CMP

Heroica RPG - Quest #140: Requiem for a Machine

"Bar's the best place to hear stories," he starts. "You two look like you've got a few. What's a Helsinger, though?"

19880952753_3d035eefd4_t.jpg

"A bard, who lives to slay the dead: 'twas a path I no longer tread."

19879196284_870dc8a030_t.jpg

"A name bestowed by grateful folk she saved. But now her goal's to drink and sing all day."

"And damn if I'm not good at it."

"A day once came when vivacious Val sought a corpse to kill;

But she did not know the (handsome) corpse also hunted dead.

In Babeleth they fought a fight, atop an ancient hill.

It drew phantoms, they slew them all, now they're lovers instead."

OoC: So I guess Keliim could take his own weapons inside but not the other heroes weapons?

Keliim nods his head and makes a gesture with his hand from his forehead to the ogre as he walks into the Locale.

"Thanks, I knew thou be a great fellow. I willst jist tak' a drink at th' tavern and relax. One question, do thou remember how many art part of this Reg's gang?"

As he walks into the place where the others are he can see that atmosphere this evening was more wild than when he was here the last time.

"He hey, I choose tae play drunk in th' wrang place it seems." He says to himself, laughing and walks over to the bar.

He looks over the list of drinks that Annie has,

"Dha' mountain punch looks good but nathin' wins mead."

"Heelloo there ladies!" The big man says to the waitresses and smiles then looks through the list of drinks, again. "Hist this all drinks thy got? What be the best drink thy got to get really drunk and knockout?"

Just his own, yes.

15551083836_c4700330a1_t.jpg

"Three, I think. Used to be more, but I hardly keep track of 'em."

The waitresses turned to Kellim as he walked up to the bar when he came inside. Aquamarine gave him a glowing smile.

20501830591_2807bd7565_t.jpg

"The Mountain's Punch is supposed to pack a quite a, well, punch!"

Annienal shifted uncomfortably.

"Um... yes? I mean, I don't really want to get anyone hurt, I'm just here to cool off, you know? I'm trying to stay out of a fight. Anyone around here I should stay away from if I don't want to get into a fight?" Annienal asked the girls, grabbing her drink.

15593877755_3ce091e565_t.jpg

"...Well, Bo's managed to run out of money, so he's getting all angry up on the next floor. I don't want a repeat of last time, so I wish he'd just get out...or at least continue drinking so he'd shut up. Topaz and Emerald are having it out...which is business as usual, except that Reg Goldjaw has front row seats."

Calamity pays, and heads up to the angry redhead upstairs.

"What has gotten your knickers in a twist? And why isn't it one of these girls?"

The leprechaun looked up at Calamity, his wine bottle empty, his face red with rage for no apparent reason.

14973139754_fef886c4a4_t.jpg

"I'm outta drink ya damn pixie, wha' the 'ell's it look like to ya, eh? 'Less yar 'ere to buy me another, get outta my 'air!"

19879195984_c35ce4fe18_t.jpg

"Erm, Bo's something of a regular. He lives in the Hovels, and this is about the only place to get a drink..."

"I'll be 'avin' more of the pleasures of the flesh once I get a few more pleasures out of these bottles, do ya get it?"

The leprechaun looked up at Calamity, his wine bottle empty, his face red with rage for no apparent reason.

"I'm outta drink ya damn pixie, wha' the 'ell's it look like to ya, eh? 'Less yar 'ere to buy me another, get outta my 'air!"

"Erm, Bo's something of a regular. He lives in the Hovels, and this is about the only place to get a drink..."

"I'll be 'avin' more of the pleasures of the flesh once I get a few more pleasures out of these bottles, do ya get it?"

Calamity pouts: "I might be willing to buy a gentleman another drink or two, in exchange for some... conversation, maybe, what do you say?" She turns to the woman. "Hiya, I'm Calamity, did you draw the short straw to keep this funny little man under control?"

Keliim looks over the place and thinks the three wolves seem to be the "Mr jumpy", the drunk monk over there and Mr shinny teeth himself. He whispers what the ogre had told him about the men to Annie.

Then he turns back to the waitresses,"Ah th' lovely ladies, thy know what last time I habt bin haur there was somethin' called Doom's Daquiri or sometheng, how much be that?

The big man looks around some more, he sees the fairy waitress with a full wine bottle and then he looks on the nervous man next to them.

He whispers to Annie, "Thou with me later on, to freak this guy out even more, too see if he will flip and get out of here?"

Edited by Mencot

"A bard, who lives to slay the dead: 'twas a path I no longer tread."

"A name bestowed by grateful folk she saved. But now her goal's to drink and sing all day."

"And damn if I'm not good at it."

"A day once came when vivacious Val sought a corpse to kill;

But she did not know the (handsome) corpse also hunted dead.

In Babeleth they fought a fight, atop an ancient hill.

It drew phantoms, they slew them all, now they're lovers instead."

Mortimer nods deep. "A noble goal," he laughs lightly. "How 'bout I buy you two a drink, make that a little easier, yeah?"

Calamity pouts: "I might be willing to buy a gentleman another drink or two, in exchange for some... conversation, maybe, what do you say?" She turns to the woman. "Hiya, I'm Calamity, did you draw the short straw to keep this funny little man under control?"

"Fine. What did ya want?"

The woman next to the leprechaun scratched her head.

"He pays well, someone's gotta do it."

Keliim looks over the place and thinks the three wolves seem to be the "Mr jumpy", the drunk monk over there and Mr shinny teeth himself. He whispers what the ogre had told him about the men to Annie.

Then he turns back to the waitresses,"Ah th' lovely ladies, thy know what last time I habt bin haur there was somethin' called Doom's Daquiri or sometheng, how much be that?

The big man looks around some more, he sees the fairy waitress with a full wine bottle and then he looks on the nervous man next to them.

He whispers to Annie, "Thou with me later on, to freak this guy out even more, too see if he will flip and get out of here?"

19874605253_907cc51b30_t.jpg

"Wait, what? Are they talking about me? Oh gods, don't tell me they're talking about me."

"Just calm down Briar, nobody's going to hurt you."

"What?! Reg says I fight best when I'm panicked!! I have to be scared or I can't be scary!!"

"But...you're always panicked!"

Mortimer nods deep. "A noble goal," he laughs lightly. "How 'bout I buy you two a drink, make that a little easier, yeah?"

"Perhaps that's true, virtuosos are just. I fear of late that noble goals elude us. I do not drink, but if you wish, Val does..."

"Nah, we were about to leave anyway. We had a gig here, but it's over now, and this place is far too noisy for my liking."

"When my song stops the pleasure ends,

No passion or flirtation.

The secret is, my one-eyed friend:

My Oboe of Damnation!"

"But also this song."

The bard handed the warden a slip of paper.

heroica-battlesong.jpg Lover's Lyrics (Minstrel's Battle Song; deal the enamored-effect to all enemies at the cost of 1 ether per affected enemy.)

In the time it takes for Mortimer to briefly skim the scrap of paper to see just what it is they gave him, when next he looks up, Val Helsinger and Caede have vanished, leaving him to ponder just what exactly had transpired.

"Great. So I was just wondering if you could tell me anything about these machines or whatever that have been assaulting people around here. I mean, that's messed up, right? What are you having to drink? Oh, and by the way, have you heard the word of our saviour the great Lord Z?" Calamity adds finally, using her new powers from the drink to convert.

Edited by Scubacarrot

"Great. So I was just wondering if you could tell me anything about these machines or whatever that have been assaulting people around here. I mean, that's messed up, right? What are you having to drink? Oh, and by the way, have you heard the word of our saviour the great Lord Z?" Calamity adds finally, using her new powers from the drink to convert.

"Eh? Machines? The 'ell do ya take me for, some kinda inventor? Goldilocks and 'is sad excuse for Wolfbangers were just whinin' about somethin' like that down by the bar. I'm drinkin' 'ard Mead 'ere and if I don't get more soon I-" Bo blinked as Calamity spoke about the great Lord Z, enraptured by her religious guidance. "Z? Who the 'ell's that?"

Mortimer works his mouth for a moment, pocketing the song for later. He rubs a thumb under his good eye, wondering if his vision was failing him quicker than he thought.

He heads down the stairs, keeping a close eye on their target. As soon as everyone else wrapped up their preparations, he could approach.

"Eh? Machines? The 'ell do ya take me for, some kinda inventor? Goldilocks and 'is sad excuse for Wolfbangers were just whinin' about somethin' like that down by the bar. I'm drinkin' 'ard Mead 'ere and if I don't get more soon I-" Bo blinked as Calamity spoke about the great Lord Z, enraptured by her religious guidance. "Z? Who the 'ell's that?"

Calamity maneuvers 10 gold in the girl's hands and signals for her to get the man a mead, while she continues: "Oh he's the best. He accepts everyone under his fold and rewards people with riches and power and everything they dream of for basically doing nothing. Also, who here all would qualify as a sad Wolfmonger?"

Edited by Scubacarrot

Annienal had already moved on to Avina and didn't hear Kellim, holding onto her drink.

"Reg's got the scaredy guy, Brier, working for him. I don't know about anyone else, but apparently there's three Wolfgang members in here." She looks up at Calamity talking to the leprechaun. She turns and whispers to Avina.

"She scares me."

Edited by Kintobor

Mortimer works his mouth for a moment, pocketing the song for later. He rubs a thumb under his good eye, wondering if his vision was failing him quicker than he thought.

He heads down the stairs, keeping a close eye on their target. As soon as everyone else wrapped up their preparations, he could approach.

Mortimer found himself standing amidst Annienal and Avina just past the foot of the stairs.

Calamity maneuvers 10 gold in the girl's hands and signals for her to get the man a mead, while she continues: "Oh he's the best. He accepts everyone under his fold and rewards people with riches and power and everything they dream of for basically doing nothing. Also, who here all would qualify as a sad Wolfmonger?"

The woman in red nodded, with a bit of a grin as she went over to Sapphire, who was still fluttering around serving drinks.

"Bah, anyone who in't me in 'ere may as well be onna the Wolfers, they've an eye on every street 'ere now. Tell me more 'bout this Lord Z fellow."

Annienal had already moved on to Avina and didn't hear Kellim, holding onto her drink.

"Reg's got the scaredy guy, Brier, working for him. I don't know about anyone else, but apparently there's three Wolfgang members in here." She looks up at Calamity talking to the leprechaun. She turns and whispers to Avina.

"She scares me."

19510387124_06631a879f_t.jpg

"She's the kind of person we're fighting against. Errantly abusing magic like that is a danger to everyone around her." Avina looked around, nodding at Mortimer as he approached. "He has at least one other person ready to support him. The crazy one over by the bar. It seems like your 'Calamity' is handling the leprechaun up top. Where'd the woman and the undead go?"

"Bah, anyone who in't me in 'ere may as well be onna the Wolfers, they've an eye on every street 'ere now. Tell me more 'bout this Lord Z fellow."

"Any of the girls part of the wolves, you think? Lord Z, what's to tell? I could arrange for you to meet a follower of his, some other time. You won't regret it but for a moment."

Keliim looks just a bit confussed as the elvish female moves away without answering, thinking "Seems I was telling things to the wrong woman. That arrogant girl will be the death of someone one day! Oh well." He turns to the waitress and orders a mead to go and hands over 10 gold.

Then he walks over to the scared guy and says "Awrite there, why sae jumpy? What been buggin thee?"

"She's the kind of person we're fighting against. Errantly abusing magic like that is a danger to everyone around her." Avina looked around, nodding at Mortimer as he approached. "He has at least one other person ready to support him. The crazy one over by the bar. It seems like your 'Calamity' is handling the leprechaun up top. Where'd the woman and the undead go?"

"Left. Place was too noisy," Em shrugs, eye still scanning the bar. "You talk to the crazy person? What's he like?"

"She's the kind of person we're fighting against. Errantly abusing magic like that is a danger to everyone around her."

Annienal nods. Perhaps her and Avina could come to an agreement on something.

"You talk to the crazy person? What's he like?"

"I overheard Kellim's discussion. Brier said something about Reg liking him scared since it makes him better in combat, although I don't really see how that's supposed to work..."

"I overheard Kellim's discussion. Brier said something about Reg liking him scared since it makes him better in combat, although I don't really see how that's supposed to work..."

"You ever corner an animal? It fights harder."

Em shook his head his head to clear it, pinching his nose. "How do we get rid of him, then? Scare him past his breaking point?"

"Any of the girls part of the wolves, you think? Lord Z, what's to tell? I could arrange for you to meet a follower of his, some other time. You won't regret it but for a moment."

"Hah, Cammie'd sooner burn this place ta the ground than sell it ta the Wolfers."

Sapphire returned a moment later with a fresh mug of Mead. Bo broke off from Calamity and inhaled the beverage, belching loudly and slumping back against the wall, apparently having finally hit his limit and tiring almost immediately.

20267229469_e6ac7a2fdc_t.jpg

"That should do it."

"Whew! Thanks for the drink. I'm surprised, Bo usually seems to drink just enough to be constantly angry, and never enough to end up passed out..."

"His drink usually isn't spiked. Thanks for the help, miss."

Keliim looks just a bit confussed as the elvish female moves away without answering, thinking "Seems I was telling things to the wrong woman. That arrogant girl will be the death of someone one day! Oh well." He turns to the waitress and orders a mead to go and hands over 10 gold.

Then he walks over to the scared guy and says "Awrite there, why sae jumpy? What been buggin thee?"

Diamond slid Kellim a Mead across the bar. Briar looked up at the barbarian man nervously.

"Wh-What? Bugs?! Oh!! Right, no, just, I'm always a bit-" Briar twitched. "a bit, a bit, a bit jumpy these days, just a bit."

"Left. Place was too noisy," Em shrugs, eye still scanning the bar. "You talk to the crazy person? What's he like?"

Annienal nods. Perhaps her and Avina could come to an agreement on something.

"You ever corner an animal? It fights harder."

Em shook his head his head to clear it, pinching his nose. "How do we get rid of him, then? Scare him past his breaking point?"

"He's right. Desperation breeds hostility."

"I think we've managed to peg down everyone who'll be supporting Reg. The zombie and his companion are gone...I'll have to write up a file on that necromancer woman. Briar's with Reg, as is the priest, but he's supposedly a pacifist. It seems our black mage has disabled the leprechaun. Perhaps it's time we have a chat with Goldjaw." Avina crossed her arms and glanced perhaps a bit critically at Mortimer and Annienal. "And we can't afford to be catering to this rogue's fancies. We need this information, whatever it takes. We need details on the attack, we need to know what we're up against. Reg's going to spill his guts. One way, or another."

Edited by CallMePie

Mortimer shrugs, knocking an armoured fist into his palm. "You shouldn't be so hellbent on bloodshed," he mutters, jerking his chin at the angry ladies by his side. "He seems... scum. I've no qualms with breaking scum."

"Let's go."

"Wh-What? Bugs?! Oh!! Right, no, just, I'm always a bit-" Briar twitched. "a bit, a bit, a bit jumpy these days, just a bit."

"A littl' Jumpy? Aye thou canst say that again and why be that?"

Keliims concentration to the man is lost when he sees that the others are planning something.

"I think we've managed to peg down everyone who'll be supporting Reg. The zombie and his companion are gone...I'll have to write up a file on that necromancer woman. Briar's with Reg, as is the priest, but he's supposedly a pacifist. It seems our black mage has disabled the leprechaun. Perhaps it's time we have a chat with Goldjaw." Avina crossed her arms and glanced perhaps a bit critically at Mortimer and Annienal. "And we can't afford to be catering to this rogue's fancies. We need this information, whatever it takes. We need details on the attack, we need to know what we're up against. Reg's going to spill his guts. One way, or another."

Mortimer shrugs, knocking an armoured fist into his palm. "You shouldn't be so hellbent on bloodshed," he mutters, jerking his chin at the angry ladies by his side. "He seems... scum. I've no qualms with breaking scum."

"Let's go."

The big man looks at Em and Avina, nods his head towards Reg when he sees that they plan on going, Keliim nods his head.

But before he goes he turns to Briar and says "Take it easy thou know, thou will habt an stroke of all that stressin' out! "

"HEY, what´s that on thy shoulder? Is´t a Spider and a big one!"

Then he moves out towards Mr shiny teeths and the girls, thinking amused "was it a bit too cruel to trick the poor man like that but it was fun."

Edited by Mencot

The big man looks at Em and Avina, nods his head towards Reg when he sees that they plan on going, Keliim nods his head.

But before he goes he turns to Briar and says "Take it easy thou know, thou will habt an stroke of all that stressin' out! "

"HEY, what´s that on thy shoulder? Is´t a Spider and a big one!"

Then he moves out towards Mr shiny teeths and the girls, thinking amused "was it a bit too cruel to trick the poor man like that but it was fun."

"Oh man, I don't want a stroke. WAIT, SPIDER?! Where??"

"Oh for- there's no spider, Briar." Aquamarine shot Kellim a rather dirty look. "There's no need to tease him."

"Let's go."

"Just being realistic. The Crown rarely has the opportunity to deal with reasonable people. It's a measure we often must go to, don't act as though you haven't done the same."

The group moves over to Reg Goldjaw, and his two elven companions, who at this point are nearly shouting at eachother.

20313820178_83cba5e763_t.jpg

"-and this 'trick' of mine is simply accentuating the magical subtleties of MY people, it's hardly my fault you lack the knowledge or capacity for-!"

14973730163_9408c5abef_t.jpg

"-don't give one damn about you, YOUR people, OR your ridiculous parlor tricks, but when you use them to steal MY customers, then yes, it's ENTIRELY your fault, Emerald, and-!!"

"-the craft of magic that stems from CENTURIES of magic use, something that you conspicuously seem to lack, Topaz, UNLESS, perhaps you're smearing the good name of our people because you're only HALF of what we TRULY are-"

"-you can't just waltz in, flip your here, whip up a spell, and expect to snatch away MY regulars, it's obvious you have NO skill at all in this line of work, you needn't hold yourself ABOVE me, you superior, wanton skank-!"

"-it would certainly explain your COMPLETE absence of refinement, you brazen, half-blooded whore-!

"-haughty, shameless slut-!"

Reg Goldjaw sipped his mug nonchalantly and looked over at the heroes from his spot ensconced between the two arguing elves. His mouth spread into a gold-lined grin.

20424531369_703a3cab0c_t.jpg

"Ah, there something you need, friends? You're distracting me a bit from the show."

Mortimer nods in greeting, his smile slightly skewed-- more of a scowl, to be sure. "Was just wondering what was going on over here. Awfully noisy, yeah?"

Annienal stands back from the discussion and watches Brier and the hooded, pacifistic druid.

"Ah, there something you need, friends? You're distracting me a bit from the show."

"Evinin Mr." Keliim nods his head and looks as the girls argue and responces to it, "An' frae th' looks ay it, it seems like a amusin' time..."

"Whew! Thanks for the drink. I'm surprised, Bo usually seems to drink just enough to be constantly angry, and never enough to end up passed out..."

"His drink usually isn't spiked. Thanks for the help, miss."

Calamity looks down, and sees it is almost go-time.

"You're very welcome, for such a little man, he seemed like quite the hands full." Calamity sighs. "You girls are all so beautiful, it reminds of this amazingly special creature that requires a lot of effort to summ-.. err, to spot." Calamity says, using her conversion powers subtly. "Hey, do you think I could get my staff in here? I had to hand it off at the entrance, but years of carrying bundles of firewood through forests have made my back as annoying as a fairy dust addict past last call. It would be really helpful."

Edited by Scubacarrot

Mortimer nods in greeting, his smile slightly skewed-- more of a scowl, to be sure. "Was just wondering what was going on over here. Awfully noisy, yeah?"

"Hah, certainly is. Usually isn't this loud, but these gals here can't seem to decide one way or the another who should have the honor of entertaining old Reg."

Annienal stands back from the discussion and watches Brier and the hooded, pacifistic druid.

Briar was still cowering away from Kellim...but was watching the heroes questioning Reg with worry, and glancing between him and Big Red, the cleric on the ground, intently.

"Evinin Mr." Keliim nods his head and looks as the girls argue and responces to it, "An' frae th' looks ay it, it seems like a amusin' time..."

"Our argument does not concern you, human, and it is NOT amusing."

"I beg to differ on that, sweetheart." Reg sipped his drink.

Calamity looks down, and sees it is almost go-time.

"You're very welcome, for such a little man, he seemed like quite the hands full." Using her conversion powers subtly, she adds: "Hey, do you think I could get my staff in here? I had to hand it off at the entrance, but years of carrying bundles of firewoods through forests have made my back as annoying as a fairy dust addict past last call. It would be really helpful."

Calamity's conversion didn't seem to be working, as there was no 'conversion' going on at all.

"Huh? Sorry, nobody b- nobody's allowed to have weapons in here."