Ondra

Technic 2016 Discussion and Speculation

I like panels a lot, of course they should not hide the mechanics completely. For me the perfect combination was the 8043.

I dont think using panels is less challenging, and they do add more realistic appearance, which is a way of evolution need to be done to reach new standards and needs nowadays.

I really hope, Sariel will make reviews for new sets. :)

I don't mind all the panels. They help me make better MOCs. I do like all the colors we are getting as of late.

I like panels as well, helps the models and MOCs look more finnished. The colors are nice as well, but TLG only gives us a partial set in some colors. Can't have it all I guess. :laugh:

Well, you are clearly forgetting the awesome 8454 Rescue Truck, which this new set tries to improve, and I hope it will :)

Yes!...such an awesome set and clearly the new one is inspired by it!

8454-1.jpg

I like panels as well, helps the models and MOCs look more finnished. The colors are nice as well, but TLG only gives us a partial set in some colors. Can't have it all I guess. :laugh:

Well...we keep getting more parts in light Blue, we now have some panels and beams. So if they keep releasing sets in that colour we will eventually have enough parts to make complete MOCs.

Exactly this is what I said earlier. My guess is they are going for more panels - less beams. This helps make thinner plastic and less cost. I'm waiting to see the sets weights compared to similar price and/or piece count in the past. I hope Technic does not turn into the LEGO Friends for males.

I agree...there does seem to be a trend the last few years that more and more panels are beubg used. And we keep getting newly designed panels....we have had 3 in recent years.

So, exciting things for 2016H1 are:

New panels

Old panels in new colors

Tumbler tires

7L flex axles

I'm a bit disappointed with helicopter, since it is white again. Could have been blue, since we are missing quite a lot of common parts in this color.

I think the fire truck used 7L flexible hoses in Red....not seen for several years now.

Probably because a technic ladder would be too bulky

It reminds me of 8289

It is much closer to 8454 in design....its an Airport fire truck as opposed to a conventional one.

Jaysus!.....that cargo copter has over 30 panels!!!!!!

I wonder if the airport fire truck has a V6 engine in the back?....and the back section can be raised to view the engine?....like 8454.

I also think the LBG panel lift upwards so you can use HOG to raise and turn the water cannon.

It might use a small turntable to rotate the water cannon 360 by one knob gear, and another knob gear raises and lowers the boom section.

Then probably some manual feature on the actual water cannon, like move it up or down and side to side slightly.

Yes!...such an awesome set and clearly the new one is inspired by it!

8454-1.jpg

Well...we keep getting more parts in light Blue, we now have some panels and beams. So if they keep releasing sets in that colour we will eventually have enough parts to make complete MOCs.

If is the key word here. :thumbup: I really hope they do. :classic:

The stunt plane looks awesome!....probably only 160 parts, but it looks pretty big with the use of panels,

i see 6 small white panels, only seen thus far on 42043, and 2 large white panels.

excellent use of stickers....really cool looking set!

Panels make sets and MOCs look better and lighter. As long as it doesn't affect complexity, better than ye olde beams.

And I don't think that the fire truck will have a piston engine. If it has, it would probably be an unrealistic V4 engine.

It would seem odd to me that the Fire truck only has the function of the water cannon on the roof. All that space in the back has to hold something else. Right? Or am I just being too hopeful?

True, panels are good to have, but when this involves reduction of LAs this is a problem and I don't consider it evolution. Especially for the future people LAs will become scarce and expensive. Imagine buying a 1000 parts set to only get some 20 9-15 LAs. LAs are the building block of Technic and what makes it cool. Panels are nice for edge shaping but are boring if the whole body is made out of them, doesn't taste LEGO-ish to me. For instance, the above picture of the 8454 compared to 8289:

8289-1.jpg

For me 8289 has much more interesting build involving LAs and some bricks. Another example: when the seat of 42051 is just one L panel rather than some LA structure with possibilities of single or 2 colors, which is more interesting?

Anyway I hope this isn't the case. We will only know when the sets' inventories and weights are known.

It would seem odd to me that the Fire truck only has the function of the water cannon on the roof. All that space in the back has to hold something else. Right? Or am I just being too hopeful?

there might be a tool box like 60002 :laugh: . Lego will tell you: Our audience is kids :laugh:

Just joking, we have to wait to see.

Edited by Samer

Especially for the future people LAs will become scarce and expensive. Imagine buying a 1000 parts set to only get some 20 9-15 LAs. LAs are the building block of Technic and what makes it cool.

liftarm or linear actuator?

They're probably just trying something new. If they didn't, we'd all complain that the only new angled panels introduced in 2015 were scarce because they existed for one year only. I believe your statement about getting rid of liftarms is wide of the mark anyway - panels tend to fill in gaps that would probably have otherwise been left open. Even in really great MOCs, you never saw huge walls of liftarms (possibly lucio switch excluded) so unless the design philosophy changes, there's not much effect on the result except for look.

I've not seen panels used as structural elements yet either in the sense that you can't build orthogonal structure or gear trains around and through them like you can with liftarms.

tldr: probably the same kind of angst that was seen when technic bricks were replaced with liftarms. It was not much more than a change in direction.

liftarm or linear actuator?

They're probably just trying something new. If they didn't, we'd all complain that the only new angled panels introduced in 2015 were scarce because they existed for one year only. I believe your statement about getting rid of liftarms is wide of the mark anyway - panels tend to fill in gaps that would probably have otherwise been left open. Even in really great MOCs, you never saw huge walls of liftarms (possibly lucio switch excluded) so unless the design philosophy changes, there's not much effect on the result except for look.

I've not seen panels used as structural elements yet either in the sense that you can't build orthogonal structure or gear trains around and through them like you can with liftarms.

tldr: probably the same kind of angst that was seen when technic bricks were replaced with liftarms. It was not much more than a change in direction.

by LA I meant Liftarms, I saw it in a post and thought it Lift Arms, but from your question I can tell now it was meant in the post Linear acutator :laugh: I'm new to the culture, :laugh: pardon my noob ignorance.

About your points: The switch from bricks to Liftarms served a technical purpose of allowing smaller structure and ridding of the useless studs on the body.

I don't agree there isn't big builds with liftarms, I see that all the time in best MOCs.

Edit: My main worry is not panels for themselves, its if the intention is to reduce weight and cost.

Edited by Samer

Come to think of it, the only fire truck from lego technic is 8289, so this new set should be interesting.

and the one has more curves and look more modern, albeit with lots of panel.

Don't forget the charm of the 8280 either. That style of thing with one of Sariel's pressurised water cannon would be a fun toy.

I think the biggest disappointment for me is the continual increase in sticker use year after year. Without stickers most of the newer sets are just a bunch of panels.

Bring back flex axles and actual DESIGN.

Lego technic is not trying to make their sets more with panels look at the small sets of 2015 there is not many lift arms in those they are just trying to aim for a younger audience so that their parents can afford them,

But with the bigger sets eg 42043 42042 there are more lift arms because they are aiming for a older audience because they can afford them.

Edited by Babaloveslego55

Lego technic is not trying to make their sets more with panels look at the small sets of 2015 there is not many lift arms in those they are just trying to aim for a younger audience so that their parents can afford them,

But with the bigger sets eg 42043 42042 there are more lift arms because they are aiming for a older audience because they can afford them.

As we already can see, more panels & more decals and less functions doesnt make it cheapier... ok cheapier for them to make it, but not cheapier for us.

Whenever you see Jim post something, you know for sure some people are digressing.

That's definitely true for this topic :wink:

Sorry Jim

No worries. Just pointing out there's a dedicated topic :sweet::thumbup:

Is there any steering on the dragster?

According to the description at the Toys R Us website, it does have steering..

Wheelie from the start line to the finish with the high-powered Drag Racer, featuring a vivid-blue and black colour scheme with flame stickers, working steering and a detailed V8 engine with moving pistons. The body shell of this is robust 2-in-1 LEGO Technic model can be lifted to reveal the chassis, exhaust pipes and working transmission. Upgrade with the 8293 Power Functions motor set (not supplied) for motorized driving and wheelie functionality. Rebuild into a Supercharged Dragster for a double build-and-play experience.

Any idea how the wheelie function can be achieved using the M-motor? Just plug it directly to the rear wheels? I don't think the M-motor can generate enough torque.

It can ... if BBox is mounted far rear at the back of the dragter ... the center of gravity will do the rest ...

Edited by AndroTech

According to the description at the Toys R Us website, it does have steering..

Wheelie from the start line to the finish with the high-powered Drag Racer, featuring a vivid-blue and black colour scheme with flame stickers, working steering and a detailed V8 engine with moving pistons. The body shell of this is robust 2-in-1 LEGO Technic model can be lifted to reveal the chassis, exhaust pipes and working transmission. Upgrade with the 8293 Power Functions motor set (not supplied) for motorized driving and wheelie functionality. Rebuild into a Supercharged Dragster for a double build-and-play experience.

Can u provide the link to ToysrUs with the descriptions? I couldn't find that.