Sign in to follow this  
cimddwc

MOC: House with Monorail Passthrough

Hi everyone!

Since there's probably a law somewhere that everyone who has a monorail needs a house where it can pass through, I built one too, also featuring a fashion store:

19833973610_7839df235d_c.jpg

» Flickr album with more photos

20027229081_7347399c93_c.jpg

20027227911_9770367f76_c.jpg

This house doesn't exactly look what I had in mind before I started building it, but it still turned out well, I think. :)

Back side - a little simpler as usual:

19835317939_ff59717e5d_c.jpg

On the street, we see a guy who really needs new clothes:

20021948935_6ca1341c31_c.jpg

Inside the fashion store:

20027245621_fd41c806fc_c.jpg

Cheap shared apartments for students upstairs - can't demand a high rent with that monorail passing through.

Used to be two separate apartments, but they were combined (you see the different woods of the floor). Saves one kitchen and one bathroom, gives another room for another student...

Three rooms plus bathroom under the stairs on this floor:

20021973845_db0b9c2173_c.jpg

Third floor: One room (with double-decker couch) and an open kitchen under the spiral stairs. And the passthrough of course.

20027240591_d71f442e53_c.jpg

The painter who has to paint over that graffiti (which says "Blocko sucks" - Blocko being the Lego parody in The Simpsons) has to squeeze himself against the wall when a train comes...

19833960380_b9edaea04f_c.jpg

And two more rooms under the roof. This sleeping student apparently had been at a long party last night:

19995705806_2fbbf89250_c.jpg

Integrated in my city - with lots of work still to do:

20021950555_dc6ba6f963_c.jpg

This new house kinda dwarfs the Fishmaster next to it - maybe I'll add two more narrow houses between it and the modified Simpsons house.

» Flickr album with more photos

» Video of the monorail running

Hope you like it...

That's incredible - I love all the details! I love those gray insets - with the microfigure and other bits. Howard Roark would be turning over in his grave (if he were real), but the fact is that buildings have details like that and yours are excellent!

Very nice addition to a fantastic layout. :)

Also original idea and well executed. Love the painter and graffiti in tunnel. One question; have you used only Simpsons pieces for that modular? If not could you give an approximate piece count?

Another great building as usual! Cool idea and very well executed. Love the naked guy and the inside.

Lot of crazy SNOTing going on again, but I think you went a tiny bit too crazy on the outside gray greebling. Nevertheless, the overall the appearance is great.

This is such a cool concept, maybe a bit annoying if you work nightshift though! :laugh: Looks great from the outside, I particularly like the top floor interior and the balcony!

The most original modular idea ever 'cimddwc', a monorail running through you building (don't let Homer Simpson at the controls :laugh: ).

Delightful period design, I totally dig the interiors of each level.......very clever indeed. :grin:

Brick On ! :wink:

Thanks, everyone!

One question; have you used only Simpsons pieces for that modular? If not could you give an approximate piece count?

No, the Simpsons mod (see here) uses quite a few other pieces. I don't have piece counts, though.

but I think you went a tiny bit too crazy on the outside gray greebling.

Yeah, a part of me thinks that too, especially about the sides of the bay...

By the way, the basic idea of a train, monorail or otherwise, through a house isn't my original idea. Others have done this in Lego before, and there was a house in Berlin, and Zürich has a funicular that does that, too.

As usual, there's nothing not to like. The architecture works on every level - I don't mind the high level of greebling. 'Zuckerbäckerstil' (sorry, don't think there's an english expression for that :() isn't necessarily a bad thing.

The idea of having a monorail (which looks great aswell, btw) running through a house is very nice, and I had to think of the example in Berlin right away.

The attention to detail is outstanding aswell, especially on the interior. I love how you manage to evoke stories and situations seemingly effortlessly.

And I wouldn't mind about the Fishmaster being dwarfed by it - building heights and dimensions generally vary.

Great building and nice detail with the girl with the phone taking photos :wink:

Fantastic stuff!! I really like the architectural details and of course the monorail!!

Excellent work!!

Seems like something from a magical-reality story and fits in very well with your Fishmaster. The blue and salmon colors also look great side-by-side.

This is incredible! I really like the fashion store, so much detail. The whole thing really is just... WOW.

Fabulous build. Lots of great details and parts usage.

I am not sure how safe it is for the students after out drinking, having to go pass tracks to get to their rooms. :wink:

Thanks again, everyone!

I am not sure how safe it is for the students after out drinking, having to go pass tracks to get to their rooms. :wink:

Well, they don't have to cross the track or go near it, so unless one falls off the roof terrace, it's safer than on the street. :)