Ondra

Technic 2016 Discussion and Speculation

I think I'll leave my table as it is, regardless of how disappointed I might be with the possibility of the Volvo being a mid-range set.

(ヘ・_・)ヘ┳━┳

Recent years have seen 2H consist of a "proper" flagship and a set comparable to the 1H flagship in size and parts count. This Ultimate IP Car does complicate things, but even then not every set in a release can be large-scale with 1000+ pieces.

Really, some of you are so proud of your anger about a children's toy? :shrug_confused:

Lego Technic is more than a children's toy :wink:

The reason why fire truck was canceled?Look in the new 1H 2016 catalogue... They included a lot of older 2015 sets in catalogue. So fire truck had no space more or was a concurence for older sets...
There is no mystery here. Catalogs always include last year's models. The last one even had 42009, which is from 2013. This is definitely not THE reason - as they would rearrange, scale or move models to make space for just one middle range set.

Could be wrong, but makes you wonder if the fire truck is not cancelled, but will end up being a TRU exclusive or something like this? This catalogue is more of a retailers catalogue, there is no sign of the exclusive sets like the new modular bank, and even some of the City sets are missing, (actually another small fire truck is missing)

I think this happened before with the Technic racing truck.

I doubt there would be structural problems. To me that is something that would get caught during the initial design and qc.

What if there were issue getting the boxes or manuals ready in time? Or TLG overestimated demand, and had to scrap the airport fire truck in order to get the rest of production out?

What if there were issue getting the boxes or manuals ready in time? Or TLG overestimated demand, and had to scrap the airport fire truck in order to get the rest of production out?

By analysing the current Technic line, I would say that the problem is way deeper than that.

42039 : poorly designed model. Looks like a sketch model where tons of improvements still had to be done before it is released

42042 : not a bad model, but specifications with a very obvious rookie mistake

42050 : this product is an insult to all skilled builders there are out there

42051 : canceled. plain and simple.

It appears to me that the Technic team lacks some ressources to develop the models correctly. By ressources, I mean time, people, or skill, etc.

By analysing the current Technic line, I would say that the problem is way deeper than that.

Feel free to explain why ;)

Edited by GoldVillage

42039 : poorly designed model. Looks like a sketch model where tons of improvements still had to be done before it is released

42052 : canceled. plain and simple.

It appears to me that the Technic team lacks some ressources to develop the models correctly. By ressources, I mean time, people, or skill, etc.

I really disagree on 42039, it has its flaws, but all of those are cosmetic, and correctable, from a technic/feature point of view it is easily on par with its predecessor 42000. And honestly, modding a set is a great experience, and a personalized model will always beat standard lego design for me.

on 42042, i understand that the cabin is on the wrong side etc.. but honestly, as a non-crane enthusiast, this set reaaaaaally hits it out of the park for me, it might not be accurate enough for the real crane enthusiasts among us, but again, MODding is half of what being an AFOL is to me.

Agreed on 50 though, poor poor set, i like three things about it, and two of those are tumbler tires..

I really disagree on 42039, it has its flaws, but all of those are cosmetic, and correctable, from a technic/feature point of view it is easily on par with its predecessor 42000. And honestly, modding a set is a great experience, and a personalized model will always beat standard lego design for me.

Moding a product is certainly something fun.

But this is not the point of a Lego product in the first place.

I mean for example, when you buy a car, even if you can replace/repare all the wheels/tires yourself, you do not buy a new car without wheels... When you buy something (whatever it is), you are not supposed to do the job of the guy who you bought the product to...

on 42042, i understand that the cabin is on the wrong side etc.. but honestly, as a non-crane enthusiast, this set reaaaaaally hits it out of the park for me, it might not be accurate enough for the real crane enthusiasts among us, but again, MODding is half of what being an AFOL is to me.

lol.

The cabin is not really really not what I had in mind. No one cares about the cabine. Left or right cabine, it is the same thing for a toy.

Moding a product is certainly something fun.

But this is not the point of a Lego product in the first place.

I mean for example, when you buy a car, even if you can replace/repare all the wheels/tires yourself, you do not buy a new car without wheels... When you buy something (whatever it is), you are not supposed to do the job of the guy who you bought the product to...

Lego isnt a car though, its a hobby (which cars are for certain people as well, hell, Toyota sells their GT86 in special tuners version with unpainted bumpers and steel wheels in japan), and part of that is outgrowing Lego's designs and modifying them, and growing into MOCing

As for doing the job its meant to do, the problem with 42039 is purely aesthetics imho, which is right there on the box. And to a non-purist, it totally looks like a convincing racing/LMP car

lol.

The cabin is not really really not what I had in mind. No one cares about the cabine. Left or right cabine, it is the same thing for a toy.

Fair enough, as i said, im not into cranes at all, i just happen to really like that set, my entire technic collection is race cars and motorcycles, but here i am, considering a crane

What did you have in mind?

Would be sweet if the tractor came with a manual pneumatic pump or 2 and lots of pneumatic features. We haven't had a manual pump since 2010.

Would be sweet if the tractor came with a manual pneumatic pump or 2 and lots of pneumatic features. We haven't had a manual pump since 2010.

I thought of that some time ago... It would be interesting...

What if the set itself doesn't have pneumatics in-set, but they plan on releasing some sort of pneumatic add-on set, something in the lines of that PF set that had contents to motorice some sets?

Think a bit. Analyze technical choices and I am sure you can figure out what's wrong with the specifications. :)

Hm so that is not so obvious. I give up.

I thought of that some time ago... It would be interesting...

What if the set itself doesn't have pneumatics in-set, but they plan on releasing some sort of pneumatic add-on set, something in the lines of that PF set that had contents to motorice some sets?

I doubt it.

Hm so that is not so obvious. I give up.

The model can't steer and it's not remote controlled (as it was stated in the specifications? I haven't checked it, just read from the reply Anio posted).

Did you mean this one? U.K. s@h shows it available from 31st December or have I missed something ?

Agreed on 50 though, poor poor set, i like three things about it, and two of those are tumbler tires..

i disagree with that because it has those great blue peices!

Dont you mean 42051 the fire truck not 42052 the helicopter? Edited by Babaloveslego55

That's what I was going to say, there was a mix up with the number. So, Anio is always reffering to 42051 even if he typed 42052.

Also, what makes 42050 a less good set for me is the price. It should be $60 not $80.

That's what I was going to say, there was a mix up with the number. So, Anio is always reffering to 42051 even if he typed 42052.

Also, what makes 42050 a less good set for me is the price. It should be $60 not $80.

Im going to look on amazon for it, because you usellay find lego technic for a bargen on amazon after a mounth or two!

Im going to look on amazon for it, because you usellay find lego technic for a bargen on amazon after a mounth or two!

Lucky you, amazon won't post Lego to Australia :(