Sign in to follow this  
Zepher

Heroica RPG - Quest #139: Around the World (West)

4e5bf73e-d520-4a19-8b87-66ea4fd6233b_zps828da77a.jpg

"Captain Guts Holla, from Strivvi. You had an arms deal or something over there. Now you call yourself a hero. Thwarted the Cold Circles most recently, but they'll bounce back. They always do. You were up in Baltarok too, when they did the whole bridge thing. Oh, and you took out the Dark General way back when. You're working for Guffington now, third time around." She waves a hand dismissively. "I could go on, I guess, but it's not too interesting. Think you were doing better in Strivvi, myself. And if I got some of it wrong... there's lots of you." She frowns. "Good enough party trick? I have a few more."

"The eye... that was years ago. Who can remember anymore."

McColt.jpg

"Duplovia..." he frowns. "Didn't you say you came from there. And things went south for you..." McColt exhales out of one corner of his mouth. "Don't like you going home alone. I'll tell you what. The King of Haddon has been looking to send a ambassador over to Duplovia for a while, say a hello. Would travel with an armored guard. Let me accompany you to Duplovia, serve as an ambassador, and watch your back. What do you say?"

"Most assuredly it could be something that we deal with swiftly. The Shivering Square is a group of snakes who worship Hissvetia."

Matthias' heart sinks as Hissvetia is mentioned - he had hoped his last encounter with such a snake would be his last. "Oh... is Hissvetia really just all bad?" he asks with a slight shiver.

"Captain Guts Holla, from Strivvi. You had an arms deal or something over there. Now you call yourself a hero. Thwarted the Cold Circles most recently, but they'll bounce back. They always do. You were up in Baltarok too, when they did the whole bridge thing. Oh, and you took out the Dark General way back when. You're working for Guffington now, third time around." She waves a hand dismissively. "I could go on, I guess, but it's not too interesting. Think you were doing better in Strivvi, myself. And if I got some of it wrong... there's lots of you." She frowns. "Good enough party trick? I have a few more."

"The eye... that was years ago. Who can remember anymore."

"Hm. Some of it is wrong. I was a weapons merchant, yes, but I wasn't doing well, not at the end, at least. I despise the term 'hero', because it makes it sound like we actually do good. So you've been to Heroica Hall and talked a few people. Big deal. Do Lane, if you want to prove something to me. Was just asking about the eye because last time a similar eye ended up shooting magic beams at me."

Duplovia is going to be interesting alright. We could do well with another one who knows the area. It would be a pleasure to have you aboard.

Matthias' heart sinks as Hissvetia is mentioned - he had hoped his last encounter with such a snake would be his last. "Oh... is Hissvetia really just all bad?" he asks with a slight shiver.

Pylon.jpg

<Hissvetia is not in her own right bad, I suppose one could argue. It is her followers who evoke her name in their unholy experiments who are the true evil doers.>

"Hm. Some of it is wrong. I was a weapons merchant, yes, but I wasn't doing well, not at the end, at least. I despise the term 'hero', because it makes it sound like we actually do good. So you've been to Heroica Hall and talked a few people. Big deal. Do Lane, if you want to prove something to me. Was just asking about the eye because last time a similar eye ended up shooting magic beams at me."

"Magical beams. Of course." Nona shrugs. "Captain Lane. From the Free Islands originally, but not Uland, so who cares from where. Gull, I'm thinking. Works for the Bonapartes, is mystified by his dog. Doesn't know you killed Melville yet, but now does. He fought a sea beast or two in his day, wields a cannon in combat most of the time and is damn proud of it though he won't tell anybody so. Hoping for a promotion, but keeps getting his ships damaged."

2ad7bc4a-fe3b-4de7-ba4a-26953e3d6112_zps10ae780a.jpg

"Pretty damn good. But like Guts said, easy enough to pick up if you hang around the Freeport long enough."

"It was you who asked me how I knew your name. Don't need to prove it to you."

Duplovia is going to be interesting alright. We could do well with another one who knows the area. It would be a pleasure to have you aboard.

McColt.jpg

"Duplova is going to be tough to reach by ship. We'll have to march there." McColt stands up. "I'll go meet with the King right now. We can be ready to depart tomorrow evening. I'll see you then." He claps Dyric on the back. "It will be good to travel again, and what's more with friends."

Indeed it will. As McColt leaves, I walk over to Guts. McColt is giving us a ride to Duplovia tomorrow evening. Who's your friend?

"Meet Nona, a woman that does tricks, apparently. Nona, meet... you know."

Edited by Scubacarrot

You've already introduced me? I'm not sure I like the idea of giving out my name so close to Duplovia.

<Hissvetia is not in her own right bad, I suppose one could argue. It is her followers who evoke her name in their unholy experiments who are the true evil doers.>

"What sort of experiments?" Matthias asks, beginning to wonder what the others are speaking about, only having caught Rone's recent remark that the group would depart tomorrow. "And I think perhaps we might put off clearing the city of this evil until we are done in Duplovia, if my ears do not decieve me," he adds, clearly torn: happy not to deal with the forked-tongue flicking creepy crawlies, and yet still after adventure and accomplishment and defeating every evil everywhere.

"Relax. Guts is just making fun of my parlor tricks."

Pylon.jpg

"Bringing those that should be dead back to the land of the living... but unwhole. Soulless."

OoC: Let me know if you'd like to do anything else in the town, and if not, we can be on our way!

"I'm going to the Magic Shop. Try not to start any brawls."

Edited by Scubacarrot

Guts walks into the Magic Shop and sees the owner sitting behind the counter. Unlike the last time the heroes stopped in Haddon, there was no dragon in the store.

IMG_2503_zps4bry7fxv.jpg

IMG_2506_zps3m26r7sr.jpg

"Hello hello. What can I do you for? Just take a look around, see if anything tickles your fancy."

heroica-grandpotion.jpgGrand Potion – Restores 25 health to the target. Costs 15 gold.

heroica-grandtonic.jpgGrand Tonic – Restores 15 ether to the target. Costs 40 gold.

heroica-elixir.jpgElixir – Restores 50 health and 10 ether to the target and removes all negative effects from the target during a battle. Costs 65 gold.

heroica-phoenixessence.jpgPhoenix Essence – Revives a fallen ally with full health during a battle. Costs 75 gold.

img_2873.jpgMead - Causes the encouraged-effect, doubling the target's attack power for the duration of one battle. Costs 25 gold.

img_2874.jpgSmelling Salts - Causes the hastened-effect, allowing the target to act twice in one round for the duration of one battle. Costs 40 gold.

img_2872.jpgNostrum - Causes the lucky-effect, allowing the target to roll the battle die twice and get the better result of the two for the duration of one battle. Costs 35 gold.

Minimizing Dust - Consumable. Grants the minimized effect. 75 Gold. *3 in Stock*

DSCN0120.jpg Grating Stone - Consumable. Ups the WP of any weapon it is used on by 1. Costs 150 gold. *2 in Stock*

DSCN0114.jpg Fate's Orb - Consumable. Must be used targeting another party member. The party member it is used on may pick their roll next turn instead of rolling a die. Costs 125 gold. *6 in Stock*

Guts sells his crystal ball for 400 gold, and buys the two grating stones and one fate's orb. He hands over 25 gold.

"Thank you. These will be put to good use." The marauder now was ready to leave Haddon behind, providing Daneeka had recovered enough.

Watching Guts depart for the shop, Matthias toys with the idea of following, but with snakes on his mind the gnome decides to stay put in the comforting confines of the tavern. Besides, he reckons to himself as justification, what if Doc Dan takes a turn for the worst? I should be here. As it seems he has no other business, he addresses Sir Barkley, who's hardly spoken a word since the arrival in Haddon. "Sir Barkley, do you have expereince with the Shivering Square?"

DSCN0145.jpg

"No, and I believe I should keep it that way," says the dog gruffly. "Especially if you cannot assist the High Priest."

The heroes make their way to bed for the night. McColt meets them as they come down the next morning.

McColt.jpg

"All ready to go then? Your Captain Lane and his dog have already departed to go retrieve their ship. They told me to give you their best regards."

Daneeka is the last to descend the steps. He gives a curt nod to the heroes, but doesn't say anything about his previous injury, apparently choosing to keep his dignity best he can.

The heroes make their way to Duplova with a strong armored guard headed by McColt.

McColt.jpg

"When we arrive in the city, is there anything I am to be worried about, Dyric? Do you think they will recognize you? And if so... how do you think it will go?"

Daneeka, meanwhile, approaches the other two heroes.

97044e91-b3a8-4b3b-95c7-412bd3ca9efe_zps626f4568.jpg

"When we arrive in the city we are to seek out Lady Talligard. She is an old friend of Guffington's. She will be able to direct us to the anvil." He glances at Guts. "Thank you for your assistance," he says curtly.

"When we arrive in the city we are to seek out Lady Talligard. She is an old friend of Guffington's. She will be able to direct us to the anvil." He glances at Guts. "Thank you for your assistance," he says curtly.

Guts gives Daneeka an odd look. What did he do to assist him?

"Any idea where to find this Talligard? Want any potions, if it helps you keep up..."

Throughout the trip into Duplovia, Matthias can't shake the feeling that he's let the priest and the dog down. When Daneeka finally speaks, the gnome is relieved that he has something else to think about, and the proximity of Orrik's Anvil raises his spirits. "Who is Lady Talligard?"

It's been a long time. I've changed. Besides, no one is going to expect to see Dyric Rone, so no one will think I am Dyric Rone.

Still, I should go by a different name. Uh, Dirrone McHolla? Part of the Haddon envoy?

Still, I should go by a different name. Uh, Dirrone McHolla? Part of the Haddon envoy?

"Hmpf, it's been done. Which group has a Holla and a McHolla, that's just ridiculous. If you're going to be Dirrone McHolla, we should all change our names. It's the only solution. I'll be Bloke Feeblesword."

Edited by Scubacarrot

Please, I was there. Long time ago, that was. You know, to be honest I'm not sure which is worse - a goddess wannabe or the king who had me exiled. Hopefully we won't have to find out.

Guts gives Daneeka an odd look. What did he do to assist him?

"Any idea where to find this Talligard? Want any potions, if it helps you keep up..."

"Lady Talligard is an old friend. She should not be difficult to find. She has a manor within the walls of the city, and I have visited her before. As for your offer of potions- I'll let you know if I need any. A night's sleep has done me good."

Throughout the trip into Duplovia, Matthias can't shake the feeling that he's let the priest and the dog down. When Daneeka finally speaks, the gnome is relieved that he has something else to think about, and the proximity of Orrik's Anvil raises his spirits. "Who is Lady Talligard?"

"Lady Talligard was one of Lord Guffington's first investors when he was a young boy. She is of the Acerpusculum race, and is older than even I."

It's been a long time. I've changed. Besides, no one is going to expect to see Dyric Rone, so no one will think I am Dyric Rone.

McColt.jpg

"Surely. As I said, I will assist you in any way you need. I imagine it is both frightful and a great joy to return home."

"Hmpf, it's been done. Which group has a Holla and a McHolla, that's just ridiculous. If you're going to be Dirrone McHolla, we should all change our names. It's the only solution. I'll be Bloke Feeblesword."

McColt.jpg

"That sounds much like the name of a hero I once knew," McColt says gruffly.

After a day and night of marching and resting the heroes arrive at the great gates of Duplovia.

8562271034_ab291acf47_z.jpg

IMG_1816_zpsb0c9914f.jpg

"Name and business."

Guts raises an expectant eyebrow at Dyric. If anyone knows how to deal with Duplovian Guards in the best way, it would be him.

Wondering why it is that heroes always get asked that question and not their employers who actually know what's going on, Matthias looks at Rone as well. Didn't he say something about being from here?

A sense of awe falls on me as I see the great walls again. Perhaps I stare too long, as I suddenly become aware of an answer expected of me.

I am Dirrone McHolla of the Haddon envoy lead by captain McColt. We request entrance.

IMG_1816_zpsb0c9914f.jpg

"Haddon..." the guard shifts in his armor, clearly trying to recall to memory something. "Ah, Haddon. Small kingdom, to the south. My name is Quellir. Welcome to Duplovia." The man signals to someone, and the gates are opened slowly from within. He leads the heroes within. "What brings you to Duplovia?"

McColt.jpg

"We would like to meet with your King. For many years we've wished to open dialogue with your nobility." Daneeka clears his throat. "And some of our numbers would like to visit an old friend they hold within the city."

Quellir gives Daneeka a strange look.

IMG_1816_zpsb0c9914f.jpg

"I've never seen your type before."

"Few have."

Quellir gives Daneeka an odd look, but clearly decides it best to not question him.

IMG_1816_zpsb0c9914f.jpg

"As you'd expect, our King is a busy man. He cannot simply meet with you as you wander into the city. I can take you to meet him-"

McColt.jpg

"That would be good." McColt glances at the heroes. "If I could dispatch some of my men to pay a visit to our friend-"

IMG_1816_zpsb0c9914f.jpg

"Duplovia harbors a fragile peace. We don't allow strangers to wander the city alone."

"Lady Talligard will be expecting us."

Quellir weighs this too, shifting uncomfortably in his saddle.

IMG_1816_zpsb0c9914f.jpg

"...I will allow you to visit. Lady Talligard has entertained strange visitors from time to time, and should be prepared to take care of herself. Regardless, I will report your visit, and I suspect someone will come to check up on you. So don't do anything stupid."

McColt nods curtly to Dyric.

McColt.jpg

"I'll meet you shortly."

Daneeka leads the heroes away from the main platoon, down a few streets and to the outside of a enormous manor. Daneeka knocks on the door only as a formality before letting himself in. The heroes walk through a sparsely decorated entrance way before entering a dimly lit main hall. A woman stands at the end of it.

IMG_2366_zpsjvqle0nu.jpg

"Daneeka. Is that you? We were not expecting you so soon."