Ondra

Technic 2016 Discussion and Speculation

So rumours that this set is Porsche 911 GT3 RS are probably going to be true, but still unknown if RC or not but I assume if BWE is largest set it will be RC.

Can wait for photos, BWE sounds great but rather wait for photos.Xerion sounds like instant buy.

A car the size of 8880, but costing €300? I have a hard time seeing that without a bunch of PF, the size just isnt there for the mechanical complexity to warrant that price, they could build the thing out of tumbler tires and it still wouldnt be worth it...

Ive already picked up 42044 and 42048, so looks like im done with technic for this years lineup, maybe pick up 42042 or a pullback racer.

I am quiet dissapointed about the Porsche.

I think LTG take a big risq releasing one of the most iconic car. And i do no speak of real thing but i am speaking about crowkilers his 997.

Releasing this set is assuming it's comparaison with one of the best lego Moc ever created. Any afol now this car. And asking about 250€ for something that does exist ...?

EDIT: i mean it is NOT possible doing better than krowkiller's job on that car....

Edited by steph77

i like the rumours about the car, the 8880 is a 1/8-9 scale car? so not too small for lego supercar. Also new mudguards and curved panels are always awesome.

I hope it'll have some suspension geometry though, and preferably lots of functions and non-rc if there aren't new powerful motors for it.

So the 42051 Airport Rescue Vehicle is going to be released this summer..?

i hope so, because i like the design of that set, it looked very clean on the prelims to me.

But idon't think it will, because if i understood well it wasn't there on display?

i hope so, because i like the design of that set, it looked very clean on the prelims to me.

But idon't think it will, because if i understood well it wasn't there on display?

That is why I was asking.. I wasn't sure why HUW even mentioned it unless there was something on display about it, but it just wasn't there..

Edited by Paul Boratko

So there's a crane on the Class, and it's still a VC?.....That means the crane will have to be mounted on a three point hitch, not the body, or the cab couldn't turn. Which also means there will probably be faux three point hitches like the unimog, which means lots of new mods.....or just adjusted unimog mods, and maybe PPTO's if we're lucky, but I doubt it.

Edited by Kman860

42054 Claas Xerion 5000 tractor. £120. A pretty faithful representation of the real thing. It's lime green, as you'd expect. It's fitted with a red log grabbing attachment and is motorised. It comes with new wheels, as you'd expect, which are massive. The cab rotates 90 degrees to enable the driver to get a better view at the back.

90° ? The real cab can be rotating in 180°. I hope it's just author's unfamiliarity with the real tractor and the Technic model really rotates in 180°.

A car the size of 8880, but costing €300? I have a hard time seeing that without a bunch of PF, the size just isnt there for the mechanical complexity to warrant that price, they could build the thing out of tumbler tires and it still wouldnt be worth it...

Sheepo's Mustang was a 1:8 scale car (which is about the scale of the 8880 as Tibivi pointed out). Without PF it had 3500 parts. Following Lego's simple rule of 10 cent/piece. That would mean a 350 euro set. I can see 300 euro easily doable for Lego, even considering that the IP car most likely won't break the BWE's new record for part count,

Edited by Appie

Sheepo's Mustang was a 1:8 scale car (which is about the scale of the 8880 as Tibivi pointed out). Without PF it had 3500 parts. Following Lego's simple rule of 10 cent/piece. That would mean a 350 euro set. I can see 300 euro easily doable for Lego, even considering that the IP car most likely won't break the BWE's new record for part count,

it is highly questionable. you cannot apply this logic indefinetly. Price will become sooner or later prohibitive, even if you keep 10cent/part ratio.

42030 is not very good seller, because for lots of customers it is simply too expensive. If you make sets for 350, 500 etc no matter how fabulous they would be, number of potential customers will be smaller and smaller and unlike 10cent/part function, which is linear, price/customer pond is not linear forever. At certain price it will stop being profitable to go higher and higher and offer bigger and more expensive.

I am not saying that 300euros is ceiling but for sure at some point you would reach moment when it is better to sell way more boxes for lower price.

it is highly questionable. you cannot apply this logic indefinetly. Price will become sooner or later prohibitive, even if you keep 10cent/part ratio.

42030 is not very good seller, because for lots of customers it is simply too expensive. If you make sets for 350, 500 etc no matter how fabulous they would be, number of potential customers will be smaller and smaller and unlike 10cent/part function, which is linear, price/customer pond is not linear forever. At certain price it will stop being profitable to go higher and higher and offer bigger and more expensive.

I am not saying that 300euros is ceiling but for sure at some point you would reach moment when it is better to sell way more boxes for lower price.

Both my 42030 I bought for 165 euro. Considering it's a 1600-1700 parts that means I got both for 10 cent/part. That was indeed the most expensive set of all I bought, but that came with ALOT of PF. Both my 42043 I got for 160 euro, 2800 parts and among those no cheap parts either (Pneumatics, PF, panels). Well below the 10 cent/part guideline. That some people can't hunt for bargains and go nuts over the suggested retail prices from Lego is not my problem. When I hear a 300 euro price tag, my second thought is: ok, I will find that in no time for 250 euro or less (really no time at all: the first 42030 and first 42043 I got on launch for those prices). Same for the BWE. Already know I can pick that up at launch for about 30-40 euro's below Lego's suggested retail price. Of course if Lego decides to only release the IP car on their site and Lego stores, that will make it more difficult, but then it will be one of the rare sets I buy from Lego directly and I really couldn't care to pay full price for one set when I get every other set for at least 20% off the suggested Lego price.

And again. The 10 cent/part is a guideline. A guideline I think Lego really follows, at least for most Technic sets (the 42009 and 42043 are about the only exceptions). Vectormatic asked what people could do with a set of 300 euro worth of parts, I provided an example of one of Sheepo's models.

Of course less people are likely to buy a big set of 250 euro or more and it might hurt Lego's profit more than it will benefit from it, but going by this forum, seems plenty of people want UCS Technic sets. Which is probably why Lego is giving it a try. It might backfire, it might not.

Edited by Appie

Regading the IP car discussion, I think we should separate a bit from our AFOL community. An iconic car model, which (real ones) is owned by lot people, makes pretty big audience for LEGO as new target group through such product. Also even if it will not sell very well, there is a lot advertising potential in it to reach wider market. Think about it, how many car related media could be involved for an article / TV and internet spot regarding this, with the LEGO logo.

In general I like these sets according to what is mentioned so far. 42051 "A new hope". 42053 smart functions Volvo, 42044 very new beauty.

Given the figures on price and parts its logical to expect BWE is manual but rich functionally which I totally accept and Supercar is full RC and maybe PFv2.

90° ? The real cab can be rotating in 180°. I hope it's just author's unfamiliarity with the real tractor and the Technic model really rotates in 180°.

He could mean 90 degrees from the middle of rotation, i.e. 90 left will put it at the front or 90 right faces the back

Regading the IP car discussion, I think we should separate a bit from our AFOL community. An iconic car model, which (real ones) is owned by lot people, makes pretty big audience for LEGO as new target group through such product. Also even if it will not sell very well, there is a lot advertising potential in it to reach wider market. Think about it, how many car related media could be involved for an article / TV and internet spot regarding this, with the LEGO logo.

This go very well with speed championship line or creator expert vehicle such asi mini cooper or ferrari f40.Maybe fully remote RC car will be another tier.

I'm really excited to see these new sets, they all sound very interesting. The one I am most intrigued by though is the Confidential Technic Ultramotive a.k.a. the Porsche :laugh:

As a petrol head this set sounds like a perfect fit and hopefully it doesn't disappoint. I wonder if this set also has new rims/tires? If it is a Porsche I wonder if it might be the rumored production version of the Mission E Concept...Or perhaps McLaren's answer to the Ferrari F12.

The BWE sounds monstrous in every way and the Xerion... :wub: Lime green, logging crane and new tires. Wow.

I'm really excited to see these new sets, they all sound very interesting. The one I am most intrigued by though is the Confidential Technic Ultramotive a.k.a. the Porsche :laugh:

As a petrol head this set sounds like a perfect fit and hopefully it doesn't disappoint. I wonder if this set also has new rims/tires? If it is a Porsche I wonder if it might be the rumored production version of the Mission E Concept...Or perhaps McLaren's answer to the Ferrari F12.

The BWE sounds monstrous in every way and the Xerion... :wub: Lime green, logging crane and new tires. Wow.

Are we sure it's a logging crane? if that's the case we might get another tree using brown rims :grin: :grin: :grin:

Edited by Kman860

Not a big fan of tractors so I'm skipping this Claas Xerion model, I'm more interested with the Ultimate IP car given that it will spend most of it's time hidden from dusts in my storage I'm still excited to get one. I'm originally against the idea that its going to be a Porsche 911 GT3 because its not as ultimate as the 3 hypercars but given that it has a flat-6 engine, a design Porsche has refined through generations and a German pedigree in its back I might give it a shot. My fingers are still crossed for the Ford GT though it might be unlikely but who knows? It is an on and off program with 3 versions separated by years but each time it resurrects it just keeps getting better. Ferrari is still likely IMO, you have the LaFerrari, FXX K, or even the F12 berlinetta as pointed out earlier in the discussion, all possess different levels of refinement and technology reserved for exclusive clientele. Porsche 918 is another IMHO it also possesses technology, styling and performance reserved for an Ultimate car, even in its 918 RSR concept form it still looks exotic what more if Lego puts up a Martini or Gulf livery to it?

Regarding the Xerion Claas, Beyonce made a prediction in 2008:

If you like it then you should have put a crane on it.

You just won the internet.