)

I used to get every sets plus 2 x flagship one. So this year I need to purchase 2 x (Porsche + Claas Xerion + Bucket Wheel Excavator)!!! :blush:

The BWE is too much, I'm always fond of buying supersize sets but it has to be a big truck or car so even if it has the functions or highest parts per price count I'm not counting on it. The Claas and Porsche are the must buys for me, trimming down my Lego spending and focusing on the sets I really like will make my collection more composed. If the 42054 Claas Xerion has the right sized tire to fit in my 41999 and 8110 Unimogs (especially those without rubbing at the wheel wells) I'll get an extra pair of those to make them look tougher. The wasn't expecting the 911 TBH but so far in it's GT3 RS form combined with AWD and a rear-mounter flat-6 engine this is going to be a sweet looking set. Looking at the video posted it seems the set has a proper steering system and what looks like bands connected to a paddle-shifter makes this an even more interesting set. The "prototype" look of the 42056 makes ma say Lego is probably doing some final work on the set which is obvious, we haven't even seen or know what the final color will look like or what of PF system with power it, from the box art I saw online it has LED lights upfront so its obviously an RC set. The set seems to be very large in scale, I never owned an 8880 so I don't know exactly how big we're dealing with this set. Lego has really outdone itself with the Technic summer sets.

I know the 42056 is going to be a Porsche 911 GT3 or GT3 RS but what of the B-Model? is this a one and done model just like the 41999? or a 911 Cabriolet will be the alternate build?

I thought the Acros would be the pinnacle of Technic, but this year the TLG designers have really outdone themselves :thumbup: . I have to commend them for a job well done and look forward to more pictures and eventually reviews

Poor Arocs all of a sudden, and too soon it flips from being the great Technic queen to a very normal pervious. I'm sure many who were still planning to buy it may reconsider now, especially those who wanted it for inventory fill up, function complexity, or even beauty. The new sets satisfy these aspects way more. A question pops here, what did TLG keep as distinct features of Arocs not available in one of the new sets. I can't find any except for the Pneumatic system is certainly more complete than the Volvo. If I were TLG I would now be regretting not giving the Arocs a distinct color.

I know the 42056 is going to be a Porsche 911 GT3 or GT3 RS but what of the B-Model? is this a one and done model just like the 41999? or a 911 Cabriolet will be the alternate build?

I think it's 99.99% just one model. It's marketed to be highly elegant. So a B model appears to lower its image. Of course thats only my thought.

Edited by Samer

A question pops here, what did TLG keep as distinct features of Arocs not available in one of the new sets. I can't find any except for the Pneumatic system is certainly more complete than the Volvo.

Functional dumping body, functional tailgate, wheel chocks, realistic 4 mirrors, exclusive gear racks.

The Arocs is still a beauty for me, I modded the tipper bed by making it taller just the Meiler-Kueppe tipper body. I guess it's more on one's preference as to what set is good looking or worth the money buying. As with the other sets in this summer lineup only 2 will find their way home to me: 42054 Claas Xerion and 42056 Porsche 911 GT3 RS.

I saw some news recently and somebody even argued with me that I said 42056 was a limited edition.I just said I knew 42056 was limited released to some shop but not" that was a limited edition".I just guessed it might be a exclusive set.YEAP

Sorry guys didn't mean to upset Arocs lovers as I'm one and still buying. This was just some thought, and it differs at different people. Sorry for the off-topic.

I hope it wont be too hard to get the Porsche in Western Australia we don't get much Technic at my local stores, i only just found the 42043 that i promptly placed on Lay-buy.

Edited by Corvette3

Now that i've seen most of the functions of the sets, i have a different opinion.

Now some critical notes.

Yes, the sets are getting bigger and have more pieces. Is bigger better? In my opinion, no. Did the functions also grow with the models? Not at all.

The Arocs for example, has lots of functionality cramped in a decent size. Engine, suspension, pneumatic, gears. Good price and good looks. The new sets are bigger, but most of them just have ordinary (lame) functions.

The Claas... where's the engine? Suspension? Yes, the crane is partly motorized, but the grapper isn't motorized. That's the most important part of playability. The engine is lost due to the batterybox, which in my opinion operates functions, which could have been better operated manually. Compared to 8284, which had a nice price and good playability, a step back. Yes, the Claas looks somewhat better and has new tires. But overall, price, functions and playability a step back.

The BWE.. it's big and has a lot of parts. I highly doubt the playability of this set. The tracks are moving, and yes, the bricks fall on the belt which transports them into a truck. Not very complex functions at all. The boom moves and it turns. I don't see the fun of it, but i'm happy for those who see it. ;-)

For the Volvo, i like the looks, but i didn't see any pics/video's about functions.

Mixed feeling about the direction Lego is going right now. I somewhat miss the old feeling of sets. If i compare these sets to 8043 for example, that's was just a piece of art. Pricewise, few parts, great playability and functions. These sets just can't compare to that level.

Lego, better stay on track and don't get lost in looks and more pieces!

Sure Jim, about the looks, great model! And the gearbox, rims, all look great. But we don't know yet if it is RC. So i just won't go with the hype right now, until i know more. But it surely looks promising.

But we don't know yet if it is RC.

Does it really matter? It's a great model either way if you ask me. Granted, the alleged price is steep when it's not RC.

I for once love where the Technic theme is heading with this years summer wave. It's the first year I'm literally forced to buy EVERY 2H set, simply because every set looks great, has a lot of parts and it seems very challenging to build them, especially the BWE and Porsche. Also I appreciate that TLG is doing something different with the Porsche set - 16+ Premium Set for real AFOLs. I LOVE IT. Thanks TLG!