Hey folks! New here!

I'm BooklovingBuilder, loved LEGO as a kid but fell away from it as it "wasn't cool" after junior high, now getting back into it! I loved Castle as a kid, and still have a few old minifigs of the King, some knights, and random archers from various 90's sets. I was looking through an old LEGO ideas catalog #260 and found a massive Castle they built from Lord knows how many sets and it inspired me to really get back into Castle.

So, where do I start? I want the big stuff, the huuuge castles and keeps, but where can I buy them for somewhat cheap? Has anyone here built the stuff from the idea books?

Thanks!

Welcome to EB, Booklovingbuilder! I was always partial to the Freshmen's blacksmith shop on the river from that Ideas Book. :blush:

If you want to build truly classic-style castles like those show in that book, probably your best bet is to just look for the bulk wall sections and other grey parts on Bricklink or eBay and go from there. If you're going for something more modern like Migalart's "Playable Castle" that you commented on, that's just a big bulk order of grey bricks and plenty of imagination! (And some other accessories, but still a bulk purchase with plenty of greys, blacks, and browns is a good place to start.)

Of course, you could also build some stuff virtually in LDRAW or LDD (maybe even "build" some of the old classic castle sets along with some newer ones from the instructions available online to get some experience with different techniques) until you've got something you'd like to build from real bricks, then export the parts list and place an order! :sweet:

Happy building!

Hi there Deraven! Thanks for all the great tips :) Oddly, my imagination is a tad stunted these days, hence the need for a model to build from or instructions, but the bulk wall sections and whatnot is a great suggestion! Someday I want to build a big castle with rooms and halls and stuff, but that may be years off.

Any tips on the best Castle sets?

Welcome to Eurobricks! You'd better check out the Historic themes forum and Guilds of Historica subforum, because that's where the real good big stuff comes from! Enjoy :wink: