Sign in to follow this  
Bregir

[HSS] A Heroes' Return

After receiving orders from the High Council to stand down and adhere to the truce, Beorthan has lead his troop of veterans home to the Trifork.

There, the citizens are welcoming them with a heroes' parade throughout the city. Below, we see the parade marching past the Avalonian College of Commerce, Economics, and Social Studies, a small subunit of the Avalonian University near Albion.

19409232004_a1c4879d2c_c.jpg

Not all made it back safely, but none were left behind. Here, the veterans are carrying their fallen brother at the place of honour on the parade, for all to honour him and remember his sacrifice.

19409228754_fb162ace0e_c.jpg

Fittingly, the parade also passes before a temple to an old God of War.

19409219484_e9ba5cd85b_c.jpg

HSS Religious: Temple for a God of War

Barring homecoming parades to local heroes, the Academy is a busy place. In its great halls, scholars roam the bookshelves for new perspectives on contemporary issues.

20037145331_f5c043d95d_c.jpg

In the courtyard behind the main building, scholars go to discuss important issues, contemplate in deep thought, study, or to meet with their fellows.

20031852775_9de935da75_c.jpg

In the side wing, there are rooms for visiting scholars. The resident scholars typically have lodgings in the city, but may use the rooms for a peaceful place of study.

19843730898_d61728ccc7_c.jpg

Overview shots:

19409222194_e8ced8d872_c.jpg

19843871080_83ea004346_c.jpg

HSS Scholars: The Avalonian Academy of Commerce, Economics, & Social Studies.

C&C is welcome. This was intended to be a wing of the Petrayan University for Warzone 10, but I didn't manage to get it ready. And thus, the Trifork got itself an academy! :wink:

Edited by Bregir

Oh, lovely build! I especially like the academy and the fact that you didn’t forget that a war makes victims.

Great build Bregir! Both buildings have some really nice architectural details, and the garden section is really pretty! The activity going on outside is also a great addition.

The architecture of the main building is lovely. I've layered arches before but not different shapes and colors together, and the result is beautiful. The overall design surrounding the recessed windows looks great and makes excellent use of the tall slotted bricks. Both wings look scholarly enough and the detailed courtyard looks like a relaxing place for a good read. The little temple is nicely done and the activity in the street fills the scene well. This is a neat, clean build and surely a welcome addition to the city. Good work!

Lovely scene. The way you made the pillars for the academy is simple but effective, very clever!

Wow, this is really good! I love the architecture, it's pretty unique, especially for Avalonia! The temple almost looks like it was left over from the time of the Great Kaliphlin Mepire! The coffin and parade are very nice too.

That's a very pretty building :wub: The white and grey colorscheme looks quite ornate, and I like all the fig action going on :thumbup:

Very nice build with many nice details! I like the Avalonian setting with architecture seeming to show Kaliphlin influence. I assume that the architect had studied at one of the great Kaliphlin centers of learning? Or maybe higher learning in Historica generally is so influenced by its Kaliphlin heritage that this kind of architecture is what everyone prefers to give a sense of deep knowledge? :wink: (In the same way as many universities in North America are influenced by the architecture of Oxford/Cambridge)

Excellent build Bregir, great job on the parade, stands, and flowers in front of the university, but the building itself really steals the show here! Fantastic architecture and interior, and the tranquil garden in the back is superb! :sweet:

Thank you, all - I really appreciate your nice comments! :classic: I liked this build myself, so it is nice to hear you agree! :laugh:

Ah nice build! I was worried when I saw this on Flickr that you'd killed off Beorthan!

Ah, yes - I see how you could get that impression! :blush: But don't worry - I am not George R. R. Martin! :tongue::laugh:

Oh, lovely build! I especially like the academy and the fact that you didn’t forget that a war makes victims.

Thanks, Titus - and indeed - war is not just a game!

The architecture of the main building is lovely. I've layered arches before but not different shapes and colors together, and the result is beautiful. The overall design surrounding the recessed windows looks great and makes excellent use of the tall slotted bricks. Both wings look scholarly enough and the detailed courtyard looks like a relaxing place for a good read. The little temple is nicely done and the activity in the street fills the scene well. This is a neat, clean build and surely a welcome addition to the city. Good work!

Thanks, Captain - always nice to get some detailed feedback! I think the recessed, multilayered arches turned out great too, although the balcony door seems a little overdone to me. But when I realised this, it was already so deeply built in I couldn't change it! :sceptic:

Wow, this is really good! I love the architecture, it's pretty unique, especially for Avalonia! The temple almost looks like it was left over from the time of the Great Kaliphlin Mepire! The coffin and parade are very nice too.

Due to it's location near the Kaliphlin border, ancient Kaliphlin influences are definitely plausible, and my idea was exactly that - that the temple is the remains of earlier settlements.

Very nice build with many nice details! I like the Avalonian setting with architecture seeming to show Kaliphlin influence. I assume that the architect had studied at one of the great Kaliphlin centers of learning? Or maybe higher learning in Historica generally is so influenced by its Kaliphlin heritage that this kind of architecture is what everyone prefers to give a sense of deep knowledge? :wink: (In the same way as many universities in North America are influenced by the architecture of Oxford/Cambridge)

Who put a quarter in you? You Kaliphlinites sure do tend to talk our ears off! "Kaliphlin is so great, yada yada yada..." :tongue:

Thanks, Gideon!

As the Trifork is near the Kaliphlinite border, it is very likely that Kaliphlinite influences are showing in it's architecture. And I would think it likely that the architect for the Academy has in fact studied in Kaliphlinite institutes of learning. Due to it's location and it's status as trading hub, the Trifork is a melting pot for different cultures, races and nationalities, which also shows in architecture, culture and thinking. I personally think of the Trifork as something similar to the cities of northern and central Italy, both in terms of culture, architecture, and organisation.

And of course, Beorthan hopes that having fought alongside the great Gideon in the civil war will help strengthen the ties to Barqa and south western Kaliphlin, to the advantage of us all! :classic:

However, one scholar have recently found sources to indicate that the Avalonian University was a predecessor for Kaliphlin institutions of learning. Strangely enough, this scholar has recently been knighted and gifted a lovely mansion on a small island paradise! :tongue:

Excellent build Bregir, great job on the parade, stands, and flowers in front of the university, but the building itself really steals the show here! Fantastic architecture and interior, and the tranquil garden in the back is superb! :sweet:

Thanks, Garmadon - glad you liked the flowers (considering the pain it was to place the little #%¤#"!!). :tongue:

It was fun to build the a "full" interior, although it is very hard to represent reasonably on photos. The garden with the porticoed archways was inspired by several convents, cathedrals and universities I have seen in Italy and Spain, and I really like the idea of a tranquil place to go studying.

Edited by Bregir

Ah, yes - I see how you could get that impression! :blush: But don't worry - I am not George R. R. Martin!

Haha! Indeed you are not- I'm working my way through his books now (somewhat of a latecomer to Game of Thrones), and am staggered how many he kills off- it makes for great reading though, I haven't been so hooked in a long time!

Haha! Indeed you are not- I'm working my way through his books now (somewhat of a latecomer to Game of Thrones), and am staggered how many he kills off- it makes for great reading though, I haven't been so hooked in a long time!

The show is great, but the books are really something else! (As is often the case :classic: ) They are almost as addictive as your collab with ME and Jorrith! :wacko::wink:

Truly gorgeous urban scene, Bregir! The architecture here is very elegant, I especially love the inset windows on the college and the shrine. The funeral procession is such a wonder touch and really well executed (the second photo is especially well-done).

I'm also very much enjoying this story as continued from the messengers build. Lovely tie-in to both the Kali Civil War and Kali architecture.

Also, I hope Beorthan does not hold too many hard feelings against the Desert King. Just business, ya know? The Desert King would certainly invite Beorthan back to Kaliphlin under better circumstances, especially if he is willing to share the wealth of his great city! :grin:

A great snapshot of an even greater city. Wonderful details all around.

Thanks, Blufiji - glad you like it!

Truly gorgeous urban scene, Bregir! The architecture here is very elegant, I especially love the inset windows on the college and the shrine. The funeral procession is such a wonder touch and really well executed (the second photo is especially well-done).

I'm also very much enjoying this story as continued from the messengers build. Lovely tie-in to both the Kali Civil War and Kali architecture.

Also, I hope Beorthan does not hold too many hard feelings against the Desert King. Just business, ya know? The Desert King would certainly invite Beorthan back to Kaliphlin under better circumstances, especially if he is willing to share the wealth of his great city! :grin:

Thanks ME :blush: I too think the college turned out very stately, and while the shrine was initially just a way to fill space, I am ended up being really happy with it.

While I am not the writer some of our fellow builders are, I enjoy linking my builds with an ongoing story, the "current" political situation, and with the storylines of other builders. (like the collabs going on in Nocturnus or Mitgardia currently :wink: )

About politics, Beorthan's loyalty lies with the High Council, but he is a practical man and holds no grudges. Surely, he would be pleased with an invitation, but I can't promise he won't be giving akward speeches about liberty of speech, representation, the threat of despots, or the wonders of republics while on that journey! :grin:

And I wouldn't exactly expect any sharing of wealth with a former enemy, but the Trifork is generally very positive towards anything strengthening trade relationships. A traders town, the Trifork has never shyed away from an "honest" profit. :wink:

Hopefully, we will see some sort of normalisation of Kaliphlinite matters over the coming period!

What is really intriguing, though, is how the wealth and might of the Trifork will be involved in a possible new civil war in Nocturnus. Having already allied with Vladivus, Beorthan and Anfauglir are technically allied by proxy... Maybe they will one day have a chance to meet! (Luckily, they didn't meet during the Kaliphlinite civil war...)

How did i miss this one? Great build, lots of details and people in the scene make it so lively.