Ondra

Technic 2016 Discussion and Speculation

I'd to see the class on the same scale as 42030, similar price but with lots of parts/functionality/attachments with the options to add on PF at extra expense or from existing stores....

Current PF is slow (compared to buggy motors) and the IR, frankly, sucks due to limited range and non-usability outdoors. The new WeDo2/PF2 system is bluetooth, to at a minimum the RC aspect will be much improved. Looks like to be a very flexible platform which may allow 3rd party powered devices as well. Maybe now is the time to start either hoarding PF1, or selling PF1, in anticipation of new full line of PF2 coming soon.

BT module for WeDo is just a subsituation to previous USB one, which had poor performance earlier. I don't think we need to rely on currently introduced BT module too much. There should be something way more powerful for PF2.

The new Wedo has 3v of power, so yes, it can't be useful for power consuming motors in the current PF line.

As on the Xerion I'd like more PF if those are current components

Edited by LXF

For both the Xerion and Volvo, LEGO should not make a B-model, they should just have additional attachments. Maybe a plow and mower deck for tractor and a different arm with grapple.

For both the Xerion and Volvo, LEGO should not make a B-model, they should just have additional attachments. Maybe a plow and mower deck for tractor and a different arm with grapple.

+1

+1

Ok, but what attachments would you like to see for the Xerion. Im thinking plow and mower deck is what they would do. But the plow would not use a PTO unless it moved side to side. The excavator is easy because from the promotional video of the actual machine, it shows possible attachments.

So lets just hear what attachments you would want to see for the Xerion, either directly from LEGO. Or once the Modification topic is started :grin:

Ok, but what attachments would you like to see for the Xerion. Im thinking plow and mower deck is what they would do. But the plow would not use a PTO unless it moved side to side. The excavator is easy because from the promotional video of the actual machine, it shows possible attachments.

So lets just hear what attachments you would want to see for the Xerion, either directly from LEGO. Or once the Modification topic is started :grin:

193399.jpg

With that small thing I am happy :grin:

If seriously , this :

198038.jpg

Edited by LXF

Meaning what exactly, you take apart your Claas or Volvo and build yourself an attachment, which you attach to.... what? you just took apart the a model to build the b model.

please correct me if I'm wrong.

Meaning what exactly, you take apart your Claas or Volvo and build yourself an attachment, which you attach to.... what? you just took apart the a model to build the b model.

please correct me if I'm wrong.

For example, the Xerion tractor would b the base model. But the set would have extra parts for you to be able to make some attachments, let's say a mower deck or plow.

For the Volvo. The excavator superstructure and wheel base would be the base model. But the arm would be interchangeable with different style arms and attachments. Again you wouldn't take apart the base model, you would have extra parts to make the excavator arms and attachments.

For example, the Xerion tractor would b the base model. But the set would have extra parts for you to be able to make some attachments, let's say a mower deck or plow.

For the Volvo. The excavator superstructure and wheel base would be the base model. But the arm would be interchangeable with different style arms and attachments. Again you wouldn't take apart the base model, you would have extra parts to make the excavator arms and attachments.

You mean like in 8063?

Wouldn't count on Lego supplying enough pieces for us to build multiple attachments

Kinda like 8448. You built the chassis and then chose what body to put on top of it.

That would be better for either of those, rather than a b model.p

If I think back to the excavator with clew a few years back that set was pretty good for the money.

I expect that the Volvo may actually use LA's and perhaps the custom option of using the power functions motor to power the gearbox?

It would be cool if it instead it had pneumatics and the PF motor would power the compressor. :classic:

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

that would work great, just one but, I like to take the sets apart to build them from ground up, like the Arocs, the first big set I got, somehow the learning in it is a huge part of the fun.

So I would still take the thing apart and build it from page 1 :)

Given that it is a VC variant, it could have a trailer. A CLAAS CARGOS 8500 (yes, it's suposed to be written like that):

c2ddcb37eaa4437a9201b5df69ad173b.jpg

Sorry if this post gets long, but I wanted to share some examples of what im thinking. For the Xerion, A PTO attachment would be best because the attachment could have a function of some kind.

An example could be a mower

209991.jpg

If LEGO does this model correct, the three point hitch should be pneumatic, since the actual tractor is hydraulic. The three point hitch would be on the front and back of the tractor. The PTO attachments would use the rear three point hitch, but the front one does not usually have a PTO mount.

A good example of a front attachment would be a plow.

191521.jpg

For the excavator, it is very similar. The actual machine has different styles of arms.

It has a one piece boom, your traditional style boom..

maxresdefault.jpg

...an offset boom

Volvo_EW180E.jpg

... A two piece boom

IMG_8336.jpg

and a grapple arm (sorry cant find picture)

Not only does it has all those different arms, it also had different attachments, rotating bucket, and different types of undercarriages.

Edited by aminnich

*SNIP*

Please, could you use spoiler tags? It helps :classic:

[ spoiler ][ /spoiler ]

Aslo, for the pneumatic thing, LAs are better in most cases.

No, I'd have to say for a non motorized model, pneumatics are much better, being more responsive and easier to use. Lego could not have made 8455 the amazing set it is with Linear Actuators.

For attachments, I'd say having the Claas with no B model but different attachments would work, as that is what Lego did with 8110 Unimog. Basically, you have the base vehicle in the set, than a couple of attachments, and then you can take apart the attachments to make other ones.

It'd be really cool if the Volvo had different configurations buildable, but as a small set that seems unlikely. In my opinion, the Volvo deserves a $150 set, over a tractor. Numbers not indicating the set size actually has some precedence. In 2013, both the pullback sets have higher numbers than 42009, the flagship. Even better, in 2010, the flagship had the second lowest number, 8043. Going by numbers alone, some people would assume that 8053 is a larger set than 8043, but that is not the case at all. So, there is the possibility, remote or not, that the Volvo is larger than the Claas. Fingers crossed for that being the case.

My guess is that the Volvo (if there is one) will use the same wheel and tyre as the 42035 mining truck (dualed, so 8 tyres in total). I think this will put it about the right size to get a good throw length from the new long pneumatic cylinders. Wheel + tyre here: http://alpha.bricklink.com/pages/clone/catalogitem.page?P=56145c05&idColor=3#T=I&C=3

Compare to previous technic excavators, and imagine the use of those wheels, would put it about the right size relative to the cylinders, no? http://brickset.com/sets/list-3733

With the introduction of WeDo 2.0 and "all future PF will be compatible with the new platform introduced with WeDo 2.0." Could the IP car be introducing PF 2.0?

http://www.technicbr...-of-pf.html?m=1

Now this would be interesting, since it would probably mean WeDo, NXT, EV3 and PF stuff working nicely together. I just wonder whether widespread use of those RJ12-style connectors will prove to be a major pain due to the easily breakable connector latches. On the other hand, the Mindstorms line has already had them for quite a while.

Some more ideas for attachments for the Xerion:

Looking forward to this set now. Edited by technicfan

About Volvo is that in my opinion it will use the new pneumatic system as there would be no point to have them developed only for the Mercedes purpose - as most sets in the future would use them.

Regards