Anio

[MOC] UCS Hailfire Droid

EDIT

Professional instruction now available for sale :

You can email me at setechnic@gmail.com

/EDIT

Hello,

Let me introduce a MOC I designed 2 months ago : a UCS Hailfire Droid.

19454699354_7c7c367e9e_b.jpgUCS Hailfire Droid by Anio, sur Flickr

20082746451_ef833169b2_b.jpgUCS Hailfire Droid by Anio, sur Flickr

The model is made out of about 1,070 Lego parts.

The big rings can rotate so that the vehicle can drive.

The model has a lot of details :

- missiles on the top

- the red eye and the mandible

- rotating cannon below

- fake cylinders on the "arms"

- some details in textures : small greeebles, tiles/studs, small dark brown areas

- the blade suspensions, with flexs and road signs (!)

- the details of the motors, reproduced with SW printed dishes.

The building process started with the rings that had to fit with Lego bricks. And having the rings stuck was not an option.

The rings had to be able to rotate, otherwise, I would just have canceled the project. :o

I end up with this solution :

30.JPG

The plates 2x2 with pin have a 1L liftarm (small DBG ring) that goes into the wheel and support it. There are 4 of these per wheel.

Those parts are frictionless, so the x784 big rings rotate correctly.

That was to support the rings. And to guide them even better, there are hinge tops (black) on the sides of the structure. Those parts make slightly less than an half plate thick, so it enables me to slightly reduce the width of the hole, and so to guide the rings correctly, still without friction.

It was quite a challenge to design it, but I am glad it works. The setup is reliable and has very little friction. It tends to slip on a very slick surface of course, but works really good on anything else (wood, textile, paper, anything).

If you are familiar with Technic sets, the build has much less friction than a Technic model with big tracks (42028, 42038 for example).

31.JPG

The chassis is also interesting. With few studless and studful bricks, I got something very strong.

The tile 2x2 with pins (dark bluish gray) locks the build.

24.JPG

25.JPG

There is also some SNOT more or less everywhere. Technic parts to attach the missiles strongly.

There are also some Technic parts to link the wheels to the arms.

27.JPG

36.JPG

Here are all the components. The build can be considered as modular.

23.JPG

A few more shots to see more details :

10.JPG

11.JPG

15.JPG

20077353655_69ecaa561c_b.jpgUCS Hailfire Droid by Anio, sur Flickr

17.JPG

The proportions are accurate IMO, and the vehicle is well balanced :

20069433312_54685e1a62_b.jpgUCS Hailfire Droid by Anio, sur Flickr

20069432472_765ea1ba7f_b.jpgUCS Hailfire Droid by Anio, sur Flickr

Here is the model in action :

FlickR gallery : https://www.flickr.c...157656042536650

Brickshelf gallery : http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=557811

Mathieu will create a professional instruction for this model when the instruction for the UCS Sith Infiltrator is complete. So, stay tuned ! :)

I hope you enjoy reading this presentation.

And if you have any question, feel free to ask. ;)

Anio

Simply stunning! The overall shape looks great and totally spot on. You've managed to create a very fine shape. Also very interesting to see some parts of it disassembled. Thanks for that!

Oh I wish I had these big wheels :D Well done, I really like the way you present your mocs lately, uncovering some of the techniques.

Wow, that is amazing! A relly great build!

Where (in which set) can those giant wheels be found?

This is so awesome! Between this and the Sith Infiltrator, i think i have my next two projects! :)

I loved this models soon as I saw it. The look of simplicity on the outside looks very nice, and it complements the relatively complex inside. I love the mixing of the technic elements, and I feel like this kind of model really can use some food technic parts. I also really love the so called 'clutteredness' of the missiles and the head, which makes the model just look better IMO. The solution with the wheels is ingenious, and just goes to prove your building skill. I kinda love these smaller and more obscure builds of yours. You excel at both these and the big builds. Overall, great job!

Brilliant! This is definitely the most awesome MOC I've seen recently.

I'd love to get a parts list so I could build it myself.

I've always seen this as one of the most interesting designs in the SW universe and this recreation is stunning.

I must say, Anio... Your MOCs do the almost impossible and make me interested in PT sets!

Another great looking build and one that looks incredibly solid for such a complicated shape.

Hello,

Thank you for your messages. It is cool you like the model and its presentation.

Very nice build this more then an updated 4481 set.

In fact, they are totally different.

The big wheels is the only thing they have in common. And even the wheels are not attached the same way.

There are Technic gears on 4481. But in a UCS approach, I was compelled to use studful elements. Ok there is the 1L DBG ring which is studless, but the key is the plate 2x2 with pin, and, to some extent, the hinge top.

Building a functional model out of studful element was the most interesting part of the design process.

The look of simplicity on the outside looks very nice, and it complements the relatively complex inside.

Something that seems simple in a complex situation. This is the simplexity.

The chassis is a good example of simplexity. It is strong, with odd angles, and it was not so easy to find how to build it.

Yet, if you look closely, you will see that the way it is built is not that complicated.

This is so awesome! Between this and the Sith Infiltrator, i think i have my next two projects! :)
Brilliant! This is definitely the most awesome MOC I've seen recently.

I'd love to get a parts list so I could build it myself.

The instructions will have everything you need. But you will have to be patient before it is available. ;)

Extremely cool, can I ask how you make those stickers?

I gather all the technical datas I need on Star Wars websites, I take a pic of the final model, and then it is a Photoshop work. :)

I must say, Anio... Your MOCs do the almost impossible and make me interested in PT sets!

PT ships and vehicules are higly underrated IMO. :)

There is a lot of interesting stuff in PT.

Another great looking build and one that looks incredibly solid for such a complicated shape.

I can't say it is as strong as 4481. 4481 is made out of Technic, there is not a chance that I can design a model that is as strong as this set.

Nevertheless, the final model is very satisfying regarding its solidity.

Purely brilliant Anio, fantastic model and definitely on my to-build list! Looking forward to the instructions! Bravo encore!

Thank you everyone. :)

you rule the LEGO world with UCS sets

:grin:

anio.. you have to slow down so that we can catch up!! )

One thing left to do on a UCS model (an update ; I will post it next month I guess), and I am done for 2015.

Normally.