Ondra

Technic 2016 Discussion and Speculation

Oh, yes I meant 42051, sorry.

just a heads up, in case you guys have not purchased....several technic sets are marked as EOL and will be discontinued in january,

so its best to treat yourself to an xmas prezzie :-)

i disagree with that because it has those great blue peices!

if they actually were Blue parts that would be great!...but they are not, bloody light turquoise....a usless colour that you will never reuse in MOCs because there is not enough parts in that colour. i would have prefered normal Blue or even the Light blue colour so as we would have more parts in that shade of blue.

By analysing the current Technic line, I would say that the problem is way deeper than that.

42039 : poorly designed model. Looks like a sketch model where tons of improvements still had to be done before it is released

42042 : not a bad model, but specifications with a very obvious rookie mistake

42050 : this product is an insult to all skilled builders there are out there

42051 : canceled. plain and simple.

It appears to me that the Technic team lacks some ressources to develop the models correctly. By ressources, I mean time, people, or skill, etc.

100% agree on 42050...ugly set, badly designed, useless functions....a waste of decent parts.

42039....disagree, should you can do modding and add stuff, but the finished product is still great....but the prelim model was way better.

just a heads up, in case you guys have not purchased....several technic sets are marked as EOL and will be discontinued in january,

so its best to treat yourself to an xmas prezzie :-)

This happens every year. It has nothing to do with the 2016 sets.

100% agree on 42050...ugly set, badly designed, useless functions....a waste of decent parts.

42039....disagree, should you can do modding and add stuff, but the finished product is still great....but the prelim model was way better.

Let's end the discussion about past sets and personal preferences. Let's stick to the new sets!

I've just inspected the size of the bucket in the Arocs and the mini turntable. If the Volvo turns out to use that bucket, I think the most reasonable wheels to go with it would be those in 42008 or 42024, to ensure the proportions of the real vehicle.

I've just inspected the size of the bucket in the Arocs and the mini turntable. If the Volvo turns out to use that bucket, I think the most reasonable wheels to go with it would be those in 42008 or 42024, to ensure the proportions of the real vehicle.

Probably correct with the wheel size. I was hoping with Volvo on it, it would be larger... :thumbdown:

having in mind the technological complex functions of the real Volvo excavator it should be made as one of or even the one flagship model on H2.... I am worried that it may be somehow disappointment

having in mind the technological complex functions of the real Volvo excavator it should be made as one of or even the one flagship model on H2.... I am worried that it may be somehow disappointment

Im still hoping that the ip car will be the flagship for 2h 2016

Skipping the 42050 I don't like Funny Cars at all, bought the 42046 and 42047 (two of it) to build the combi model and the police car. I am waiting for the 42052 to come out here in the US in a couple of days, I like the fresh design of the helicopter and I never had a helicopter set from Lego to begin with so this is a welcome addition to my little collection. Then you have the interesting lineup for 2H, not a big fan of construction vehicles except for an Articulated Hauler (Lego needs to make a proper one with a closed bed, large tires, piston engine), Bulldozer (Caterpillar D9-style). I am hoping the IP Ultimate Car is one of the 3 hypercars produced or their concept versions (Porsche 918 RSR), I know many of us hopes its a G63 AMG 6x6 which is very cool but with an existing Arocs 3245 in the mix, I think Lego will use the Mercedes-Benz partnership to create trucks or off-roaders (Unimog, G-Wagen) though I may be wrong as Mercedes-Benz had the SLS AMG for a while and has the AMG GT with an SLS AMG successor due before the decade ends. Let's just hope Lego will not screw up the Ultimate IP Car.

Edited by MrPaulo23

Skipping the 42050 I don't like Funny Cars at all, bought the 42046 and 42047 (two of it) to build the combi model and the police car. I am waiting for the 42052 to come out here in the US in a couple of days, I like the fresh design of the helicopter and I never had a helicopter set from Lego to begin with so this is a welcome addition to my little collection. Then you have the interesting lineup for 2H, not a big fan of construction vehicles except for an Articulated Hauler (Lego needs to make a proper one with a closed bed, large tires, piston engine), Bulldozer (Caterpillar D9-style). I am hoping the IP Ultimate Car is one of the 3 hypercars produced or their concept versions (Porsche 918 RSR), I know many of us hopes its a G63 AMG 6x6 which is very cool but with an existing Arocs 3245 in the mix, I think Lego will use the Mercedes-Benz partnership to create trucks or off-roaders (Unimog, G-Wagen) though I may be wrong as Mercedes-Benz had the SLS AMG for a while and has the AMG GT with an SLS AMG successor due before the decade ends. Let's just hope Lego will not screw up the Ultimate IP Car.

hopfully it will be a red ferrari or a red lamboregini or something like that!

for an Articulated Hauler (Lego needs to make a proper one with a closed bed, large tires, piston engine)

Build the articulated hauler of Designer Han, it has all what you wish and even more. I doubt TLG could rsp. would make it better. IMHO one of the best construction machine MOCs out there. A real flagship. Comes with professional BI.

If previous years are anything to go by then yes, usually images start floating around in private (not shared publicly by the good fans anywhere) between 26th December - 1st January. This is where a few lucky people manage to see them and everyone else gets to annoy Jim by asking for pictures! This year took a few weeks longer than last year for the first half set pictures to appear.

Huh, do you have pictures Allan?! Can you send me? I will mail you. Where are the pictures? Me needs the picturezzzz

:wink:

The Nuremberg Toy Fair is where the new models will be presneted. Usually images will surface after that. However, not publicly, like Allan said. So, it's simply a matter of being patient. And no, I don't get early access or something, so I see them when you do.

I think all the hate being directed at 42050 is a little unfair. It comes with some great parts, it's trying to do something different, and its designer (Aurelien "Rou" Rouffiange) hasn't done many big models - in fact, I think the only relatively large set he did before now is 42038 - and to be honest I think he's done an okay job. There are less impressive sets out there.

Maaboo, you have to admit, the set lacks in some areas, a few areas - the looks, the colour, somehow strange functions. Giving it the tires everyone is excited about probably meant to cover up some of the shortcomings. The 42050 is probably the worst set of the 1h 2015 bunch and there's always someone getting the blame for all that's bad in the world - this time it's the funny car - not so funny on the european side of the pond.

Maaboo, you have to admit, the set lacks in some areas, a few areas - the looks, the colour, somehow strange functions. Giving it the tires everyone is excited about probably meant to cover up some of the shortcomings. The 42050 is probably the worst set of the 1h 2015 bunch and there's always someone getting the blame for all that's bad in the world - this time it's the funny car - not so funny on the european side of the pond.

Good points, true. Someone likes it, though - it's the July picture on the LEGO 2016 calendar! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

i think the dragster is great! and where else would you get tulmber tires if you dont like superhero sets and if you dont have a bricklink account?

Huh, do you have pictures Allan?! Can you send me? I will mail you. Where are the pictures? Me needs the picturezzzz

:wink:

The Nuremberg Toy Fair is where the new models will be presneted. Usually images will surface after that. However, not publicly, like Allan said. So, it's simply a matter of being patient. And no, I don't get early access or something, so I see them when you do.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: This is one of my favorite posts of your Jim!

I actually don't mind 42050. It's not the best looking set, but I get why the front is built like it is. Since the body lifts up and isn't connected to the chassis, the nose needs to be build strong enough to be smashed into walls and such. The wheele function is kinda lame, and I wish we didn't have another shade of blue, but otherwise, it's not bad.

On the other hand, the mine loader has some major design flaws, and I'm surprised it made it past LEGO's quality control tests. There are some pretty rookie mistakes in that design.

The biggest flaw in the design is the use of the red 6L axle with the u-joints to control the grabber. The grabber uses 5L beams in parallel for the up/down movement, so the axle between the u-joints should be a 3L, for a total distance of 5L. By using a 6L axle, for a total of 8L between u-joints, extra stress is being placed on the axles and u-joints.

The rear axle is a very weak design as well. The thin 4L beams are prone to cracking already, and the way they are mounted is the weakest possible way. It's not going to take much to crack those 4L thin beams.

Then there is also the lack of a differential and the poor controls, but that is more personal preference than poor design I suppose.

I do like the new fender pieces though.

The biggest flaw in the design is the use of the red 6L axle with the u-joints to control the grabber. The grabber uses 5L beams in parallel for the up/down movement, so the axle between the u-joints should be a 3L, for a total distance of 5L. By using a 6L axle, for a total of 8L between u-joints, extra stress is being placed on the axles and u-joints.

The rear axle is a very weak design as well. The thin 4L beams are prone to cracking already, and the way they are mounted is the weakest possible way. It's not going to take much to crack those 4L thin beams.

Ok, I do understand what you mean with the thin 4L's in the rear 'suspension'.

But don't know what you mean about the 6L axle in the grager control, I do see where it is, what it does, but why change it and how exactly?

I am new to all this, so maybe it's just something everyone else can see, so please do explain.

Thx