Ondra

Technic 2016 Discussion and Speculation

I would hope for a new, non IR control system, that will be used in other sets. It may be that this is actually a launching platform for an expanded series of PF components, much like 8275 back in 2007.

Cool it and you won't get disappointed. No new fancy non IR/proper RC parts are coming. LEGO parts aren't up to that (they aren't even up to buggy motor standards - and that is rather poor in the RC world), so no - TLG is not gonna re-design the entire Technic range (with metal parts and bearings) so you can race your cars at +30MPH

Chill with all that remote stuff, it's not what LEGO is about anyway. Pick up another hobby, if you want that. RC cars would be a good one :thumbup: I enjoy that a boatload :laugh:

Can't tell what I know, but I do now some folks here will get sorely disappointed with the 'big' sets :sceptic:

Don't know jack about that "300USD IP car" btw .. the rest I did know. But TLG is not as nice as they used to be :devil:

Have fun speculating ya heads off :grin:

Cheers,

Ole

Yes,it is - btm 3 trench digger

Looks like the B model of 42028....only that was yellow

Cool it and you won't get disappointed. No new fancy non IR/proper RC parts are coming. LEGO parts aren't up to that (they aren't even up to buggy motor standards - and that is rather poor in the RC world), so no - TLG is not gonna re-design the entire Technic range (with metal parts and bearings) so you can race your cars at +30MPH

Chill with all that remote stuff, it's not what LEGO is about anyway. Pick up another hobby, if you want that. RC cars would be a good one :thumbup: I enjoy that a boatload :laugh:

Can't tell what I know, but I do now some folks here will get sorely disappointed with the 'big' sets :sceptic:

Don't know jack about that "300USD IP car" btw .. the rest I did know. But TLG is not as nice as they used to be :devil:

Cheers,

Ole

If you can not/will not reveal any information, why bother telling anybody about it? It just screams as if you are asking for attention, or at least are trolling us. If you have information, it would be nice of you to reveal what you can. If you can't, you may as well not have it, and should act accordingly.

That aside, I'm not asking for any of that. I don't want my Lego creations to be on par with RC cars. I just want a remote control system that isn't blocked by direct sunlight. Honestly, the Lego Power Functions system is very high quality, for what it is, except for the remotes and receivers. I don't want RC level motors. I don't even want motors on the level of buggy motors. I just want a system that fits the current motors. Lego is a quality product, and I feel that the current receivers let that down. Plus, a set of that size has to have a feature that would let people justify the price tag. Lacking any other information, new parts like that would be a good selling point. Also, your point of RC stuff not being what Lego is about is completely wrong. It may not be what other lines are about, but it is a large part of Technic. Most everybody on this forum has complained at length about the poor quality of the PF receivers, and Lego has done, albeit in a limited manner, stuff for builders that is not included in sets, namely the rechargeable battery box. Plus, with the advent of SBrick, that may have demonstrated that there is a market for better receivers, and Lego might want to go after that.

Further, in regards to the Ultimate IP car, I'm not so sure that a licensed product would be enough to justify the theoretical $300 price tag. It works in Star Wars, but there are far more Star Wars fans than Technic fans, and UCS sets also appeal to some people who otherwise aren't into Lego. I'm fairly certain that there is a large amount of overlap between car fans and Technic fans, but I'm not sure how large that group would be. But, that is just speculation by observation, and I am sure Lego did there math on this.

As to what the car could actually be, I'd wager a 2016 Ford GT. In 2016, Ford will celebrate the 50th anniversary of their Le Mans wins in 1966, and they are putting out a new version of the GT for that. There is a possibility that they could be collaborating with Lego to make a model, but this, again, is speculation.

The IP car. If there won't be any, do you know the others' piece count (if I don't bother you)?

I have to regroup with my Lego collection, in the past two years I have amassed sets that I like and really desire to have in place of the ones I missed out during my dark ages, I love big challenging sets and if the 42056 is that alley I'll have that set, pullbacks have served as donor sets for my bigger sets but the 42010 has always have a special place, hope one of the pullbacks will look good, would love to see that Airport rescue truck, sounds interesting, though I hope it will have a working suspension system, as for the 42056 I am hoping for a 4WD setup, mid-mounted V8 or V-10 sounds good but if Lego is cooking something like this, an exotic or German or probably an Italian might be with it, say Porsche with it's 918 Spyder or the 918 RSR racer concept from 2011, could be an Audi R8 but it looks bland, probably a Lambo which I hope to be an Aventador (but that beast looks sharps in every corner, a license once existed with the Racers theme), Ferrari is another strong candidate (think F12berlinetta, or LaFerrari but screw it the F70 is already produced as a Lego Speed Champions set), an unlikely car could be another German, we all know Lego has been working with Mercedes-Benz Trucks, so I will not be surprised if Lego cooks something again (though unlikely) with MB in the form of the SLS AMG or the current AMG GT, Porsche still has one car up it's sleeve that might be the basis of the 42056, the Carrera GT, perfect layout RWD, V10 and long low slung body to cope with the current Lego engine block design.

Out of the blue, could the 2017 Ford GT be a basis too? Long low slung body, RWD, V6 (Lego hasn't done a V6 supercar right?) But we haven't seen an American license from the Technic line, sound unlikely but why not? This 42056 just tickles me.

Further, in regards to the Ultimate IP car, I'm not so sure that a licensed product would be enough to justify the theoretical $300 price tag. It works in Star Wars, but there are far more Star Wars fans than Technic fans, and UCS sets also appeal to some people who otherwise aren't into Lego. I'm fairly certain that there is a large amount of overlap between car fans and Technic fans, but I'm not sure how large that group would be. But, that is just speculation by observation, and I am sure Lego did there math on this.

As to what the car could actually be, I'd wager a 2016 Ford GT. In 2016, Ford will celebrate the 50th anniversary of their Le Mans wins in 1966, and they are putting out a new version of the GT for that. There is a possibility that they could be collaborating with Lego to make a model, but this, again, is speculation.

I'm thinking of the same too but we have never seen an American license aside from the deals with Hollywood movies, a 2017 Ford GT fits the bill well aside from other brands, Ultimate IP Car, lets see - you have the Holy Trinity of sports cars namely

Porsche 918 Spyder

Ferrari LaFerrari

McLaren P1

but an F12Berlinetta, Lamborghini Aventador, Porsche 918 RSR or even the wildcard Ford GT can serve the basis for the Ultimate IP Car, RWD or AWD check, 6 - 12 cylinders with gas or hybrid tech check, swooping heritage and futuristic designs check. Oh well 1 more month.

Cheers,

Ole

if you want those non ir recivers get an sbrick

If you can not/will not reveal any information, why bother telling anybody about it? It just screams as if you are asking for attention, or at least are trolling us. If you have information, it would be nice of you to reveal what you can. If you can't, you may as well not have it, and should act accordingly.

That aside, I'm not asking for any of that. I don't want my Lego creations to be on par with RC cars. I just want a remote control system that isn't blocked by direct sunlight. Honestly, the Lego Power Functions system is very high quality, for what it is, except for the remotes and receivers. I don't want RC level motors. I don't even want motors on the level of buggy motors. I just want a system that fits the current motors. Lego is a quality product, and I feel that the current receivers let that down. Plus, a set of that size has to have a feature that would let people justify the price tag. Lacking any other information, new parts like that would be a good selling point. Also, your point of RC stuff not being what Lego is about is completely wrong. It may not be what other lines are about, but it is a large part of Technic. Most everybody on this forum has complained at length about the poor quality of the PF receivers, and Lego has done, albeit in a limited manner, stuff for builders that is not included in sets, namely the rechargeable battery box. Plus, with the advent of SBrick, that may have demonstrated that there is a market for better receivers, and Lego might want to go after that.

if you want a non ir receiver get an sbrick

That aside, I'm not asking for any of that. I don't want my Lego creations to be on par with RC cars. I just want a remote control system that isn't blocked by direct sunlight. Honestly, the Lego Power Functions system is very high quality, for what it is, except for the remotes and receivers. I don't want RC level motors. I don't even want motors on the level of buggy motors. I just want a system that fits the current motors. Lego is a quality product, and I feel that the current receivers let that down.

Couldn't agree more! However, it seems nothing like that will appear on the IP car. :thumbdown:

For the 2H sets, I reckon below:

Volvo wheel excavator: parts count/price like 42042/42008, the second biggest set(except IP car) of 2016. Using the new V2 pneumatic parts.

Bucket Wheel excavator: a small/mid size set, something like 42028. Large machine does not mean large model. :wink:

Also, larger set number does not mean larger model either, such as 42010, 42011, 42028, 42026 etc.

Tractor: 2H flagship, remote controlled, I think the 94mm offroad tires will return, while the power puller wheel most likely not.

IP car: It's an unusual set, so it's the hardest to predict. Like other guys said, $300 means a LOT! Parts number, new exclusive parts, limited edition,

new PF(almost impossible though),Have no clue at all. But I personally am not a collector, only interested in parts to MOC,

so I will pass it if it only has plenty of plain parts.

Edited by falconluan

You said it bro. Right on! TLG should listen more to it's fanbase on this.

anybody else caught the technic plane at around 00:43? Lego is working with some display team airplane right? but the deal with i8 I don't quite get it, yes it the future of the supercar with all the crazy gadgetry it has but as an ultimate supercar by today's standard I'm not sure with this approach, would appreciate it more if followed the gesture of a 2017 Ford GT, Ferrari LaFerrari, Lexus LFA, Lamborghini Aventador or the Sesto Elemento, Porsche 918 RSR or Spyder, or the McLaren P1/ 570GTS. But then again if Lego is trying to achieve something with the set 42056 like size and integration of PF RC features, the i8 I think is not an oddball - it's AWD, there's a little 3-cylinder engine, upfront or somewhere in the set PF motors can be put, it's a scissor-type opening door.

I got one more crazy idea about this 42056, the Jaguar C-X75 might fit the bill too, long swooping body, 4-cylinder mated to a gas turbine engine which can be mocked up in the set as a pair of XL-Motors or L-Motors. Oh well.

I don't why the IP car should be the BMW i8... this commercial got nothing to do with that... They wanted to put something futuristic in commercial so they put the i8...

Max...

Sheepo made outstanding i8 http://www.sheepo.es/2015/07/bmw-i8-spyder.html .Also lego with BMW make huge brickbuild i8 so there is possibility that BMW want to promote final version of i8 as set, Ithink this cannot be coincidence that they use this car in technic commercial.

Lets wait and we will see...

I don't why the IP car should be the BMW i8... this commercial got nothing to do with that... They wanted to put something futuristic in commercial so they put the i8...

Max...

I think that there is patent for i8 body so if lego use it without license, they will going to have some issues wit bmw.As I said there is ongoing collaboration with bmw so they probably asked bmw or bmw asked lego.But still why they use i8 is mystery, they can made noname supercar.I think this is some kind of hint...

edit-Maybe that IP car is some kind of autonomous vehicle or vehicle with mindstorms elements, to promote that innovation at play.This can justify that price, or its really complex...

Edited by Ondra

Bucket Wheel excavator: a small/mid size set, something like 42028. Large machine does not mean large model. :wink:

Can you imagine biggest landmachine ever as smallest lego technic set?This will be very bad set...Also I never saw BWE MOC that use small number of parts, I think its impossible to archieve every function in small size, probably is but it will be pretty shitty.

.Also when lego started with five digit number , there is order in set list.Higher number mean higher price.Except two pullback racers from first year when they started with this

Volvo can be smallest, this can be archieved with pneumatic parts easily.Power functions can be optional,

Xerion can be something like red pickup from two years before.Same tyres and piece count.

BWE flagship for second half. :classic:

I agree. I just don't see a tractor flagship being all that interesting. Unless somebody says something any different, I think the order above makes the most sense.

Bucket wheel excavators are so large in real life that such a set from Lego should be of a decent size. I'd say it should match 42042 Crawler Crane at least.

Am I the only one that thinks that the "Ultimate" 300€ set should have been the BuWeEx and not the car?

And I agree in everything that Ondra said.