Sign in to follow this  
shmails

[Challenge 2][Cat A] OF51 Dayhawk

This is my entry into category A of the Andromeda's Gates Challenge #2.

Introducing the OF51 Dayhawk, the newest attack fighter in the Octan Corp fleet.

20053942582_13edbf2274_z.jpg

With the rumors of invasion of the horizon, the Higher ups at the corporation sent down orders to design a new fleet that represents the history and future of Octan.

This fighter is designed for speed and agility without giving up any fire power. The two Ion cannons are accompanied by four neutron missiles, capable of destroying much larger ships from a safe distance.

The specially designed nosecone protects the most vital systems, including the latest in radar and jamming technology. We placed the pilot as close to the sensor systems as possible to cut down on relay time between decision and action.

20067177571_94e45f2a44_z.jpg

20053940082_ce23032224_z.jpg

19873733078_d747a3b6b2_z.jpg

19440835273_82444dd250_z.jpg

19873828290_31e33f2172_z.jpg

19440839503_741f036590_z.jpg

19440841423_bd6a2e5511_z.jpg

Larger versions of the pictures here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/31157752@N04/sets/72157654099139124

A few notes: This is my first real spaceship, so please let me know what you think. I was inspired by the two of my favorite planes of all time, the P51 Mustang and the F117 Nighthawk Stealth fighter. I wanted to go in the opposite diection from greebling the entire machine, so i went with a stealth tech look, and i really like the look. The decals are custom made by me.

Enjoy!

Very sleek and stylish. The landing gear is a nice touch. Gotta love Octan and I love this model too!

Nice, the rounded wings definitely give the P51 vibe and the canted tails are F117. A nice looking fighter, my one critique is where the tail and body meet it seems to dip too much. I think moving that 1x2 white tile up another plate would have been better as you just have a lot of altitude changes and shape changes in a small area.

Fantastic work again, shmails! The shaping is superb and I love the smooth look you gave it :thumbup:

Edited by LittleJohn

Really like the shape here Shmails! The smooth, clean Octan look is great too! :thumbup:

Gorgeous fighter with beautiful lines.

I love the printed Octan decals. It definitely adds a personal feel to the ship.

I especially love the landing gears. So much so, that I will steal the idea.

I think you totally nailed the feel of the WWII era fighters like the Mustang or the Lightning, while capture the feel of the Nighthawk with the tail section.

That's a beautifully sculpted ship! Also, props for putting in landing gear - that's always a pain on ships of this size but you pulled it off nicely. My only suggestion would be adding a bit more detail / greebling to the engine exhaust on the rear, and the ion cannons, but overall this is a sweet build.

Really nice! :thumbup: I'm fond of the wing shaping in particular. The custom decals add a nice touch as well.

Lovely, lovely starfighter shmails! :wub_drool:

I could have gone for some more substantial stablizers in the back to balance the wings, but the overall shaping is gorgeous. I really like the elliptical wings and the curves going into and out of the crew station are very well managed. Then you went and showed us all up by not only using some sweet custom Octan decals, but sticking Jacques' name under the canopy? Dude, total win here with the beautiful blend of '50s sci-fi and stealth bomber lines.

Fantastic build shmails, wonderful the shaping and the slick and clean Octan feel comes out perfectly! Those decals are really excellent as well!