Sign in to follow this  
Ferdinando

[Challenge 2][Cat C] "The Belafonte"

Dr.Arvan 'Yrich Arkov's recording for MANTelevision: "Er... good morning, though it's probably night for many of you, and, well, thanks for watching us. I'm Dr.Arvan 'Yrich Arkov ad this is my assistant Zeni'ya. We're xenobiology experts and we'll join the crew of the Belafonte, documentarian Steve Anderson's research vessel on a mission to the core of Andromeda to register every information we can about this unknown menace everyone talks about. Stevesey?"

19759654839_952c73ac6d_z.jpg20150723_174801 by tropeaferdinando, su Flickr

20026739686_6f7b21fb45_z.jpg20150726_195353 by tropeaferdinando, su Flickr

Steve A.:"Don't call me like that! Oh well. Welcome to "The Life Galactic with Steve Anderson", M.A.N.T.I.S. official documentary on Andromeda's Galaxy."

19430376824_b8633afd41.jpg20150726_195740 by tropeaferdinando, su Flickr

Steve A.:"And here's Klaus Daimler XII, second-in command of the Belafonte. As you have seen, we'll have two guests who will offer their scientific advice on what we'll see in the Deep Core."

19864932788_e0116f07c5.jpg20150726_195933 by tropeaferdinando, su Flickr

Steve A.:"Here they are, on the observation deck I had installed after being inspired by a..."

Klaus D.:"A dream, we know! Do you really have to say that everytime?"

20026726276_228f905dde_b.jpg20150726_200011 by tropeaferdinando, su Flickr

Steve A.:"Oh well. Here's the Belafonte's very heart, the GATE generator core..."

19432025913_d83ec7c0ff_z.jpg20150726_200032 by tropeaferdinando, su Flickr

Steve A.:"...Which powers the center hyperthruster, essential for travelling through GATEs."

20053006755_5dca5ca840.jpg20150726_200055 by tropeaferdinando, su Flickr

19758264810_ea577a37b9.jpg20150723_175030 by tropeaferdinando, su Flickr

Steve A.:"Of course, radio signals only travel at lightspeed, so our antenna integrates a small GATE generator, allowing you all to watch us live. The Belafonte is also an exploration vessel, which means it must be adequately self-sufficient. A robotic arm enables us to make repairs in outer space. Either that works,or we go out in our space speedos and fix it by hand. That's all for now! See you on the next chapter of "The Life Galactic with Steve Anderson!"

I'd like to thank the judges for this awesome contest EDIT: the pics I replaced the older ones with turned out to be of just a slightly better quality. Apologizes again.

Edited by Ferdinando

Great ship. Love the cross-section technique here, reminds me of FTL and Starbound!

This is great! I would recommed that you re-shoot your photos though, they are very grainy and not quite focused. They don't really do justice do an excellent build.

Edited by robuko

Excellent build Ferdinando, great interior cutaway, I especially like that curve in the front! :wub: I agree with robuko that it would be great to have some better pics to fully appreciate this build!

Thanks LittleJohn! The cross-section interior was a reference to Wes Anderson's film "The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou" where the ship Belafonte is often shown that way. Other references were put in the dialogues and the characters'names (Maybe that was a bit obvious, but whatever).

Thanks LittleJohn! The cross-section interior was a reference to Wes Anderson's film "The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou" where the ship Belafonte is often shown that way. Other references were put in the dialogues and the characters'names (Maybe that was a bit obvious, but whatever).

I did get a life aquatic vibe from the ship! It's great! Very large! I really enjoyed this build, but thought it was a Cat B build! :laugh: love all the little details, and I really like your character. A naturalist and not-amoral-or-insanely-incompetent scientist is great.

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Thanks Danny! Cat B isn't for me at all... I've never been good at building "closed" environments like ships. The cross-section allowed me to build in my "comfort zone".

What happened to Jacqueline? Wonderful tribute to one of my favorite movies of all time. It is on my bucket list to do the cut away scene from Life Aquatic, and this is great motivation. So good!

Thanks Shmails, it is quite a honor to receive compliments from so skilled a builder. I'd have liked to include more members of the crew, but my limited minifig parts collection and the even more limited space on the ship wouldn't have allowed me to do it either. Of course, you can pretend they're on the "cut" part of the ship...can you, please?

Great idea to do a cross section for this category! And not only that, you did it with such skill! :wub: So many great details, both inside and out :thumbup:

This is a brilliant execution of awesomeness! The cutaway view is such a fantastic idea!

Not only that, but this is an advanced build with many interesting techniques! I especially love the communications dish on the top!

The cut away effect is perfect, and I really like how you curved the bottom left corner of the ship :thumbup: Sweet stairs and engine designs too :classic: