Sign in to follow this  
NuckElBerg

[K - D04] A Place to Call Home

[K - D04] A Place to Call Home

Tags: Building, Kawashita

Okay, had some trouble to get this online (forgive me Bob! :classic:), but now everything is running as it should. This is another build which I thought would be small, but somehow became much, much bigger than I expected. At ~4500 pieces (of which the buildings are around 3500, it's actually one of my biggest builds to date, parts wise (however, there are lots of small parts, since it's a micro-build).

I've wanted to build a floating structure for quite some time now, but other ideas came in the way. Then I got some inspiration from Turtle's excellent micro-build last week, and I ended up pursuing that thought. All in all, I'm quite satisfied with the build. However, there were some things I didn't have the time to complete, such as more details in the actual city (more trees, decorations, and possibly a road network), a much more expanded hangar-area (including coming and going ships, a larger "baseplate" for the hangar level, and more details in general), plus the underside, which was supposed to be more "Bespin Cloud City"-esque, where the bottom structure would fold up when going into landing mode. But... I guess it serves me well for not starting earlier... :tongue:

In this case I would actually recommend looking at the unrendered pictures (under the Spoiler-button) since the Bluerender rendering really doesn't do it justice. :wink:

--//Private Log Begin. Date: 2707(38)15. Scramble code: aiufIIUHnbffka72nFKJf.//--

Except for "Honour and Glory", one of the most recognizable sayings within Kawashita is "Never consider a planet home". While Orinshi is officially the Kawashita Group capital in Andromeda's Gates, there is actually very little activity going on there. This goes hand in hand with another popular saying: "We go where the opportunities are".

As a consequence of this, it used to be easy for Kawashita personnel to get a bit "travel sick" from never going "home". The solution proved to be as simple as it was brilliant. Instead of designating a planet "home", Kawashita started bringing "home" with them when moving. As such, floating cities were born.

9GH3HUx.png

As a result of Awsomnium being an extremely concentrated energy source, it was possible to build cities which were both powered and kept floating thanks to large Awsomnium reactors. The floating cities of Kawashita come in all shapes and form. While bigger military fortifications are generally built on the surface, Kawashita's floating cities is an excellent way to move around civil personnel while still keeping them "home".

Depicted above is the Hoshijiro, named after hero who gave up her life in order to save humanity. The Hoshijiro hosts ~50,000 inhabitants and can be easily moved aboard Dreadnaughts, such as the Akena class vessel. The Hoshijiro has two parts; the upper part, which is supposed to feel like any other city, complete with a large park, a monorail system, a hospital and various forms of entertainment, and the bottom part, which hosts aircrafts, land vehicles, research labs and engineering bays, and various other necessities to quickly be able to prospect new planets.

While Kawashita hosts an impressive military, which is mentioned again and again, it's often easy that it's the civilian population which provides the means for the company to prosper, and for Kawashita, it's floating cities is a large part of that prosperity.

--//Private Log End. Signature: Lt. Gen. Q. Scramble code: aiufIIUHnbffka72nFKJf.//--

More pictures (which I recommend viewing) under the Spoiler-button! :classic: C&C welcome!

gAGWysI.png

ogZyOGa.png

iHju7VR.png

8253AtX.png

r5yVnIu.png

JvOGuHc.png

kKYq26S.png

xtXjGfI.png

Mandatory underside picture, even though I'm not that happy with it.

Edited by NuckElBerg

Really nice floating city, I dig that monorail going around!

The bottomside could use some more greebles if you're unhappy about it, some random tubing connecting the engines and stuff.

@Tyrus: Thanks! However, I still insist that the unrendered pictures look better. :wink:

Really nice floating city, I dig that monorail going around!

The bottomside could use some more greebles if you're unhappy about it, some random tubing connecting the engines and stuff.

Thanks! I actually added a comment regarding what my original idea for the underside was right after you posted:

All in all, I'm quite satisfied with the build. However, there were some things I didn't have the time to complete, such as more details in the actual city (more trees, decorations, and possibly a road network), a much more expanded hangar-area (including coming and going ships, a larger "baseplate" for the hangar level, and more details in general), plus the underside, which was supposed to be more "Bespin Cloud City"-esque, where the bottom structure would fold up when going into landing mode. But... I guess it serves me well for not starting earlier... :tongue:

...so, yea, I had some ideas, but I ran out of time, and then I had trouble uploading the pictures on top of that, so... :sceptic:

Edited by NuckElBerg

Very nice to see the civilians getting their credit. The gene splicing and other underground salons are obviously..underground. The monorail is superb, and I like that Samurai helmet gear!

Looking good, Nuck! I prefer the Bluerender too, I think it shows microscale off very nicely.

I'm glad I could be an inspiration! You've got some cute details, like the hospital with the snowflake, and the pillars in front of a building.

Next week I'll lock your topic when the deadline is reached... :look:

We have got to set you your own personal deadline, Nuck :laugh: You're gonna miss a week soon and it won't be pretty!

great micro build, the buildings look amazing with a lot of NPU throughout, and the Kawashita/Japanese influence is nicely subtle and very well done. I do think your miss an opportunity to greeble the heck out of the bottom with engines and other mechanics that make the city float, but it looks like your recognized that, too.

Lovely micro city! :thumbup: The double layer is quite cool!

Is it bad that I would want to live here?

Absolutely stunning and gorgeous! The buildings are fantastic, the monorail is awesome, and there's just so much to love about this!

Amazing micro city! :wub: The monorail and parks are great! It seems unreasonable to ask for more when the build is so good to start with, but I'd have liked a bit more detail at ground level if you'd had time.