CMP

Heroica RPG - Quest #140: Requiem for a Machine

Em inspects the offered hand for a surprised moment before clasping it in a firm shake. "Mortimer. Taking down Melville was... He didn't go down easy. I guess it's good to see you well, Paul."

He turns back to Avina, jerking a thumb in Annienal's direction. "Yeah, do tell us more about exactly what our task here is. Something you can't or won't do yourself puts me on edge, especially considering the Crown's reputation within Heroica."

"All that takes is time...and we've been around for a while. And we're not going anywhere anytime soon."

"So... How is it, that technology is advancing super fast, have you seen one of the Ji Pei airships? They're quite impressive. And mages are still around, too." Calamity smiles sweetly as she lets a spark of dark energy jump between her fingers.

Edited by Scubacarrot

Em inspects the offered hand for a surprised moment before clasping it in a firm shake. "Mortimer. Taking down Melville was... He didn't go down easy. I guess it's good to see you well, Paul."

20138561371_7e0c8635db_t.jpg

"Hah, if he went down easy we would've gotten the job done. They sure don't exaggerate when they talk about your organization, we saw that explosion from the fort."

"So... as fascinating as all this is, I'd like to hear why we're here, and how we're helping you're organization. I believe there was a Eubric Knight involved in all this?" Annienal inquires. "I mean... if Mortimer and everyone else is ready to go..."

He turns back to Avina, jerking a thumb in Annienal's direction. "Yeah, do tell us more about exactly what our task here is. Something you can't or won't do yourself puts me on edge, especially considering the Crown's reputation within Heroica."

"So... How is it, that technology is advancing super fast, have you seen one of the Ji Pei airships? They're quite impressive. And mages are still around, too." Calamity smiles sweetly as she lets a spark of dark energy jump between her fingers.

20124990502_e522339e1a_t.jpg

"That's a second issue...a more recent one. Relatively speaking. Technology is popping up that we're reasonably sure shouldn't exist yet. Here we are jabbing eachother with bits of pointy metal and elsewhere in the world there are flying ships, recording devices, and machines that can think for themselves. Some of them tied directly into magic. How long it will be before machines start figuring out they're more effective than any mortal, I don't know."

"That issue is the heart of why you're here."

Avina pulls a thick folder from the depths of her cloak, leafing through it.

"For nearly a year now reports have been cropping up about mysterious attacks. Nothing to draw attention, because they're all non-lethal as far as we can tell. There are connections to be drawn. All the victims are reported as having been causing trouble, perhaps threatening someone, petty crimes, vandalisms. Day-to-day business in Eubric. But, with a frankly startling response time, hulking figures head-to-toe in heavy armor arrive, disabling the aggressor, and then just....leaving."

"The reports were scattered at first, but they're at an all-time high now. You'll never see one wandering the streets, they just appear, do their thing, and go. They're automatons. Advanced ones...no match for what the Ji Pei are cooking up now, as far as we can tell, but they're built tough. And whoever is putting them out there has been making better ones."

20206935995_ddbb34b8de_t.jpg

"Cardinal had Razkor investigate. Little evidence to be found, but Razkor poked around victims. Some resist, but Razkor good interrogator."

"The machines seem to have pre-recorded messages on them...or in them, more like. Some rubbish about protecting the streets, proclaiming the superiority of machines...these messages are all recorded by someone calling himself the Eubric Knight. Now, these automatons haven't exactly been causing harm on their own, but an army of machines nobody can seem to trace sitting around Eubric is just waiting for trouble. We have a few agents planted within the Town Watch, and apparently they're not too happy about it either. They've dealt with wanna-be vigilante organizations in the past, but there's nothing they can really do about these machines."

"That's what we're going to change."

"We need to track their source and destroy it. These machines are far too organized to be operating independently, so we cut off who's controlling them, we cut off the automatons. I imagine this Eubric Knight is at the heart of the source."

"As far as this person's identity, we already have a number one suspect, courtesy of Secta Halosis. But he appears to have vanished, so it won't be of much help now."

"We do, however, have a lead. A fresh one. The residents of a block in Way's End reported some sort of domestic disturbance late yesterday to a passing guardsman. A scoundrel by the name of Gontzo was the source of the disturbance, and he claims that he was attacked by these machines. The attacks typically don't get reported this quickly, so this is the best chance we have. The Town Watch are no doubt planning on dispatching their own investigators, so if we can get there before them, we can get some information out of Gontzo, perhaps find some more clues."

"Questions?"

"Do you plan on killing the Eubric Knight?"

Wincing and shaking his head, Mortimer waves a hand. "No, never mind, that's not important. We ought to head out quickly if we want to beat the Watch. I've got no questions."

"Can we at least be given the name of who you currently suspect is the Eubric Knight?" Annienal asks.

"I, um, think if I wanted to kill anyone, I would've done so already." Annienal replies, looking around at the Crimson Crown individuals. "Any possibility any of the books in here managed to, um... get salvaged? More importantly are they in your possession?" Annienal inquires, a look of hope in her eyes.

The big man lets out a laugh, "And I thought the goblin was the jokester, but this be todays best. Hey Annie, thy be just great." And the big man give her a small slap on the back. And turns to the Crimson Crown members "Isn´t she just adorable!"

"We serve the Order of the Crimson Crown. It's been around for a very long time, to say the least. As you might've guessed, we've dedicated ourselves to the removal of magic and 'advanced' technology from the world. And before you ask, no, we're not committing genocide on all the mages of the world. Some of you have decent intentions. Others, however, do not, and as Razkor has said, they are a serious threat to everyone around them. How many times has Heroica fought mages or wizards, toying with things they don't understand or merely gone insane with their own power?"

"Magic itself is something we don't understand. Festina lente - "make haste slowly." Mortalkind has been crippled by relying too much on magic, and on technology we shouldn't even have yet. Uland wouldn't've had half its landmass sunk if it weren't for mages, and the demons overunning Nu Mercution. A lot of trouble could've been spared in Nu Mercution if it weren't for those shades and that device we helped Heroica destroyed....sure, you heroes eventually gets called out to take care of some of these problems...how many people die before they get solved? We're working to prevent things like this happening in the first place."

"I'm happy to answer your questions, but if you're getting any ideas of stabbing us in the back because of our goals, you may as well leave now, before I start detailing the current assignment. I know some Heroicans like to stick to their morals, and it certainly might look like we're a group of fanatics, but we've done a lot more good than you might think."

Keliim listened to the women speak, thought to himself, "what a bunch of loonies!"

"So thou wanna pretty much get ride of magic, I am use to that. I did grow up in a place whert magic was banned and everyone who use it were an outlaw. Alright with that I guess, if kept as an own opinion but the royal houses kept an strict control, killing and prisoning anyone, young and old who were under suspicion that could be an magic user...

But they didn´t leave it there, no. There were also other things that were under the "controlling eye", everybody who questioned anything or spoke against them and the king were outlawed.

This is total control, making everybody mindless peons. This be not alright.

"That's what we're going to change."

"We need to track their source and destroy it. These machines are far too organized to be operating independently, so we cut off who's controlling them, we cut off the automatons. I imagine this Eubric Knight is at the heart of the source."

"As far as this person's identity, we already have a number one suspect, courtesy of Secta Halosis. But he appears to have vanished, so it won't be of much help now."

"We do, however, have a lead. A fresh one. The residents of a block in Way's End reported some sort of domestic disturbance late yesterday to a passing guardsman. A scoundrel by the name of Gontzo was the source of the disturbance, and he claims that he was attacked by these machines. The attacks typically don't get reported this quickly, so this is the best chance we have. The Town Watch are no doubt planning on dispatching their own investigators, so if we can get there before them, we can get some information out of Gontzo, perhaps find some more clues."

"Questions?"

"So this Eubric Knight and their machine make hits with a iron hand against anyone? "

Calamity has a hard time following their employer's logic. In her mind, the Crimson Crown is afraid of a future where automatons rule the world. She could see how that could get old after a while.

"If Razkor is such an excellent interrogator, why do you need us?"

Edited by Scubacarrot

"Can we at least be given the name of who you currently suspect is the Eubric Knight?" Annienal asks.

"His name is Chalvo Erith. Shipmaster for the Ji Pei, coordinates all the deliveries, usually Tritech, moving in and out of Eubric Freeport along the shipping lanes. He had access to some pretty top-of-the-line schematics and parts of one of their automatons a few years ago. It would've been trivial for him to copy them. But we don't know what his motivation would've been, or like I said, where he even is now."

Keliim listened to the women speak, thought to himself, "what a bunch of loonies!"

"So thou wanna pretty much get ride of magic, I am use to that. I did grow up in a place whert magic was banned and everyone who use it were an outlaw. Alright with that I guess, if kept as an own opinion but the royal houses kept an strict control, killing and prisoning anyone, young and old who were under suspicion that could be an magic user...

But they didn´t leave it there, no. There were also other things that were under the "controlling eye", everybody who questioned anything or spoke against them and the king were outlawed.

This is total control, making everybody mindless peons. This be not alright.

"So this Eubric Knight and their machine make hits with a iron hand against anyone? "

"We all believe in the goals of the Crimson Crown. We're not looking for sovereignty over the world, we want to make sure mortalkind can grow and advance without the influences of magic and technology we shouldn't have yet. There are many things in this world too dangerous for us to meddle in.

"The automatons make their hits against troublemakers in the city. They don't even kill them, just disable them for a time. The fact that they were stirring up trouble is about the only connection we can draw between all the victims."

Calamity has a hard time following their employer's logic. In her mind, the Crimson Crown is afraid of a future where automatons rule the world. She could see how that could get old after a while.

"If Razkor is such an excellent interrogator, why do you need us?"

20206935995_ddbb34b8de_t.jpg

"Well, Cardinal wanted Razkor on the job..."

"But she is deferring to the Rose on this matter. We don't need you. There are some who don't even want you."

"But the Rose knows better than to make an enemy out of Heroica. In fact, she seems to think you could be a valuable ally. Thus, you're here, and I'm coming with you."

Avina pulls her mask and hood on, looking vaguely familiar to Em.

19510387124_06631a879f_t.jpg

"Shall we go, then?"

Party

a126cabc798a9ad470820a8d617b5d8c.png

Mortimer "Em" Mahzan (Emjajoas)

Unknown age human male Warden *Immune to Electricity, Fire, Water, and Ice* *Half damage from elemental attacks* *Party Leader*

Level 24

Power Bonus: 5

Defense: 28

Health: 44/44

Gold: 304

Equipment: Tritech Handcannon (WP:16, permanent poisoned 17, cursed), Vigilant (SP 12, halved damage from elemental attacks, immune to Electricity, Fire, and Water; shield), Iron Knuckle Armour (Body, foot, and hand wear. Counts as one artefact. Usable by knights and dragoons. SP: 10. Cannot be removed by enemies), Anniversary Medal (Artefact/Accessory, Power +3, SP +3, Max. Health +3, Max. Ether +3. The values will increase by 1 with each passing year), Frost Helm (SP: 3, immune to ice, suitable for anyone, headwear)

Inventory:

Weapons: Blazing Bow (WP: 14, Fire-elemental), Doppelganger (WP:10, Retribution: The user inflicts any negative effects he or she has on the target enemy on successful hits; longsword), Balanced Main-Gauce (WP: 10, Riposte has a 1/6 chance of instantly killing the/each target, dagger, suitable only for marauders), Crescent Shield (SP: 5, halved damage from elemental attacks, shield), Carpenter's Gloves (Enhancement is automatically successful, traps deal double damage, handwear, suitable for artisans)

Consumables: Health Core x5, Potion, Remedy, Mead, Venom, Phoenix Esssence (3), Ambrosia (4), Mulled Wine (2), Feather of Flight (Allows the user to flee from the battle when used.), Nostrum, Smelling Salts, Elixir, Bone, Smoke Bomb (5), Floral Bomb (2), Ice Bomb (2), Lightning Bomb (2), Fire Bomb, Water Bomb (2), Holy Bomb (2), Dirt Bomb (2), Air Bomb (2), Chaotic Bomb (100 random elemental damage to all opponents)

Misc: Bedroll (2), Shovel, Pickaxe, Telescope, Reaper's Heart, Mythril Shard (1), Amethyst, 5 Silver Ore (Worth 60 gold), Oath of Renewal (When the targeted enemy is killed, the Vindicator regains full health. Oath, suitable for vindicators)

18717533121_e5362cca03_t.jpg

Annienal Anavir (Kintobor)

"19" year old elven female Mystic Knight *Bonaparte Reputation* *Immunity to Earth and Fragile* *Takes half damage from elemental attacks*

Level 15

Power Bonus: 0

Defense: 10

Health: 30/30

Ether: 19/19

Gold: 20

Equipment: Bonaparte Cutlass (WP:9, doubled if the user has reputation among the Bonapartes; longsword), Crescent Shield (SP: 5, Halved Damage from elemental attacks; shield),

Heavy Armour (SP: 5, immunity to fragile, body wear, suitable for barbarians, knights, dragoons, skirmishers, regulators, and vindicators), Locustoid Greaves (Max Ether +4, immune to Earth, suitable to ether users, hand wear)

Inventory: Ammit (WP: 6; greatsword, user gains 5 ether for every kill), Anointed Gladius (WP: 8, deals damage undead; great sword) Wicked Javelin (WP: 7, throwing weapon, retrievable, 1/6 chance to slow), Sanctified Rito Longsword (WP: 4, Hits doubled against flying enemies, longsword), Training Sword (WP:4), Shark’s Tooth (Power increased by 5 against Aquatics, Accessory), Tridentian Cape (Max Ether +3; protects from Blinded effect; suitable for mages, clerics, necromancers and scholars; backwear), Lethauros Fellwings (SP: 3, wearer is immune to Sudden Death, backwear), Tobacco Pouch (1/2 Chance of Blinding with attacks, accessory), Helmet (Max Health +1, headwear), Pauldrons (SP: 2, suitable for knights, dragoons, and skirmishers; accessory), Plain Shield (SP: 5), Lethauros Mask (SP: 2, wearer deals double damage to Beasts and Vermin, headwear, suitable to everyone)

Emerald (Wood), Sapphire (Wind), Aquamarine (Water), Amethyst (Darkness)

Consumables: 3x Potions, Grand Potion, Field Rations (Restore 15 health), 2x Phoenix Essences, 4x Remedies, Mead, Venom, Smoke Bomb, Fire Bomb, Bedroll, Shovel, Telescope, Pickaxe, x2 Grand Tonics

Scrolls: Scroll of Fire Warding (1/2 chance to make the target immune to fire for the duration of one battle at the cost of 1 ether), Scroll of Ice Warding (1/2 chance to make the target immune to ice for the duration of one battle at the cost of 1 ether), Scroll of Water Warding (1/2 chance to make the target immune to water for the duration of one battle at the cost of 1 ether), Scroll of Wood Warding (1/2 chance to make the target immune to wood for the duration of one battle at the cost of 1 ether)

16895570282_2f08bd649b_t.jpg

Calamity (Scubacarrot)

24 year old human Mage

Level 5

Power bonus: 2 (spell)

Health: 9/9

Ether: 9/9

Gold: 81

Equipment: Skull-Topped Staff (WP: 3, staff), Gold skin Gloves (Spell power +2, Usable by mages, Handwear)

Inventory: Bedroll, 4x Potion, 3x Tonic,4x Remedy, Scroll of Blindness (Enables casting the Blinded-effect to the target, making it unable to use a physical attack for the next three rounds. Each casting has a 50/50 chance of success and costs 1 ether.), Amethyst

16580412818_113a708a52_s.jpg

Keliim (Mencot)

35 years old male human Barbarian

Level 9

Health: 16/16

Defense: 2 (doubled against free hits)

Gold: 37

Equipment: Dwarven Orichalcum Axe (WP: 5), Heroic Helm (Headwear, SP:2, Helm's SP doubles on free hits)

Inventory:

Order Imperial Longsword (WP: 5),Really Hard Helmet (SP: 2, Immunity to Rock), Королева's Blessing (When equipped the player gains the ability to Animal Speak to Spiders only, and all spiders are Enamored with him for the first three rounds of battle, accessory), Scarab Shield (SP3 Shield, bearer takes half damage from vermin)

Consumables: x10 Potion, Grand Potion, 3X Mead, 1X Smelling salt, 2X Smoke Bomb, 1X Poison, 1X Dirt Bomb.

Misc: Shovel, 2X Obsidian Shard: may be affixed to a blunt weapon to give the Bleeding 2 effect for one battle. 2X Charion beetle horn. 1 X Crystal Shard(treasure item, worth 20 gold)

Avina Truenal, Crimson Crown Alchemaster (NPC, controlled by Emjajoas) *Immune to Cursed, Jinxed, Hexed, Transcended, and Blessed*

36 years old female human Alchemist

Level 14

Health: 33/33

Gold: 40

Equipment: Zeta and Sigma (WP: 13, dual strike, daggers), Leather Gloves (For Mixture, the die is rolled three times instead of twice, and the highest two results determine the created item; suitable to alchemists; handwear), Masque (Immune to cursed, jinxed, hexed, transcended and blessed, accessory, suitable to members of the Order of the Crimson Crown)

Inventory: 5 Potions, 2 Remedies, Phoenix Essence, Cloud of Celerity

Edited by CallMePie

Mortimer snorts, though he seems to look a little impressed. Having allies he knew he could trust in battle seemed to set him more at ease after the loss of his eye, and though he questioned her motives, he figured it was safe to trust her in combat. His shoulders relaxed a little, though he still kept a firm hold on his shield.

"Didn't think I'd be fighting alongside you again, Avina. If everyone's ready, let's go."

Annienal ensures her gloves are on properly before speaking. She felt unsure of Avina, but she doubted she'd stab the party in the back.

"I'm ready to head out."

"Didn't think I'd be fighting alongside you again, Avina. If everyone's ready, let's go."

Keliim nods.

"I'm ready to head out."

"Ready whenever."

The party leaves the abandoned bookshop and heads west, to Way's End. Avina rifles through her folder some more and passes a page to the party.

"This is what we have on Gontzo. He doesn't seem like the cooperative type, so be ready to press him for answers regarding his claimed automaton attack."

19944926188_0d28531c06_o.jpg

The sun is high over Eubric, and the roads become denser as they leave the empty street. Soon enough, they managed to find their way to a large residential block Avina leads the party to one of the doors nearby, giving it a few rough knocks before pushing it open with little hesitation. There seems to have been some sort of heated discussion going on inside, that dies down as soon as the door is opened.

20106753086_17db2e5b28_b.jpg

19510382634_30185ab423_t.jpg

"...keepuna....hi chuba da naga, wer-"

20138565711_c253c99fbd_t.jpg

"No no no, I don't think so. We're the ones asking the questions here, sir." The zombie woman (in what looks like a very outdated and decaying Town Watch uniform) turns and frowns at the party. "Excuse me, but you're barging on a very important Town Watch investigation. Please step outside, civilians."

19512039713_ce7d62c389_t.jpg

"Hmph. Somehow Grash doubts these people are civilians."

What would the party do?

Edited by CallMePie

Keliim looked at the people in the room, a pretty strange bunch. An orc and a zombie in uniform and then the huge criminal slug named Gontzo. Who is a drunk, according to his file and from the looks of it, that is true. The orc and the zombie ofcourse are the most interesting right now because what are those two freakshows dressing up as the townwatch for.

The big man thinks if he could pull a stunt, to act that the he and heroes are only there to party with the slug, to get rid of the two freaks.

Problem would be with this that atleast on of the knights in shinning armor won't fit as a drunk.

But he pulls out one mug of mead in one hand and in the other he takes another one of his personal booze bottles. Winks to the other heroes and then starts, Acting drunk. He walks towards the Gontzo and the other two and he shouts out,

"Whoohwoo, Gontzo. Guid day, friends hoo thy bin?" He drinks the mead and steps closer to the female zombie and puts his arm on her shoulder, looks her in the eyes and closes in on her face and blows a alcohol scent on her and says "Hick, Awrite there brammer lady and who be the, if I canst ask, habt we meet? We art here to drink, ain´t we, laddies?" He points at the other heroes, acts like he drinks from the booze and offers some to Gontzo.

Edited by Mencot

Mortimer works his jaw for a minute, incredulous. His eye snaps from Keliim to Avina and back to Keliim before dropping down to his hand. He doubted he looked like a partygoer in his full suit of golden armour.

He shakes his head. This was no time to be stunned silent, though he could hardly bring himself to speak up.

"O-oh, aye, where's the party we was told about, eh?" Em stumbled awkwardly. Perhaps that gave credit to his drunkeness? He stifled his embarrassment.

"O-oh, aye, where's the party we was told about, eh?" Em stumbled awkwardly. Perhaps that gave credit to his drunkeness? He stifled his embarrassment.

He winks is eye to Em and nods.

"Aye ceilidh, ceilidh... Partyy." He turns to Gontzo still holding the zombie around her neck and says "Thy habt to excuse us that we ain´t as stylishly dressed as these two here, whooo." He points at the two. "If we wouldst Knew thes tae be a masquerade, we wouldst dressed probably!"

Annienal opens the visor of her helmet, just so she can expertly move her palm to her face.

"May I ask what's going on here?" Annienal asks, trying to remove herself from Em and Kellim, and being as diplomatic as possible, despite the two's foolery.

Keliim gives Annie quickly the bad eye but then returns to his "jolly good self"

"Ann, don´t be suchs a party pooper, Tak' a bevvy frae th' bottle and shut that visor." The big man turns again to the huge slug and says smiling, "Don´t thou mind me wee friend here, she one of those that habt a stick up her bum, if thy knew what I mean?!

But he pulls out one mug of mead in one hand and in the other he takes another one of his personal booze bottles. Winks to the other heroes and then starts, Acting drunk. He walks towards the Gontzo and the other two and he shouts out,

"Whoohwoo, Gontzo. Guid day, friends hoo thy bin?" He drinks the mead and steps closer to the female zombie and puts his arm on her shoulder, looks her in the eyes and closes in on her face and blows a alcohol scent on her and says "Hick, Awrite there brammer lady and who be the, if I canst ask, habt we meet? We art here to drink, ain´t we, laddies?" He points at the other heroes, acts like he drinks from the booze and offers some to Gontzo.

Mortimer works his jaw for a minute, incredulous. His eye snaps from Keliim to Avina and back to Keliim before dropping down to his hand. He doubted he looked like a partygoer in his full suit of golden armour.

He shakes his head. This was no time to be stunned silent, though he could hardly bring himself to speak up.

The Town Watch folk and Gontzo gave Em and Kellim the blankest stares that have ever been given.

"...choy? Kee baatu baatu, loca koochoo."

" 'What? You bother me, foolish idiots.'

Gontzo is as confused and annoyed as Grash is, Emelia."

"This is not a party. We're investigating a disturbance, and I don't know what this thug has told you about a party, but he is not entertaining guests right now, and I am definitely not entertaining drunken fools."

The zombie, Emelia, pried Kellim's arm off her shoulder with rotting fingers, twisted it around his back and pushed him into Em, causing each of them to take 1 damage.

Annienal opens the visor of her helmet, just so she can expertly move her palm to her face.

"May I ask what's going on here?" Annienal asks, trying to remove herself from Em and Kellim, and being as diplomatic as possible, despite the two's foolery.

"Yesterday night we received reports of a disturbance taking place in this home. One of our people took a statement from Mister Gontzo here, and he claims he was attacked by...figures of some sort. We're gathering details now, and they match up with a string of other such attacks that have been looked into over the past few months."

"It looks like we got here late " Avina muttered to the party. "But maybe we can still ask the slug a few questions. I doubt these guardsmen will get in our way."

"Grash is curious about civilians....they are well-armed, drunk, and barging into people's homes unannounced."

"What are you imply- oh, of course..."

19512039713_ce7d62c389_t.jpg20138565711_c253c99fbd_t.jpg

"Heroes."

"Well, I'm sure you have a good reason for being here...possibly?" She looked at Em and Kellim a bit critically. Grash frowned and looked on his guard.

Edited by CallMePie

Mortimer shoots Kellim a glare and takes a noticeable step away from him. He had been taken off guard and tried to back up his fellow hero, but it seems things had fallen through. He was ashamed to have stooped to such levels. He bows his head in apology to the trio. "I'm sorry. I don't know what I was thinking."

He then stands up straight, rising to his full height, and squares his shoulders. His voice is firm, his tone diplomatic.

"We're investigating the same thing. Those mysterious figures are causing quite a ruckus. We had hoped this Gontzo here could have answered our questions about it. Now that you're here, that saves us a stop-- What do you know of these incidents?"

Calamity holds her finger out to poke Emilia, but manages to stop herself.

"You're very impressive, you know that?"

She then realizes what they came here for. She sniffs her nose at Keliim, and points out a drop of mead on his chin and then fixates herself on Gontzo, who is impressive in an entirely different way. Ignoring the town watch she says:

"If you answer our questions, we'll be gone before you know it, wouldn't that be great, us, not here?"

Edited by Scubacarrot

Annienal tries to hold back a snicker as she watches Kellim get pushed around. She coughs shortly after, trying to mask her amusement. Annienal takes a moment to look around the room for anything of notice, as well as trying to get a closer look what was in the chest.

Mortimer shoots Kellim a glare and takes a noticeable step away from him. He had been taken off guard and tried to back up his fellow hero, but it seems things had fallen through. He was ashamed to have stooped to such levels. He bows his head in apology to the trio. "I'm sorry. I don't know what I was thinking."

He then stands up straight, rising to his full height, and squares his shoulders. His voice is firm, his tone diplomatic.

"We're investigating the same thing. Those mysterious figures are causing quite a ruckus. We had hoped this Gontzo here could have answered our questions about it. Now that you're here, that saves us a stop-- What do you know of these incidents?"

"Doesn't surprise me, seems like you heroes are always working...no matter how stretched the definition is..."

"I'm Lieutenant Emelia, this is Constable Grash. We've been investigating these strange attacks for nearly a year now. I'm sure you know about them. We deal with vigilante pretenders all the time, but from what we can tell, the assailants seem to be machines of some sort. The higher-ups are understandably upset about this turn of events. There's an image to maintain. The Town Watch is the law in Eubric, and these vigilantes are obstructing rightful justice."

"Grash can translate for Gontzo. Grash and Emelia have been interrogating him for nearly half an hour now-"

"Achuba doka no subi chezka kula! Daska ban moska aloota mal ne koba chal chutta."

" 'An unwarranted interrogation! I have suffered more than enough - being pummeled and clubbed in my own home, and now this!' "

Calamity holds her finger out to poke Emilia, but manages to stop herself.

"You're very impressive, you know that?"

She then realizes what they came here for. She sniffs her nose at Keliim, and points out a drop of mead on his chin and then fixates herself on Gontzo, who is impressive in an entirely different way. Ignoring the town watch she says:

"If you answer our questions, we'll be gone before you know it, wouldn't that be great, us, not here?"

"I- what?"

Emelia gives Calamity a somewhat confused stare as she addresses Gontzo, who slurps out of his mug of Mead sloppily. The thug slug gives a sour look, then rattles something off in his own language, half-mumbled with his mouth full of his drink. Grash translates:

" 'Fine, but I expect to be treated with respect, being the victim in this unfortunate matter. I did nothing to provoke my attacks, not one finger lifted against them.' "

Annienal tries to hold back a snicker as she watches Kellim get pushed around. She coughs shortly after, trying to mask her amusement. Annienal takes a moment to look around the room for anything of notice, as well as trying to get a closer look what was in the chest.

The chest is full of broken-down furniture of some sort. She does spot a slight glimmering object, however, which she pulls out with little trouble, unnoticed.

heroica-topaz.jpgTopaz (Enables lightning-elemental spells.)

"I've dealt with vigilantes before," Mortimer nods, his thoughts drifting to his early days as a hero. "I can deal with them again."

He turns to Gontzo. "How many were there? Did they leave anything behind? Better yet, were they only interested in you?"

Annienal quickly pockets the topaz. She feels somewhat bad for doing it, but this thug slug seemed like a dishonest individual. Stealing off of someone who probably stole this item felt rather ironic. She then inspects the items on the shelf, looking to identify the different liquids.